DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Blackford
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 12:35

I see he`s not standing again to lead the party in Westminster.

I`m glad; I thought he was going to do himself an injury when he was trying to deal with Johnson.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Blackford
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 12:45

Never rated him in the position he held.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 13:10

He cut a fine figure in his kilt on Remembrance days. Until he bent over to lay his wreath…

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 16:03

Quote:

Parboiled, Thu 1 Dec 13:10

He cut a fine figure in his kilt on Remembrance days. Until he bent over to lay his wreath…

Sooooooo Fannnnnny
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 07:54

If the latest opinion poll and projections are correct, or even close to being, then there is going to be a lot less snp mp`s to lead anyway.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 08:55

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 2 Dec 07:54

If the latest opinion poll and projections are correct, or even close to being, then there is going to be a lot less snp mp`s to lead anyway.

Is that the same poll suggesting Dunfermline would vote Labour?!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 10:10

No idea. Didn`t see one that gave individual constituency results. Just that there had been a big uptick in support for Labour in Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 10:14

Is that the same one that showed 52% now favoured independence after the Supreme Court ruling?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 10:54

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 2 Dec 10:14

Is that the same one that showed 52% now favoured independence after the Supreme Court ruling?

No that`s a completely different poll taken by different people asking a different cross-section of society a different question. Happy to help.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 11:56

Thanks for your help.

It would be surprising if they didn`t ask different people but, if they did their sampling properly, you would expect the cross-section of society that was polled to be broadly similar. The results seem contradictory.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 12:12

A poll will nearly always tell you what you want to hear

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 12:45

I don`t think the unionist parties believe that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 13:35

I don`t think it`s contradictory at all. One poll shows a majority of Scots support independence (I`m just about still one of that group) but when it comes to a general election a majority would vote for other parties because there are other issues which are higher up their priority list. It highlights the danger the snp face with trying to make the next General Election a de facto referendum because if they do and 50.1% of votes cast are for non indy parties then that`s another referendum, official or not, that they will have lost.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 15:32

Supporting independence but voting for a party that would deny Scots a referendum if they were in power at WM is contradictory surely? There must be a lot of confused voters out there.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 16:02

The Unionist parties have a combined majority of votes in the vast majority of seats and 220, 000 more votes.
Nowt to worry about. In fact if they knocked some sense into their heads they could give the Seps a right doing by standing one candidate per seat. They won’t though, but will get well get over 50% of the vote.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 16:21

They wouldn`t be able to claim it as a vote for the union though because they don`t recognise the concept of a single issue election do they? Just like they didn`t recognise the last Holyrood election as about independence despite what their literature said and encouraging tactical voting.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 17:26

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 2 Dec 15:32

Supporting independence but voting for a party that would deny Scots a referendum if they were in power at WM is contradictory surely? There must be a lot of confused voters out there.

25% of SNP voters are No voters it works both ways to be fair. It`s also part of the risk in the SNPs current strategy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 17:37

Are you referring to Westminster or Holyrood elections? I just can`t see the logic of voting for an SNP candidate for WM if you don`t support independence.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 17:49

Good point I`d need to double check if it`s one or the other or both. Plenty of folk can agree with the policies they want to implement at Government level in bothe the UK and Scotland but believe that being part of the Union is the best way to do it. Not my take on it but it is to some.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 18:40

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 2 Dec 17:37

Are you referring to Westminster or Holyrood elections? I just can`t see the logic of voting for an SNP candidate for WM if you don`t support independence.

People vote Tory and moan about their policies...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 11:10

I see there was an angry tirade by one rebellious lady during a Sturgeon speech at an anti violence against women charity event. The agenda forbade any mention of Gender Self ID - I must have attended hundreds of boring meetings and never once saw a non agenda before!

Anyhoo she didn’t half give it pelters. Wifies Winnae Wheest, that’s potentially a huge protest vote up for grabs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 12:07

They would get even bigger support if they promoted the WASPI women and the CEDAW campaign that Thatcher was supposed to incorporate into UK law!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 14:17

Women won`t Wheesht are allegedly chummy with the Scottish Family Party...

There`s a weird narrative in the UK that supporting transgender people is somehow horrific. Unless they`re harming anyone, what`s the problem?

Some people are gay, some people are straight, some are a bit of both, some like to identify differently. Who cares?

What I don`t agree with completely is inclusive language. My argument would be that by attempting to be more inclusive you`re actually excluding people. I doubt many trans men would be upset by terms like "mother" or "breast-feeding". There`s also the serious concern of someone misunderstanding that they need a medical check because of confusing inclusive language.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 17:38

Wouldn`t it be a trans woman that could be upset with those terms? That`s a genuine question as I don`t know and asking the wrong questions in this debate can quickly go awry.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 23:54

Indeed. I suppose it`s really all trans people.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 00:19

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 02 Dec 12:12

A poll will nearly always tell you what you want to hear

That’s not true at all I asked a poll at work if he could cover my shift on the 2nd of January so I could go to the Falkirk game and he told me to fck off

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 11 Dec 19:26

I note that Ian Blackford has quit and the stories of a putsch were true after all. The last-minute attempt to find an anti-Flynn candidate was ineffective.

I once had the opportunity to ask the humble crofter a question, at a conference – he disagreed with my opinion. I’ve never been a particular fan of his since.

Of course, he is loathed by Lib Dems after the conduct of his campaign against Charles Kennedy in Ross, Skye and Lochaber (and I think disliked by Alex Salmond as well from his time as party treasurer).

Stephen Flynn is only known to me from a stint on Question Time when he said the ferry fiasco wasn’t “on his patch”. I thought this was notable as normally SNP MPs are only too happy to claim they speak “for Scotland”. I suspect there is a little impatience at what could be seen as the way some MPs have become quite comfortable with life in London and have effectively become part of the Westminster Establishment so perhaps Mr Flynn will shake things up a bit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 11 Dec 20:04

I don`t think he has the wherewithal to do that MT

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 11 Dec 20:18

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 11 Dec 20:04

I don`t think he has the wherewithal to do that MT

Flynn visited my daughter`s academy on Friday. He is our local MP.
My daughter is a fairly clever 15 year old and she said he was a bit of a clown. She wasn`t particularly impressed with him.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Dec 23:43

Unionists liked to criticise SNP MPs and MSPs for always toeing the party line and ensuring there was no public show of dissent from it. Now apparently a change in leadership at Westminster and a new approach to opposition is a sign that the party is in turmoil. Wishful thinking I suspect. Members of the unionist parties are hardly all singing from the same hymn sheet as their colleagues.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 09:12

Good to see the massive coverage (not) BBC have given to the NHS pay settlement in Scotland!

Meanwhile concentrating on the lack of trains due to a strike by Network Rail, who are trying to get negotiations going with Sunak.

Rumours that DRoss is on his way out in Scotland?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 12:50

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 13 Dec 09:12

Good to see the massive coverage (not) BBC have given to the NHS pay settlement in Scotland!

Meanwhile concentrating on the lack of trains due to a strike by Network Rail, who are trying to get negotiations going with Sunak.

Rumours that DRoss is on his way out in Scotland?

Talked about it loads on Politics Live on BBC2 at lunchtime

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 13:43

To me, the whole thing seems to be the Unionists panicking because its starting to/has already hit home that their ideology is losing/has lost the long-term battle. Labour and Lib Dem seem to refuse to acknowledge that they can effectively guarantee their political ideologies in Scotland by supporting Independence.

Personally think it is rather daft to say you are "not impressed" by someone because they disagree with you. Kennedy was somebody that I could certainly respect and agree with on a number of things, as are a number of the current Labour crop of MSPs - Michael Marra is one who I have a lot of time for.

The thing with Blackford and Kennedy is something I`ve never gotten to the bottom of. I will say though that its funny as well to see how the Lib Dems are keen to forget the actions of a certain Alistair Carmichael in that election, although this could be misconstrued as whitabootery. The only articles I can really find about the seat in 2015 seem to be from the Scottish Daily Express, which is about as reliable as anything that comes out of the Kremlin, and the Scotsman which is most definitely tory leaning. It seems though that both teams were effectively trying to smear each other during the campaign and it seems the media tried to portray it as the SNP team being worse than the Lib Dem because Kennedy was grieving his parents and close friend. I do find it funny when people attack Blackford over economics though - the guy was pretty senior in Deustche Bank and so knows his stuff. There are many people who will simply say a politician has "no idea" because they are insecure and jealous of the fact the person achieved being an MSP or whatever.

Honestly not sure how things will go with Flynn at Westminster tbh, but I would have preferred Joanna Cherry or Alyn Smith but Mairi Black would have been a good choice as well. Flynn doesn`t strike me as the most intellectual or sharp of leaders but we`ll see how he does.

Post Edited (Tue 13 Dec 13:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 10:32

It looks like Stephen Flynn is already adopting a more aggressive approach. From the Guardian :-

This afternoon three hours have been set aside in the Commons for a debate on an SNP motion. Speaking ahead of the debate, Stephen Flynn, the new SNP leader at Westminster, said:

`We will use our opposition day to put forward the Scotland Act 1998 (amendment) bill and seek to take control of parliament’s order paper to unlock Westminster’s denial of democracy.

The mechanism, which will seek to amend the Scotland Act 1998, will allow the Scottish parliament to legislate for a referendum and reject any attempts by Westminster to impose a roadblock on Scotland’s democratic journey to independence.

The people of Scotland have already voted for a referendum and now is the time for one.

That is a democratic reality that politicians at Westminster must wake up to.`

The government and Labour are both opposed to another Scottish independence referendum now, and the SNP motion is certain to be voted down.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 12:37

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 14 Dec 10:32

It looks like Stephen Flynn is already adopting a more aggressive approach. From the Guardian :-

This afternoon three hours have been set aside in the Commons for a debate on an SNP motion. Speaking ahead of the debate, Stephen Flynn, the new SNP leader at Westminster, said:

`We will use our opposition day to put forward the Scotland Act 1998 (amendment) bill and seek to take control of parliament’s order paper to unlock Westminster’s denial of democracy.

The mechanism, which will seek to amend the Scotland Act 1998, will allow the Scottish parliament to legislate for a referendum and reject any attempts by Westminster to impose a roadblock on Scotland’s democratic journey to independence.

The people of Scotland have already voted for a referendum and now is the time for one.

That is a democratic reality that politicians at Westminster must wake up to.`

The government and Labour are both opposed to another Scottish independence referendum now, and the SNP motion is certain to be voted down.

Eck it`s all nonsense and time-wasting this could have been done months/year`s ago.
The SNP have settled in not settled up.
Currency, borders, pensions nothing addressed in the last 8 years....
Troughers keep troughing. They`re just doing the groundwork to settle in for another 10 years.

Ever get the feeling you're being cheated?

Post Edited (Wed 14 Dec 12:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 13:03

Unfortunately 40-odd SNP MPs can`t change the way WM works and have to work within the system there. The other issues you mention won`t be addressed at WM.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 15:30

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 14 Dec 13:03

Unfortunately 40-odd SNP MPs can`t change the way WM works and have to work within the system there. The other issues you mention won`t be addressed at WM.

They don`t have to work within the system though do they? How do you think Ireland become independent.

The other issues have to be addressed and the SNP have had 8 years since the last independence referendum to do so, what`s taking the time. It`s not as if the MPs and MSPs have been run off their feet all the 100+ of them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 15:37

Quote:

Tenruh, Wed 14 Dec 15:30

Quote:

They don`t have to work within the system though do they? How do you think Ireland become independent.

So we gonna have a civil war?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 19:53

HJ

I’m confused by your first paragraph – you appear to be suggesting that both Labour and Liberal “ideologies” are in terminal decline but also simultaneously about to achieve hegemony. This seems contradictory. But surely if anyone is panicking, perhaps it is the SNP which has changed its Westminster leader against the wishes of the Murrells?

I admit to being flippant with my comments about being unimpressed by Mr Blackford. Clearly, were I to be unimpressed by everyone I disagreed with, then I would be impressed by very few. Although I agree, Michael Marra, who I think is the nephew of the author of “Hamish the goalie”, the paean to the famous (for all the wrong reasons) former Pars custodian, may be one exception. There are other reasons not to be impressed with Mr B though.

You will have a different search history from me, but there are articles re Kennedy and Blackford in the Spectator and the Sunday Post. Plus there was a BBC Alba documentary.

People can achieve seniority with minimal ability (particularly in Politics) however. I think his silence on the economic case for Indy and his confusion over the SNP’s official policy on State Pensions speaks volumes.

Stephen Flynn seemed to be speaking…in very short…staccato…bursts today. Is that his normal style? He had a good line about power and energy, but seemed to be reluctant to use the word “English” to describe the Channel. And was he accidentally extolling the benefits of nuclear power?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Dec 08:22

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Wed 14 Dec 15:37

Quote:

Tenruh, Wed 14 Dec 15:30

Quote:

So we gonna have a civil war?

Civil war was the last option. Surely there`s options way before that.
One things for sure. There won`t be any "Gold Standard " election next year as promised by the nuSNP, remember
"NO IFS NO BUTS"
NuSNP = Old Leibour
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Thu 15 Dec 08:37

Perhaps I should have been more explicit MT.

What I was meaning is that UK Unionism is dying in Scotland (and has been for a while and will only continue to do so - new polls clearly show the age factor) but the desire for a Liberal/Social Democratic Scotland could be guaranteed rather easily in an independent state, considering that 75-80% of the population vote SNP, Labour, Lib Dem or Green. These are all centre/left-of-centre parties and so this is the main political ideology that prevails in Scotland. Labour and Lib Dem need to realise (or I guess accept) that Scotland being in the UK is a threat to Social Democracy in Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Dec 08:46

The new voter ID rules that the Tories have brought in will scupper many a youngsters vote!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net