DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Deal or no deal
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 18:35

Do we have any idea as to the percentage of those who would be happy for the UK to leave the EU without a deal, either on the 31st October or at a later date?

The BBC is reporting that a deal by the end of this month is now looking extremely unlikely. We know that just under 52% of those who voted in the Referendum voted Leave, but how many of these would now be prepared to leave without a deal?

Presumably none of those who voted Remain would now want to leave without a deal, but I concede there may be a few exceptions. All in all, you have to think that a signicant majority of those eligible to vote do not want to Leave without a deal, so why are Johnson and his lackeys so determined to go against the democratic will of the people?

The PM is portraying this struggle as the people v parliament, with him on the side of the people but he is wrongly assuming (perhaps deliberately) that everyone who voted Leave is happy to leave without a deal.

So much for democracy......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Deal or no deal
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 20:13

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 20:17

This site tracks the various polls and there has never been a poll where no deal polled higher than remain if they were the two options:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-there-was-a-referendum-tomorrow-with-the-option-of-accepting-the-governments-brexit-agreement-or-leaving-the-eu-without-a-deal-which-would-you-support-2-3/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 22:23

BigJPar has called it

It was all part of a grand master plan Every man and his dog knows Dominic the campaign director of vote leave is running the Country .....Boris only fronts his advice.... albeit rather badly... There are many hidden agendas to leave with no deal ....that is why the mp's who value the Country are trying to stop it ....But Cummings and Boris have gone Rogue and are driving the UK to the abyss There are many millionaires who will become multi and hedge fund managers who will benefit greatly from a no deal... fek the people the Tory's have never ever given a toss about the ordinary people It makes me sick when I hear them say we have to honour the will of the people .......just saying

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

Post Edited (Tue 08 Oct 22:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 22:32

As I said before try your referendum now then see the result. Doesn't suit the suits though as they are going to be loaded after this disaster.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 22:49

Quote:
Topic Originator: donj
Date: Tue 8 Oct 22:32

As I said before try your referendum now then see the result. Doesn't suit the suits though as they are going to be loaded after this disaster.

spot on donj

The people were misled and lied to by a devious right wing fascist cabal who think they are above the law
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 00:32

I can't argue with any of the above.

There is a case to leave the EU but clearly not on grounds of sovereignty since the present PM wants to shut down parliament.

There is a case to leave the EU but not on the grounds of taking orders from unelected bankers in Frankfurt since it will only mean taking orders from unelected bankers in New York.

A 'crash-out' has been opposed by parliament and cannot be enforced short of a new election (supposing that changes the arithmetic) or martial law.
A negotiated deal also seems impossible short of a change of government, although the intractable problem of Ireland will not disappear even then.
So at the moment, Remain looks in the strongest position, especially since it seems the EU is offering an extension, waiting for the froth and nonsense at Westminster to die down until it decides what it wants. Maybe Johnson was a sly Remainer all along.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 12:36

Quote:

sammer, Wed 9 Oct 00:32

I can't argue with any of the above.

There is a case to leave the EU but clearly not on grounds of sovereignty since the present PM wants to shut down parliament.

There is a case to leave the EU but not on the grounds of taking orders from unelected bankers in Frankfurt since it will only mean taking orders from unelected bankers in New York.

A 'crash-out' has been opposed by parliament and cannot be enforced short of a new election (supposing that changes the arithmetic) or martial law.
A negotiated deal also seems impossible short of a change of government, although the intractable problem of Ireland will not disappear even then.
So at the moment, Remain looks in the strongest position, especially since it seems the EU is offering an extension, waiting for the froth and nonsense at Westminster to die down until it decides what it wants. Maybe Johnson was a sly Remainer all along.

He'll take his backers money and run.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 21:53

<<A 'crash-out' has been opposed by parliament and cannot be enforced short of a new election (supposing that changes the arithmetic) or martial law.>>

Opposed, but not stopped - it is still the default legal position.

Yes, Johnson has to ask for an extension - not guaranteed that the EU will grant one.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 21:58

Yes, Johnson has to ask for an extension - not guaranteed that the EU will grant one.

So they're not as opposed to a No Deal is we were led to believe?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 22:34

<So they're not as opposed to a No Deal is we were led to believe?>

<not guaranteed that the EU will grant one.>

Don't you understand English?

I made no comment about your interpretation of their opposition or otherwise.

The EU are not guaranteed or impelled to give an extension.
For example, it would only take one country to veto.
Quite a few seem to be of the opinion that an extension only prolongs the uncertainty, and that the UK government will still not make up it's mind...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 23:31

Quite a few seem to be of the opinion that an extension only prolongs the uncertainty, and that the UK government will still not make up it's mind...

Depends on the election result.

The EU have said that they would allow an extension for a general election. And that seems fair to me.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 00:47

That's a guarantee is it?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 08:12

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Thu 10 Oct 00:47

That's a guarantee is it?

There are no guarantees in life except death.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 09:27

Dominic still heading for no deal

On Wednesday, Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom said the PM was gearing up to bypass legal obstacles to a no-deal Brexit by sending one letter requesting an extension and, in the same instance, submitting a second memo telling European leaders he does not want one.

Asked on ITV's Peston programme whether the idea of sending two letters to the EU was a possible loophole, Ms Leadsom replied: "Absolutely."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 10:06

I will laugh when they accept his request for an extension and dingy the other one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 10:13

''On Wednesday, Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom said the PM was gearing up to bypass legal obstacles to a no-deal Brexit by sending one letter requesting an extension and, in the same instance, submitting a second memo telling European leaders he does not want one.''

That contradicts the promises made to the Court of Session by Govt lawyers that he would comply with the ''Benn Act'' but justifies Joanna Cherry & co taking the action farther.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 10:21

wee eck

The man canny lie straight in bed

Think it is all about the wording or interpretation of the Ben act
Aye he will comply and send a letter which means he has acted within the law

BUT ....looking like there may be more than one way to circumvent it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 10:54

That's why the Court has granted another hearing on 21 October if required, Bpp.

He's like Trump in that he'll say whatever he thinks a particular audience wants to hear even if it means contradicting himself. Some folk seem to like that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 20:51

Agree wee eck ....but because it was muted that a high court judge would write the letter on Dominics behalf..... he then promised to write it himself thereby realising that his get out clause i.e. a second letter would be null and void if he did not pen the first letter
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 13:38

Brexit negotiations transcript:

UK: I want a unicorn.

EU: You can't have a unicorn, would you like a pony instead?

UK: No! *stamps feet* I want a unicorn.

EU: Look, it's a pony or nothing.

UK: Buuuut I waaaaaannnnt a unicoooorrrrnnnn :'(

Post Edited (Fri 11 Oct 13:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 15:02

I like the two letters solution, but I think they could perhaps take it further, i.e.

1) Write 'Simon says' at the start of the letter asking the EU to refuse the extension, but not in the other letter. Then, if the EU grant an extension, Johnson and Cummings can say "Ah! We didn't say 'Simon says'!"

2) When they hand the letter to the EU they can cross their fingers behind their back. This legally cancels any subsequent agreements.

3) Write the letter in Vietnamese or another non-EU language. The unelected eurocrats won't know what to do, and unless some clever boffin invents an online translation tool they won't have a clue what the letter says and we can leave without a deal!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 15:46

lol ^^^^^^^
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 18:13

Perhaps this article supplies the answers to some of the questions I posed in the OP.......

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-myths-busting-polling-second-referendum-leave-remain-a9149491.html

then again, maybe not. We know how badly the polls predicted the outcome of the 2016 Referendum.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 21:04

Dominic's plan all along was a straightforward yes/no second referendum.

The question will be: "Do you not think we should leave the EU with a deal?"

Then they will add up all the people who say "Yes, I do not think we should leave the EU with a deal" and "No, I do not think we should leave the EU with a deal" and Johnson will have the full support of the public.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 22:26

These guys couldn't give a toss if we left with a deal or not. Leaving the EU is just a vehicle that allows them to unite the idiots and give them a powerbase. That being said I'm aware enough to realise that for some in the snp employ the same tactic.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net