DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Tory Manifesto
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 20:07

Well where do we start
1...The plan to add 50,000 more nurses to the workforce in England by 2023 is the key new health policy in the Conservative manifesto. At present, there are just under 300,000 full-time equivalent posts.
The party hopes to train more nurses by reintroducing maintenance grants of between £5,000 and £8,000 a year for students.
The scrapping of these grants in 2017 was controversial and was followed by a fall in the number of applicants for nursing degrees.
So, the pledge by the Conservatives to bring back the grants is something of a U-turn. However, the policy will not involve a return to the pre-2017 policy of free tuition for nursing students.
The 50,000 figure is reached by including foreign recruitment and policies for better retention of nurses. OOPS -A DAISY and double OOPS-A DAISY

2..In the least surprising promise in this manifesto, Boris Johnson makes a personal guarantee that he will get Brexit "done" in January if he wins a majority.

Where is that fekin ditch

3..By design, the tax and spend numbers are smaller than those of the Liberal Democrats and, especially, Labour.
They have space to do a lot more within the new borrowing rules.
But Chancellor Sajid Javid and Prime Minister Boris Johnson want to keep a tight ship.
There will be a little bit more spending and a bit more tax too. But it amounts to less than 1% of the size of the economy. .....Thank fek for food banks

4....In place since 2010, keeping the popular "triple lock" means that the state pension will be increased by CPI measure of inflation, wage growth or 2.5% each year - whichever is the highest.
Critics say that keeping it in place is unaffordable and that it doesn't help the poorest and oldest pensioners who are on the old state pension.

But tampering with it would have been politically radical - all of the major parties have committed to it in this election.
The Conservatives have learned from past mistakes. Theresa May pledged to scrap the 2.5% guarantee in the 2017 election, and was forced to abandon the pledge to win support from the DUP...... Give us back the money you stole ya Hoors

5....Boris Johnson promised to fix the crisis in adult social care, but the manifesto contains little more than the guiding principle that no-one will have to sell their home to pay for care.
As things stand, few would call these details an ambitious plan, but the Conservative's pledge to urgently build a cross-party consensus on future care will be welcomed.
The system is already at breaking point, and experts warn the extra £1bn a year promised for the next five years won't be enough to prop it up. Not least, because the money will be shared with equally overstretched children's services.
The Tory calculation appears to be that it is best to say as little as possible, rather than risk being tripped up by an issue that cost them dearly at the last election.

Scum always rises to the top

6...Conservative climate policies will attract scrutiny.
In June, they set a world-leading goal of cutting emissions to virtually zero by 2050. And they've created a boom in cheap offshore wind energy.
But interim emissions targets are already slipping away. And emissions from transport and farming remain problematic.
What's more, some scientists are warning that the climate needs even more urgent repair.

ffs most of us will be broon breed by then

7...The UK's homes are so poorly insulated that to meet the country's 2050 climate commitments we need a nationwide programme to upgrade them. According to MPs on the Business Select Committee, it is a national infrastructure priority.
This pledge to spend £2,860 per household on improving the energy efficiency of social housing would affect 2.2m homes.
But there's no mention of what would be done for those who own their own home.
The claim that households could save up to £750 a year on their energy bills sounds optimistic and could only apply to homes with terrible energy efficiency.
The typical saving after such work on housing, experts say, tends to be more like £50.

There ye go mair fekin lies from the Kings and Queens of liars

8...The last Conservative manifesto reiterated the leadership's intention to reduce net migration to less than 100,000.
It became an albatross - a much-criticised target that was never achieved.
Boris Johnson had already jettisoned it in favour of an Australian style points-based system, attracting "the brightest and the best" and a pledge that numbers will come down.
The focus on control means that fewer lower skilled migrants will be allowed into the UK.
But while the Conservatives can argue this will mean less pressure on public services, it is these services which often rely on migrant labour.

Kind of contradicts No 1 slightly

9....In their manifesto, the Conservatives confirm that they will continue the roll out of universal credit, despite the controversy that has dogged the new benefits system.
As has already been announced they are ending the freeze on benefits, which will mean a 1.7% increase in the money people get next April.
They also pledge to reduce the number of reassessments that people with disabilities face for their benefits, with a national strategy for disabled people promised by the end of 2020.
There is a commitment to reduce poverty, including child poverty, through changes to tax and benefits.
But there is little detail on how ongoing complaints about the failings of universal credit will be addressed

The out of touch with actual ordinary folk comes into play once more and it is an ongoing problem that they do not actually realise what is going on beyond Belgravia

10....For most degree students and their universities there is little in this manifesto.
Simply a promise to look carefully at the "thoughtful" suggestions in the review into student finance and university and college funding, led by Philip Augar.
In the short term, this suggests the current freeze of tuition fees in England at their current level of £9,250 will continue. That could eventually have the same effect as the cut proposed by the Augar panel because of inflation. Interest rates on student loans are to be reviewed again.

Plan for the future er no.... charge the future to learn and be taught

11....High speed rail links between guess where ? .... aye fekin England ....Both North and South at the cost of Billions and guess who is paying for it ?

Correct ....aw Jock Tamsons Bairns
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Tory Manifesto
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 20:25

Have they defined what 'done' means in 'get Brexit done'? He makes it sound like it's just signing a piece of paper.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 20:49

wee eck I think done means .... we have been well and truly done .... as in duped, lied to, misled, but do not forget it is for the will of the people and not for Dominics Russian Oligarchs pals ......:-(
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 00:56

Buspasspar,

Thanks for the summary of the Tory manifesto. The contradiction between increasing the number of nurses and keeping out the foreigners is going to be difficult to achieve in practice, although this is just a manifesto so can be quietly forgotten in time.

The Care Home issue is going to rise to the top of the agenda in years to come and I don’t hold out much faith in older people not having to sell their homes. At present there is more capital being held by older voters at the expense of younger ones so selling a home that is no longer needed is almost certainly going to be required if nursing care is being funded by the taxpayer.

The focus on energy saving avoids the bigger problem that was last addressed by Ed Miliband: the fact that energy is over priced in the UK. The Tory proposal suggests that it is feckless council house tenants who need support to save energy and once that is done the problem will disappear.

Students are maybe Johnson’s Achilles heel. There seems to have been little effort to attract the youth vote by the Tories who are pandering to the Farage pensioner brigade. If they fail to win a majority one reason will be first time voters who are unenthusiastic brexiteers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 09:56

Apparently the 50,000 'new' nurses include 18,500 who are already in post but who, the Tories say, would have left but will now be retained. They're rewriting the English language!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 10:26

All the new number of nurses dovetail well with the number of new hospitals that they're building so it seems legit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 10:30

Tories - Okay, money's tight so give me £10, please.
Public - No bother, we know it's hard what with paying off the bankers and that.
Tories 10 years later - Here, have a fiver. Aren't we good to you?
Public - Eh, hang on...
Tory voters - Look at how generous the Conservative party is. They're able to give us all £5 because all those bloody [insert minority group] have been sent home.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 10:32

11 - Don't sweat about it not reaching Scotland. We get the equivalent cost for all these "national" projects. Pray is costs even more money as it means more for Scottish infrastructure projects.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 11:53

Quote :-
Topic Originator: londonparsfan
Date: Mon 25 Nov 10:26

All the new number of nurses dovetail well with the number of new hospitals that they're building so it seems legit.

Aye lpf and they can house the foreign nurses in one of the 200,000 affordable starter homes they promised to build
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 12:57

Tory promises are worthless, we really all should no that by now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 13:13

Exactly Rasta.

There's a low expectation of honestly from politicians but this mob can't even reach that standard.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 14:58

The worst in my lifetime for sure
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 17:54

There is a genuinely staggering use of numbers from Nicky Morgan in here:

https://youtu.be/CpcY6HsGmAM

It's so bad that, quite incredibly, Piers Morgan even manages to find himself on the right side of humanity on this argument.

If that had been Diane Abbott..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 18:29

Torn to shreds lpf

Not only are they counting 18,500 nurses we already have they also say and the wording is very important here

"The party hopes to train more nurses by reintroducing maintenance grants of between £5,000 and £8,000 a year for students."

50,000 my jacksie
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 18:48

It's bonkers. It's almost like she keeps on thinking if she repeats the lie often enough it'll become the truth.

The only problem is it's incredibly basic maths and no amount of spin can change it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 19:16

Spin is exactly what it is and it's working. Doesn't matter if its 50 thousand or not. When the opposition says, 'it's not 50 thousand it's only 25 thousand' and that argument then becomes the topic of the day all the ordinary voter hears is 'Worst case scenario Tories promise tens of thousand more nurses'. None of it is done by accident.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 19:27

So the Tory manifesto and promises are based on lies and do not matter towk ?
200,000 affordable starter homes ..........zilch nada triple 0 double blank fek all
£500 per person............under £85
£750 savings per house ..........£50
I could sit and type these lies and don't matter figures all night towk
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 19:34

Have we honestly reached a point in our political discourse where we are validating deceptive spin necause it's not lies and it works?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 19:55

As a wee addendum when the Tory's promised to build 200,000 affordable starter homes they spent £75 million buying up suitable land to build these houses

Guess what ?........ Aye they built houses that were non affordable for the folk they were meant to be affordable for

You could not make it up .......:-(
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 19:57

Nowhere in my post did I validate it or say that being dishonest doesn't matter. I merely gave a political analysis.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 20:12

But its no working towk, the Tory's are being exposed for their lying misleading dirty tricks agenda ...... Its not spin towk its in their DNA ...... with front of house who would not be out of place in a Laurel and Hardy film ..... being worked from behind by oor Dominic ...... Heaven help us
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 20:16

It very probably is working though Buspass. I'd rather it wasn't but backslapping one another on here about how bad the Tories are isn't an indication of how the voters in the shires are thinking.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 20:23

You gave a neutral overview of something heinous though.

It's like doing a commentary on a shooting without mentioning that the act is actually a pretty horrible thing to do.

I just find it difficult to comment on a political act without at least considering the moral and ethical implications and reflecting that in my response. Your response was more like how I would respond to something morally dubious that one of my clients did, but I have different standards of judgement for the leaders of our country than I do my clients who, with the best will in the world, often aren't keeping especially well and have less time to plan and execute their deceptions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 20:24

Time will tell towk will soon be the 12th ..... oh jings.... I am judging the outcome on the body language of the general public ..... rightly or wrongly..... but my gut feel is they have seen through this entire circus of a party and will vote accordingly to remove them ...... Fancy a bet on the outcome ? a beer and dram to the winner in legends ...... :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 23:46

I was surprised by how bland the Tory manifesto was and if they fail to win a majority expect a post-mortem into why that was the case. The tribulations of Prince Andrew have been something of a godsend since they have allowed a sympathetic media to gloss over what was an uninspiring document.

What is being offered to young people? A chance to drink in a Wotherspoons pub post Brexit is not much of draw for them. The talk about importing nurses where needed does not address the failure to train our own. For public sector workers demoralised by target setting and managerial mayhem? Nothing there either. Police and armed forces, normally the focus of any Tory manifesto? Barely a squeak bar ‘clamping down on knife crime,’ a vague phrase and actually an admission that things have been slack in the first place. Building council houses for the plebs? Few can believe that any Tory candidate would ever live in what they build, once the contracts are given to their backers, so why should a voter? More McAlpine constructions on flood plains with cladding as an extra?

I think the Tories have missed a trick and are repeating the approach which failed Theresa May’s campaign, settling for a ‘strong and stable’ manifesto when they needed a headline policy to capture the voters’ interest. They have put all their eggs in the Brexit basket. It makes sense to keep JRM, Farage and Cummings away from the TV but Johnson himself is a vastly over rated public performer uncomfortable when not facing his own congregation. I notice today’s Daily Express, which every day tells us Corby’s vote is collapsing in unprecedented numbers, is getting very twitchy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 11:05

The Tory manifesto aught to be a document brimming with Tory success after 10 years in government, but it is the opposite. It's just a list of their recent policy failures and a list of "solutions" stolen right out of Tony Blair's Big Book of Public Manipulation.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 11:46

BJ is in Fife today launching the Scottish Tories' manifesto.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 18:03

I hope doen't do a Jacob and turn up in a Bentley with his nanny.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 18:11

He was in Inverkeithing apparently.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 18:14

Quote :-

Topic Originator: wee eck
Date: Tue 26 Nov 18:11

He was in Inverkeithing apparently.

Probably the safest place to go without being recognised
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 18:50

Michel Barnier has now stuck his neb in and cast doubt on Johnson's assertion that a trade deal can be done with the EU by the end of next year.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net