DAFC.net
Home 20 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Brexit explained concisely
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 24 Mar 02:39

This should be compulsory viewing for all Britons.

No one - repeat NO ONE - can explain Brexit more concisely or accurately than this man. In just seven minutes he brings it all into grim context. This is black humour/satire at its very, very best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IL2XwSkFJQ
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Brexit explained concisely
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 24 Mar 11:11

Satire? He's pretty much bang on the money.

Very funny, too, but at the same time I'm thinking, this is no laughing matter,

The people we have elected to act in our best interests, have made a complete pig's ear of it. What a fekkin debacle!

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 24 Mar 12:04

Pie is an establishment tool, pushing the "incompetence" mantra....only follow the money and you'll find billionaires with pet millionaires....you won't find much incompetence.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Mar 12:53

<<Pie is an establishment tool,>>

Aw jeez, rasta... what a load of utter drivel.

Your world of conspiracies and counter-conspiracies is undermining your ability to think rationally. It is one thing to be a contrarian, but quite another to say something is black when clearly it is white. To describe Pie as "establishment" is to completely misinterpret, indeed misunderstand, the very meaning and history of satire.

I very much doubt Pie is in the pocket of any billionaires or millionaires. I see him as an authentic voice articulating the anger and frustrations of many in today's madcap world.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 08:36

Quote:

OzPar, Sun 24 Mar 12:53

Your world of conspiracies and counter-conspiracies is undermining your ability to think rationally. It is one thing to be a contrarian, but quite another to say something is black when clearly it is white. To describe Pie as "establishment" is to completely misinterpret, indeed misunderstand, the very meaning and history of satire.

I very much doubt Pie is in the pocket of any billionaires or millionaires. I see him as an authentic voice articulating the anger and frustrations of many in today's madcap world.

Ok then, with the rich having got richer and politicians entrenched more than ever, please....illustrate the incompetence?
I've yet to hear him call out the criminal activity or the personal millions made by our political leeches.
So Reese Mogg's 7 million Brexit windfall came about from incompetence aye?
The Tory donors who received millions over the course happened " by accident"
And you think that's a conspiracy theory?

I could like , you me , insult you here but I'll refrain.

Post Edited (Mon 25 Mar 08:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 11:09

Quote:

Rastapari, Mon 25 Mar 08:36

Quote:

Ok then, with the rich having got richer and politicians entrenched more than ever, please....illustrate the incompetence?
I've yet to hear him call out the criminal activity or the personal millions made by our political leeches.

Isn't he just a low rent comedian? And not a very funny one from what I've seen.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 13:11

Quote:

moviescot, Mon 25 Mar 11:09

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't he just a low rent comedian? And not a very funny one from what I've seen.

Yes he is...but he is doing a grand job of protecting the government from the questions that should be asked.
That the man in the street thinks their actions are down to incompetence speaks volumes of the dumbing down of society.
People are screaming for certain characters to lose their jobs....when really...they should be losing their freedom.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 15:06

Quote:

Rastapari, Mon 25 Mar 13:11

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes he is...but he is doing a grand job of protecting the government from the questions that should be asked.
That the man in the street thinks their actions are down to incompetence speaks volumes of the dumbing down of society.
People are screaming for certain characters to lose their jobs....when really...they should be losing their freedom.

You really think a two bit unfunny comedian has that kind of power. Until this post I never knew who he was and neither did any of my friends that I asked. Not really that influential I think.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 16:30

Theres actually 2 people that do the writing for Jonathan Pie.

I actually saw the guy that plays the role make his stand up debut at a comedy night in London called Always be Comedy and he's completely different as a person to his character.

He was bricking it and his hand was shaking that was holding the paper that had his lines on it and apologised as he lost his place a couple of times.

His show still incorporates ranty bits but he's definitely not a mouth piece for the establishment, he was just an actor whose comedy character got a bit of traction of Facebook and now he's looking at how to make the best of the opportunity it created.

If he ever polishes his live show enough to take it on tour he does touch more on the deliberate parts of folk profiting from the way Tory policies work and goes in deep on benefit cuts etc

He also takes pot shots about political correctness going too far in some cases.

His short videos tend to be ranting about incompetence but I think that's more because the format works better on platforms like Facebook. His stand up was a bit broader but I'm not sure if he'll actually take it on tour.

Quite a good watch here on him talking about the character here:

https://youtu.be/1_6APlOR_jg
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 17:11

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 25 Mar 16:30

Theres actually 2 people that do the writing for Jonathan Pie

https://youtu.be/1_6APlOR_jg

I read that. Just makes it two unfunny people really.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 19:45

Agreed, his angry political commentator thing is just an act. He makes a lot of sense for the most part but honestly its more just as a dig at the political class
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Mar 07:04

Quote:

moviescot, Mon 25 Mar 15:06

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You really think a two bit unfunny comedian has that kind of power. Until this post I never knew who he was and neither did any of my friends that I asked. Not really that influential I think.

Are you really saying someone with millions of you tube views has no power?
Here's a discussion of "incompetent" Brexit inspired by him, is that not power?

Post Edited (Tue 26 Mar 07:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Mar 07:56

Quote:

Rastapari, Tue 26 Mar 07:04

Quote:

moviescot, Mon 25 Mar 15:06

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you really saying someone with millions of you tube views has no power?
Here's a discussion of "incompetent" Brexit inspired by him, is that not power?

No it's not.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Mar 08:24

"Two-bit unfunny comedian" is a bit off the mark, Moviescot, but hey you are entitled to your opinion.

The character Jonathan Pie is much more a political satirist than a comedian, something that Britain has not really seen since Ben Elton, Alexei Sayle and Spitting Image were doing their things some 30 years ago.

I think it is fair to say that Jonathan Pie has moved well beyond the internet backwaters. This past year he has been filling theatres throughout the UK as well as in the USA and Australia. No doubt, Netflix will be his next port of call...

He does have a large and growing following and therefore is, in his own way, quite influential.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 26 Mar 10:54

I would have thought comedians, satirists etc reflect public opinion rather than influence it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Mar 11:20

On the face of it I would agree with you, wee eck. Certainly as far as comedians are concerned.

But when you think back to the sixties; to satirists like Peter Cook, to David Frost, to Private Eye, to "That was the week that was", the exposure of the Profumo Affair, Christine Keeler, etc, it is very hard to argue that the satirists of the time were not highly influential in killing off the government of Harold McMillan.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Mar 11:24

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 26 Mar 10:54

I would have thought comedians, satirists etc reflect public opinion rather than influence it.

Yes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Mar 11:29

Quote:

OzPar, Tue 26 Mar 08:24

"Two-bit unfunny comedian" is a bit off the mark, Moviescot, but hey you are entitled to your opinion.

The character Jonathan Pie is much more a political satirist than a comedian, something that Britain has not really seen since Ben Elton, Alexei Sayle and Spitting Image were doing their things some 30 years ago.

I think it is fair to say that Jonathan Pie has moved well beyond the internet backwaters. This past year he has been filling theatres throughout the UK as well as in the USA and Australia. No doubt, Netflix will be his next port of call...

He does have a large and growing following and therefore is, in his own way, quite influential.

Yes but the names you mentioned were also funny
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 26 Mar 12:24

''But when you think back to the sixties; to satirists like Peter Cook, to David Frost, to Private Eye, to "That was the week that was", the exposure of the Profumo Affair, Christine Keeler, etc, it is very hard to argue that the satirists of the time were not highly influential in killing off the government of Harold McMillan.''

Programmes like TW3 and 'The Frost Report' and publications like Private Eye were certainly ground-breaking at that time but now they have been replaced pretty much by social media sites, blogs, etc which are much more influential in framing public opinion, I think, although many of them lack the subtlety of the satirists of the 60s.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net