DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Work Until You're Dead?
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 11:49

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/state-pension-age-rise-conservatives-think-tank-centre-for-social-justice-a9064071.html

Good old right wing think tank recommends increasing the state pension age to 75. If people can't live long enough to claim their pension they've spent their working lives contributing to I guess it's a great way of saving money.

Much better than: getting corporations to pay taxes, keeping tax rates at sensible levels, tackling money laundering through London or returning to public services to public ownership and keeping the profit as Government revenue. We absolutely should all just work a bit longer.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Work Until You're Dead?
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 11:53

Apart from politicians who, for unclear reasons, still get extremely generous pensions and rarely have to worry about money when they finally do us all a favour and retire.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 11:57

WASPI campaign being fighting this for the last 7 years, awaiting decision from the Supreme Court.

As UK increases age and pays lowest State Pension in the Western world, something needs to happen, paying National Insurance for what reason?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 12:37

Almost guaranteed I never see a pension then. Government pension age is a joke already.

Nothing worse than going to a shop or calling a company and get some pensioner who really shouldn't be working that job dithering about.

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 12:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 12:44

Equally annoying being served by some youngster who obviously can't be bothered.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 12:48

Old codgers serving are a boon in hardware/DIY stores and garden centres etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 12:51

I mean, if you NEED enthusiasm from a cashier then that's your issue. There are absolutely feck all decent jobs going just now so many have to just accept misery and poverty working these dead-end jobs
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 13:00

Yet to you there is nothing worse than an older person working these miserable dead end jobs because to you they appear dithering.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 13:55

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 18 Aug 12:51

I mean, if you NEED enthusiasm from a cashier then that's your issue. There are absolutely feck all decent jobs going just now so many have to just accept misery and poverty working these dead-end jobs

Yeah, and what chance do they have of earning enough money to pay into a private/company pension.

Good to see that Ian Duncan Smith is behind this "think tank " a w**ker of the highest order, who believes that people can live on £7.00 a day , as he eats his £34.00 breakfast!🐖🐷🤡
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 22:08

The OP made the point very clearly: the money is there to deal with a longer life expectancy but the will to do so is missing. That would mean chasing down tax from corporate businesses who fund the major political parties, so we are in a situation whereby governments pretend to close the tax loopholes and big corporations pretend to pay it. It’s a policy which has fooled enough people so far and is likely to continue.

Once you are addressed by politicians as a consumer, you lose some of your rights as a citizen. I was interested to note that Andrew, presumably a younger person who has never been addressed as a citizen, said ‘There was nothing worse’ than being given slow service. That is the voice of the consumer: impatient, demanding, totally devoid of proportion yet never fully satisfied and it feeds into our politics. The end result is shooting a waiter because he does not bring a sandwich to the table.

If the UK public are happy to be addressed as consumers then 75 is a very fair age at which to receive a pension; it will of course continue to rise after that. If they are prepared to fight and be recognised as citizens then the age will be restored to 65, or even 60 as it still is in reputedly backward countries like China, Vietnam and Venezuela. The choice is theirs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 23:58

A thoroughly thought out post Sammer no doubt influenced by the debate in your current homeland. Although scarcely reported by media outlets over here I have been noting the largely quelled protests in Russia over the pension age rising to 65 and eventually 67 by 2023 (although I believe that is only for males). I assume that Russian citizens are now being referred to as consumers as well then?
Russia, like parts of inner city Scotland, has average life expectancy barely over 67 for men so government pension pots will likely not be too called upon.
For what it's worth I really can't forsee the UK government raising the pension age up to 75 in the foreseeable future. However if you are relying on the state pension as your sole income then whatever the age you are going to be in dire straits.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 10:55

Yes, Russia has gone down the same route as most other governments and raised the pension age quite dramatically. Until recently state pension was 55 for women and 60 for men. However the protests by women forced Putin to back off and their increased pension age is to be more gradual. Women have a rather special place inside Russian society as they were forced to be front line defenders of the nation when invaded by the Nazis, and then had to bring up children after the war in many cases after a husband had been killed; so they’re a bit like the NHS in the UK, an institution it is best not to be seen attacking politically.

Deep down I suspect all governments (or at least their financial ministers) grudge paying a pension, so they frame the issue as if it is an act of munificence. In truth, a pension is only deferred wages accrued during your working life. If a government has failed to invest the money well enough to provide a pension in line with what was promised, then it is in dereliction of its duty and ministers should be hauled before a court of law.

The UK government has already broken its contract with me: when I was given a National Insurance number at the age of 16 I was told that so long as I made the relevant number of contributions I would receive a state pension at 65. Except that is now 66 in my case and no doubt if I live long enough to collect it, younger people will be telling how lucky I am. I’m not. I have been cheated out of one year and will join any protest march I am able to, in order to prevent younger people being cheated out of what they have earned. I imagine the ‘aged 75’ headline intended to make younger people think themselves lucky to receive anything earlier than that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 11:11

Part of the 'con' is leading people to believe their contributions are being invested to fund their future pension. It came to light a few years ago that pensions are in fact financed by tax/NIC paid by the current working population. If the proportion of retired people to working people increases then there is a big problem and one solution is to postpone the age at which pensions are paid.

It also stokes up resentment between young and old as the younger generation feel they are paying for the older generation receiving a benefit which may not be available when they themselves retire. I think governments are also trying to convince people that, if they want to enjoy a secure and happy retirement, they should think seriously about contributing to a personal pension plan rather than depending on the state pension.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 12:49

This excellent article shows how this position with pensions happened:-

https://davidhencke.com/2018/06/05/the-downing-street-state-pension-robbery/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 14:26

Thanks LA I hadn't seen that. It is a good article.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 15:36

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 19 Aug 14:26

Thanks LA I hadn't seen that. It is a good article.

Think that my wife can recite it word for word!🤔
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 18:13

Maybe this succinct article should be automatically linked to any CDF comment which extols the wonders of Thatcherism. Or any comment which claims the Lib Dems are the moderates who can save the country. Or any comment by some Kinnockite still scratching his head and trying to make sense of the Brexit vote.

I hear the Brexiteers talk about a democratic deficit. This pension robbery is something more tangible. Osborne’s quote is something to behold, and a line of argument I should have employed when required to clock on during my factory days. Notice btw how he uses the second person pronoun to distance himself from the outrage.

‘So you’re not necessarily reducing the entitlement of people who are retired you’re just increasing the age when that entitlement kicks in. ”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 18:54

So the Tory scum spend our money and this tawdry crap is what they wheeze out to cover the theft up?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 20:11

Private pensions are yet another Tory scam.I was lucky having a small,only 30K,one to work out their maths easily. I would need to live to 95 to get that cash out.Better bit is that if I pop it my wife needs to live to 125 to get it all back.Wives only get half the private pension.
Wonder if all that excess cash is donated to charities?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 21:13

Judicial Review regarding the rapid rise in 1950's women's pension age, result to be announced Thursday 3rd October at 10.00am.

Here's hoping!!🐝🐝🐝✌👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 21:28

Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert
Date: Thu 26 Sep 21:13

Judicial Review regarding the rapid rise in 1950's women's pension age, result to be announced Thursday 3rd October at 10.00am.

Here's hoping!!🐝🐝🐝✌👍

Heres hoping LA

They did my wife out of £36,000 and many other hard working women who were cheated and lied to ..... where has all this money gone .... along with the miners pension funds .... yet under this Tory government we are trillions in debt ooer mrs
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 17:00

An example of government incompetence!

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/07/01/a-department-in-disarray-the-secret-memos-revealing-the-truth-behind-the-back-to-60-pensions-scandal/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 17:46

Unfortunately its probably not incompetence LA. I bet it was a deliberate move to avoid taking a hit in the polls.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net