DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Over the border
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 08:17

Because of age and ongoing health issues I doobt I’ll be travelling abroad again, passport expired a while ago anyway.

I still hope to manage wee trips to Geordie or Scouse lands etc, and I know our esteemed FM assured us on Monday that post Indy and back in the EU a common travel area with our nearest neighbours would apply, but that takes the other parts of these islands to tango so is not in her gift...

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Over the border
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 13:17

Managed to cross the land border at least 100 times between uk and EU this summer no probs
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 13:17

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 19 Oct 08:17

Because of age and ongoing health issues I doobt I’ll be travelling abroad again, passport expired a while ago anyway.

I still hope to manage wee trips to Geordie or Scouse lands etc, and I know our esteemed FM assured us on Monday that post Indy and back in the EU a common travel area with our nearest neighbours would apply, but that takes the other parts of these islands to tango so is not in her gift...

Might be worth moving down there permanently then?
Im sure you`d be happier back hame
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 13:34

Don`t worry. Your Scottish pound will be worth so much more than an English pound that bribing the border guards will feel like a drop in the ocean 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 15:57

The border is an interesting one. NS advising it won`t be a problem, but people in Westminster can`t really criticise given the situation in N.Ireland.

I suppose it comes down to trade. Scotland does a lot of trade with England, but how much of that trade is goods going via English ports rather than to England for consumption? I suspect it`s still a big number. So then you need to consider how much of the direct trade could be replaced. For example, if England consumes 90% of our soft fruit, could it feasibly be sourced from elsewhere? If yes, there`s a problem. If no, then people will make an effort to MAKE it work.

Of course, this assumes Scotland rejoins the EU.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 16:13

Also a chance rUK might rejoin the Customs Union a bit further down the line.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 16:15

I think the plan is to use the pound sterling, for an undefined period. Then a Scottish pound for undefined period, the join the EU ( not rejoin because we wasnae a member) also after an undefined period, then presumably the Euro after another undefined….

In fact I got the impression that she was reeling off a load of guff she doesn’t really believe in - sort of like the Archbishop of Canterbury, who doesn’t believe in God, does when he preaches sermons

Anyhow no guard is getting bribed by me, I’ll nip over one of the twenty unmanned crossings!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 16:35

Jake, there is no direct ferry service to Europe, the last one closed because the operator had, to use their own words, “ given up all hope” of turning around losses.
So, goods bound for EU countries from up here currently go via English roads and ports. What would be the checks required for an EU Scotland goods transit via non EU England? Or stuff coming the other way?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 16:53

Anyone worried about the border between Scotland and England must

(a) think there`s a good chance of a referendum on Scottish independence
(b) think there`s a good chance Scotland will vote for independence
(c) think there`s a good chance of Scotland rejoining the EU

That`s encouraging.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 16:55

I believe DFDS and a shipping partner have already pre-empted this and are seeking to re-establish the Belgium link.

In terms of EU membership, the current feeling appears to be that it should be straightforward as Scotland already/still follows EU laws and regulations.

The whole pound>Scottish pound>maybe Euro feels an odd one tbh. I suppose it`s an interesting one too as it assumes that an independent Scotland would be run by an SNP government. Whoever is elected could toss any SNP plans directly in the bin.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 17:00

I don’t get the issue really.
Ireland used pounds, then punts pegged to the pound and then punts diverted from the pound and ultimately the euro…

Seems quite a sensible transition to me, and given we’d be in control to migrate whenever it makes sense for us to do so
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 17:26

Scotland would have similar issues to the early days of Ireland in that, if things weren`t so rosy, people could easily jump into the UK.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 18:05

I`d prefer if we used the Euro from day one, before moving to our own Scottish pound. I would expect that the value of the pound will plummet when it is clear Scotland is leaving the rest of the UK, at least if we use the Euro to begin with it will be fairly stable

Post Edited (Wed 19 Oct 18:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Oct 21:06

As we export more than we import a weak UK pound might not necessarily be bad for the overall economy in an IS it just wouldn`t be great for a lot of us individually as imports are more obviously expensive and things like holidays abroad would be more expensive unless we`re in rUK.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 07:21

Headline in Herald this morning “ Sturgeon promises more detail on Indy border checks amid smuggling fears”
Jings it’ll be the revival of the border reivers next!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Oct 07:58

it`s a strange one that...

I don`t think she should bother - thanks to brexit we already have a land border with the EU (one which i have crossed hundreds of times for decades as have family that live just on both sides and in one case, right across that border)

also, if you consider UK/IRL - there are many other things in place... common travel area so still no passports required, right to live/work in Ireland/UK (and that`s even now were outside of the EU), etc

whatever WM put in place regarding goods and services given they`re going to renegotiate on the protocol (which will be heralded as a success), can simply be replicated up here, and the other existing rights can easily be replicated.

again, as someone who spends at least 2wks a year on a town that`s half in the north and half in the south of ireland, spending two currencies, etc ...it`s not that scary folks

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net