DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Boris
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 20:19

A complete muppet, an embarrassment of a PM , a clown , an idiot, a buffoon.

Great entertainment though.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Boris
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 20:21

He really should have put a block of lard on the lectern
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 20:26

Showboating by the Luxembourg PM.

Why not have the press conference inside as requested?
Don’t buy the claim the internal sound system was poor.

The “sound system” outside suited him and his agenda.

Post Edited (Mon 16 Sep 21:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 21:04

Boris displaying some Churchillian spirit and running away from noisy continentals.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 21:33

Quote:

parbucks, Mon 16 Sep 20:26

Showboating by the Luxembourg PM.

Why not have the press conference inside as requested?
Don’t buy the claim the internal sound system was poor.

The “sound system” outside suited him and his agenda.

Oh so not cowardice from Boris. Just some showboating.

Absolute rubbish.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 21:54

The man is a coward, liar and charlatan. Not fit for office. He didn't want to share a podium as he knew he would be picked apart for his lies. So much for Hulk Smash.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 22:16

So a press conference planned outside with an informal/ invited(?) audience of Remainer expats ( aka tax exiles) allowed to disrupt proceedings.

Well done Boris for shutting them up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 22:22

A bit like Dunkirk really, with Boris scuttling away for survival. The mighty Luxemburg are big hitters after all- there are no easy games in Europe these days.

So we have an unelected PM who has run away from parliament and is now running away from anything remotely EU be that Eire or Luxemburg, and is running away from a referendum and will soon be running away from a General Election unless he bows to Farage's deal . Apart from that he is the greatest European statesman of our times.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 22:25

Why would tax avoiders be Remainers?

Isn't the EU bringing in a shiny new tax avoidance law in January?

And isn't that, in part, what is making the likes of BJ, JRM and other tax avoiders a wee bit panicky about getting over the line?

Tax avoiders would be firmly Leave, if they have any ambition to continue said avoidance.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 22:31

Quote:

parbucks, Mon 16 Sep 22:16

So a press conference planned outside with an informal/ invited(?) audience of Remainer expats ( aka tax exiles) allowed to disrupt proceedings.

Well done Boris for shutting them up.

Remainer tax exiles...just going to leave this here to sink in.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 22:31

'So a press conference planned outside with an informal/ invited(?) audience of Remainer expats ( aka tax exiles) allowed to disrupt proceedings.
Well done Boris for shutting them up.'

All Brits abroad are tax exiles? I wish I could claim the same. I'm still paying for this feudal pantomime.

Anyhow Boris is returning to his bunker to do what Hitler did when he shut the ruddy Bolsheviks up once and for all. They wanted to arrest him in the Reichstag but he was far too smart for that and Adolf did them over big time. Reality? Stuff it! A man on a mission answers to something higher than that. Suicide is victory. Survival is death.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 22:32

“The mighty Luxembourg “.

I assume then you support the said European state under its former PM, JC Juncker, that was instrumental in setting up the the sweetheart tax deals that allow companies like Amazon, Starbucks, Facebook etc in their tax avoidance schemes?
The same schemes that rob this country of hundreds of million pounds in taxation.

Just saying like....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 Sep 22:42

“All Brits abroad are tax exiles”

Sammer please get it right for once. I never said that. Actually read what I said in the context of Luxembourg. OK?

Luxembourg is a tax haven. Most expats who live there are almost certainly on some kind of deal: tax, financial or otherwise so they are almost certain to be Remainers.
Why live there?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 01:22

Tax dodging is an international sport at which Luxemburg is almost certainly Olympic standard I grant you. Then again they maybe don’t have the off shore tax havens that the UK seems to have in abundance, the ones that never seem to feature in the speeches of Farage and Johnson when they are talking about building a better, fairer Britain.

From my perspective the EU is pretending to hunt down corporation tax, ditto the UK, while Trump has pretty much announced that his US corporations are too big to be taxed by foreigners, so tax them at your peril.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 06:58

Radio Luxembourg, remember it well. Apart from that...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 11:49

I wish the OP hadn't headed the thread "Boris." His name is Johnson. Why make him sound like he's our favourite uncle.

The only other PM I can think off who was often referred to by her first name was "Maggie" Thatcher and she was surely nobody's favourite aunt?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 12:01

It's weird how the media often refer to him as 'Boris' as well, as if he's the family pet rather than our prime minister. Mind you, seeing him interacting with the more professional and statesmanlike politicians of the EU, maybe the pet name is appropriate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 12:50

His name isn't even Boris. It's Alexander Boris De Pfeffel Johnson.

Liked his best attempt at a Monty Python sketch yesterday, Brave brave brave brave Sir Boris...

If Corbyn or Sturgeon had capped themselves like that over some boos Mario, Parbucks and Co would be red faced with seeth and hysteria
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 13:50

Quote:

parbucks, Mon 16 Sep 22:32

I assume then you support the said European state under its former PM, JC Juncker, that was instrumental in setting up the the sweetheart tax deals that allow companies like Amazon, Starbucks, Facebook etc in their tax avoidance schemes?
The same schemes that rob this country of hundreds of million pounds in taxation.

Just saying like....

Erm...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/04/amazon-eu-tax-irish-government-apple

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2015/10/dutch-tax-deal-with-starbucks-is-illegal-says-brussels/

And yet HMRC (they're ours yeah?) Agree to:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9723904/Starbucks-close-to-tax-deal-with-HMRC-report.html

https://www.taxjustice.net/2018/08/10/why-is-amazon-still-paying-little-tax-in-the-uk/

So the reality is the EU has been trying to close down tax loop holes but Member States especially the UK have been dire at making the large corporations pay their tax.

I do love how team Brexit just continually make up pretty much anything to suit their agendas.

And as for tax avoidance in general:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-corporate-tax-avoidance-havens-justice-network-dodging-a8933661.html

What about money laundering?

https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/money-laundering-why-the-uk-does-not-prosecute-it/

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/economics-and-finance/london-the-money-laundering-capital-of-the-world

If only there was the will power to take care of our own first eh?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 14:05

I call him Boris because it goes with Buffoon.

Can’t call him Mr Johnson because that would look like I was showing him a modicum of respect.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 14:55

Wasn't having a go Desperado haha, I just like outing the frauds real name as he clearly feels Alex is a bit too common for an Eton boy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 15:12

What a great post from lpf further up - not for the first time either. It will be interesting to see if parbucks has any kind of reasoned response to being called out for being err, "economical with the truth. " ☺

Quote:

desparado, Tue 17 Sep 14:05

I call him Boris because it goes with Buffoon.

Can’t call him Mr Johnson because that would look like I was showing him a modicum of respect.

Maybe you should have headed the thread " Boris the Buffon" then, desperado? 😃

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 16:17

I am sure I have started a thread before titled “ Boris the buffoon”. I try my best to vary things.... a little.....adds to the suspense. 🤓
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 17:32

Rather think that shameful stunt by a completely irrelevant leader may actually backfire and only add to Boris' current popularity among the country at large.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 18:38

Was that the same speech he was planning to make if BJ had been there?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 18:40

Obviously not, which is why the word 'stunt' is misplaced. You could call it a ‘stunt’ if there had been a deliberate plan to ‘empty seat’ Johnson, but to my knowledge he made his own decision late in the day not to appear at a press conference. His host decided to fulfil the promise to speak to the press. That is more politeness than a ‘stunt.’

There are over 1 million UK citizens working or living in the EU and while they will elicit limited sympathy due to their generally being better off than the average UK citizen, they are fully entitled to state their case openly and in public.

Johnson’s problems remain the same as the day he took office. Parliament will obstruct a crash-out Brexit and nothing short of a military coup (which he is likely to lose or we can kiss goodbye to NATO) or a General Election can change that arithmetic. He is stuck. He needs a General Election that might change the parliamentary arithmetic to push through Brexit, but he cannot win a General Election without having achieved Brexit. Nothing has changed. He is in the same position as Theresa May and we still await the promise that, unlike her, he would have EU bigwigs shaking in their boots. Even the Daily Express, in an astonishing moment of candour, admitted Johnson had been humiliated in Luxemburg yesterday.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 20:08

Quote:

desparado, Tue 17 Sep 16:17

I am sure I have started a thread before titled “ Boris the buffoon”. I try my best to vary things.... a little.....adds to the suspense. 🤓

Do you have "Johnsons out" locked and loaded for when he gets hounded out?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 20:26

Great Post and research londonparsfan
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 21:09

“Favorable Tax Laws

Luxembourg draws the largest corporations from around the world that are seeking asylum from large corporate taxation, specifically in countries such as the United States where the corporate tax rate of 35% was once the third-highest in the world. In comparison, Luxembourg has a corporate tax rate of 21%. Although, as of 2018, that's now the maximum U.S. corporate tax rate as well, Luxembourg offers other tax advantages.

For example, Luxembourg charges foreign corporations an extremely low tax rate to send money into and out of the country. Corporations that funnel profits through Luxembourg are charged around 1%. This is a huge incentive for large corporations that have the opportunity to save billions in corporate tax bills by moving cash to Luxembourg at such low rates.

The Bottom Line
Luxembourg is the most notable tax haven around the world. The country offers secrecy and advantageous tax laws for large corporations. U.S. corporations such as PepsiCo, Inc., American International Group, Inc., and Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. are well-known for creating subsidiaries and branches in offshore tax havens such as Luxembourg to cut taxes.”

Thank you JC Juncker!

By the way I never at any time said Luxembourg was the only country to offer tax incentives and as indicated above the Irish and Dutch are pretty good at it also. It’s just the overall hypocrisy of the way the EU works.

Funny how the EU dread the U.K. becoming a low tax regime in the event of a no deal Brexit.

By the way I would question the political neutrality of some of the sources LPF has quoted.

Post Edited (Tue 17 Sep 21:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 22:22

Good stuff Parbucks. The best argument for Leninism I have seen in many a year.
It’s not the greatest moral argument of course: Luxemburg is better at tax dodging than the UK, albeit LPF’s statistics suggested otherwise. The over riding conclusion for all that, is the system is geared towards tax avoidance on a grand scale no humble citizen could really comprehend. In short, not all all gangsters are capitalists, but all capitalists are gangsters. They steal public money as a way of life with a nod and a wink from their friends in government, the ones who welcome funds around the time of electoral campaigns. An oligarchy in other words.

The ancient Greeks, who Johnson claims to have read in the original, understood the political necessity for division of powers. Many of these are still accepted if not quite enacted in practice.

An independent judiciary for one, otherwise the government becomes a tyranny. Watch this week's legal debate on prorogation with interest.

A separation of church and state otherwise you are at the mercy of religious maniacs. Interesting that only the UK and Iran I think have guaranteed places in their parliament for religious groups.

A free press, although that is now a sick joke with major media outlets controlled either by the state or billionaires. Google and Facebook are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

And worst of all in a capitalist democracy, is the failure to separate the legislature from the financial sector. Legislators should never, as any sensible person since Plato onwards would grasp in an instant, be in a position to benefit financially from the laws they pass. This has been the norm under our form of democracy since as long as I can remember and is being exposed under pressure from Brexit. Maybe some good will come of Brexit after all.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 22:37

Except in this case Sammer the laws they choose to ignore to benefit financially
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Sep 23:00

Luxembourg isn't where the elite hide their money. Ask some questions about the City of London.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 18 Sep 13:53

This ^

Luxembourg did get rich this way, but they have been clamping down a lot in recent years and sharing a lot of tax information with other countries. After Brexit the UK will be perfectly placed to take Luxembourg's place and soak up all that lovely tax-dodging cash. I guess we won't need food banks any more!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 00:37

It was no stunt. The chambers could hold a dozen or so reporters and they had 120. It was outside as agreed by Boris in advance for that reason.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 12:23

In some more trouble?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/exclusive-boris-johnson-overruled-officials-to-take-friend-jennifer-arcuri-on-jet-set-trade-missions-5v0clbmmj?wgu=270525_54264_1569237681906_dc7d831f90&wgexpiry=1577013681&utm_source=planit&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=22278
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 22:32

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topic Originator: parbucks
Date: Mon 16 Sep 22:16

REALLY?

Tax exiles? I'm pretty sure that, despite my best efforts, I pay significantly more tax than the majority on here.
(no, not all, I'm not massively paid, but better than I would get in Edinburgh...)

For the record, Luxembourg residents/workers ARE taxed - it's COMPANIES that were the beneficiaries of Junker's dodgy tax deals, never individuals.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic Originator: parbucks
Date: Mon 16 Sep 22:42

Luxembourg is a tax haven. Most expats who live there are almost certainly on some kind of deal: tax, financial or otherwise so they are almost certain to be Remainers.
Why live there?

Jesus, STFU about stuff that you patently know sod all about.

'Some kind of tax deal'?
I'll bet you every fekkin penny that you own, that neither me or any of my colleagues are on ANY 'tax deal'.

Why live here?
1. Higher salaries (yes, TAXED salaries)
2. Higher standard of living
3. Better education system
4. Significantly less muppets looking for a fight after 3 lagers
5. Much lower crime rates
6. Better weather
7. Easy access to central Europe
8. Lower fuel prices
Need more?

As for the rest of your outdated 'investopedia' copy/paste pihs, NONE of the 3 US companies quoted are here.

Try Paypal, Skype or Amazon and you might be a bit closer.
However, they came here BEFORE recent changes in the VAT laws to benefit from the 15% VAT rate on intra EU sales, and having sunk the setup costs, it's not beneficial to move again.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 22:38

Also for the record...

The main noise was coming from some bloody Canadian with a loudhailer.

The majority of the 'crowd' were indeed ex-pats, almost ALL working in the EU institutions.
In fact, I don't know of anyone that was there, that doesn't work in one of the institutions (or family member does)

EIB, EIF, Commission, Court of Justice etc are all in Luxembourg.

They are ALL petrified of losing their inflated EU salaries, perks, pensions
-simple self-preservation, nothing to do with rights or wrongs of Brexit.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 22:56

Imagine folk being worried about losing their jobs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 23:01

I was clarifying the motivation, not decrying them for it.

Anyway, the EU has already stated that none would lose their jobs, but it can easily be surmised that the continuing gravy train would stop...
- I know families where 3 generations have worked/are working in the EU, earning being paid way more than the job is worth.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 23:07

Sorry mate I'd read that as you were taking a bit of a dig.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 20:41

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 22:37

I honestly have no idea what Johnson is playing at, and I'm not sure he does either. I suppose Cummings is giving him advice from The Ladybird Book of Divide and Rule.

I wonder who is going to clear up the mess.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 00:16

Where's the punishment?

If I had prevented Parliament from sitting for over a fortnight, I'd be getting 25 years in the nick!

It's being said that he might want to suspend Parliament for a few more days to have the Tory conference.

I hope the response is, "You've already shut down Parliament illegally for over a fortnight. You gonna give us those days back?"

No more.

Post Edited (Thu 26 Sep 00:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 07:06

He's alright really. He's had a glowing reference from the most powerful man on the planet,

"Boris is a good friend of mine. I think he's doing a great job. "

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 07:12

Parliament was already going to be "closed" for conference season - as is the norm. The prorogation was to be an extra 5 days (I think) once conferences were over.

So actually they've been recalled earlier than they were going to.

Other than a few angry left wingers being very hypocritical about language it was difficult to see what yesterday actually achieved.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 09:45

Ref: Captain Desmond Fancey
Date: Thu 26 Sep 07:12

From what I've read, you're right on one point CDF - Parliament would normally shut down for three weeks during conference season. But he was wanting five weeks, which is an extra 14 days, not five as you suggest.

And I agree that it's hard to see what was achieved by yesterdays PMQs? (You're referring to PMQs? I think some other useful work was done.)

<<< hypocritical about language >>>

You mean repeated references to a "surrender" Act, "betrayal", etc.?
No I think the Act should be referred to by its proper title. I think there is some substance to the concerns put forward that such terms can inflame some Leave voters to dangerous levels.

As far as Bo having the negotiating rug pulled out from under him ( I think he used those words), seems to me that's far more likely a consequence of him doing nothing to build enough concensus to win a vote on a deal.

Post Edited (Thu 26 Sep 09:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 10:04

I watched Boris yesterday bumble his way through without a hint of remorse Deliberatly provoke the opposition on several occasions, drag Jo Cox into the brexit debate and dismiss a genuine point as humbug Most of it was school boy stuff at best
He is a crass liability
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 10:25

Ref: Buspasspar
Date: Thu 26 Sep 10:04

That "humbug" response was to a woman MP who was seriously concerned about threats towards MPs. She said some threats even quoted those kind of words.

"Never heard such humbug in all my life," he said.

That's the person who must make crucial decisions and undertake sensitive negotiations on our behalf.

Why is there no mechanism by which to discipline the PM? e.g. In other public venues they go to great lengths to let it be known' inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated.' I think the humbug remark was worthy of at least several weeks in the sin-bin. Yeh, suspend him!

It seems the only form of discipline for a PM is to call a vote of no confidence which the opposition won't do yet because it may give him a chance to impose a no deal?

Post Edited (Thu 26 Sep 11:30)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 10:40

"I watched Boris yesterday bumble his way through without a hint of remorse Deliberatly provoke the opposition on several occasions, drag Jo Cox into the brexit debate and dismiss a genuine point as humbug Most of it was school boy stuff at best
He is a crass liability"

Clearly you were watching carefully edited highlights, or only seeing what you wanted to see.

Jo Cox was brought into the debate by a Labour MP and not by Boris Johnston.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 10:42

No Captain I watched the whole shooting match from start to end
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 10:55

Then my second point stands rather than my first. Either way Boris Johnson categorically did not "drag" Jo Cox into the debate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 11:19

The labour MP, Paula Sherriff was the one to mention Jo Cox and it was not in regard to Brexit at all but to what she felt to be dangerous language being used by the PM such as I've mentioned above.

It was the PM who connected Jo Cox to Brexit when he said the best way to honour her would be to "get Brexit done."

So I agree with Busspass, Johnson did "drag" or at least "connect" Jo Cox to Brexit in a way that assumes she would agree with him. I suggest he did it to try and score points on the back of Jo's memory and as the clip I've hot-linked below shows, he dismissed Ms Sherriff's concerns, calling them "humbug".

Here is the relevant exchange between the MP and PM:

https://youtu.be/bButYZeebXs?t=183

Post Edited (Thu 26 Sep 11:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 12:12

And her husband was none too impressed with it either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 12:38

Quote:

londonparsfan, Thu 26 Sep 12:12

And her husband was none too impressed with it either.

Not the only husband he's upset. It's just a big game to him, thoughtless Baffon
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 13:08

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Thu 26 Sep 10:55

Then my second point stands rather than my first. Either way Boris Johnson categorically did not "drag" Jo Cox into the debate.

No but he did drag her into the Brexit element of the debate. The labour MP never mentioned Brexit, just that his language was offensive and being used by other people including death threats. He called that humbug.. nice. He then brought up Brexit in the context of Jo.
He is a completely odious man and I'm ashamed that he is the leader of the UK.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 13:26

Since when was a phrase like "surrender act" offensive ? It's exactly what Benn's bill is.

The hypocrisy of the left and remain when it comes to inflammatory language is absolutely breathtaking.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 14:05

It's not offensive, it's inflammatory.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 14:36

Remainer MP’s, many of whom are unrepresentative of the wishes of their constituents, called for Boris to resign but refused to sack him.
They want a unity government but cannot unify behind Corbyn.
They revere parliamentary sovereignty but fear the calls for an election.

By their actions at every stage they have undermined the effectiveness of the
government’s negotiations with the EU. They don’t have the honesty to say it’s not about “no deal” but “ no Brexit”.

The decision by the Supreme Court and the Court of Session to meddle in politics and the parliamentary process against historic convention will have unintended consequences.
In future, it is highly probable that appointments which hitherto were unopposed will require candidates to declare their political affiliation and/or any potential conflicts of interest. Their Lordships have only themselves to blame as by their actions we will move closer to a politicised judiciary similar to the USA.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 14:37

Quote:

Wotsit, Thu 26 Sep 14:05

It's not offensive, it's inflammatory.

Exactly. It will wind up a number of right wing hotheads who do not need winding up.

This country is lurching ever more to the right, taking it's lead from the USA, as are a number of European countries. It's quite alarming as we've seen the horrific consequences of fascist regimes in the not-too-distant past.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 15:31

Bojo is certainly on a roll: that's him just lost another vote in the HoC. Last week he tried to close down parliament, but this week parliament has decided to all but close down his Party Conference in Manchester.

If Johnson is a master tactician then clearly much of the country is incapable of understanding his political genius. To many of us he comes across as innumerate and inadequate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 16:01

Cummings' tactics are fairly clear.

He has been targeting Johnson's coronation since day 1, and the only missing piece is the election. The last few months has just been an endless stream of election campaigning where he is banking on sacrificing 20-something largely remain seats in the hope of grabbing 40+ largely leave seats.

The Brexit policy is fairly simple, too. An extension will be reluctantly requested, but there will be a lot more 'surrender' talk between now and then in the hope of further improving his election chances.

The only thing that isn't clear to me is how and when they are going to call the election.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 16:34

Thu 26 Sep 13:26

<<< Since when was a phrase like "surrender act" offensive ? It's exactly what Benn's bill is.

The hypocrisy of the left and remain when it comes to inflammatory language is absolutely breathtaking. >>>

You are willing to overlook entirely that Johnson was completely out of order over his vicious "humbug" remark. A remark that in any other walk of life I imagine would have got him suspended at least.

As I and others have pointed out, "Surrender Act" is inflammatory. We don't want MPs getting death threats and using such terms are neither helpful nor accurate, nor do they indicate that the person using them is a reasonable, fair-minded person, as MPs, PMs and dotnetters should be, should they not?

I heard Jo Cox's husband on TV last night saying that another MP was the subject of an assassination attempt that was foiled by the police.

Put it this way Captain, will you join with me in saying that death threats to and assassination attempts on MPs are to be condemned?

Post Edited (Thu 26 Sep 16:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 18:16

I was actually quite stunned and sickened by Johnson's performance yesterday , it really was most unstatesman like and did not dignify the office of Prime Minister. He is clearly unfit to hold the position.

He had the chance to show humility and apologise but instead chose to go on the all out offensive. To say he disagrees with eleven of the most learned judges in the country is quite breathtaking in its arrogance.He is also trying to drive the notion that the judiciary are not independent , an extremely dangerous route to pursue. His words will have consequences , I really do feel he is potentially stoking up civil unrest.

I was watching Parliament again this morning and the atmosphere couldn't have been more marked than yesterday. It was very subdued and Dominic Rabb couldn't have been more polite and defferential.

Perhaps they realised they really did go too far.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 18:22

All this language is frankly pathetic and dangerous. A woman died partly because of this nonsense.

I've said it many times but Westminster is a disgrace of s parliament. Rather than shouting, jeering and booing maybe they can get on with running the country.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 18:41

Thu 26 Sep 13:26

<<< Since when was a phrase like "surrender act" offensive ? It's exactly what Benn's bill is.

The hypocrisy of the left and remain when it comes to inflammatory language is absolutely breathtaking. >>>

Captain .... Perhaps it is more offensive to some rather than others

I think the important point here is that after he was asked to moderate his term he repeated it every time he stood up deliberately goading the opposition He also said if my old memory serves me right the surrender bill or capitulation bill whatever you want to call it

I know in every walk of life we are all different and have different ideologies It is the basis of who we are what we are and what we believe as individuals to be right

However even the most ardent loyal conservative must be cringing every time Boris opens his mouth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 19:25

I read that somebody has been arrested after somebody went to Jess Phillips' office and allegedly tried to smash the windows whist shouting that she is a fascist.

I wonder why the person picked on her in particular?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 19:26

Kiss of death - he's being back by Duncan-Smith. Doing some epic "whitabootery"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 20:03

There is no defence for the conduct in Parliament yesterday on all sides but that is reflective of the febrile atmosphere that has been building for months.

I would point out that the only individual member who was asked to withdraw his
remarks by the Speaker as unparliamentary was the leader of the SNP.
Just saying.....

Post Edited (Thu 26 Sep 20:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 20:18

Quote:

parbucks, Thu 26 Sep 20:03

There is no defence for the conduct in Parliament yesterday on all sides but that is reflective of the febrile atmosphere that has been building for months.

I would point out that the only individual member who was asked to withdraw his
remarks by the Speaker as unparliamentary was the leader of the SNP.
Just saying.....

He wasn't asked to withdraw his remarks just nod his head in agreement that he wasn't calling Johnston a liar for anything he said in Parliament.
Some of us did watch it....

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 20:44

AAPS

Come off it. He was asked to withdraw however he did it. It won’t hurt to concede the point.

Post Edited (Thu 26 Sep 20:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 21:21

Parbucks

AAPS is correct

But there were also many members close to the political conduct edge I watched the whole thing in Awe, Anger, Frustration and disbelief
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 21:41

opic Originator: parbucks
Date: Mon 16 Sep 22:32

Just saying like....

parbucks maybe just my interpretation but I dont think you are quite grasping this properly
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 22:23

^^^
Agreed. I don’t understand what your point is.🧐
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 22:47

Language that incites civil unrest is not accidental, that's the whole point of it.

There is no chance of Johnson delivering on his fanciful 31st October Brexit unless he can present himself as the solution to the very problem he has encouraged. The threat of Tommy Robinson types smashing windows in an orgy of violence is part and parcel of his desperate bid to hold on to power. His Reichstag Fire tactic has been hosed down by the Supreme Court so he is left with the threat of Kristallnacht.

A couple of dead Remainers might be a price worth paying for the greater good in his eyes, as his language implied yesterday. The fascists websites are cheering Johnson on to more of the same.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 23:03

Wotsit said “It's not offensive, it's inflammatory.”

Sammer just reflect for once through your red fogged eyes what you have just said above.
Unbelievable, but sadly you and your ilk are part of the problem
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 23:40

I can't really locate the source of your frustration.

I used the Reichstag fire metaphor some weeks ago and it turns out that Johnson did, indeed, wish to close his parliament. So I was justified then.

Yesterday Johnson used language intended to inflame and when called to account dismissed the complaint as trivial humbug. He has been cheered to the heavens on fascist websites since his sterling performance. So I am perfectly entitled to draw the conclusion that he wishes to foment public disorder to bolster his position as PM, which is, to say the least, tenuous under the democratic structures in which he has to operate. His henchman Cummings made clear that the answer to potential violence was to agree with Brexit this very evening, only a few hours before I wrote. This is a policy, not an accident.

I'm not sure I have any ilk, but I will call out fascism when I see it. Apologists for fascism, those who think they can benefit by going along with it, are eventually paid in kind. Look at the newsreels or cavorting Berliners in 1938, then look at the footage of Berlin (mostly red fogged Soviet) from 1945. Spot the difference.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 00:19

I won’t go to any great lengths but Boris has been taken to task for the use of the word “surrender” yet you freely use words like “Reichstag Fire tactic” and “ Kristallnacht”. If they are not inflammatory.,.,...what is?

You then go on to surmise “ A couple of dead Remainers might be the price worth paying in his eyes....” as though that was a fact rather than your biased opinion.

You use the word “fascism” at will because you disagree with a contrary opinion.

Yours in not the language of tolerance and objectivity.

Post Edited (Fri 27 Sep 00:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 01:44

I am not PM. I have fewer responsibilities. If a Remainer MPs office is firebombed in the next few days then I think Johnson is more responsible than myself; unless of course the culprit is an avid DAFC reader in which case I might have to answer for providing imagination. But the killer of Jo Cox managed well enough without any blog from me.

I am reflecting the WW2 language employed by Johnson since his coronation.

And most importantly, my use of this language is different from Johnson's. He wishes to employ the rhetoric of 'traitors' and 'surrender' in order to stoke the fires of civil disturbance, hopefully enabling him to call in the army to control the Tommy Robinsons and present himself as the protector of UK democracy. (Stop laughing at the back)

I am using language associated with the fascism of Mussolini and Hitler in order to expose what is being done under your eyes. Johnson is prepared to break the law to keep power. He is a fascist, a man who was never elected to PM and was in New York instead of Brussels when he was knocked back by the Supreme Court. That tells you where his priorities lie for Airstrip One. He is a traitor as much as any of those fingered by Jacob Rees Mogg.

BTW, some of my ilk seem to be members of the Supreme Court. Eleven of them in fact. There are so many Marxists in the UK the wonder is it was not leading the world revolution some time back.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 06:46

I originally thought that Johnson was little more than a fairly harmless, eccentric buffoon, with friends in high places, but he's much more than that.

It's difficult to escape the conclusion that he's a dangerous, unscrupulous and egotistical individual, who will stop at nothing to cement his place in history.

The laws of the land don't allow it? Change/ stick 2 fingers up to the laws.

Parliament won't allow it? Sack those MPs who voted against him and hold a General Election.

Can't/won't secure a deal with the EU? Leave without a deal.

Just over 17 million people voted to leave the EU, after being fed with screeds of misinformation and downright lies, by a small group of politicians with their own little agenda, with little or no idea of what kind of a future they were voting for.

How many people didn't vote leave? What about their rights?

Post Edited (Fri 27 Sep 06:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 06:56

Never mind GG, the ranks of the dim old duffers who voted the wrong way are being thinned on a daily basis by the Grim Reaper.
Ditto for the other Referendum you lost.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 07:16

Quote:

Mario, Fri 27 Sep 06:56

Never mind GG, the ranks of the dim old duffers who voted the wrong way are being thinned on a daily basis by the Grim Reaper.
Ditto for the other Referendum you lost.

Nothing to do with "dim old duffers" as you so quaintly describe our senior voters, who voted as they saw fit, according to the information available to them at the time. Of course, we should never have been promised a Referendum in the first place, but it did help the Tories to win an outright majority by stopping the haemorrhage of votes to UKIP.

David Cameron now says he thought Remain would win and the UK would have been able to drive reform within the EU. Pity he didn't just get on with that instead of playing the Referendum game.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 07:25

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 07:32

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 07:46

"Can't/won't secure a deal with the EU? Leave without a deal."

Which has always been the default legal position - as voted for by the majority of MPs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 07:51

"I read that somebody has been arrested after somebody went to Jess Phillips' office and allegedly tried to smash the windows whist shouting that she is a fascist.

I wonder why the person picked on her in particular?"

Given her previous "I'll stab him in the chest" remarks about Corbyn, who's to say it wasn't one of his followers. Or do you have evidence to say it was as a result of anything the Prime Minister said.

Some more examples from good old non-inflammatory, non-offensive Jess:

Yet, Boris comes out with words like "surrender" and "humbug" and suddenly he's the devil incarnate !

As I said earlier, the hypocrisy is absolutely breathtaking.

The good old days

Post Edited (Fri 27 Sep 08:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 08:17

Quote:

Captain Desmond Fancey, Fri 27 Sep 07:46

"Can't/won't secure a deal with the EU? Leave without a deal."

Which has always been the default legal position - as voted for by the majority of MPs.

Must try harder, wouldn't you agree? I don't think there can be many informed people who believe that leaving without a deal is a better option.

Your steadfast loyalty to Johnson is astounding. Do you honestly think he is the man to take this country forward? His leadership qualities are virtually non existent. Being obstinate/ pig headed is no attribute.

Neither is megalomania.

Post Edited (Fri 27 Sep 08:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 08:54

"Must try harder, wouldn't you agree?"

We've been trying for 3 years. The EU have indicated more or less that they have no intention on budging. The proposed deal - nothing more than a surrender (sorry) treaty - has been rejected 3 times by Parliament and every opinion poll shows it carries no favour with the public.

That's not said out of any kind of loyalty to Johnson because I don't have any. However, I think he's far better to take this country forward than any of the other leaders and nobody else jumps out from the Tory benches who I think would do a better job.

Swinson has already said she wouldn't respect another leave vote in the event of another referendum and Corbyn would, quite frankly, take us back to the middle ages.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 10:16

There was a woman on Channel 4 news last night being interviewed about brexit. She said she'd already had to sink 40k into her business due to the brexit plans. She exports shell fish to Spain and was concerned about port delays and that her business could go under if she lost the EU market. They asked her if she'd still vote leave. She said yes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 10:30

Sometimes people just need to be protected from themselves.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 10:57

Quote:

jake89, Fri 27 Sep 10:16

There was a woman on Channel 4 news last night being interviewed about brexit. She said she'd already had to sink 40k into her business due to the brexit plans. She exports shell fish to Spain and was concerned about port delays and that her business could go under if she lost the EU market. They asked her if she'd still vote leave. She said yes.

What a shame for her. Almost as stupid as being lactose intolerant but having a glass of full fat milk every morning. Turkeys voting for Christmas ffs
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 12:31

I'd be more inclined to feel sorry for anybody who watches Channel 4 "news" than I would this woman.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 17:21

Channel 4 News won more awards than any other news programme this year. Of course, brexiteers aren't strong on facts. 😬
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 17:37

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 21:27

More trouble on the horizon, now under investigation by police regarding the links to the American woman!🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Superally  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 04:12

Quote:

jake89, Fri 27 Sep 17:21

Channel 4 News won more awards than any other news programme this year. Of course, brexiteers aren't strong on facts. 😬

Unless they are on the side of a red bus!

2009/10, 2010/11, 2013/14, 2015/16 dafc.net Prediction League Champion

It's a well known medical fact that some men were born two drams below par.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 10:35

Quote:

Superally, Sat 28 Sep 04:12

Quote:

jake89, Fri 27 Sep 17:21

Unless they are on the side of a red bus!

They love a lie to be fair. Lies are their bread and butter
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsAreTheLoveOfMyLife  
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 02:15

End of the day... Folk who voted leave are idiots, and those who voted remain are intelligent. Simple science.

The Tories are the worst group of people on earth, hands down... And I include some of the worlds most prominent terror organisations in that. Not a single redeeming quality in any of them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-adise  
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 08:10

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 08:16

And the Tories have been illegally selling arms to the Saudis...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 09:22

I honestly think England is screwed for the next 20-30 years.
Johnson can, and probably will, win an election and will push through some of the biggest changes Britain has ever seen.
5 years won't be enough to see the car crash for what it is, so he might even bluster his was through another election.
Then, and only then, will England start to repair itself.

If there isn't a united Ireland and independent Scotland in the next 10 years then I'm afraid we will be going down with the ship.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 22:37

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/queen-sought-advice-sacking-prime-minister-638320

Don't try it again?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 23:02

So he apologised to the Queen but not the British public?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:51

He seems to visit a different hospital every week. I'm beginning to worry about his health.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 19:29

He thinks it doesn't count if you lie in a hospital.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 22:00

I was mucking about today and had a wee look at Billy Bunters profile

Now if we change the name from Bunter to Boris is there a similarity ?

Bunter's defining characteristic is his greediness and dramatically overweight appearance. His character is, in many respects, a highly obnoxious anti-hero. As well as his gluttony, he is also obtuse, lazy, racist, inquisitive, deceitful, slothful, self-important and conceited. These defects, however, are not recognised by Bunter. In his own mind, he is an exemplary character: handsome, talented and aristocratic; and he dismisses most of those around him as humbug
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 21:33

His handwriting is worse than his haircut
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50160505
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 22:06

Sarah Wollaston is a hypocrite.

In 2011 she supported a motion that MP’s who defected from the party they were elected to represent should immediately stand in a by-election.

She is now in her third party since the 2017 election.

I don’t think Boris needs to take any crap from her.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 19:29

Wee extract from Dominics letter to J.C.

If I win a majority in this election, we will then ratify the great new deal that I have negotiated, get Brexit done in January and the country will move on.

If you win a majority, then you will, I assume, implement your policy: that is, you will ask for another delay after 31 January 2020 to give you the time both to renegotiate a new deal then have a referendum, in which you may or may not campaign for your own deal.

Love the wording the Great New Deal that I have negotiated
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 19:42

“The Great New Deal “ bpp.

You mean the one that your mate Sammer on an earlier thread said: “He can’t do a deal with the EU who regard him as an idiot” and “There is no EU Brexit deal available under him”.

There is a new deal on offer thanks to Boris.
They said the Withdrawal Agreement could not be opened or the backstop removed.
Give him some credit.

Shame the charlatans in Westminster continue to defy the will of the people.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 19:55

Hello Parbucks hope ye are well

He is an Idiot pb and is proving it every time he opens his mouth with his private school boy debating society bluster .... He has never improved or moved on from those days

The charlatans have recognised him for what he is .... A dangerous loose canon in the pocket of Dominic and his hedge fund friends who are collectively quite prepared to line their own pockets before the good of the Country

Now the dreaded backstop pb ..... His own euro ministers do not even understand the re-negotiated terms in fact only today they have changed their minds on the border checks and tariffs .... Why ? .... because I think they actually had to sit down and read this great new Theresa May amended bill and realise the future damage it will cause
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 20:57

I don’t believe that the EU takes Johnson seriously for they recognise that his bluster is empty since he has no mandate from the UK electorate as of now. Were Johnson to win a Tory majority at a GE then their attitude would have to change, but as things stand his Churchillian rhetoric will be understood as attempts to rally his own party. His ‘threat’ to crash-out the EU would have aroused bewilderment rather than fear in the EU, but again they probably realised his target audience was domestic.

The deal Johnson returned with- this after claiming he would not be crawling over to Brussels to surrender- was handed to him by the EU in the knowledge it was unlikely to achieve anything. They knew it was unlikely to pass through parliament since it effectively removed Northern Ireland from the UK, asked the UK treasury to collect EU taxes and did not have any ‘tasty’ element like something on UK fishing rights to make it seem attractive. He was handed a ‘Peace in our Time’ deal similar to Chamberlain and was waving it around for a few days until he realised the UK public are not buying it.

Now Johnson claims he wants an election. He might well be disappointed. The political opposition know that the best way to bury Johnson -and Brexit as well- is to leave him in office, but not in power, for as long as possible. Every day he fails to ‘deliver’ on Brexit he, and the project he has decided to use as a route to power, are weakened. When he took office he had a majority of 1: following his and Cummings’ idiotic caperings that is now nearer a minority of around 30 and likely to fall further. I think the opposition intend for Johnson to bleed to death, slowly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 22:05

Sammer

You protest too much. Just accept reality and democracy.

Boris will win a GE and Brexit will happen
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 22:18

Believe he needs a 2/3 majority at Westminster?
They'll just let him stew in his own juice!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 22:32

The fixed term Parliament is another of those laws made on the hoof without considering unintended consequences.

It was passed to stop the LibDems as part of the previous coalition withdrawing support and creating a minority government with the power to control the election process.

Guess what? We have a minority government that can’t pass legislation and we are in a state of paralysis and urgent domestic matters cannot get solved.

Who was the architect of the fixed term Parliament Act?
None other than the Blessed Oliver (Letwin ). The same guy that helped design the Poll Tax and the same useless clown that spiked the Withdrawal Bill last weekend.
He is more dangerous than Guy Fawkes.

Post Edited (Thu 24 Oct 22:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 00:49

Another view might be that Letwin is, albeit by accident, one of our great parliamentarians.

He helped design the Poll Tax which eventually ridded the country of the Thatcher administration and advanced the case for Scottish independence.

His fixed term parliaments act and recent amendment to the Withdrawal Bill could help bury neo-conservatism camouflaged at present under the banner of Brexit.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 06:47

Johnson claimed it was HIS great NEW deal then in an interview said they didn't need time to review it as it was very similar to May's deal...so not his deal and not new?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 09:25

Quote:-

Topic Originator: jake89
Date: Fri 25 Oct 06:47

Johnson claimed it was HIS great NEW deal then in an interview said they didn't need time to review it as it was very similar to May's deal...so not his deal and not new?

Spot on jake89 it is Mays deal with a few concessions thrown in for the benefit of the EU
I wonder if the new EU law on tax evasion is still tucked in at the back I would doubt it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 09:31

May didn't want to p!ss of the DUP as she needed their votes which is why she didn't consider the border in the Irish Sea option. The EU had proposed it previously which is why they were amenable to it now.

BoJo is obviously confident the latest polling majority is going to return a majority for the party at the next election and is happy to consider it as an option. Outside of the backstop it's about the only option the EU would go for as it minimises the risk to their border but it's going to hack off a lot of Unionists in NI.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 13:05

Press call today in another hospital, pity it wasn't like the visit in Spain where the premier had to bail out quickly!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 18:40

Says it all really

Before the referendum, the current prime minister, Boris Johnson, seemed unsure which side he favoured. As mayor of London, he had privately dismissed the idea of quitting Europe, recognising the damage it would do to the city’s exports of financial services. In the run-up to the referendum, he drafted an unpublished newspaper column warning that Brexit would cause an economic shock, embolden enemies such as Vladimir Putin and perhaps even trigger the breakup of the United Kingdom. But, caring passionately and exclusively about his prime ministerial prospects, Johnson came out swinging in favour of Brexit.
Johnson was fired from his first job as a journalist for fabricating a quotation. He was fired from a later job for lying about adultery. During the referendum campaign, his campaign bus was plastered with a big fat lie about taxpayer savings from leaving the European Union. Now, having secured the prime ministership by winning a paltry 92,000 votes from members of his Conservative Party — a total representing about 0.2 % of the British electorate — Johnson has descended to new depths of cynicism
Contrary to Johnson’s referendum promises, but consistent with his unpublished fears, the Brexit process is threatening peace in Ireland. The British economy shrank in the most recent quarter. But rather than soften his pro-Brexit position, Johnson is doubling down, promising to get Britain out of the E.U. by the end of October by dispensing with the need for a withdrawal agreement. The prime minister presents this folly as a way to get the Brexit process over with, much as a dentist might end your agony by yanking out your molar. But Johnson’s latest promise is just another cynical lie.

If Britain left the E.U. without a deal, it would immediately need to negotiate with Europe about customs arrangements, food safety rules, the treatment of expatriates and so forth. Europe is not a rotten tooth that can be extracted and forgotten.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 19:34

Bpp

You forgot to mention that German industry is officially in a recession.
I know it’s not well publicised but thought you should know.

There is also a big world outside Brexit which has significant uncertainty in part because of the trade war between China and the USA.

As far as NI is concerned, I would refer you to the previous comments by Lord Trimble a Unionist and former NI leader plus a Nobel Peace Prize winner and signatory to the GFA who considers Boris’ agreement to be more favourable despite the DUP objections. Who do you believe?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 19:36

You parbucks :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 19:38

Now I know you’re full of bs. Ha. Ha.🤪
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 19:47

Michael Gove. the resident Wesminster drunk said Quote :- “The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 19:50

I’m guessing that was said before the botched negotiations by Remainer May and co. three years ago.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 21:22

Putting Lord before his name and adding a Nobel Peace Prize after it does not change the fact David Trimble was of the same poor quality of most Unionist politicians. His jaunty Orange jig inside the grounds of Drumcree Church, arm in arm with a grinning Ian Paisley, is hard to shift from the memory. Trimble speaks confidently when he senses there is a mob behind him and at the moment that mob happens to be the House of Lords. Put him in the Rex Bar in the Shankill Road and he would be singing from a different hymn sheet.

One contradiction that must be coming apparent to the wider UK public is that if we are so weak at negotiating what was forecast to be a simple break from the EU, why are we suddenly going to become so adept at conducting trade deals with the rest of the world? It’s the same clowns in charge.
There will be little incentive from the EU to offer us anything particularly favourable, unless it coincides with their own interests. The rest of the world will know that far from holding all the cards, we have effectively chucked in our hand and need to by some new ones quick.

'Remainer May' will soon be joined in the brexit dustbin by 'Remainer Johnson' when Farage warms up for a full broadside against the failure to leave the EU as promised.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 21:45

There is no contradiction.

Unfortunately for the 17.4 million who voted to leave it was left to Mrs May as PM and her Remainer cohorts to negotiate the worst deal possible.
She started from the wrong position.
It should have been we are out and you have two years to persuade us to do a deal. Instead she went the opposite way and hey presto here we are.

Boris has been trying to rescue what he can for her deal over three years since the vote. The country wants a solution after all this time except of course the Remainer MP’s who despite the mandate they stood on at the last election are frustrating an agreement.

Post Edited (Fri 25 Oct 21:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 22:38

You surely realise that the 'crash-out' threat is a pretty empty one for the EU, so it would take a misguided person to even make it. Although I recall May talking about a Union Jack Brexit back before reality intruded.

It would be most damaging to the UK in the short term, and also in the long term. Every country has to raise money on international markets and establish trusted lines of credit: you won't find that easy if you walked out on your last deal without settling accounts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 22:55

There was a guy from UKIP on TV and he did an interview saying that BoJos new deal was the worst thing going and if it was down another referendum and the choice was his deal or remain then he would vote remain. The interviewer was that taken aback he asked him the question again.

I dont know why you seem to think we have power over the EU. All forms of Brexit are lose/lose for both sides with no deal worse for us than the EU. Telling them we were leaving with no deal would have resulted in is leaving with no deal and losing access to the worlds largest market.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 23:01

We have no power now.
It was surrendered after we triggered Article 50 and capitulated at the very start of negotiations to do the Withdrawal Agreement sequentially and separate from a trade deal. That’s where we were trapped by the GFA. And its consequences.

It should have been a hard Brexit from Day 1 and let the EU come to us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 23:06

Quote:

parbucks, Fri 25 Oct 23:01

We have no power now.
It was surrendered after we triggered Article 50 and capitulated at the very start of negotiations to do the Withdrawal Agreement sequentially and separate from a trade deal. That’s where we were trapped by the GFA. And its consequences.

It should have been a hard Brexit from Day 1 and let the EU come to us.

Why would the EU have come to us?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 23:25

Firstly a no deal would hurt them as much as us.

We would use the two years to prepare and set up other deals.

In the meantime the Eurozone is still a basket case.
High unemployment in Southern Europe. No solution to the immigrant crisis.
The recent EU elections show increasing opposition to Brussels from the right and those disillusioned by the “Project”
Germany is now in a manufacturing recession which has been predicted for a while.
The USA trade war with China is impacting the EU more than the U.K.

All these events were in process or forecasted at that time. Given the positive trade balance of around £70 bn they could ill afford to do nothing. We allowed the Irish to weaponise the border issue through complacency. Ireland had most to lose.

I could go on but given what has happened it would have taken someone with balls rather than May to take the lead instead of surrender at every turn in the process. Boris has made the best of the lousy hand he was given.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 23:40

So the great idea is destroy us all and laugh at the USA and China running everything.Genius.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 00:27

"Firstly a no deal would hurt them as much as us."

That's not true. Its hurts us both but it hurts the UK more. That's why no deal was never ever a credible threat. In terms of manufacturing although you are correct to state there is a surplus from them to us when you look at it in terms of % of GDP, we export more to them than they do to us. They are better equipped to deal with it than us as a block. When you look at services we have a the surplus with them so we need to retain market access for those services.

"We would use the two years to prepare and set up other deals."

This would have been illegal had the EU not agreed to allow us to negotiate the deals as part of the withdrawal negotiations.

The Eurozone has problems but it's not a basket case. I dont know what your basing that statement on. If there was inflation ala Zimbabwe back in the day then maybe.. The Euro is nearly at parity with the £ although that gap should widen when we get a deal. If the Eurozone was a basket case the markets would be the first ones to tell us.

I'm not really sure what the relevance of high levels of unemployment are in southern europe? Fair enough some countries having problems but not much of that has the EU as its root cause.

Poland, Hungary, Estonia (particularly) and Latvia (not as much as their neighbours), Croatia and Slovenia have all benefited economically directly from being a member of the EU.

Germany in an industrial recession? Well so are we:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/25/has-the-uk-escaped-a-recession-experts-debate-the-data

Impact of the trade war hurts us too:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-imf-worldbank-trade/fallout-from-trumps-trade-wars-felt-by-economies-around-the-world-idUSKBN1WY0PZ
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 01:17

The lousy hand was given to May by Cameron. Johnson has simply had it passed on. He and his Emperor’s Clothes deal will soon be rubbished by the very media that at present are hailing his unique style.

We are now entering the stage of recrimination where the blame for Brexit not happening is directed less at external bogeymen like Junker and Corbyn, but at traitors within, fifth columnists who have been sabotaging the whole project. May, Grieve and Letwin are already lined up for some kind of show trial and Johnson might soon follow them into Brexiteers’ dock. Instead of pursuing a bold blitzkrieg policy which would have brought the EU to its knees, they engaged in a phoney war that gave succour to the enemy.

I can see Francois as a Vichinsky/Freisler type prosecutor with Farage at his elbow to keep the indictments coming.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 11:52

Why is that May is blamed for a crap Brexit deal? Has a single politician proposed a better solution? Johnson's deal is even worse!

Maybe Parsbucks can come up with a better solution?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 15:25

I’d certainly be interested if Parbucks could offer a couple of specific details showing why Johnson’s deal is better than May’s. As a negotiator Johnson, seems more in the Chamberlain rather than Churchill category.

Munich 1938:
Chamberlain: We want you to take your troops out of the Sudetenland.
Hitler: No. I will not abandon the German peoples living in that area.
Chamberlain: If that’s your attitude then you might as well take all of
Czechoslovakia.
Hitler: Thanks. I will.

Brussels 2019:
Johnson: We want you to forget about the Irish Republic and just let us do our
own thing in the British Isles.
Barnier: No. I will not abandon our EU members in the far west of the EU.
Johnson: If that’s your attitude then you might as well take all of Ireland
under the EU.
Barnier: Thanks. I will.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 17:21

This on the bbc news page :-

Labour has said leaked government papers "confirm its worst fears" about plans to dilute workers' rights after Brexit.
The documents, revealed by the Financial Times, say that the drafting of commitments on workers' rights and the environment in the Brexit deal "leaves room for interpretation".
Labour said it is a "blueprint" for ending "vital rights and protections".
But Business Minister Kwesi Kwarteng said the claims are "way exaggerated".
The leaked paper suggests that the government believes there is considerable scope to diverge from the EU on employment rights and other regulations after Brexit, despite its pledge to maintain a "level playing field" in Boris Johnson's latest deal.
In Mr Johnson's Brexit deal, references to a level playing field - the idea that the UK and EU countries keep their rules and standards close to prevent one trying to gain a competitive advantage - were removed from the legally binding withdrawal agreement.

Kwesi Kwarteng is one of the co-authors of Britannia Unchained btw
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 17:48

The Working Time Directive was always going to take a tanking.

The precautionary principle has already been left out of the Withdrawal Bill so I'm not sure where that leaves Scotland with fracking once we leave.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 17:55

I wonder if all those Little Britain types will still be celebrating when their working rights are taken apart bit by bit.
When the NHS is sold off bit by bit.
When food standards drop bit by bit.
But hey? Rule Britannia.....

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 19:02

I wonder if all those Little Britain types will still be celebrating when their working rights are taken apart bit by bit.
When the NHS is sold off bit by bit.
When food standards drop bit by bit.
But hey? Rule Britannia.....

Folk have been doing that quite happily since at least 1979.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 21:42

Which bits of the NHS have been sold off?
Also unlike those on one side of the Irish border, nobody in these Islands ever has to pay a charge for seeing their GP and are never charged when they attend A&E.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 22:13

Quote:

Mario, Sat 26 Oct 21:42

Which bits of the NHS have been sold off?
Also unlike those on one side of the Irish border, nobody in these Islands ever has to pay a charge for seeing their GP and are never charged when they attend A&E.

Nobody said they had been sold off --- yet. The comment was WHEN they are sold off.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 22:26

But couldn't they be sold off already? Like the private health firms that already operate inside other EU states?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 00:29

http://www.patients4nhs.org.uk/how-is-the-nhs-being-privatised/

That's a very good overview as to where it's all going wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 06:13

That's an excellent link, lpf.

The NHS as was, was far from perfect, but privatisation in the way that article describes, is no solution.

Take the case of a good friend of mine - he has MS and is confined to a wheelchair. He doesn't want to go to a home. Fife Council have organised health care for him through a private firm. He rarely sees the same carers on consecutive days, some days they're late or even fail to show up in the morning, so he has to stay in bed, with all that entails. He has to go to bed at whatever time they call in the evening and he's only allowed one shower per week.....

He says things were much better when Fife's in-house care team looked after him. Is the Council saving money as a result? I doubt it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 07:41

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sat 26 Oct 17:48

The precautionary principle has already been left out of the Withdrawal Bill so I'm not sure where that leaves Scotland with fracking once we leave.

Independent hopefully
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 08:08

“When the NHS is sold off bit by bit”

“Folk have been doing that quite happily since at least 1979”

“ Nobody said they had been sold off yet”

Someone’s time machine needs a service...we await Wotsit’s clarification with bated breath, hopefully he’s remembered to turn the clock back.

Post Edited (Sun 27 Oct 08:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 09:59

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 27 Oct 06:13

That's an excellent link, lpf.

The NHS as was, was far from perfect, but privatisation in the way that article describes, is no solution.

Take the case of a good friend of mine - he has MS and is confined to a wheelchair. He doesn't want to go to a home. Fife Council have organised health care for him through a private firm. He rarely sees the same carers on consecutive days, some days they're late or even fail to show up in the morning, so he has to stay in bed, with all that entails. He has to go to bed at whatever time they call in the evening and he's only allowed one shower per week.....

He says things were much better when Fife's in-house care team looked after him. Is the Council saving money as a result? I doubt it.

That's terrible and really sad to hear that. It's also really frustrating that the social security support network we all contribute to as we want people like your friend to have the support they need has funds diverted from it to enrich some fairly wealthy people.
[IP address logged]

Good link lpf
[IP address logged]

Quote:

Tenruh, Sun 27 Oct 07:41

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sat 26 Oct 17:48

Independent hopefully

With a little bit of luck!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 11:22

Quote:

Mario, Sun 27 Oct 08:08

“When the NHS is sold off bit by bit”

“Folk have been doing that quite happily since at least 1979”

“ Nobody said they had been sold off yet”

Someone’s time machine needs a service...we await Wotsit’s clarification with bated breath, hopefully he’s remembered to turn the clock back.

You'll be waiting a while - only the second quote is me.

Post Edited (Sun 27 Oct 11:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 11:23

Fracking is banned up here isn’t it...?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 11:49

We seem to have forgotten Branson suing the NHS for not taking the bit he bought back....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 13:52

It's also good to see how privatising all those "non-clinical" services has had no negative clinical impact such as disproportionate rises in hospital acquired infections.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 14:02

Yes if Brexit results in the NHS being privitised then I'd hate to be someone who stood shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Johnson and Farage to vote for such a thing. I wouldnt call them scum for doing so though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 14:14

Quote:

Mario, Sun 27 Oct 11:23

Fracking is banned up here isn’t it...?

No. Its referred to as a ban and even the SG have referred to it as a ban but there is no prohibition in law in Scotland against fracking.

What the SG have done is actually quite clever (believe it or not). They knew if they put a legal prohibition in place it would face legal challenges like the one Ineos brought against them so rather than ban fracking by law they have developed a policy not to grant licences to frack through the planning system.

It has the same end result as a ban but not the same legal standing as a ban as its policy vs legislation.

Where my concern arises vis a vis the Precautionary Principle is that the SG have used it as part of the rationale behind the policy decision not to grant fracking licences through the planning system:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/talking-fracking-consultation-unconventional-oil-gas-analysis-responses/pages/16/

If the Precautionary Principle is no longer legally recognised in the UK after Brexit, I'm not sure what the impact on the SGs position would be. Hopefully I'm worried about nothing and the policy can continue but in the past the SG had said the onus was on the fracking companies to be able to prove in absolute terms that there was no risk from fracking and had cited the PP.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 14:29

Read this last week lpf and it does not seem to be the revolutionary cheap gas alternative that was promised

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50142031
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 14:55

Thanks BP I hadn't seen that report.

I was aware that there had been an increase in tremors though and it appeared to be a significant increase compared to the past without any drilling.

As any responsible company would do, the frackers asked for the legal limit to be lifted so they could cause larger tremors without shutting down their operation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cuadrilla-fracking-earthquakes-raise-limit-seismic-activity-uk-preston-ineos-a8766266.html
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 15:06

I acquired a hospital acquired infection in Ninewells. It certainly wasn’t acquired from the newspaper trolley, the only private service I was in contact with.

However, these things happen. All part of the various risks, some much worse, you are made aware off when signing off the surgery consent form.

I must say I struggling with the concept of non clinical hospital acquired infection Just what are all these privatised “non clinical” services anyway?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 15:49

lpf
Please let us cause bigger earthquakes to get more gas :-)

We actually experienced an earthquake or tremor 1979 when we lived down in Gretna and the epicentre was around long town 4.7 on the richter scale
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 15:51

Did it take you long to straighten up the picture hanging on the wall?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 16:07

Quote:-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks
Date: Sun 27 Oct 15:51

Did it take you long to straighten up the picture hanging on the wall?

That made me smile towk ....The noise and the house floor trembling woke us up around 2/3 in the morning .....house lights on all over ......no damage done and aye pushed the wife oot the bed to straighten the picture ..... jist in case :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 16:25

[I]I acquired a hospital acquired infection in Ninewells[/I]

And?

I certainly didn't argue the concept was introduced by privatisation - that would be an insane thing to assert.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 16:41

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 16:47

I must say I struggling with the concept of non clinical hospital acquired infection Just what are all these privatised “non clinical” services

Cleaning

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 17:12

And more specifically:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2016-12-21-nhs-hospitals-outsource-cleaning-%E2%80%98linked-higher-rates-mrsa%E2%80%99
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 17:20

Mario's an old fashioned fellow so it's not surprising that he "struggles with the concept" of cleaning.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 21:11

The cleaners were, like all the staff, hardworking, did their best, you smart assed wee flower.
No idea if they were directly employed or not, either way they would be wouldn’t be getting paid much. You wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole I suppose.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 21:12

For flower read *****
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 21:24

Thanks for links to cleaning outsourcing in NHS England. Sod all relevance to our fully devolved health service, though maybe they have some expertise in pigeon droppings that could be utilised in our super duper Death Star.

Post Edited (Sun 27 Oct 22:35)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Oct 22:24

You must stop talking to yourself.It isn't a good sign really.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 01:19

Quote:

Mario, Sun 27 Oct 21:24

Thanks for links to cleaning outsourcing in NHS England. Sod all relevance to our fully devolved health service.

Why so parochial? It's a thread about uk poltics. No need to make every single thread about your obsession with an independant Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 05:00

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 11:33

Public services in England, dearie me....the whole system of management they have down there abjectly corrupt. Public money disappearing into Trusts to pay executives ridiculous salaries while the teachers, nurses etc get hee haw in comparison. Outwood Grange Academies Trust is a prime example: the CEO of this trust is on £184k per year and the trust is now being investigate for bullying kids - I did part of my teacher training in one of their schools and saw this first hand in a school in Middlesbrough. A lot of these executives and founders of trusts are donors to the Tory Party, although there are some that have been involved with Labour too. I reckon if the "Average Joe" in Scotland was aware of the sort of things going on in England's public they'd count themselves lucky that we have Holyrood, which is by no means perfect but shields us from a helluva lot. I would criticise the SNP to the hilt for the Glasgow-centric services that they have created but they have never done anything anywhere near to the extent of what Gove, Blair etc have done in England. It really is quite obvious that a lot of this has been done to make money move into certain pockets and also to give the impression that public services in England are failing which will strengthen the argument for privatisation. What really got me though was the absolute apathy on the part of the English people toward what is going on - absolutely no gumption to change things. The time I spent in NE England really cemented my view that Scotland is a different society and I doubt I'll ever be convinced otherwise.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 12:40

It looks like BJ won't be delivering his promise of leaving the EU by 31 October. It won't be his fault of course although he'd be taking all the credit if it had happened.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 19:48

The prime minister will publish a short piece of legislation seeking the support of the Lib Dems and SNP for an election on that date.

The very same party's he has ignored and sneered at and now seeks their help to push his great new bill through parliament ...What a pathetic rich, right wing neo faschist, Incredible Bulk of a waste of oxygen
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 20:46

But what does Mark Francois think? That's what the people want to know.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 22:24

They want the date before University break-up as better for them.Boris wants it after as those are votes he'll never get so increase his chances.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 15:07

What they're saying is they can't bring it forward by 3 days. I hope those who CAN vote remember this and DO vote these Tory idiots out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 16:35

They cant bring it forward. EU nationals and 16 year olds cannot vote.

Now it appears that it is Boris that's the coward.

Let's get this election done.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 17:56

Why must General Elections in this country be held on a Thursday? In some countries they're held on a Sunday, not for religious reasons but because most voters don't work on Sundays and have more time to get out to vote.

Far too logical for our politicians to understand, perhaps?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 18:31

Our country's politics is ruled by ritual and tradition but on this occasion I suspect it's because it's cheaper.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 08:36

Who needs enemies with friends like Donald Trump?😊😊😊
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 19:17

Boris Johnson is facing renewed calls to release a report assessing the threat posed by Russia to the UK's democratic processes.

Former attorney general Dominic Grieve said its release was vital ahead of the general election because it contained information relevant to voters.
Mr Grieve, chairman of Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee, has accused the PM of sitting on the report ahead of the 12 December poll.
The report was finalised in March 2019.

Compiled by the Parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee, it includes evidence from UK intelligence services concerning Russian attempts to influence the outcome of the 2016 EU referendum and 2017 general election.

Now then Dominic Cummings speaks Russian he lived in Russia for 4 years surely there cannot be any connection there :-(

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

Post Edited (Sat 02 Nov 19:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 19:48

Dominic Cummings is just one of many reasons why Scotland better break away from the U.K. soon .

If we don’t then it is goodbye Scotland and hello....Scotlandshire...That is not the ambition I have for my country , to become a shire of England.

It is an inevitability if the British Nationalists get their way.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 20:33

Police investigating alleged breaches of election law by the Vote Leave campaign have passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Scotland Yard said it had sought advice on its investigation into the official Brexit campaign, which followed an Electoral Commission probe last year.
The commission found Vote Leave exceeded a £7 million spending limit.
Vote Leave has previously said the commission's findings were "wholly inaccurate" and politically motivated.

The Vote Leave campaign, which was fronted by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, won the contest to be the official Leave campaign in the 2016 referendum on whether Britain should stay in the European Union.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 19:08

A report on alleged Russian interference in UK democracy will not be published until after the election.

It has gone through the standard security clearance process, but sources say No 10 is stalling on releasing it.

Ex-terrorism watchdog Lord Anderson said any further delay would "invite suspicion" of the government's motives in the run-up to next month's election.

Ministers said the report would be published "in due course" in line with procedures for "sensitive" information.

What are they trying to hide now ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 22:58

Lot of Russian stuff seems to be coming up.Mind you we have a translator if needed for Boris as his great pal Dom spent 3 years in Russia.

Suspicious not.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 09:04

Influence the Brexit campaign and sizeable donations to the Tory's

Surely not Dominic

Boris Johnson’s government is under intense pressure over a parliamentary special report on alleged illicit Russian activities in Britain with eminent former security and cabinet officials demanding that it stops blocking publication of the document.

The high-level intervention comes as the security and intelligence agencies confirmed that all measures necessary to protect sensitive information have already been taken and they have no objection to the report being made public.

The inquiry by the Commons Intelligence and Security Committee is believed to have looked at claims of Moscow’s attempts to influence the Brexit campaign and Russian money going into UK institutions including sizeable donations made to the Conservative Party.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 09:30

Clown Boris at it again

Boris says

"Major flooding across swathes of Northern England is not a national emergency"

And Today

The prime minister is to chair a meeting of the government's emergency committee later in response to floods in northern England.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 20:50

And it continues :-

Is this really the outcome of a Cobra emergency meeting ?
Note the wording £500 for Eligible households ??
Up to £2,500 for small and medium sized businesses ?
And 100 extra Army personnel ? 100?? ..... ffs they need 10,000
What a total embarrassment and slap in the face for the poor souls who've suffered and lost everything

The prime minister has announced more support for communities in parts of Northern England affected by flooding.
Boris Johnson made the commitment following a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee earlier.
He had faced criticism from Labour and the Liberal Democrats who said he should declare a "national emergency".
Mr Johnson said it had been "an absolute tragedy for those who have seen such damage to their homes and livestock".
He said authorities were working "flat out" and a request had been made for "a little bit more help" from the military in getting sandbags and other defences to some of the areas affected.
Among the measures announced by Mr Johnson were:
An extra 100 Army personnel deployed from Wednesday to support the recovery effort in South Yorkshire
Funding for local councils where households and businesses have been affected - equivalent to £500 per eligible household
Up to £2,500 for small and medium-sized businesses which have suffered severe impacts not covered by insurance

Post Edited (Tue 12 Nov 20:54)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 01:20

My advice to locals being aided by 'our boys': Be careful.

Johnson is keen to give British Army unlimited immunity from prosecution in response to legal cases pending over civilian deaths in Northern Ireland, mostly from the early 1970s when the army was dealing with what it has since described as 'an insurrection.' This is part of Johnson's electoral pitch to win some squaddie votes and no doubt an effort to ensure the army is behind him if civil disruption emerges in the months to come.

I would not welcome some lads I have known who joined the army coming down my street. I would welcome them less if they were carrying a gun. And if I knew they could shoot me with impunity then I would not be in the street, but otherwise engaged.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 11:47

Interesting that no Fire Service, South of the border has been legislated nor financed to carry out flooding emergency call outs.
I don't know how that lies with regards to insurance liabilities.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 13:57

THE SITUATION

You are in England, Doncaster to be specific.
There is chaos all around you caused by severe flooding.
This is a flood of biblical proportions.
You are a photo-journalist working for a major newspaper, and you're caught in the middle of this epic disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless.
You're trying to shoot career-making photos.
There are houses and people swirling around you, some disappearing into the water.
Nature is unleashing all its destructive fury.

THE TEST

Suddenly, you see a man in the water.
He is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken down with the debris.
You move closer... Somehow, the man looks familiar...

You suddenly realise who it is... It's Boris Johnstone
You notice that the raging waters are about to take him under forever.

You have two options:

You can save the life of Boris Johnstone or you can shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize-winning photo, documenting the death of the country's Prime Minister

THE QUESTION

Here's the question, and please give an honest answer...

Would you select high contrast colour, or would you go with the classic simplicity of black and white ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 19:26

What about if you are a baker in Glastonbury? You're out of luck for that Pulitzer because our strident and courageous PM didn't keep his promise to float by today.

Also, where's Jacob? Has anybody seen him since that time he disparaged the less fortunate for not having the common sense to not burn to death?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 19:28

Aye the man is a misanthrope Wotsit
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 00:56

Busspasspar,

Your "Doncaster dilemma" had me in stitches today when I read it.

Thanks fella.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 01:13

Jacob's been told to shut his puss and stay in Devon.
Just asking, is he Jewish?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 01:36

No, he is Catholic as far as I am aware.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 02:09

Ah OK just wondered when I saw his first name.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Nov 10:32

Should make for some good viewing this evening!🤣🤣🤣

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-17/jennifer-arcuri-boris-johnson-cast-me-aside-as-if-i-were-a-gremlin/

Post Edited (Sun 17 Nov 10:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Nov 11:32

Hell hath no fury......as they say :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Nov 19:08

He is still lying or does he not listen or understand Dominics election manifesto

Boris Johnson aims to change National Insurance rules so workers will not have to pay it until they earn £12,500.
The Tory leader earlier said his party would put up the threshold to ensure "low tax for working people" if it wins the general election.

But he later confirmed to the BBC it would be raised to £9,500 in the first budget of a Tory government, with no timetable for the additional £3,000.... Oops-a-daisy

Labour said the reduced revenue would harm public services.

The current threshold sees workers paying National Insurance contributions once they earn £8,628 a year.
Mr Johnson had promised to raise the threshold to £12,500 during the Tory leadership contest.
He told the BBC this was now an "ambition" of his government and a timeframe would be announcement at their first budget if they are elected.

But the PM said bringing in the £9,500 threshold sooner would "help with the cost of living" and "put £500 in the pocket of everybody" - although a later press release claimed the saving would be around £100 per person... Bigger Oops-a-daisy

Both figures are still higher than the estimate of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, who said the threshold would save workers about £85 per year ......Bingo

He canny lie straight in bed

Post Edited (Wed 20 Nov 19:11)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Nov 17:48

Boris's Dad putting himself about a bit to help his buffoon of a son

Boris declined the climate change debate ... so sent his Dad instead

He also waded in yesterday defending Boris after a single Mum called Boris Pinocchio

Boris Johnson’s father, Stanley, has been criticised for appearing to suggest the British public is illiterate.

In an appearance on the BBC’s Victoria Derbyshire show, the 79-year-old was told that one viewer had called his son “Pinocchio”. Johnson replied: “Pinocchio? That requires a degree of literacy which I think the Great British public doesn’t necessarily have.”

The show’s presenter, Joanna Gosling, standing in for Derbyshire, asked what he meant by that, to which Johnson replied that he didn’t want to go into it.

“That’s quite a pejorative thing to say about the Great British public,” Gosling suggested.

Johnson said: “They couldn’t spell Pinocchio if they tried, I shouldn’t have thought.” He then challenged Gosling to spell it.

Like father like Boris
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Nov 19:05

He probably thinks if everyone sent their kids to Eton there wouldn't be a literacy problem.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 Nov 22:52

We should totally do that one day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 09:28

Five answers five lies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50624056
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 13:36

http://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnsons-tweets-about-london-bridge-copied-and-pasted-from-blog-11876300

Oh dear he couldn't even write the tweet himself

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 14:53

He really is a liability
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 17:31

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 2 Dec 14:53

He really is a liability

Being a liability didn't stop Donald Trump making it into the White House.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 19:16

The evil miss next word would never miss a chance to portray himself as a hero of the people.Possibly speaking to the relatives before using it as election material might have been nicer.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18074991.jack-merritt-livid-agenda-hate-attack/

PS dug his bloody ditch and he never turned up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 20:12

Continuing to hide

Today Boris Johnson turned up at a deserted cruise liner terminal at Southampton docks to plug his party’s policies for border control after Brexit.

He chugged around the quiet port in a boat and did a quick television interview on his response to Friday’s terror attack before heading off to a rally for Tory activists this evening.

The PM was in and out before the city’s voters twigged he was there. It’s the same wherever Mr Johnson goes.

The Conservative campaign feels efficient, focused and sterile. Clips for broadcasters are provided, Tory social media content is recorded and pictures of the prime minister in different bits of Britain are taken that will appear online and in tomorrow’s newspapers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 20:42

There are two issues which I think should be hammered home by those standing against government candidates in the upcoming election.

1. Is Boris Johnson prepared to sell out the NHS to the country of his birth, for which he retains citizenship?

2. Why should any UK citizen vote for a man who wished, illegally, to close down the parliament he is now seeking to govern?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 22:10

1. Boris gave up his US citizenship.
2. His legal advice said it was legal
3. Mrs Dale’s diary is better than yours.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 22:14

Boris is absolute proof the syphilitic money has won...doesn't even need to be within a continent of the truth.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Dec 22:40

Quote :-
Topic Originator: Mario
Date: Mon 2 Dec 22:10

1. Boris gave up his US citizenship.

Boris Johnson has renounced his US citizenship, ending years of ambiguous loyalties and probably ridding himself of a hefty tax bill.

Andrew Mitchel, an international tax lawyer, tallies the names on the lists, and identified Alexander Boris Johnson renouncing his citizenship. The foreign secretary’s full name is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

It was revealed in 2014 that Johnson might owe more than $50,000 in US tax on the income from the sale of his home.

Post Edited (Mon 02 Dec 22:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Dec 06:54

“I’m rather worried about Jim”

Lucky you weren’t married to a de Pfeffel dearie...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Dec 11:01

If Johnson fails to win his majority he will be off to the country of his birth until the heat dies down. The USA has a restriction on persons born outwith the country standing for President, something that concerned Donald Trump a great deal when Barak Obama was in that post. In the UK we are more relaxed about such matters although the Conservative Party spends much energy on tightening up regulations relating to foreigners. Renouncing citizenship is meaningless in Johnson’s case since, like Tony Blair, he would be granted US citizenship within 24 hours.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. A PM should take better advice rather than listen to the advice he wants to hear. What he did was illegal. He tried to shut down parliament and should really have been disbarred from standing for election as a consequence. Rather like a person falsely claiming benefits pays the price for their actions, no matter who gave them the advice.

I think you’re getting a bit twitchy, Mario, as polling day approaches. Some menial workers around on Remembrance Day have claimed that the reason Johnson ballsed up his cameo role with the wreath was that he was drunk. He was reeking of drink according to them. Johnson is under pressure since he is now sensing the possibility of failure so he might need to reactivate that US citizenship.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 15:20

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg asks Mr Johnson how he can be pledging to cut taxes in the first budget after the election when his manifesto says that overall taxes would go up.

He says business rates and national insurance will go down and says he is "not aware of the data you describe".

8/10
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 18:35

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. A PM should take better advice rather than listen to the advice he wants to hear.

Indeed.

None of the rest of us are allowed to get off for our illegal acts on unreliable legal advice. It would create carnage in the courts.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Dec 17:21

He's lying again it really is becoming compulsive

Then, you'd need to accept Boris Johnson's word that, at the Nato summit in Hertfordshire on Friday, he had somehow never heard a word of his fellow national leaders huddling together in Buckingham Palace the previous evening, mocking US President Donald Trump.

He was captured on camera standing with them at the time, and joining in the joke.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 16:53

Who in their right mind would want this Tw*t to be PM ??

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1204018593656180736
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 17:27

The man has no shame. He made political capital out of the stabbings on Westminster Bridge and now he's twisting the plight of this wee boy round to make political capital out of it.

I don't think the Labour Party has done enough to expose the Tories' record on public services. The Tories are campaigning like a party in Opposition, lamenting the state of these services under the incumbent government, when it is they who are responsible for the state they are in!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 17:41

They've somehow managed to have the LibDems take all the flack for austerity.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 19:29

Spot on wee eck ....also Johnston has had his 7th photo shoot costume on.... no crowds ......no hassle ...no opposition to embarrass him... no huge tory support either btw as no bugger knows where he is ....just a man going round pretending to be important and saying Get Brexit Done ..... A Lying uncaring supercilious Buffoon
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 20:27

King Liar .... the Laddie canny help himsel

"So who cares about those who now openly doubt his ability to get a trade deal done with the EU by December next year? The doubters were wrong before. They'll be proved wrong again."

Except, it seems to be overlooked that Prime Minister Johnson did not charm or bully or manipulate the EU into reopening the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement and changing the infamous backstop for the Irish border.

It was only by breaking a deep red line of his, very late on in the negotiations, that EU leaders wholeheartedly agreed to a "new" Brexit deal (that in reality was almost identical to the one negotiated by Theresa May).

If you remember, Mr Johnson had pledged never to allow a post-Brexit division between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
But in the end that is exactly what he did.

Get Brexit Done with this great fantastic new deal ...aye right Pinocchio
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 21:17

Your spelling of Pinocchio does you credit BPP.

I'm still unconvinced Johnson will win an overall majority although I take on board wee eck's remarks about the Labour campaign. I would go a little further and say that Labour has lacked a figure who can chime in with northern England the way that John Prescott used to do for Blair. Corbyn is fine for London and those who have had university or college education; what is lacking is an old-fashioned trade unionist who came off the factory floor and looks like he might want to punch the nearest banker in the mouth.

Johnson is quite weak under questioning and his campaign much less overwhelming than the Tory Party faithful who voted for him six months back expected it to be. This reluctance to be questioned in parliament and now on the stump does not bode well for any future deals with the EU. Maybe the man lacks confidence deep down? Or maybe he wants to be liked, a fatal flaw in any leader whether political or at a football club.

Corbyn is dull but worthy, same as he has been all his political life. He enjoys campaigning and it suits him better than parliament probably. He is a fighter for good causes rather than a leader I'm afraid.

Swinson is a snarky Guidance Teacher learning how to do her job and her campaign has been pretty disastrous as no one is really listening to her. Her flagship policy has been sunk: she cannot, and could not, stop Brexit by decree: a political novice could have told her that much and presumably did but she did not pay attention because she knew better.

Voting for Sturgeon is a sensible policy but feels a bit like kissing your sister.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 22:58

How can I vote for sturgeon? Where is she standing?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 09:29

Johnson pocketing that reporter's phone when he tried to show him the photo of the wee boy on the hospital floor is a metaphor for the entire Tory election campaign. Avoid scrutiny at all costs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 14:14

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 10 Dec 09:29

Johnson pocketing that reporter's phone when he tried to show him the photo of the wee boy on the hospital floor is a metaphor for the entire Tory election campaign. Avoid scrutiny at all costs.

Like I said, Tories....scum...every...single...one of them.
Without exception.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 14:36

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 9 Dec 16:53

Who in their right mind would want this Tw*t to be PM ??

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1204018593656180736

You know how I feel about this shifty, odious little man, BPP, but I was castigated on the football forum only yesterday, for using a derogatory term to describe two of our less loveable football clubs and their fans........

What's sauce for the goose........😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 15:24

Thousands of bots posting that the mother put the child on the floor.
We really are entering absurdly 1984 times.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 16:31

Topic Originator: GG Riva
Date: Tue 10 Dec 14:36

Quote:

You know how I feel about this shifty, odious little man, BPP, but I was castigated on the football forum only yesterday, for using a derogatory term to describe two of our less loveable football clubs and their fans........

I think this man deserves it GG :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 17:04

Worth noting where Boris Johnson is right now - at a facility belonging to JCB.

As one of the journalists from the BBC's political research unit points out, JCB and its owner have previously donated money to the Tories.

The company's chairman, Lord Bamford, is also a vocal Brexiteer.

He really is an odious coward of a man
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 18:01

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 10 Dec 16:31

Date: Tue 10 Dec 14:36

Quote:

I think this man deserves it GG :-)

You'll not get an argument from me on that, BPP. I believe those who are intolerant and/or bigoted towards others are equally deserving of any derogatory adjectives which are thrown their way.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 18:23

GG I get really annoyed when I see him strolling about dressing up for the occasion... as he honestly does not have a clue where he is or what he is doing... ..get brexit done is all he can remember ...He is the worst Tory leader campaigner I have ever seen He cannot handle confrontation he cannot handle an interruption to his Mantra get brexit done 50,000 nurses 20,000 polis 24 new schools etc etc ad infinitum.... Take him out his wee comfort zone and he looks for Dominic who by now must be wondering what the fek have I done :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 19:01

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 10 Dec 18:23

GG I get really annoyed when I see him strolling about dressing up for the occasion... as he honestly does not have a clue where he is or what he is doing... ..get brexit done is all he can remember ...He is the worst Tory leader campaigner I have ever seen He cannot handle confrontation he cannot handle an interruption to his Mantra get brexit done 50,000 nurses 20,000 polis 24 new schools etc etc ad infinitum.... Take him out his wee comfort zone and he looks for Dominic who by now must be wondering what the fek have I done :-)

I still can't find a single word I'm in disagreement with you, so how come millions of people will vote for his party and he's odds on to continue as PM?

Was it you who told me off for suggesting that a significant proportion of the electorate is quite gullible? What really annoyed me last night was the lass on QT who said that she didn't believe that voters didn't know what they wete voting for in the Brexit Referendum. Of course, they didn't - they were misinformed about so many aspects of it.

Eta. Telling voters that they're knowledgeable and well informed is a ploy that politicians regularly use to ingratiate themselves with voters - after all, who's going to vote for you if you tell them they're easily taken in?

Post Edited (Tue 10 Dec 19:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 19:17

Date: Tue 10 Dec 19:01

Was it you who told me off for suggesting that a significant proportion of the electorate is quite gullible? What really annoyed me last night was the lass on QT who said that she didn't believe that voters didn't know what they wete voting for in the Brexit Referendum. Of course, they didn't - they were misinformed about so many aspects of it.

No it was not me GG honest Injun Of course they were gullible because they believed what some high profile leading politicians told them I have 372 pages of brexit lies GG It was all a masterplan to get the UK rich out of a marriage that would bring them to account and end their off shore tax havens There is also a huge hidden agenda regarding future trade also Scotlands future When you hear its for the good of the people or the will of the people coming from a Tory mouth then you know it is not
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Dec 08:31

Another uniform change .....out delivering milk in Leeds this morning ffs
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Dec 09:32

It's good he's got some alternative careers lined up in case his political career goes pear-shaped.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Dec 10:04

It has to go pear shaped wee eck nobody with a modicum of sense can possibly vote for Dominics pet buffoon or his vile party
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Dec 10:16

Thank goodness we have a political leader who admits to the failures leading to a flagship hospital living up to its original joke tag as the Death Star, a sick kids facility fiasco, and an International rating of science and maths standards in our schools as the worst ever. Though at least reading had improved..back to where it was ten years ago.
Sheep report for haircuts, the wool is over your eyes.

Post Edited (Wed 11 Dec 10:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Dec 10:24

Watching telly this morning and some still phoning in to say their voting Tory, all sound like OAP's that are Daily Mail readers. 😡

Usual Brexit, Brexit soundbites!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Dec 10:47

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Dec 11:20

This morning he walked into a freezer to avoid an interview with Piers Morgan apparently.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Wed 11 Dec 15:32

Quote:

BigJPar, Wed 11 Dec 10:47

How anyone in their right mind can vote for this clown is beyond me. A compulsive liar to boot.

A work mate of mine from the North East of England who's been a labour voter all his life, intends to vote tory at this election.

His reason ?

A 'protest' vote cos he doesn't like Jeremy Corbyn. . . .sigh.

Post Edited (Wed 11 Dec 15:34)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net