DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 MPs' Second Jobs
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 9 Nov 17:32

Is there any circumstance where having a second job would help an MP better serve their constituents?

Maybe if they ran a food bank I suppose?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: MPs' Second Jobs
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 9 Nov 19:51

That would be volunteering surely?

Second job... No

Post Edited (Tue 09 Nov 19:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 00:30

Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 9 Nov 17:32

Is there any circumstance where having a second job would help an MP better serve their constituents?

Maybe if they ran a food bank I suppose?

Philippa Whitford help out at hospitals when she has time off during recess of parliament. I believe she has also been to Palestine to help with cancer treatments there.
She is a cancer surgeon and is required to carry out a certain number of operations to stay current.
Banning all second jobs would stop things like this.
What should be banned is being a paid lobbyist. Or directorship of a company who are seeking to gain political influence.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 08:09

She can do those things for free though

Staying current is for herself to maintain her previous employment if she isn't re-elected - again could be done for free ad a volunteer

Post Edited (Wed 10 Nov 08:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 09:18

Quote:

DBP, Wed 10 Nov 08:09

She can do those things for free though

Staying current is for herself to maintain her previous employment if she isn't re-elected - again could be done for free ad a volunteer

Her work in Palestine is voluntary.
Last year over the Christmas period she volunteered at the Hospital she previously worked in as part of backroom staff.

She was a top cancer consultant and surgeon and took a huge pay cut to become an MP.
Do you actually grudge paying her the going rate for carrying out vital surgery on patients who might otherwise die due to waiting times?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 10:49

I'm not getting your point...

She chose to give up her job as surgeon and become an MP. That is her new full time job now and whether she's earning 10 times more or 10 times less is irrelevant.

They're are many jobs that you need to be active in to keep current / licenced, so rather than trying to draw the line somewhere, I'd rather say that being an MP is a full time job and you cannot take on a second paid job on top (I've got that in my employment contract)

If a doctor, pilot, diver, soldier, business strategist, lawyer, etc want to volunteer outside hours to keep current / licenced then they will have to evidence that it won't interfere in any way with their actual job as an MP and it should be done on a voluntary basis only.

If they don't want to do that then they can take a refresher course when they leave Parliament and re-licence themselves
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 12:38

OK you have it in your contract that you can't have a second paid job.
She has it in her contract that she can.
She may well have decided not to become a politician had she not been allowed to still do some work (in her own time) for the NHS.

What she does benefits society but you would happily deny her the opportunity.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 12:46

What I'm interested in is use of an MPs office to carry out work for another business. If I used my work office to do work for another business I would be sacked.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 13:09

The question isn't if its illegal, which it isnt, but whether it can help you do your job as an MP (and if it's right).

For me the answer is no

Post Edited (Wed 10 Nov 14:11)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 15:16

Exactly. Whilst performing cancer surgery in Palestine is amazing and very worthwhile work to be doing, it's not her role now that she has chosen and been selected to be a Member of Parliament.

It's also not relevant that she has taken a pay cut. I took a pay cut too when I changed careers. I have also subsequently lost my professional registration and would have to requalify if I wanted to go back to it.

These are decisions people make every day. We often make sacrifices in one part of our lives in order to I prove other parts, or other people's lives even.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 15:21

Quote:

DBP, Wed 10 Nov 13:09

The question isn't if its illegal, which it isnt, but whether it can help you do your job as an MP (and if it's right).

For me the answer is no

As the SNP's representative on healthcare issues at Westminster surely spending time working in a front line position at a hospital helps in their role as an MP.
I really can not believe you think saving the lives of people with cancer is not right. It is during parliamentary recess so has zero effect on their MP work.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 17:04

I would prefer/hope that when she left, the position she vacated was filled with another suitably qualified and capable person...

...leaving her free to focus her time and energy on her new chosen career and full time role in representing everyone in her constituency and hopefully improving the lifes of many more people
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 17:33

I see no issue with second jobs if it's in their own time and isn't a conflict of interest. I suppose the issue with MPs and other political figures is they don't work a 9-5. It's not like they're doing the occasional evening and weekend shift at Sky.

I previously worked for an organisation where the CEO had a second job working for a very limited amount of time (I think it was around a fortnight per year). Would you believe the other company conveniently got the contract to provide services to all the buildings of the organisation that person was the CEO for? Perhaps it was a coincidence...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 23:05

DBP called it right about 24 hours ago.

`She can do those things for free though

Staying current is for herself to maintain her previous employment if she isn`t re-elected - again could be done for free ad a volunteer`

All the rest is Tory propaganda. Our thumbsuckers in search of a new God.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Nov 23:24

I've looked further into what happened when she got paid to carry out surgery.
She was approached and asked by Ayrsire and Arran NHS to help at the hospital as the surgeon they had was taken ill.
If she had said no operations would have needed to be cancelled.
I'm damned sure if my old work contacted me asking me to help out I want want the going rate for the work.

She has done work for free as a volunteer as well at the same hospital.
And for free in Palestine.

There is a huge difference between what she did and the corruption the Tories are involved in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 11 Nov 09:27

If you are going to have a second job then this is the way to do it :-

Sir Geoffrey Cox has earned at least £6m from his second job since he entered parliament, a Guardian analysis reveals, and records show that he skipped 12 recent votes on days when he was doing paid legal work.

Sir Geoffrey Cox rakes in a fortune renting out a taxpayer-funded London home while claiming £1,900 a month for a second in the capital.

The Tory, already accused of using his Commons office to carry out a second job, even claimed £3,800 for his new place while working overseas. But astonishingly he has broken no Commons rules.

Now my favourite bit he is advising on corruption :-))

Sir Geoffrey was already facing criticism after being accused of using his parliamentary office for his £1million-a-year second job advising the British Virgin Islands government on corruption. He today broke his silence to insist he “does not believe he breached the rules”.

He is probably advising them on how to BE Corrupt

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Nov 12:47

I`m damned sure if my old work contacted me asking me to help out I want want the going rate for the work.

She has done work for free as a volunteer as well at the same hospital.
And for free in Palestine.

You literally contradict yourself in two sentences.

It`s just as wonderful to do the work for free (she`s not going to starve on £80k plus expenses) and it keeps everything clean and simple enough for folk like Geoffrey Cox to get their heads around without grey areas and loopholes to confuse them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Nov 17:18

Why does someone living in London already require a second home in London? I've said this before, but the second home allowance needs to be removed. Build a block of flats and allocate elected members. Surely all they really require are studio flats? Alternatively, move parliament to somewhere more central and affordable and encourage use of public transport where practical.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 11 Nov 19:44

Grenfell is lying empty, a great place for politicians to level up!🤔😷😲
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Nov 20:00

Put all the ones in there who think benefits need cut whilst crying about not being able to survive on £82k p/a.

As harsh as this sounds, if you don't get paid enough then go and get a job elsewhere like the rest of us have to.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 08:24

Stick to your day job Marcus :-

The Tory MP who said Marcus Rashford should stick to football instead of “playing politics” has a second job, the register of MPs’ financial interests shows.

Natalie Elphicke, the Conservative MP for Dover, sparked public outrage in July after she reprimanded the Manchester United player for missing a penalty in the Euro 2020 final, suggesting he should have stuck to his day job and spent less time trying to sway the Government over its position on free school meals.

The register of MPs’ financial interests shows the MP has spent hundreds of hours on work outside her Parliamentary office since being elected in December 2019, and had a second job at the time she messaged colleagues about Rashford.

She earns £36000 on top of her salary for 8 hours work apparently

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 11:36

haha - that`s brilliant busspar - you couldnae make that up!

what is it about the tory`s and this sense of entitlement??? - I genuinely think it`s the whole privilege and patronage stuff that comes with the UK and how the UK is set up

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 18:30

Every Cabinet minister has two jobs. As an MP he/she is in the Commons to represent his/her constituency, but the demands of a ministerial role must have an adverse impact on their ability to do that.

How about asking the reverse question - do we really want “career politicians, with no practical experience of the real world representing us?

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 19:19

Quote:

Malcolm Canmore, Fri 12 Nov 18:30

Every Cabinet minister has two jobs. As an MP he/she is in the Commons to represent his/her constituency, but the demands of a ministerial role must have an adverse impact on their ability to do that.

How about asking the reverse question - do we really want “career politicians, with no practical experience of the real world representing us?

An " honest career politician " is got to be way better than a corrupt individual with practical experience.

Anyone want a lordship guv ? Just give the Tory party £3 million and in you go . No experience required....

https://youtu.be/A7BImfpv4FE

Post Edited (Fri 12 Nov 19:46)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 20:01

Met police saying nothing to investigate in the "cash for honours" complaint!🤔😷😲🎩💩💩💩
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Nov 20:55

Thanks Priti knew you would help .. yours .. Boris

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 10:31

DRoss failed to record his salary as an MSP (which he donates to charity to be fair) and his fees as an assistant referee from the register of interests at Westminster. He has put his hands up and admitted it was his error but it`s an astonishing oversight for someone in such a high-profile role.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 11:29

Can`t get excited about this one. This is incompetence not sleaze or corruption. Everyone knew he was an msp and a linesman. Not as if he was taking back handers from some company or lobbying firm.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 13:50

I get the idea of preferring having mps in who’ve had previous careers, and know the “real world” …but that’s what they should be - previous

I don’t buy the argument that taking a job that keeps your hand your previous career helps you in any as an mp - that would suggest they can only make legislation or give support to things they absolutely know about …as opposed to spending time investigating and talking to people to find out. Also I’m guessing the remit and scope they have on any issue, will go much wider than any job they probably have or could keep doing.

My view is that they should only have one paymaster and therefore one concern and that’s us… and they should be serving us and only us for the duration of that Parliament
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Nov 22:15

I can understand how a second job could benefit you if you had a specific role such as Transport Minister or Chancellor.

Struggling to see how having experience of running up and down the side of a football pitch benefits the people of Moray.

Let's be honest, there's no way some of these people are doing their job properly if they're also working extra hours in a second job. It should be a simple choice - represent your constituents fully or fark orf!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Nov 09:28

Reece Mogg in a bit of bother with regards to interest free loans, lets see how far this goes!🤔😷💰💷😡

Meanwhile DWP being critisised for insufficient punishment against claimants!

Rules for some eh?😲🤬🤬🤬

https://davidhencke.com/2021/11/14/exclusive-benefits-watchdog-wants-tougher-punishment-for-jobless-and-disabled-claimants-after-dwp-bungles-new-sanctions-system/

Maybe stoning them might change their ways!

Post Edited (Mon 15 Nov 09:45)
[IP address logged]
 Re: MPs` Second Jobs
Date:   Sun 5 Dec 15:03

Douglas Ross claiming Westminster expenses whilst away in some foreign land running the line, also forgot to declare income received, some 25K+!!

Ministerial code, Douglas??🤔😷💩💩💩
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Dec 16:12

Douglas Ross is a weird one because everyone knew he was an MSP and a ref, so how did he think he was going to get away with it? How come the omission wasn`t noticed sooner, or doesn`t anybody read/check these things?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net