DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Australian Trade Deal
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 17 Jun 20:23

https://www.thenational.scot/politics/19379066.australia-trade-deal-michael-mccormack-dismissed-scottish-concerns/

It's amazing what the tories can achieve during a pandemic .All for the benefit of the union of course.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Australian Trade Deal
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 17 Jun 22:52

This is an awful deal for both British farmers and the British consumer. It's bad enough seeing Irish beef and Dutch chicken for sale in the likes of ASDA and Tesco when there are plenty of Scottish suppliers.

The one good thing about the likes of Aldi is they typically use Scottish, English or Welsh meat suppliers (depending on the country the shop is in). May be a good idea to start finding out where your local butcher is.

Edited to add - despite what some in the media are saying, Australia has some fantastic produce. My point is more why buy beef from thousands of miles away when there's a farm next door?

Post Edited (Thu 17 Jun 22:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 17 Jun 23:41

I agree, jake. My first reaction was to think of the environmental consequences of meat being despatched from one side of the world to the other but the media don`t seem to have latched on to that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Jun 14:07

https://twitter.com/Feorlean/status/1405239903860965383
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Fri 25 Jun 07:32

The view on the Trade Deal (which is really only a Memorandum of Understanding as far as I can make out) here is Australia is that it is not of benefit to Australia either. All deals are two-way, and the access that UK firms and people will have to Australia as a marketplace / workplace will increase, at the expense of the local producers / workers.
The current conservative government in Australia is, of course, boasting about it but it has burnt the Australia / China trade (a much larger market) on a lack of diplomacy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 25 Jun 16:27

I suspect the Yanks were behind the China Market collapse, and pressure was put on the English Government to help fill the void

Post Edited (Fri 25 Jun 20:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 25 Jun 17:46

GG741, doesn`t Australia get access to a far bigger market, the UK, than the UK is getting in return?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 25 Jun 19:02

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 25 Jun 17:46

GG741, doesn`t Australia get access to a far bigger market, the UK, than the UK is getting in return?

Yep. UK has a population 3x the size of Australia so imagine the market is bigger. Tbh, given the distance, I'd imagine the main trade will be in alcohol rather than perishables.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 28 Jun 06:44

Fair points about the market size in both countries.
And I would imagine that wine will be a big export from Oz, particularly as that market in China has dropped out.

To be honest, Australia really only has primary industries and services these days; very few manufacturing industries here now.
So if the UK wants some coal, gas, iron ore, meat, wine, wool, we can probably do a deal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 4 Jul 11:25

There are several factors mitigating against this trade deal.

First, is a deep-seated, decades-old resentment by Aussies about the manner in which the UK Government abandoned the British Commonwealth in favour of the European Common Market in the early `70s.

It might be 50 years ago, but the abruptness of the ending of almost two centuries of consistent trading caused significant long-term damage to the Australian (and NZ) economy. And a lot of folks don`t forget it.

Second, as my neighbour GG741 has pointed out, the nature of our manufacturing and primary industries have changed markedly in 50 years. Outside of bulk products, you really are looking at a handful of goods like wine, wool and meats, most of which you already have in abundance.

Thirdly, there are not that many UK products that we either need or use in Australia these days. Most stuff that we buy is manufactured in Asia even though it nominally is a UK or European or American brand.

Fourth, and probably most important, there is the Green Miles initiative. In other words, the desire to source the products we consume from closer to home.

Covid has not only highlighted the importance of this but has accelerated its implementation. Moving goods halfway across the world when they can be bought for the same or less close to home is completely counter to Green Miles.

Everything suggests to me that the UK-Australia Trade Deal will be a damp squib.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 4 Jul 15:01

Good post Oz .. I think you are correct about it being a damp squib .. It was just a look at me and see what we can do out of Europe to make our Country great again by Boris the Brave There is no logic to it at all

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 4 Jul 16:30

Cheap kangaroo steaks?🤔🦘🦘🦘😷😁
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jul 05:49

What's the impact in Australia with the Chinese buying less from you ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Jul 03:41

"What`s the impact in Australia with the Chinese buying less from you ?"

It is probably too early to say, but I have seen reports:
- China is sourcing new coal suppliers from Philippines and Colombia
- The USA is shipping an increased volume of coal to China
- Australia`s coal exports have been redirected to India (for now)
- China has not banned Australian iron ore (as yet)
- Australian consumers saw some cheaper lobsters back in summer
- There is a glut of wine, but too early for the full impacts to be felt. I am seeing some cheaper wines (unlabelled) in local shops, sourced from local producers
- The impacts are probably not as visible as yet, with the Aust economy impacted by COVID-19 (like everywhere else). Some of our businesses (agriculture, hospitality, etc.) were very reliant on workers from overseas, so the recovery is taking an extended period of time (plus we keep having lockdowns as we await vaccinations to ramp up).

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net