DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Nicola Sturgeon to resign
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 09:59

Press conference at 11 am.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Nicola Sturgeon to resign
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 10:01

Will be interesting to see exactly why but I think she realises that she has taken the independence movement as far as she can and yet she was the snp`s most valuable asset.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 10:04

Yogi to be unveiled as caretaker until the end of the season.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 10:15

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 15 Feb 10:04

Yogi to be unveiled as caretaker until the end of the season.

Haha
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 10:17

Will she turn up?

She does have a shocking memory…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 10:19

The old adage of `all political careers end in failure` remains accurate.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 10:20

"She`s had enough" ........oh the irony

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 11:23

Don’t worry if you’ve missed the beginning of this self serving,self congratulatory, self pitying drone of a resignation.
We’ve had three “finally’s” and she’s still waffling on At this rate they’ll need to postpone the six o’clock news.

Post Edited (Wed 15 Feb 11:28)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 11:42

Honestly, a bit surprised but not shocked. I reckoned she might wait until Sunak is booted out for Starmer, which is only a matter of time.

Alyn Smith or Joanna Cherry would be my preferred candidates to take over as they have solid legal and career backgrounds. Both, however, sit in Westminster currently and I`m not sure what the SNP rules are regarding party leadership. Kate Forbes is the most likely name from within Holyrood I`d think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 12:05

Quote:

hurricane_jimmy, Wed 15 Feb 11:42

Honestly, a bit surprised but not shocked. I reckoned she might wait until Sunak is booted out for Starmer, which is only a matter of time.

Alyn Smith or Joanna Cherry would be my preferred candidates to take over as they have solid legal and career backgrounds. Both, however, sit in Westminster currently and I`m not sure what the SNP rules are regarding party leadership. Kate Forbes is the most likely name from within Holyrood I`d think.

Salmond was leader while in Westminster so I don`t think it will deter anyone from standing.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 12:54

Although Salmond was leader at Westminster, I think the SNP were in opposition at Holyrood.

The next leader will be First Minister - if Cherry or anyone else wants it they need to be an MSP (and I believe SNP rules mean they have to quit Westminster).

Presumably they need to persuade someone to vacate a safe Holyrood seat to engineer this - that`s quite a gamble.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 13:01

Well it would if they also want to be First Minister. If the snp leader is only an elected official at Westminster then it would mean that the First Minister of the Scottish Government is subservient to an mp at Westminster within their own party.
Joanna Cherry would never be elected as leader. I get the impression she isn`t popular with the grass roots activists.
I get a feeling that someone might come in who is able to bring Alba types back on board.

As for Sturgeon I think she is a person of decent moral standing who almost always acted in what she thought was the best interests of Scotland. She was however ultimately a politician and a few times was unable to recall things that she really should have been able to remember. In the final analysis (granted it`s actually to early for that) I don`t think the nation is any better or worse for having her as First Minister. We`re exactly where we were always going to be.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 13:09

It doesn`t matter who you vote for or what your views are, Nicola Sturgeon was, and is, a fantastic politician. Held to a far higher account than most and takes it in her stride.

There`s clearly something afoot in the SNP with changes already happening in Westminster.

If you follow the independence debate then I think it`s good news and bad news for both sides. It really depends on who the successor is.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 13:39

Kate Forbes cannot possibly be a candidate for leader

Her sincerely held Christian beliefs would make telling porkies extremely difficult, and she surely can’t be in favour of boars dressing up as sows

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 13:45

A fantastic politician, streets ahead of any other political figure in the UK in this century. She will be a hard act to follow but I would like to see someone in that will be a bit more aggressive in achieving the goal
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 13:53

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 15 Feb 11:23

Don’t worry if you’ve missed the beginning of this self serving,self congratulatory, self pitying drone of a resignation.
We’ve had three “finally’s” and she’s still waffling on At this rate they’ll need to postpone the six o’clock news.

Away and stroke yourself in piece you absolute gremlin. If she does resign, she will do so as one of the better leaders in the Isles that I've seen in my 30yrs

Post Edited (Wed 15 Feb 13:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 14:19

Aye but will she resign again if this resignation doesn`t work???🤣🤣🤣

I have no political leanings either way so don`t think I`m having a pop ....it`s just a joke

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 16:02

Tut tut..this is no time for levity.

Particularly for those who thought she levitated over water.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 16:32

Have you been giving some thought to childish nicknames you`ll be able to apply to some of the potential candidates?

I notice most of her political opponents have been quite gracious in their comments on her resignation - with one notable exception trying manfully to make political capital out of it.

I wonder who the Mail/Express/Telegraph would like to succeed her? Who could they most easily vilify?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 17:01

Very pleased she is gone, it is no hyperbole to say I will sleep a little easier tonight and live less in fear of the enforcers of her ideology coming for me for holding "unacceptable views" or saying the wrong thing. Her tenure will be regarded as a very dark chapter in our country`s history and Sturgeon`s reign a lesson on how to avoid the slippery slope of authoritarianism.

Bad enough any politician would express the view they despise hundreds of thousands of people and all they stand for, but when it is the leader of the country you were born in, contributed to and lived all your life in it takes on a more urgent, close felt terror.

It is difficult to see who Sturgeon in the end was appealing to, seemingly moving around armies on her war map that didn`t exist. Her war on men, turned into a war on conservatives eventually turning on her female base putting the rights of a tiny minority over the safety of women and girls. Contributed by being in bed with the extremist communist greens who think they are saving the world.

Perhaps she was looking at a broader horizon, tallying up wokery points for a future role with the UN, WEF, EU or one of the other supra-national alphabet soup bodies where failed politicians can stroke their own egos without having to worry about those pesky voters and elections.

Much like Jacinda Ardern, Sturgeon had surrounded herself with activists rather than regular people, and what she thought was moderate, progressive policies turned out to be extreme regressive policies to the point where stone age people seemed to have a better grasp on realities of life and biology than the party of power in Scotland. I suspect and hope Trudeau will be the next to fall.

Once you call decent, honest people names like "sexist", "racist", "misogynist", "homophobic" and the rest, there is no coming back from it, they will never engage in honest debate with you and view you as a bad actor, and that is genuinely what I think Sturgeon was, or at least had become.

Alyn Smith of "you are on ze list" another authoritarian who terrifies me, Kates Forbes intellectually vacant, Humza Yousaf just plain incompetent. The only viable candidate who has emerged from this s-show jamboree with any credit has Been Joanna Cherry, although it would be difficult for her to serve as First Minister from Westminster in my opinion without some electoral jiggery pokery.

I have a wide pool of friends from all political backgrounds and parties, not a single one of them regret she is going. Hopefully some sort of healing can begin in our country now the divider-in-chief has got her jotters.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 17:07

Despite saying it wouldn`t be hyperbole it turned out to be exactly that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 17:08

I take it your not a fan of hers Bletchley .. :-))

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 17:09

It is my lived experience.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 17:32

IMO You don’t half write some pissh BletchleyPar

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 17:43

It`s difficult to take seriously anyone who thinks we in Scotland live under an `authoritarian` government when you see what`s going on elsewhere in the world. Despite the electoral system being devised to make it nigh-on impossible for one party to gain a majority at Holyrood and encourage coalitions among parties, the SNP has dominated Scottish politics under Nicola Sturgeon by winning democratic elections. They also reduced Labour to one seat at Westminster and are the third largest party there.

All this has been achieved in the face of consistent hostility from the media both in Scotland and the UK in general. Politics doesn`t keep me awake at night but I`m much more concerned by right-wing tendencies of the ruling party at Westminster and the constant pandering towards it which distorts the direction the UK is heading. Nicola Sturgeon is `divisive` apparently. This now seems to be applied to anyone who doesn`t agree with the policies of the ruling UK party. I thought politics was supposed to be `divisive` so various views could be expressed. If it`s not then surely we`re heading for `authoritarianism`? We`re still waiting to hear what the democratic route is for Scotland to follow if it wants to extricate itself from the UK.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 18:36

Quote:

buffy, Wed 15 Feb 17:32

IMO You don’t half write some pissh BletchleyPar

I`m just surprised that Jeremy Clarkson is a Pars fan tbh.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 18:46

The Pars. The greatest team. In the world.

And on that bombshell!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 18:49

That makes even less sense than your first one.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 19:39

Very good post wee eck @ 17.43

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 19:46

What we see on a daily basis is people blaming the wrong people and policies for issues.

I question a LOT of what the SNP have delivered in Scotland but they`ve been more effective than Labour. There`s this real naivety around what`s achievable. I heard a guy on the radio say Sturgeon had failed on child poverty so he didn`t support her. Scotland has the lowest levels of child poverty in the UK!

I`m amazed how much scrutiny there`s been of Sturgeon in comparison to others. People demanding answers over a £100k donation/loan and a Labour MPs £250 Airpods but seemingly fine with a number of MPs who appear to be actively avoiding tax and benefiting from procurement pieces worth billions.

Idiots like Michelle "ahm away tae England if ye vote yes" Mone (moved anyway...) stealing millions of taxpayers money and nothing done. It`s disgusting how much our country is controlled by the press who manipulate the ill-informed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 20:37

Well said jake

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 21:59

Excellent post Bletchley Par.

Sturgeon is one of those politicians who are trying to impress activists/academics with how ‘progressive’ they are - more interested in policies that sound good than ones that actually work.

She forgot that real people - including her own supporters - aren’t as woke as she’d like them to be.

It’s easy to lose touch when you’re flying around in a helicopter with your own name on it pretending to be a ‘world leader’ saving the planet.

Hoping for some humility from whoever is next.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 22:28

Is humility what you look for in politicians at Westminster too?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 22:30

That post by Bletchley Par is possibly the biggest load of tripe I`ve had to read on here. I actually had to go back to make sure it wasn`t written by Parboiled.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 22:38

You can spot the right wing misogynist tories a mile away on this post I’d rather have a leader who tried their hardest to make Scotland a much more diverse and inclusive country than it already is than what we have had to deal with in Westminster over the last 10 years

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 23:21

If a leader of Yorkshire - which has the same population as Scotland- described themselves as a ‘world leader’, then we’d all agree that they had delusions of grandeur.

Sturgeon got a wee bit carried away is all I’m saying.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 23:36

Why does size matter in terms of being a world leader? Is there a cut off? Is Xi Jingping the ultimate leader?

Scotland needs someone who is going to fight for it, not some wallflower who just makes up the numbers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Feb 23:42

Scotland does have one characteristic that Yorkshire doesn`t have though, doesn`t it, as do many places which are much smaller?

Did she actually describe herself as a `world leader`? I have to admit I don`t follow her every word the way some folk do. What are they going to do for pleasure now?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parnott  
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 08:47

Sturgeon is / was a formidable politician but she looked weary and beat yesterday. Her record overall on devolved powers hasn`t been good enough. The focus always seemed to be on what they weren`t allowed to do instead of running efficiently what they could and then asking for more.

Throw in a few additional murky issues across the Salmond escapade, ferries fiasco and the recent gender reforms and the drive to get to 55% consistently has stalled somewhat.

Having a progressive tax system is fine as long as it demonstrates all the devolved powers are running like clockwork but health and education are long way from that. I think Scotland will probably become independent eventually but not in the short term now.

There isn`t anybody with her clout or experience in the running to replace her so interesting times ahead.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 10:07

Thought the gender reforms were voted on and passed by the Scottish Parliament, supported across all parties?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 10:17

It is difficult to pick a replacement from the glittering array of talent.

My two favourites would be Emma Harper who informed us she got a better exchange for a Scottish pound than than an English one, and who used currency anyway we all used plastic.

Then we have Angela Constance who asked if she could re run an answer during an interview not realising she was on live telly…

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 10:48

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 16 Feb 10:07

Thought the gender reforms were voted on and passed by the Scottish Parliament, supported across all parties?

The parties should be taking guidance from the people not the other way round.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 11:54

Good post Parnott

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 12:24

Indeed, never has the gap between the self righteous we know best posers in Holyrood and the public been wider.
The female vote in particular is there for the taking by the party that ditches the wifie can have a willy tripe

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 12:29

Quote:

Tenruh, Thu 16 Feb 10:48

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 16 Feb 10:07

The parties should be taking guidance from the people not the other way round.

You cannot possibly consult the public on every single matter. We elect MSPs to make decisions, not ask us the answers.

Of course views should be taken, but my understanding is views were requested on the GRA. Most of the concerns I read about it are incredibly ill-informed and often completely unrelated to the act!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 12:55

I think the Gender Recognition issue was one where the Scottish government really suffered from having few friends in the media. The original bill was hardly a mainstream issue and, whilst controversial, won enough support from all parties at Holyrood to be passed. For whatever reason, incidents of sexual offenders who had changed sex from male to female being housed, even temporarily for assessment, in women`s prisons suddenly made the news although this procedure was not new and had nothing to do with the GR bill but was covered by existing UK law. Despite it being said umpteen times that the two issues should not be conflated they continued to be reported as if they were connected.

The Tories of course sought to exploit the situation with talk of sex `beasts` and `monsters` and asking Nicola Sturgeon whether a rapist was a man or a woman. Labour, to their credit, desisted from this type of attack as many of their MSPs had supported the legislation. If I`ve misunderstood the situation I`d be happy if someone could clarify it but it all seemed to me to be a misrepresentation of the situation which most of the media was complicit in conveying.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 13:11

On the general subject of Nicola Sturgeon`s performance as a politician I was struck by a comment from Robert Peston of ITV last night when asked to assess her career. He said that, unlike most of the politicians he`d dealt with over the years, she did actually try to answer the questions which were put to her.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 15:23

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 16 Feb 12:55

I think the Gender Recognition issue was one where the Scottish government really suffered from having few friends in the media. The original bill was hardly a mainstream issue and, whilst controversial, won enough support from all parties at Holyrood to be passed. For whatever reason, incidents of sexual offenders who had changed sex from male to female being housed, even temporarily for assessment, in women`s prisons suddenly made the news although this procedure was not new and had nothing to do with the GR bill but was covered by existing UK law. Despite it being said umpteen times that the two issues should not be conflated they continued to be reported as if they were connected.

The Tories of course sought to exploit the situation with talk of sex `beasts` and `monsters` and asking Nicola Sturgeon whether a rapist was a man or a woman. Labour, to their credit, desisted from this type of attack as many of their MSPs had supported the legislation. If I`ve misunderstood the situation I`d be happy if someone could clarify it but it all seemed to me to be a misrepresentation of the situation which most of the media was complicit in conveying.

After the stramash regarding the policy, everything on the media turned on the LGBT issue, including the Galashiels butcher that had abducted the schoolgirl and more recently the 16yr old English girl who was stabbed to death last weekend.

She was described as transgender, just to put the boot in, is this the way things are now moving?

Baying mobs at the immigrant hotel in Liverpool along with the appointment of 30p Lee, obviously stirring up hatred prior to the coming elections, a policy that has made one of their senior advisors resign.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 15:34

The whole issue regarding the status of transgender prisoners is the one time, that I can remember, where Sturgeon was left flustered and wrong footed by a journalist. I`m sure we`ve all seen the interview, quite remarkable as she is usually able to bat away questions with consummate ease. It is an almost impossible to answer yet it would be a circle she would have to somehow square time and time again and perhaps she felt she just couldn`t manage it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 15:58

How relevant was the question to the GR issue and what was the motivation behind it?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 16:26

The motivation was a journalist saw the chance to ask a question that was going to leave the most powerful politician in Scotland floundering.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 16:55

... on an issue that was a matter reserved to Westminster. Why would he want the First Minister to be seen to be `floundering`?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 17:44

What reserved matter would that be?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 18:08

There are some really good posts on this thread .. Please don`t turn it into a tit for tat .. I honestly think the transgender issue was why she stepped down .. It`s a minefield .. can of worms .. and will divide many from all parties

Sad to see her go .. My independence dream has gone :-(

Nicola was by a country mile the most accomplished leader for Scotland and better than any of the Last 5 Prime Ministers we have had to endure

Good Luck and best wishes to her

Post Edited (Thu 16 Feb 18:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 18:19

`What reserved matter would that be?`

The way transgender prisoners were `processed` which I believe is covered by the Equality Act 2010 which is UK legislation. The GRR Bill has nothing to do with this process. This is the point I was making in my post at 12:55.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 18:21

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 16 Feb 15:23

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 16 Feb 12:55

After the stramash regarding the policy, everything on the media turned on the LGBT issue, including the Galashiels butcher that had abducted the schoolgirl and more recently the 16yr old English girl who was stabbed to death last weekend.

She was described as transgender, just to put the boot in, is this the way things are now moving?

Baying mobs at the immigrant hotel in Liverpool along with the appointment of 30p Lee, obviously stirring up hatred prior to the coming elections, a policy that has made one of their senior advisors resign.

I found it interesting that little was said about a girl of 16 who had clearly decided to live their life as a gender other than the one they were born. What happened to 16 being too young? Also ignored that she was bullied and excluded from school prior to her murder.

This has all happened following many MPs standing up and criticising a bill on the basis that it allows predators (trans women) into safe spaces (it doesn`t). How utterly disgusting those individuals are to use the very real issues experienced by many trans people to score political points.

When WILL we hear the justification for the intervention? Been a month and the silence is deafening.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 18:29

I`m not sure that is quite correct Wee Eck. If so then the act was being contravened either before or after Isla Bryson was removed from a women`s prison to a men`s prison. I could be wrong though as I`m not a lawyer.
[URL]www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/09/trans-prisoners-in-scotland-to-be-first-sent-to-jails-matching-their-birth-gender[/URL]

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Feb 20:10

You may be right. I think the main point is the GR Bill had nothing to do with men invading women`s spaces, including prisons, but the issues were reported as if it did.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Feb 05:54

Alyn Smith is authoritarian?...I`ve read some really funny things from Unionists on various forms of Social Media but that is genuinely hilarious!

I see Joanna Cherry has been calling on Peter Murrell to quit as the SNP chief as well, which would likely be a very good move I reckon.

A good few posts on here just show that Unionists actually need to go and explore the world outside the UK a wee bit to gain some proper perspective...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Feb 08:57

There is something of the dominatrix about Smyth.

I should know, being chained to the kitchen sink in my pinny all day..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Feb 10:17

I`d like Angus Robertson to get the job, him and his wife would be a great team .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Feb 12:50

Here`s another contributory factor to her resignation no doubt as reported in the Guardian:-

`The brutality of political life had taken its toll on her, said Nicola Sturgeon as she announced her resignation on Wednesday. That same day, a 42-year-old man was jailed for sending her an email saying she was going to “face a hanging” for treason. Two weeks earlier, a 70-year-old man was found guilty of threatening to assassinate her.

It may come as no surprise, then, that Scotland’s former first minister recently described the environment for women in politics as “much harsher and more hostile” than at any time in her decades-long career.

“Social media provides a vehicle for the most awful abuse of women, misogyny, sexism and threats of violence for women who put their heads above the parapet,” Sturgeon, 52, told the BBC’s Kirsty Wark in a documentary that will air on Tuesday.

This vitriol has left female politicians fearing for their safety. Caroline Nokes, the Conservative chair of parliament’s women and equalities committee, said she had reported death threats to the police. “The worst was from a bloke who said he wanted to rape and torture me until I was dead,” she said.`

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Feb 14:35

See the borders butcher has been charged with sexual assult on the 11 year old kid he/she abducted

Post Edited (Fri 17 Feb 14:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Feb 15:17

What`s that got to do with anything? The vast overwhelming majority of sexual crimes are committed by non trans people, usually straight men. What this person did or did not do has nothing to do with what gender they want to be.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Feb 16:39

Angus Robertson’s only notable contribution was running our Census a year later than the rest of the UK. Covid to blame of course, though England, Wales and NI managed theirs on time. Strange that…
Lowest response rate too.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Feb 19:40

Perhaps because people progressively care less and less about the UK? 🤔
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 14:47

Wee Eck : ‘Sturgeon gets no support from the mainstream media’.

Also Wee Eck : ‘Here’s a fawning quote from Robert Peston’.

Also Wee Eck: ‘Here’s another supportive article from The Guardian’.

🤣🤣🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 17:21

Peston was reporting how she answered questions, not supporting her. Likewise the Guardian was reporting the atmosphere in which female politicians have to operate. I know people like you would like a totalitarian media that supported the establishment without reservation and no mitigating circumstances allowed. You are part of the problem but you`ll probably deny it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 17:58

Peston wasn’t supporting her? Seriously????

OK, mate. Direct quote from Preston’s twitter feed:

“That was a truly remarkable resignation statement by Nicola Sturgeon. Whether or not you back her ideas and convictions, she has been one of the most important politicians of this generation.”

Peston’s a fully paid-up fanboy - I’m not sure what other interpretation you could have.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 18:07

Now Sturgeons gone the trolls will be lost, they`ll have to start on McPake!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 19:32

`...Whether or not you back her ideas and convictions, she has been one of the most important politicians of this generation.”

I think that`s pretty clear he was not assessing her from a partisan point of view. His assessment was shared by most commentators and also fellow politicians who did not share her political beliefs.

The original point I was making was in relation to the lack of support for her politics in the media. Where in the mainstream media is there any support for independence? I`ve often thought it would be interesting to debate why the MSM is so unrepresentative of public opinion in Scotland where support for and against independence is pretty much split down the middle. Of course, there`s no chance of having that debate in the MSM!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 21:02

I would guess that MSM reflects its readership/viewership which is never going to be a cross section of the general public (particularly in terms of age distribution).

With the exception of the BBC, the MSM has no obligation to reflect public opinion.

There is a paper that supports Indy, but it’s not mainstream because very few buy it. The Indy mob can be found on social media and forums such as this one, but they’re presumably not buying papers.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 21:18

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Sat 18 Feb 21:02

I would guess that MSM reflects its readership/viewership which is never going to be a cross section of the general public (particularly in terms of age distribution).

With the exception of the BBC, the MSM has no obligation to reflect public opinion.

There is a paper that supports Indy, but it’s not mainstream because very few buy it. The Indy mob can be found on social media and forums such as this one, but they’re presumably not buying papers.

What you`re suggesting is that unionists are a bunch of old fogies who still consider the Sun and Daily Mail to provide balanced reporting...

I don`t think I know anyone my age who consumes their news via a paper.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 21:41

It`s 2023, I`ve never known anybody in my age group (30) who have ever in their life paid for a paper.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 21:49

I`ve never bought a paper since 17th September 2014.
Prior to then I probably bought or read a paper every day from1968

Post Edited (Sat 18 Feb 21:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 22:05

MSM isn`t just the printed press. There will be plenty people reading the Mail/Express/Telegraph etc online. I recall when Andrew Neil was involved in the launch of the GB News channel he said it was required because right-wing views were under-represented on television! The right wing won`t be happy until they have majority control of all aspects of media.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 22:16

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 18 Feb 22:05

MSM isn`t just the printed press. There will be plenty people reading the Mail/Express/Telegraph etc online. I recall when Andrew Neil was involved in the launch of the GB News channel he said it was required because right-wing views were under-represented on television! The right wing won`t be happy until they have majority control of all aspects of media.

They already have control of all the media, always have done and always will do. All the written MSM is owned by I believe 5 individuals and I suspect none live on this island.
Even the local paper is corrupted.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 23:33

Come to think of it, didn’t the Scottish Sun back the SNP in the 2015 GE?

The MSM can’t force you to consume their content, so the public ultimately control the media - not the other way round.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 23:47

They`re only hearing one message though aren`t they?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 07:09

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Sat 18 Feb 23:33

Come to think of it, didn’t the Scottish Sun back the SNP in the 2015 GE?

The MSM can’t force you to consume their content, so the public ultimately control the media - not the other way round.

True to a point, newspaper figures have dropped drastically, but you are forced to pay for the EBC. Every news outlet has a section with the newspaper reviews which is basically giving the media barrons a platform.
Most members of the public don`t realise its getting spoon fed to them constantly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 09:10

The printed press is dying and on the last breath of life support.

The online press is desperately trying to survive by offering freebies galore to tempt new readers and reclaim those who who have ended their subscriptions.

Their days are numbered as well, the dwindling older generation are all that’s left to squabble over.

Anyway, isn’t it strange that those who are duped, manipulated, spoon fed etc are always those who whose opinions and political allegiances differ from oneself?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 11:14

That`s certainly what the Unionists on social media think.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 11:33

Apparently the youngsters are addicted to TikTok videos allegedly controlled by the Chinese Communist Party, and folk on here are worried about Rupert Murdoch like it’s still 1992.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 12:53

There is nothing wrong with TikTok. It is just a fun platform to share videos on. Everyone is treated fairly and equally and it is carefully monitored by its owner. It absolutely is not anything to be scared of...honest.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 16:14

TikTok? What’s that?

I’m still grappling with my IPad for seniors manual!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 21:04

I think if you`re an SNP voter and an ardent independence advocate, Angus Robertson would seem the sensible choice.
He doesn`t shoot of the hip, but thinks through his arguments in debate and was a very popular leader in the WM group.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 23:09

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Sun 19 Feb 21:04

I think if you`re an SNP voter and an ardent independence advocate, Angus Robertson would seem the sensible choice.
He doesn`t shoot of the hip, but thinks through his arguments in debate and was a very popular leader in the WM group.

He would be a safe pair of hands for the time being
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Feb 23:11

The key thing is being popular rather than a good politician.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 10:37

Super news Robertson NOT standing....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 11:09

I don`t know much about Robertson. Why is it good news he`s NOT standing?

Yousaf and Forbes seem the only high profile people to have stood up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 11:23

Quote:

jake89, Mon 20 Feb 11:09

I don`t know much about Robertson. Why is it good news he`s NOT standing?

Yousaf and Forbes seem the only high profile people to have stood up.

Super news...he was the individual who removed all the power's the party members had of the NEC .

Also looking like there's some interesting information about him re the Stewart Mcdonald phone hacking incident .

Post Edited (Mon 20 Feb 11:32)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 13:40

It will be interesting to see what line of attack the right-wing media take on Kate Forbes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 13:46

Thanks Tenruh. Genuinely never paid much attention to him. Ash Regan seems to be talking the most sense so far but I`m not familiar with her.

Forbes` religion shouldn`t be relevant but agree it`ll be interesting to see how the right handle this given the likes of Rees-Mogg really push their Christian values. Again, not massively familiar with Forbes so not sure how much her faith influences her decision making process. What religion (if any) are Regan and Yousaf? Why does it matter.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 13:59

Yousaf`s a Muslim. I didn`t say religion matters but that won`t stop some of the media mentioning it I suspect.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 14:08

Have to disagree on that tbh - anyone who is daft enough to base their life around a magic eejit in the sky from a couple of fictional books in the Middle East (especially when we have all the scientific knowledge that we posses today about Astrophysics, Biochemistry etc) should not be anywhere near any position with legislative power.

Notwithstanding that, Yousaf`s incompetence would rule him out for me. The guy is a fud.

Need to research Ash Reagan a wee bitty more but I would still favour Joanna Cherry followed by Alyn Smith with John Swinney coming in in the meantime. Whether Swinney would agree to that though I don`t know but he has made quite clear that he doesn`t want the leadership role and not sure if the SNP rules would allow them to do that though.

Post Edited (Mon 20 Feb 14:11)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 14:36

Quote:

hurricane_jimmy, Mon 20 Feb 14:08

Have to disagree on that tbh - anyone who is daft enough to base their life around a magic eejit in the sky from a couple of fictional books in the Middle East (especially when we have all the scientific knowledge that we posses today about Astrophysics, Biochemistry etc) should not be anywhere near any position with legislative power.

Notwithstanding that, Yousaf`s incompetence would rule him out for me. The guy is a fud.

Need to research Ash Reagan a wee bitty more but I would still favour Joanna Cherry followed by Alyn Smith with John Swinney coming in in the meantime. Whether Swinney would agree to that though I don`t know but he has made quite clear that he doesn`t want the leadership role and not sure if the SNP rules would allow them to do that though.

Swinney the redacter has ruled himself out of the contest.
When he previously was the party leader he was useless .
The others haven`t got an option to stand as they are in Westminster not Holyrood.

Post Edited (Mon 20 Feb 14:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 14:38

What`s the point of considering Swinney and Cherry who have ruled themselves out?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 14:54

Thanks wee eck. Sorry if it came across that I was suggesting you were concerned about Forbes` religion. I was meaning more how society generally feels and how the media is reporting it.

The media has gone on a full on SNP attack. I think I`m clear I`m no SNP fan (not a fan of any parties if I`m honest!) but I`m close to laughing out loud at a Spectator article criticising the SNP for supporting health and wellbeing and emotional intelligence in schools. I`m genuinely baffled at how someone can consider this to be a negative thing! Maybe a bit too "woke" and kids should be suppressing their feelings and conforming? I`m a real sceptic of Curriculum for Excellence but I`m really happy that my kids are taught to think about how their actions affect others and why someone may act a particular way.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 15:34

I`ve always thought the Spectator was pretty right-wing but I see they claim to be a vehicle for all sorts of viewpoints. Their editor, Fraser Nelson, is a Scot who seems implacably opposed to independence, and it seems their Scotland editor is now Alex Massie who used to write for the Times and has similar views I think.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 19:08

I fear the snp, and with it independence, will have been torpedoed below the waterline by the time this leadership contest is settled. Its either going to be Yousaf of Forbes. Yousaf will be unpopular with the electorate and Forbes is unpopular with snp activists.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 19:57

You `fear`? Aye, right!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 20:23

Yeah. You see I am a snp voter, former member (granted an inactive one, I maybe still am, would have to check my bank account for the yearly fee coming out) and a soft supporter of Scottish independence. I will however call out the snp when required and I won`t criticise their opponents as a matter of course. The snp don`t have my unqualified support, only an idiot would give that. You see Wee Eck, you read my posts and because they can be critical of the Scottish Government that means I must be for everything that the snp is against. If the voters don`t have integrity then how can we expect those who they elect to have any?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 20:40

Well, all I can say is I wouldn`t have thought that from your posts. I`ve never felt strongly enough about politics to join any political party. I just feel the media are so skewed the opposite point of view has to be expressed.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 21:03

I joined the snp, like many others, in the immediate aftermath of the 2014 referendum. Pointless really as I was never motivated enough to take any part in any of the activities of being in a political party. Think it was just listening to David Cameron on the steps of Downing Street talking as if that`s the Scottish question settled and it would just be business as usual.
If you look at my posts in the politics forum recently I have been very critical of the snp government, especially of the ferry contract fiasco. It is something you should be outraged over as well Wee Eck. It was a disgraceful waste of public money. The time the snp did its best work in government and consequently made the lives of Scottish people better was before the 2014 referendum. In my opinion that`s because before the indy ref they actually had to work for our votes and support. Since 2014 too many just give whoever is wearing an snp rosette their vote like they used to give to the Labour candidates prior.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 22:16

It doesn`t make sense to stop working for votes and support after 2014. What would be the motivation for that?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 22:43

Do you think Labour took their electorate for granted in Scotland? What would be the point of them doing that?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Feb 23:12

SNP needed to increase the majority for independence. Labour didn`t have such an incentive.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 07:53

Support for Kate Forbes is draining away. Her honest response yesterday on how she would have voted on gay marriage had she been an MSP in 2014 have finished her.

Full marks for honesty and priciples though. If only she could have havered it away like one of the other candidates would have...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 09:05

Yep I can`t see anyway back for Forbes now. A Yousaf led snp is not going to be able to stem the Labour revival in Scotland and so a good number of snp mp`s will be losing their seat at the next General Election.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 09:21

The recent poll on Westminster seats which Joanna Cherry put up on twitter shows Leibour gaining 28 seats in Scotland.

Everything is turning stale for independence at the moment and there`s no obvious way out of it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 09:39

Well well…Kate of course wasn’t an MSP in 2014, but Humza certainly was. And it appears he was in the building that day but skipped the vote!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 10:01

No he was in Pakistan on the day of the vote I believe. He had voted for it previously though and voiced his support for the bill passing beforehand.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 10:49

No, both our sources are wrong, he was visiting the Pakistani Consulate in Glasgow…!

But, could he have voted remotely?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 10:58

Don`t know if you can in Holyrood but I don`t think you can in Westminster if that`s any sort of guide. Thinking about all the times they`ve wheeled in some ill and invalid mp so they can register their vote when it`s going to be close run thing.
I actually respect Forbes for not hiding away from her principles (not saying I agree with them) but that`s her race run now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 11:15

Kate fights back - “ I think the public are longing for politicians to answer straight questions with straight answers and that’s what I tried to do with the media yesterday”

Oh poor innocent you, an Angel fish swimming with barracuda..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 11:53

Pay attention to whom the MSM are championing and your guaranteed that candidate is the one with the weakest appetite for independence

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-hand-of-the-state/

Post Edited (Tue 21 Feb 12:01)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 12:21

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2023/02/humzas-lies-on-gay-marriage/

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 Feb 17:46

I`m not an SNP member so have no sway, but Ash Regan would be the best choice out of her, Forbes and Yousaf. Forbes` religion appears to be too easy a target for our odious media, and Yousaf has committed the sin of not being white.

Regan seems to talk a lot of sense, but then it`s easy to talk sense and make amazing promises when you`re not in the job!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Feb 09:30

Humza engineered his absence from gay marriage vote and is accused of lying by one of his own colleagues.
Oh b****r it, he is the one I really really want to win.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Feb 10:51

Doesn`t matter really who wins Parboiled you`ll be happy. The broadchurch approach and appeal of the snp will be blown out of the water by this leadership contest and its aftermath. I have a suspicion that Forbes and Ash may have wider electoral appeal than Yousaf (actually more than a suspicion as that wouldn`t be hard) but many of those voters won`t be inclined to back the snp anyway.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Feb 13:09

“ Flash the cash Ash” has faced numerous complaints of discrimination from staff over the years and has been dishing out NDA’’s and compensation like confetti.

Looks like someone who knows how to bring people together...not!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Feb 13:21

It`s good to see you`ve already come up with a derogatory nickname for one of the candidates. You seem to spend a lot of time researching politicians from a party you obviously have no time for.

There`s no need for one apostrophe, far less two, in a plural, by the way. NDAs is the correct form. I know you unionists are quite strong on educational standards.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Feb 15:14

Flash Ash going all UDI now?

btw, talking about education, It seems state schools aren’t good enough for this honking hypocrite!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Feb 15:25

It was always hard to reconcile Labour politicians sending their kids to private schools. I wouldn`t be surprised if this still happens though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Feb 17:14

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 24 Feb 15:14

Flash Ash going all UDI now?

btw, talking about education, It seems state schools aren’t good enough for this honking hypocrite!

Is this the candidate you fear most Mario ?
Looking like you`ve shown your cards early doors.
Ash getting two of my families vote .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Feb 22:03

I don’t care what this Mario or anyone else thinks.

The more votes for her the better. She’s nuts.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Feb 11:58

The more Tory voters cry over a particular candidate, the more I think that person must be pretty good
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Feb 13:52

Humza Yousaf was up the toon today and apparently he was brilliant, you`ll like him Mario as he didn`t appear to have a route to independence

Post Edited (Sat 25 Feb 13:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Feb 08:14

What has this NO voting area done to attract all this attention? We’ve just had Ash here as well as outlining her UDI route to nowhere.

She’ll hoover up the flag waving marchers vote with that!

Post Edited (Sun 26 Feb 08:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Feb 10:31

Quote:

Parboiled, Sun 26 Feb 08:14

What has this NO voting area done to attract all this attention? We’ve just had Ash here as well as outlining her UDI route to nowhere.

She’ll hoover up the flag waving marchers vote with that!

Mario, if its good enough for NI to have an Independence/unification vote every 7 years it`s good enough for Scotland . Alternatively there`s the options below.

If the English government aren`t prepared to consider Scottish independence then the Scots have to find a way..so its the Ash option or the continuity option which is basically have another Indy2 in 2050 , if the English allows it .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Feb 11:41

Surely someone in Westminster needs to clarify WHAT the route for ANY member of the union is supposed to take should they wish to leave the union?

Though I believe Holyrood are still waiting to hear why Westminster intervened in the GRA...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Feb 11:50

What an enjoyable morning. First Humza denying he’s a vote skipping liar, then his accuser now pops up saying he has other witnesses to back him up.

Followed by Fran and Anna tribute Regan and Slater. The former gibbering idiot saved when her studio link conks out. No such luck for the Canadian crackpot!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Feb 12:13

Jake, it seems that Holyrood is accountable to Westminster but there is no way Westminster is accountable to Holyrood. The SNP leadership election is just another diversion, like Ukraine, Brexit, COVID, cost of living, etc which lets Westminster avoid any difficult constitutional questions.

I fear there is a profound dependency culture amongst many Scots. It doesn`t matter how corrupt, undemocratic or incompetent government from Westminster is, some will always prefer it to the possibility of any risk in taking responsibility for running their own affairs. The lack of outrage at the ruling from the Supreme Court, which made clear the real relationship of the Union, was just the latest illustration of this after the acceptance of the negotiations for a `hard` Brexit which took no notice of majority opinion in Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Feb 12:15

TBF, the change in leadership in Scotland had little to do with Westminster.

So when can Scotland expect an answer to both questions? Why isn`t this being pushed for by MPs and MSPs?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Feb 21:03

Quote:

jake89, Sun 26 Feb 12:15

TBF, the change in leadership in Scotland had little to do with Westminster.

So when can Scotland expect an answer to both questions? Why isn`t this being pushed for by MPs and MSPs?

If you were representing the nuSNP in either of the parliaments and recieving in excess of 200k per annum would you be pushing for an answer?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Feb 23:29

I wouldn`t actually take that £200k home though. It`s less than half that figure, though that`s still a bloody good wage!

Why wouldn`t SNP politicians ask the questions?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 06:46

Quote:

jake89, Sun 26 Feb 23:29

I wouldn`t actually take that £200k home though. It`s less than half that figure, though that`s still a bloody good wage!

Why wouldn`t SNP politicians ask the questions?

It`s not just the wage, they also have travel and accommodation, along with office staff , usually party members, to claim for.

The tories are also trying to get a one off payment of £162k if they are not re-elected
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 08:41

You haven`t answered Jake`s question about why wouldn`t they vote, and what about the Alba MPs who were voted in under the SNP banner then switched to another party without recourse to the voters? How honourable is that? It makes a mockery of democracy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 09:15

Elsie resigns suddenly completely out of the blue.

Hubby Pedro has vanished

Heid honcho of Polis Alba suddenly retires early

Dougie Chapman, ex party treasurer, now being quizzed over you know what

Join the dots…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 09:20

Oh…and Muslim leaders favour honest and principled Kate instead of go which way the wind blows fibber Humza!

Post Edited (Mon 27 Feb 09:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 11:44

The Unionists must be walking about with an erection, easily spotted!🤔😲🤣🍾🙈
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 15:30

I can assure you my Union Jack has a long run up my pole 🇬🇧😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 17:45

Ignore whether you think Scotland should be independent or not. Stick that aside for a minute.

Scotland has a number of devolved matters that are handled by the Scottish Government in partnership with Scottish Ministers. That cannot be argued with. They set the legislation on these matters and nothing can be done at UK level without good reason, as you`d expect.

The GRA bill was passed in Scotland by Ministers from ALL parties, not just the SNP. It was then kicked out due to "concerns". Is it not disgraceful that we`re a month down the line and we haven`t heard what these reasons are?

Secondly, SNP ministers have asked what the legal route is to independence. The silence is deafening. In this case it`s Scotland, but what would be the mechanism for England, Wales or N.Ireland? Even if there`s to be a rule added that states a vote can only occur once every 25 years that would be better than the SNP claiming they have a defacto vote in favour!

As a self-confessed fence sitter, I find it appalling that the people of Scotland are being ignored and disrespected.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 17:47

Strange we`re supporting Ukraine in their efforts to be independent of Russia. 🤔
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 17:56

Quote:

jake89, Sun 26 Feb 11:41

Surely someone in Westminster needs to clarify WHAT the route for ANY member of the union is supposed to take should they wish to leave the union?

Though I believe Holyrood are still waiting to hear why Westminster intervened in the GRA...

Q1 s30

Q2 Westminster intervened because the bill was outwith the powers granted to the Scottish Parliament

The Scottish Parliament are foolishly challenging it. Because of that, the Scottish electorate has a major legal cost coming our way, unless you vote in the SNP leadership election for AR who is going to halt the foolish challenge .

Post Edited (Mon 27 Feb 17:57)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 18:18

So the unionist government at Westminster can stop any referendum regardless of the wishes of the Scottish electorate? Why can`t conditions be set that , if met, would oblige WM to grant a s30 order?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 18:40

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 27 Feb 18:18

So the unionist government at Westminster can stop any referendum regardless of the wishes of the Scottish electorate? Why can`t conditions be set that , if met, would oblige WM to grant a s30 order?

There is conditions but you won’t like them.

For example " Once in a Generation" ,

And the gold standard the NuSNP wanted the s30 or s35 (cannot remember which one it is)

Post Edited (Mon 27 Feb 18:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 19:23

`Once in a Generation` won`t be in any legislation. It was a throwaway line by your old pal Alex Salmond. Wasn`t he the one who negotiated s30 too? I`m a bit confused about your position on independence, Tenruh. I don`t see any consistency at all in your position.

With regard to the leadership contest, from what I`ve seen so far, Ash Regan doesn`t have the experience or gravitas to o be leader. She`d be easily knocked off her stride I think.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 19:43

Quote:

I suppose if there is no pathway towards independence allowed by the UK Government by democratic means, then the people may decide that militant action is the only other option available. Democracy never achieves much anyway
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 19:47

Quote:

Tenruh, Mon 27 Feb 17:56

Quote:

Q1 s30

Q2 Westminster intervened because the bill was outwith the powers granted to the Scottish Parliament

The Scottish Parliament are foolishly challenging it. Because of that, the Scottish electorate has a major legal cost coming our way, unless you vote in the SNP leadership election for AR who is going to halt the foolish challenge .

A section 30 is merely the process to request a vote. This has been requested more than once and Scotland has been told no. What then has to happen in order to be told yes? Similarly, how would the likes of England request a breakaway without having their own parliament?

The GRA wasn`t outwith the powers at all. There was a suggestion it would impact UK legislation but nothing has been evidenced as far as I`m aware. It appears it was just Westminster being petty and then a bunch of Tories and Labour MPs showing themselves up to be incredibly ignorant.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 19:50

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 27 Feb 19:43

Quote:

I suppose if there is no pathway towards independence allowed by the UK Government by democratic means, then the people may decide that militant action is the only other option available. Democracy never achieves much anyway

Militant action would just be stupid but I`m definitely concerned about how our country (the UK rather than Scotland) is being run. We`ve left Europe so can tear up the rule book and make new rules set by scum bags who ripped the country off. It won`t be until they really screw the poor in England that there`ll be an uprising.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 19:56

wee eck,
I was a supporter of the SNP from 1975 till 2020 unfortunately their efforts to jail fellow Independance supporters and the removal from the members the controls around the NEC had it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9lzot3DNeU4

Post Edited (Mon 27 Feb 20:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 20:20

You can support independence without supporting the SNP.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 21:23

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 27 Feb 20:20

You can support independence without supporting the SNP.

Yes
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 11:57

I think our Dougie Chapman favours manning the barricades.

Not him of course, just the expendable mugs

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 13:41

“militant action” Meaning what?
Re elasticate your gutty? Maris piper your spud gun?
C’mon, McChe - spell it out!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 15:35

Deputy First Minister John Swinney has announced he is leaving the Scottish government after almost 16 years.

The 58-year-old has been Nicola Sturgeon`s deputy since she became first minister in 2014.

Mr Swinney will stand down once a new first minister is appointed later this month.

In a letter to Ms Sturgeon, who announced her own departure last month, Mr Swinney said it had been an "honour to serve Scotland".

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Mar 14:37

So where are we with the leadership?

I thought Brown and Robertson might be kicking themselves (and Swinney indeed) – they could have been a shoo-in had they decided to stand – unless they are wanting to be next leader but one.

Party rules about not being allowed to criticise policy has resulted in a generation of politicians unable to distinguish themselves from the pack and so they will almost be doing their growing up in public and making up policy on the hoof. This might explain some of the bizarre discussions that are happening. The rules seem designed to favour one candidate over the others and now I think the party may have done another u-turn on allowing their hustings to be broadcast.

Forbes has made a remarkable comeback – do members respect her honesty or secretly agree with her social and fiscal conservatism? Yousaf has a reputation for incompetence, but appears to be the “continuity” candidate, and Regan appears to be the radical outsider, which may, to be charitable, explain some of her ideas.

The views of the membership at large will differ from the activists which will differ from the elected representatives – we saw this in the recent Conservative Party elections - and will differ from the electorate. no doubt the candidates will try to emphasise whatever aspect of their personality or policy platform seems to be popular among “their” voters.

MPs have been rather quiet over endorsing any candidate – I wonder why?

And will the new leader call an election?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Mar 15:15

I didn`t think the ruling party had the power to call an election in Scotland but I stand to be corrected.

Thanks for your objective analysis of the contest though. Do you think each candidate should reveal what they spend their money on? I seem to recall you saying Nicola Sturgeon should be asked to do so. The worrying thing is, I don`t think you were joking.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Mar 19:05

Just like in Westminster the ruling party can`t call an early election. I think a two third majority of the chamber is required in both parliaments. However what self respecting opposition is going to turn down the chance to turf out the ruling party?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Mar 22:02

Do you think each candidate should reveal what they spend their money on? I seem to recall you saying Nicola Sturgeon should be asked to do so. The worrying thing is, I don`t think you were joking.

True – and I’m not sure if I was joking either…

Also, I’m not sure about this clamour to know about politicians’ tax affairs. (I note Sunak was asked about publishing his tax return at PMQs last week). Are people looking for a “gotcha”moment ?

“Hmm, they’re getting paid £1,000 per month from the Russian Embassy for “sabotage and treachery”– I wonder what that can be about?”

Or are they looking for evidence of tax avoidance or evasion? Because if you are, then surely you need to know the savings and investments that a person has? Is someone investing in works of art? Or a blind trust? Or in an off-shore tax haven? Or do they keep their cash under their bed? It seems the media have been a bit half-hearted about this, and as I’ve said (and I’m not alone in this) questions remain. Sturgeon was rumoured to have a property portfolio, but there is no evidence of this (unless it’s lying empty). It’s all very odd, but she’ll be gone soon and as a private citizen then perhaps we have even less right to know about her affairs.

As for the leadership contest, the candidates seem to have continued in their allocated paths – Ash Regan as the radical “fundie”, Kate Forbes as the social and fiscal conservative happy to rubbish the government of which she was a part, and Humza Yousaf as the continuity candidate slowly hoovering up the endorsements. On this latter point, opinion is divided as to whether this is pre-planned to give the impression of momentum, the natural result of a well-run campaign, or the sign of the establishment panicking.

Yousaf seems heavy favourite now – perhaps the decline in membership has impacted the other candidates more, or maybe it’s all those endorsements having an effect.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Mar 22:26

You seem to be fascinated by every possible conspiracy theory going. Everything and every one has an ulterior motive.

If Nicola Sturgeon`s tax affairs warrant investigation I`m sure HMRC will have that in hand.

On the question of membership of political parties can we expect the other major parties in Scotland to disclose their membership numbers in the interest of transparency?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Mar 22:52

wee eck

Generally I would favour the incompetence explanation over conspiracy. It`s when things don`t appear to add up that I get suspicious. But it is not me that is casting aspersions over the SNP leadership election process.

Can you suggest why people are so exercised about tax returns?

And the obsession with party membership numbers reminds me of the obsession with football attendances. In any case, it was the SNP who made a big fuss about how many members they had, and appear to have misled about the numbers they actually did have. Why?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Mar 23:42

`Sturgeon was rumoured to have a property portfolio, but there is no evidence of this (unless it’s lying empty).`

Rumoured by whom? It`s the first I`ve heard of it but, like most of the voters in this country, I`m not obsessed with politics. I suspect to hear a `rumour` like that you have to go looking for it. Are you saying that, based on a rumour, her financial affairs should be made public? Maybe there`s no evidence of it because there`s no property portfolio and the rumour is just that.

It`s not for me to explain why people are exercised by politicians` tax returns. I think there`s a requirement for US Presidents to make theirs public but it doesn`t seem to be enforced too rigidly because I don`t think Trump volunteered his whilst he was in office. I thought all the party leaders in the UK had agreed to release theirs voluntarily.

The SNP membership numbers have become relevant because they define how many are eligible to vote in the leadership election. The reported figure is well down on the high number that was reported following the referendum but I haven`t seen any claims that numbers previously reported were wrong - but then I don`t go looking for that kind of information.

Maybe you should apply the same rigorous investigations to what goes on at Westminster.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 07:53

Eck has a diploma in Whitabootery, but Elsie is the master who deflects all criticism by dragging stats for Wales or England into her pathetic excuses for failure.
How may spads does she employ in the Scotgov Deflecton Dept.?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 08:39

Well, here`s a classic piece of `whitabootery` for you:-

Haven`t you noticed how Westminster politicians also make comparisons between the different governments in the UK when it suits their arguments? They rarely back them up with facts though. Your obsession with Nicola Sturgeon is rather worrying. I`m sure you`re going to miss her.

Post Edited (Fri 17 Mar 09:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 08:50

I think people, well myself at least, became somewhat interested in her tax returns, and that of her husband in my case, after he gave the snp a six figure loan. What clinched it for me though was when the first minister couldn`t recall when she first found out he gave them the loan but could definitely recall that it was definitely from his own funds.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 11:55

Sunak said that he would reveal his tax return at Christmas, now March and still waiting. 🤔

All MP`s should provide their tax returns to see who is giving them backhanders, after all they are our "servants"

Interesting point regarding Gullis who was seemingly a teacher before becoming an MP, he is now valued at £5 million, where does that come from?

Anyone seen Michelle Mone?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 14:24

wee eck

I am interested in politics. And other things. I follow social media. Does that make me obsessed? Does that mean I go looking for stuff? Or does it just appear on my time-lines? I don’t follow Wings or Craig Murray, but sometimes I see what they say. And I see what others say. And some of this is just rumour, and some is idle speculation and some is, frankly, zoomerish conspiracy theory.

Yesterday, for example, several people were pointing out the decline in the SNP membership numbers. I think it was John Ferguson of the Sunday Mail who ran the story a month ago. Murray Foote, formerly of the Daily Record (and architect of “the Vow”) who now works as the SNP’s spin doctor, rubbished the story at the time. I assume the SNP didn’t want people to know their numbers were in decline, but it turns out Ferguson was right and Foote out of order.

The NS thing is a puzzle. Basically, the equation is that she earns a lot, her husband earns a lot but they seem to live relatively modestly. If she doesn’t spend her money, then does she invest it? And if so, in what? That is the puzzle – it’s like a set of numbers which don’t add up to what they should – what is being missed?

(Another puzzle is for all her supposed mastery of detail, she seems to have a terrible memory when it comes to recalling anything that might be remotely damaging to her or the SNP. You would think if that were the case, she would ensure that minutes were taken, and retained, rather than be redacted, destroyed or never taken in the first place. However, we’ll soon have someone else to obsess about; and the questionable governance at the top of the party will be partly resolved).

As for compulsory publication of tax returns, I’m not sure we’d be much the wiser for the reasons I’ve pointed out.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 16:18

Would you prefer the First Minister to be a profligate spender who couldn`t fund her lifestyle, accepted holidays and accommodation financed by benefactors and sought guarantors for borrowings to cover any deficit in her income? Someone who used public funds to finance legal fees incurred as a result of breaking the ministerial code? People conveniently forget that Nicola Sturgeon was cleared by a parliamentary inquiry into the `Salmond Affair` and by an independent examiner of breaching the ministerial code.

If you don`t think tax returns are the answer to your so-called puzzle what information do you think should be made available? Would you be happy to provide the same information covering your own circumstances or is it just for people you are suspicious of?

Is there anyone at Westminster you are equally obsessed about? For someone who claims to be interested in politics you are strangely reticent on a lot of topics raised on this forum.

Is there nothing going on there that worries you?

Are you against devolution as well as independence or is it just the SNP you don`t trust?

If so, what convinces you WM would make a better job of running Scotland directly?

Do you think it`s acceptable that voters in Scotland will be denied a referendum on independence as long as a Unionist party is in power at Westminster?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 16:18

Who will we deflect failure off too if we become independent? If it ever happens there`d be as much relevance comparing our stats to Western Samoa as Wales!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 16:29

In most walks of life comparison with one`s peers is considered to be perfectly acceptable and a reasonable way of gauging performance. League tables in football are an obvious example. Why should it be any different for politics?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 18:50

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 17 Mar 16:18

Who will we deflect failure off too if we become independent? If it ever happens there`d be as much relevance comparing our stats to Western Samoa as Wales!

For me that is an appeal of independence, to actually have no one else to blame for any issues that befall Scotland.
And obviously on the other foot any successes can be claimed as our own without being diluted
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 07:18

On the other Foote SNP media chief Murray Foote resigns after describing membership figures he was given by party HQ as “drivel”. They have indeed lost 30,000 members over the last two years.
Sturgeon’s chief advisor resigns after being accused of breaching civil service code by meddling in the election - she was assisting Humza.
Murrel will be next.
The whole rotten edifice is imploding and it is lovely to watch

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 08:11

So the man who published `The Vow` in 2014 issued a statement about numbers that couldn`t be relied upon. Who would have thought it?

Post Edited (Sat 18 Mar 08:17)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 10:12

The figures were provided by SNP HQ..
You woke up yet?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 10:17

I think you need to read Wee Ecks post again. I see what he`s saying.
What amazes me is that the snp decided to hire, and no doubt pay handsomely, the man who wrote `the vow`. C`mon snp, have a bit of pride about yourself.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 10:18

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 18 Mar 08:11

So the man who published `The Vow` in 2014 issued a statement about numbers that couldn`t be relied upon. Who would have thought it?

The last person who an Independence leader would employ.
So the question is who did indeed employ him.

See Liz Lloyd has also left, Yes she who was the personal secretary to Sturgeon and the individual who allegedly alerted the Daily Record that the following day Alex Salmond would be taking out an interdict.

The three individuals who between them divided the independence movement

Post Edited (Sat 18 Mar 10:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 11:48

No, I don’t need to read it again.

I’ve heard of shoot the messenger..the responsibility for the drivel he was provided with lies with those who gave it to him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 12:07

So you are saying the vow was a load of drivel?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 12:08

The one responsible for the drivel has confessed and sacked himselfu

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 12:15

No I am not TOWK as you well know. I never read it anyway, and neither did the vast majority of the 2,000,000 who told Salmond to stuff it

Another lame excuse for losing, along with MI5 interference, a few words from the Queen, ballot rigging, and those pesky English folk who live up here.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 12:33

So you say it wasn`t drivel so how could that be used as an excuse? If it wasn`t drivel then it is surely something that has been delivered on? Nevermind it`s all ancient history now.
As a wavering supporter of independence my backing of the snp isn`t guaranteed and I don`t know why the likes of Wee Eck and other give them such an easy ride. Then I see the other side of coin with you Parboiled and it`s the exact same. Neither side willing to concede anything to the other.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 12:34

Tenruh, who was Salmond taking the interdict against?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 13:27

Murrell away

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 14:54

I forecast that at 0718..not being clever either. Fish rots from the heid down and this one absolutely honks

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 16:01

Ah, just to clarify.. In February the Sunday Mail reported 30,000 members had left over the previous two years. SNP head office said that was drivel, only 300 had left and been replaced by new members.

SNP Media manger Mr Foote duly relayed that info to the media.

When all the leadership candidates requested how many registered members would be entitled to vote the truth emerged. 30,000 had indeed left.

Mr Murell’s office, who described the Sunday Mail report as drivel, had in fact been drivelling a load of drivel themselves.

A furious Mr Foote, having been lied to by his employer , and having unknowingly misled the press etc. by passing on that drivel, resigned.

As for the Vow, I never read read it and cannot comment on whether it is a load of drivel or not. Is has eff all to with this issue anyway. Whatever, Mr Foote didn’t write it, or invent fake SNP membership figures so is entirely drivel free.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Mar 17:08

If the vow was actually delivered, then Scotland would largely be disinterested in independence as it promised Scotland far more say.

The problem people in Scotland have is that the SNP are the only feasible way of gaining independence. All other parties bar Alba and the Greens are dead against it. Alba are just the SNP rejects and the Greens will never have sufficient backing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Mar 06:15

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 18 Mar 12:34

Tenruh, who was Salmond taking the interdict against?

Salmond was taking the interdict out against the Scottish Government who were going to release details of the alleged sexual misconduct claims which proved to be just that.
When Sturgeons office found out that he was going to raise it the following day someone within Government leaked it to the Daily Record then the smear commenced.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Mar 06:19

Quote:

jake89, Sat 18 Mar 17:08

If the vow was actually delivered, then Scotland would largely be disinterested in independence as it promised Scotland far more say.

The problem people in Scotland have is that the SNP are the only feasible way of gaining independence. All other parties bar Alba and the Greens are dead against it. Alba are just the SNP rejects and the Greens will never have sufficient backing.

Got one bit wrong. Alba members rejected the SNP

https://robinmcalpine.org/but-why-would-anyone-be-suspicious-of-snp-hq/

Post Edited (Sun 19 Mar 09:54)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Mar 08:18

Salmond wanted the Scottish Government to hush up the sexual misconduct allegations against him?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Mar 09:09

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 19 Mar 08:18

Salmond wanted the Scottish Government to hush up the sexual misconduct allegations against him?

Don`t know why . What would you do in his circumstances?

What I do know is the Scottish Government paid a hefty price for their efforts to jail a man who was proven to be innocent.

Post Edited (Sun 19 Mar 09:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Mar 09:55

The court case was different from the accusations of sexual misconduct. That he acted inappropriately I think is beyond doubt and I`m glad the Scottish Government didn`t go along with some sort of cover up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Mar 09:57

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 19 Mar 09:55

The court case was different from the accusations of sexual misconduct. That he acted inappropriately I think is beyond doubt and I`m glad the Scottish Government didn`t go along with some sort of cover up.

What was there to cover up ? Ah see below

https://youtu.be/oeP8jdBzpgU

Post Edited (Mon 20 Mar 16:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Mar 13:21

Salmond’s bare bottom?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Mar 20:59

wee eck – sorry, I didn’t get round to answering your questions before.

First - well done for starting the thread – it saved me the bother – is this my sixth post on it?

Sorry, but I don’t feel the need constantly to bring Boris Johnston into every thread. I think it’s a little like offering an opinion on a Pars game and always having to make comparisons to Dom Thomas or whoever.

Of course, people often forget that NS was found guilty by a Holyrood committee of misleading parliament (and her ministers seemed to be able to mislead with impunity).

To solve my puzzle I would need evidence of assets held. I am unlikely to get this unless the Greens have their way and introduce a wealth tax, or unless the information is released voluntarily. Looks like this will never happen. Oh well.

Events at Holyrood have more relevance to my life, and NS was on my TV screen every day, so no, there is no-one at Westminster I am equally “obsessed” about.

I don’t find my reticence “strange”. I could not possibly comment on every thread, so I’m trying to exercise some choice.

I am for devolution and was campaigning for it when the SNP were against it. It’s far from perfect, but could be improved a lot IMO by electing better politicians with better policies, in particular those who want to make the settlement work.

One thing I have changed my mind on is the use of referendums. I’d be happy never to see another one in my lifetime (which was the suggestion). I don’t think it is realistic to have a succession of referendums until you fluke a win and then decide that’s it forever.

As for the leadership race (is it just me that is interested in this?) – Humza still appears to be the heavy favourite – it is suggested that the vast majority of Regan’s support will transfer to Forbes which would make it interesting, but I’m not sure I believe that.

And Murrell has quit, but not as part of a managed handover, nor over the missing £600k, but in a stooshie over membership numbers, which no-one outwith the SNP particularly cared about

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Mar 22:18

"I don’t think it is realistic to have a succession of referendums until you fluke a win and then decide that’s it forever."

Isn`t that what the unionist side have done though?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Mar 22:22

The committee that found her guilty of misleading Parliament had a majority of opposition MSPs who `leaked` their result before it was even official with Ross demanding a vote of no confidence. Even Westminster wouldn`t allow that. Of course the independent enquiry cleared her of breaching the ministerial code.

If I was a Unionist I wouldn`t want to mention Boris Johnson either.

Who would decide which referendum results were `fluked`? The same people who decide what information should be requested from whichever politician you have suspicions about no doubt.

I`ll be interested to see what the police have to say about the `missing` £600k. I can`t understand how the independent auditors didn`t notice it was missing.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Mar 11:15

TOWK please tell us when the Unionists held a succession of referendums, fluked a win, then decided that’s it forever?
Zero out of three…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Mar 13:34

Going back to the point - who will replace Sturgeon?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Mar 14:56

When was the third one Parboiled?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Mar 19:54

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Fri 24 Mar 20:59

wee eck – sorry, I didn’t get round to answering your questions before.

First - well done for starting the thread – it saved me the bother – is this my sixth post on it?

Sorry, but I don’t feel the need constantly to bring Boris Johnston into every thread. I think it’s a little like offering an opinion on a Pars game and always having to make comparisons to Dom Thomas or whoever.

Of course, people often forget that NS was found guilty by a Holyrood committee of misleading parliament (and her ministers seemed to be able to mislead with impunity).

To solve my puzzle I would need evidence of assets held. I am unlikely to get this unless the Greens have their way and introduce a wealth tax, or unless the information is released voluntarily. Looks like this will never happen. Oh well.

Events at Holyrood have more relevance to my life, and NS was on my TV screen every day, so no, there is no-one at Westminster I am equally “obsessed” about.

I don’t find my reticence “strange”. I could not possibly comment on every thread, so I’m trying to exercise some choice.

I am for devolution and was campaigning for it when the SNP were against it. It’s far from perfect, but could be improved a lot IMO by electing better politicians with better policies, in particular those who want to make the settlement work.

One thing I have changed my mind on is the use of referendums. I’d be happy never to see another one in my lifetime (which was the suggestion). I don’t think it is realistic to have a succession of referendums until you fluke a win and then decide that’s it forever.

As for the leadership race (is it just me that is interested in this?) – Humza still appears to be the heavy favourite – it is suggested that the vast majority of Regan’s support will transfer to Forbes which would make it interesting, but I’m not sure I believe that.

And Murrell has quit, but not as part of a managed handover, nor over the missing £600k, but in a stooshie over membership numbers, which no-one outwith the SNP particularly cared about

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-scotsman/20230316/281685439077092
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Mar 13:45

Elsie now taking driving lessons.

Cops are investigating purchase of luxury cars using ring fenced Indy funds

Purely coincidental?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 27 Mar 14:17

Yousaf wins

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Mar 14:32

30% never voted? Are they actual members or those who left and haven’t been recorded as ex yet?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Mar 18:56

I reckon there is a large percentage of members who aren`t even aware they are still members.
My prediction is Yousaf won`t be snp leader by the next Holyrood election. He will be jettisoned after, what I also predict, will be relatively dismal snp Westminster returns.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 27 Mar 19:08

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 27 Mar 18:56

I reckon there is a large percentage of members who aren`t even aware they are still members.
My prediction is Yousaf won`t be snp leader by the next Holyrood election. He will be jettisoned after, what I also predict, will be relatively dismal snp Westminster returns.

Be a bit stupid if they didn`t know they were still members considering everyone got an email about the contest.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Mar 19:14

Yep I got my email and I voted. Up until that point I wasn`t sure if I was still a member or not. I think I must have set my membership to autorenew back in 2014 but to be honest I`ve never checked to see if 12 quid still comes out every October.
Yeah I get emails from the snp all the time but I get emails from all sort of organisation that I have registered with at some point and they often get deleted without even opening them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 27 Mar 20:46

Unlikely, I know, but an intriguing thought nonetheless.

Humza Yousaf and Rishi Sunak, of Pakistani and Indian heritage respectively, negotiating the partition of The United Kingdom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Mar 21:22

I expect other parties will request an earlier election in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Tue 28 Mar 05:58

Quote:

jake89, Mon 27 Mar 21:22

Not going to happen as SNP want to use next election as defacto referendum.
If they bring forward Holyrood then EU and 16-18 year old voters are added to the mix.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Mar 08:28

“ Unlikely I know” ...It would stretch imagination to the limit, but maybe Netflix could maybe come up with one of those daft dystopian future type series?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Mar 08:29

Topic Originator: sadindiefreak
Date: Tue 28 Mar 05:58

Quote:

jake89, Mon 27 Mar 21:22

Not going to happen as SNP want to use next election as defacto referendum.
If they bring forward Holyrood then EU and 16-18 year old voters are added to the mix.

I think Humza has scuppered that SIF :-
While he has distanced himself from the idea of using the next election as a substitute referendum, he has promised to renew calls for the UK government to give Holyrood the power to hold a vote.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Mar 09:55

He also promised he wouldn’t attend the Coronation, but would go to an Indy march the same day. Now he’s doing both. Helicopter for Humza?

Post Edited (Tue 28 Mar 10:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Tue 28 Mar 15:44

You still here ya homophobic right wing racist ?

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Tue 28 Mar 16:07

Quote:

Parboiled, Tue 28 Mar 09:55

He also promised he wouldn’t attend the Coronation, but would go to an Indy march the same day. Now he’s doing both. Helicopter for Humza?

The first minister representing Scotland at a Coronation? How dare he.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Mar 17:10

Quote:

Parboiled, Tue 28 Mar 09:55

I wouldn`t attend if I were an MSP. I`d attend if I were FM though. Surely that`s an obvious choice?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 09:41

58 year old Male arrested in connection with SNP funds.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 10:09

It`s Murrell. Being interviewed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 10:16

I`m sure the sudden, unexpected resignation had nothing to do with this though. Sturgeon won`t be able to recall exactly when she found out her husband had been arrested but she will be able to recall that whatever it was about had nothing to do with her.

Edited for a typo

Post Edited (Wed 05 Apr 12:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 10:26

He could self ID as a wifie, then the pair of them can share a cell…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 10:32

Jings, Polis Alba have a tent outside their hoose! Is there a body under the lawn?

Edit - and four cop cars/vans outside SNP HQ in Edinburgh. Someone’s been embezzling the tea kitty?

Post Edited (Wed 05 Apr 10:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 12:38

From Aunty :-

The husband of former first minister Nicola Sturgeon has been arrested in connection with an investigation into Scottish National Party finances.

Peter Murrell, 58, is being questioned after being taken into police custody on Wednesday morning.

Police Scotland said officers were carrying out searches at a number of addresses as part of the investigation.

Mr Murrell resigned as the party`s chief executive last month, a post he had held since 1999.
He has been married to Ms Sturgeon since 2010.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 13:33

" Police Digging up the garden............To see if the Ferries are buried there ".

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 17:00

Do you really think that they need the money?🤔

Pity they hadn`t been so quick to catch Michelle Mone or any of the other Tory crooks!😡
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 17:17

Did Mone need the cash LA?
Anyway who knows how this is all going to pan out. Maybe hell be released without charge and they`ll both sail off into the retirement sunset though the police seem to be proceeding in a manner that suggests this is more than a fishing exercise. What I do think though is that Sturgeon had a pretty good idea that this day was coming and that was the reason behind her resignation. If that was the case then all that bluster about how she didn`t have the stamina for the political hustle anymore (mind the story about her friends funeral?) was just codswallop or worse still barefaced lies.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 18:39

Controversial opinion:

Sturgeon knew this would happen but it`s not the reason she quit. She quit because she could see her decisions were affecting the party. This investigation would just stoke the fire.

I suspect he`ll be found to be innocent but we all know that mud sticks.

What worries me is I generally dislike the SNP, but better the devil you know. Alba are just the SNP rejects, Labour are clueless, Lib Dems are led by an absolute bully and the Tories would just be unthinkable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 19:05

SNP are just the main/only vehicle to indy

If we ever did manage to achieve independence, then I wouldn`t be voting SNP in a Scottish general election

So while indy is bigger than any party - this is a set back as you said, the perception will stick and people will use this as evidence that we shouldn`t become a fully fledged country, because one person is being financially investigated
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 20:33

Released without charge
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 20:35

What no treasure chests under the front lawn?!? 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 20:59

Released without charge pending further investigations.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 21:16

Even if no charges are brought, the damage is done. The papers will have a field day with this, as they did with the Alex Salmond court case.

The British state are masters of the dark arts of smearing. I do fear the independence movement have been infiltrated by those wishing to tear it apart
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 22:18

Quote:

jake89, Wed 5 Apr 18:39

Controversial opinion:

Sturgeon knew this would happen but it`s not the reason she quit. She quit because she could see her decisions were affecting the party. This investigation would just stoke the fire.

I suspect he`ll be found to be innocent but we all know that mud sticks.

What worries me is I generally dislike the SNP, but better the devil you know. Alba are just the SNP rejects, Labour are clueless, Lib Dems are led by an absolute bully and the Tories would just be unthinkable.

Funny that,here`s me thinking it was the Alba members who rejected the nuSNP , how wrong I must be.

Post Edited (Wed 05 Apr 22:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 22:20

They were digging to try and find Scottish Tory manifesto!🤔😲🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 23:02

Tenruh, Alba is led by Salmond and Hanvey. If I were to post about them I`d probably get Brian in trouble so I won`t. They may have rejected the SNP, but they were both on their way out.

I`d love for Alba to have some inspiring policies and forward thinking candidates. Alas, they`re just the Wish version of the SNP.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 00:44

I`m sure any financial misunderstandings shall be ironed out and the case against Mr Sturgeon thrown out the window.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 06:30

Quote:

jake89, Wed 5 Apr 23:02

Tenruh, Alba is led by Salmond and Hanvey. If I were to post about them I`d probably get Brian in trouble so I won`t. They may have rejected the SNP, but they were both on their way out.

I`d love for Alba to have some inspiring policies and forward thinking candidates. Alas, they`re just the Wish version of the SNP.

Two questions,

How were they on their way out ?

What`s Brian got to do with it ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 06:33

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Wed 5 Apr 22:20

You certainly don`t like the tories...ever thought about campaigning for independence.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 09:28

Quote:

Tenruh, Thu 6 Apr 06:30

Quote:

jake89, Wed 5 Apr 23:02

Two questions,

How were they on their way out ?

What`s Brian got to do with it ?

Because making allegations can result in the site owner getting into bother. Safe to say both were being chucked due to suspensions. Let`s leave it there and you can Google the rest.

Alba are a pointless party. Their concept made sense but not when led by that pair.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 09:52

Quote:

Tenruh, Thu 6 Apr 06:33

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Wed 5 Apr 22:20

You certainly don`t like the tories...ever thought about campaigning for independence.

Hate them with a vengeance!

Funnily enough in my trade union days in the 70/80`s I was a member of the Labour Party and on Gordon Brown`s election team.

Can`t see the difference between Labour and Tories these days, Starmer is a disaster!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 11:01

Good old Gordon!

That amazing “stick it up yours Salmond, Swinney” eve of Indy speech! Winning was already a cert, but lovely to watch anyway!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 11:16

Getting back to the investigation of SNP finances, did anyone else think it odd that, considering the police have been investigating this since July 2021, it was only yesterday they decided to search the SNP`s offices and the home of Peter Murrell who was arrested at the same time then released without charge? Does that mean that, so far, they have insufficient evidence against him?

It`s hard to get any commentary about this in the media who only seem to be interested in the reputational and electoral damage to the SNP. As I`ve said before on here, if funds have gone missing why didn`t the auditors of the SNP`s accounts notice it?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 11:47

Bound to be a paper trail, must be in the garden beneath the daffodils!

Don`t know which police leader sanctioned this, some are saying Livingston, a guy who used to play with Hill of Beath Swifts in his younger days.

Suppose that`s what a knighthood does for you!🤔😲💰
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 11:52

Wasn`t he accused of being too pally with Sturgeon during the media conferences on COVID?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 12:52

The head of Polis Alba refused to police the border..saying there is no border as far as he was concerned.
I don’t recall seeing him on Elsie’s daily TV show btw, funny how she’s suddenly gone all media shy innit?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 12:57

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 6 Apr 11:16

Getting back to the investigation of SNP finances, did anyone else think it odd that, considering the police have been investigating this since July 2021, it was only yesterday they decided to search the SNP`s offices and the home of Peter Murrell who was arrested at the same time then released without charge? Does that mean that, so far, they have insufficient evidence against him?

It`s hard to get any commentary about this in the media who only seem to be interested in the reputational and electoral damage to the SNP. As I`ve said before on here, if funds have gone missing why didn`t the auditors of the SNP`s accounts notice it?

There`s an ongoing investigation so it`s probably wise to keep that in mind 😉 or you may at worst end up as Craig Murray did .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 13:09

Aye, I`m sure they`re scrutinising all football forums as we speak.

You can`t have been paying much attention if you didn`t see Ian Livingstone at some of the Covid briefings.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 13:14

Another 7 officers now shown up, that is now 20 officers at the house which now resembles Cromwell Street.

Something burned in the Barbeque then buried?

Hard Drives? Cash? Bodies?

Not a good look, just goes to show one day you are the c*ck of the walk, the next you are a feather duster.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 13:43

"Topic Originator: wee eck
Date: Thu 6 Apr 11:16

Getting back to the investigation of SNP finances, did anyone else think it odd that, considering the police have been investigating this since July 2021, it was only yesterday they decided to search the SNP`s offices and the home of Peter Murrell who was arrested at the same time then released without charge? Does that mean that, so far, they have insufficient evidence against him?"

Or could it mean that once his wife no longer held a position of power and influence a move against him became possible?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 13:49

Well, they must have miscalculated if they didn`t charge him with anything.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 13:54

He`s not been charged yet and maybe he won`t be ever but the police are still swarming all over his house.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 14:15

Maybe used the money to pay their power bill?🤔

Unlike Westmonster they cannot claim it back on expenses, for as many houses as they have/rent and stables!😡
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 15:13

Let`s not allow the SNP`s little local difficulty to distract us from the news of another Tory snout in the trough -

`The chair of the all-party parliamentary group on gambling-related harm has said Scott Benton’s offer to lobby ministers on behalf of a gambling company is “beyond belief”.

Labour MP Carolyn Harris told BBC Radio 4’s World at One programme:

How anybody could think that they should say that kind of thing and offer that kind of access to Government ministers is beyond belief. I am absolutely aghast that any member of Parliament felt that that was an okay thing to do.

Harris added:

Anyone who does not see that there’s a problem here and would offer that kind of access, well, I just cannot believe anybody would be that arrogant or stupid.`` `

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 16:23

Not sure if you`re peddling a bit of satire with that first paragraph there Wee Eck. I did note however that it was The Times that set up this Tory mp. That`s msm, British establishment, Rupert Murdoch`s, `The Times`. Aren`t I supposed to ignore such media outlets?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 16:31

Are there any decent politicians left?!

Also, when we`re told there`s limited police resource, why are there a dozen officers and a big tent up to check finances. Last I checked people did their accounting on spreadsheets or on paper. Has Sturgeon/Murrell got the M&S family biscuit pack out?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 16:33

I`m not sure I agree with set ups or stings .. but what it does prove is that money talks .. and that corruption is rife in our parliamentary system

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 16:34

You`re free to ignore whoever you like. He has admitted he did it. It doesn`t really matter how it came to light. Everybody knows certain MPs are prone to this sort of stuff and they`re fair game. The problem is it has become so commonplace now it doesn`t really register with the public any more.

Let`s face it, if Rupert Murdoch thinks Labour will win the next GE, he`ll be courting them rather than the Tories.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 16:56

The best political story in Scotland since they tried to jail Salmond and you`ve done well 👏 with your deflection Wee Eck well done indèd 👏

Post Edited (Thu 06 Apr 16:57)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 17:15

Looking pretty bad for the SNP, Humza Useless had just described the claims Police Scotland and the SNP are `in cahoots` over timing of Peter Murrell`s arrest a `conspiracy theory`, whenever politicians describe something as such sure as **** it turns out to be true.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 17:25

If the snp are in cahoots with Police Scotland then it`s not turned out very well for the snp has it with their former leaders home besieged by uniforms and the party hq raided.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 17:27

Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par
Date: Thu 6 Apr 13:14

"Another 7 officers now shown up, that is now 20 officers at the house which now resembles Cromwell Street.

Something burned in the Barbeque then buried?

Hard Drives? Cash? Bodies?

Not a good look, just goes to show one day you are the c*ck of the walk, the next you are a feather duster".

"not a good look" you think?" Maybe the biggest understatement ever. 20 officers over two days - how big is the house? I know we cant speculate but what kind of investigation needs that kind of level of police presence in one house for that length of time. And its police Scotland so cant be blaming westminster for this one.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 17:38

Quote:

And its police Scotland so cant be blaming westminster for this one.

Oh, I`m sure they`ll find a way.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 17:48

Quote:

Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks
Date: Thu 6 Apr 17:25

If the snp are in cahoots with Police Scotland then it`s not turned out very well for the snp has it with their former leaders home besieged by uniforms and the party hq raided.

It`s turned out excellently for them if they were able to delay the investigation until after the leadership contest, which is the claim.

I could not imagine Useless Humza churning out superlatives about Murrell while he was down the local cop shop getting his Miranda rights read to him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 18:07

So this action by the police has been good for the snp then? An interesting take for sure.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 18:11

Quote:

Date: Thu 6 Apr 18:07

So this action by the police has been good for the snp then? An interesting take for sure.

It`s a stupid take.

The claim is about the timing of the action, not the action itself.

It`s a fairly easy concept to grasp.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 18:18

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Thu 6 Apr 17:48

Quote:

It`s turned out excellently for them if they were able to delay the investigation until after the leadership contest, which is the claim.

I could not imagine Useless Humza churning out superlatives about Murrell while he was down the local cop shop getting his Miranda rights read to him.

https://youtube.com/shorts/DZtFESvd1N0?feature=share
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 18:23

Quote:

Topic Originator: Tenruh
Date: Thu 6 Apr 18:18

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Thu 6 Apr 17:48

Quote:

https://youtube.com/shorts/DZtFESvd1N0?feature=share

Why did you reply with that link?

That was him pontificating about Murrell after he resigned, not after he was arrested.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 18:38

In what way has this turned out excellently for the snp, your words not mine? That`s is the concept I am struggling to grasp. You refer to the current snp leader as Useless Humza so I`m guessing you don`t rate him as a leader (nor do I) so I don`t see how this has turned out excellently for the snp. I think what you meant to allude to was this had possibly turned out excellently for a certain cadre within the snp but I suggest not so much for the near fifty percent of the party who didn`t vote for Yousaf.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 18:53

It`s turned out excellently because of the following.

This was going to happen no matter what, the arrest, the big tents multitude of cops, it was going to happen, there was no stopping it.

There was a chance to delay this happening, not preventing it altogether just delaying it until the leadership contest was settled, the Murrells`s preferred candidate was installed and a continuation of sorts in Humza Useless.

It`s still very bad for the SNP, but relatively this is the best they could`ve hoped for, the alternative would have been the 3 candidates having to navigate praising Sturgeon while Murrell had been arrested while the whole Fred West tribute act going on outside Sturgeon`s gaff.

And when I say "SNP" I`m talking about the current cabal running it, not the members.

If Police Scotland did delay the investigation/arrest it was to the benefit of the SNP leadership and it`s continuity candidate.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 19:51

_129285644_canva-70.jpg

How Heavy handed was the MI5 search .. these are not the half wit P C Plods we see around here .. although I cannot remember the last time I saw a policeman or woman .. These were highly trained highly fit special force ..Then here we are .. no mass murder .. no terrorists .. no security breach .. no huge protests .. but just a statement from Westminster .. Alba your F*cked and we own you ..

Can anyone on here help me post the pic ? ..

Post Edited (Thu 06 Apr 19:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 20:13

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 20:22

The thing I`m finding most disgusting so far is that they drink Tetley.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 20:28

I find this hanging in their home slightly more disturbing than their brand of tea.

It`s title is "Naughty Nicola".

Post Edited (Thu 06 Apr 20:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 20:36

So we seem to have two competing theories here. In one camp we have the police being coerced and directed by the snp so that an incredibly electorally unpopular msp could become First Minister and in the other camp we have Police Scotland infiltrated by MI5 to subjugate us rebellious Scots.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 20:43

It`s obvious that Police Scotland have been coerced into investigating Nicola Sturgeon`s husband as a way of making people feel sorry for Humza Yousaf. It`s blatant...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 09:20

Quote:

jake89, Thu 6 Apr 20:43

It`s obvious that Police Scotland have been coerced into investigating Nicola Sturgeon`s husband as a way of making people feel sorry for Humza Yousaf. It`s blatant...

Not far off the mark, look at the recent resignations in Police Scotland and those high up and advisor`s within the nuSNP in the Scottish Parliament. Rats 🐀 deserting a sinking ship.

I suspect the events in Parliament the week before Xmas was a watershed moment and someone had to be reigned in.

The missing 600k was initially reported to the police in 2020 and witness statements were taken , but the authorities wouldn`t allow the Police to investigate further until January this year when they were given authority to interview suspects. join the dot`s.

Post Edited (Fri 07 Apr 09:42)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 09:45

`The authorities` - that`s a nice catch-all phrase which can be used to justify any conspiracy theory.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 10:02

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 7 Apr 09:45

`The authorities` - that`s a nice catch-all phrase which can be used to justify any conspiracy theory.

Wee Eck
We`ll find out soon enough if it`s a conspiracy or not.

Why did Iain Livingstone pull his retirement forward?

Why did N.S. suddenly resign as FM ?

nuSNP could have followed previous protocol and taken 4 months to select a replacement.

So why the short campaign to replace her?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 10:24

The election campaign to replace her was only around two weeks shorter than the replacement period after Salmond quit as first minister.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 10:35

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 7 Apr 10:24

The election campaign to replace her was only around two weeks shorter than the replacement period after Salmond quit as first minister.

Sturgeon got in unchallenged so a different scenario.
She never took over as FM until the November.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 10:41

When Livingstone retired he had actually worked longer than he should have under normal rules and the explanation given in the media was that it was no surprise he had decided to go, given the budget restraints on Police Scotland. This seemed to be accepted by opposition parties who made political capital out of it.

Nicola Sturgeon gave various reasons for her resignation all of which were credible.

I don`t know what the SNP`s rules are regarding the election of a leader but I don`t recall there being much fuss in the media when they announced they would be starting the process to replace NS immediately after she resigned.

To an observer like me this seems like a classic case of somebody with an axe to grind adopting whatever interpretation of events suits his agenda.

Donald Trump has a lot to answer for.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 10:44

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 7 Apr 10:24

Hi TOWK ,love your little ditty at the foot of your posts, had that song played by Radio Scotland (pirates) on my last day at Woodmill June 67, oh to be back there again!

Interesting political point, Sir Roger Gale was a dj on the said boat! (Wiki fact)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 10:49

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 7 Apr 10:41

When Livingstone retired he had actually worked longer than he should have under normal rules and the explanation given in the media was that it was no surprise he had decided to go, given the budget restraints on Police Scotland. This seemed to be accepted by opposition parties who made political capital out of it.

Nicola Sturgeon gave various reasons for her resignation all of which were credible.

I don`t know what the SNP`s rules are regarding the election of a leader but I don`t recall there being much fuss in the media when they announced they would be starting the process to replace NS immediately after she resigned.

To an observer like me this seems like a classic case of somebody with an axe to grind adopting whatever interpretation of events suits his agenda.

Donald Trump has a lot to answer for.

Time will tell if its as you suggest
all rosy in the garden

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-smell-of-it/#more-136604

Post Edited (Fri 07 Apr 11:15)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 11:34

When you take the urine and someone takes it seriously. Is this still dafc.net or 4chan? 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 12:15

Quote:

jake89, Fri 7 Apr 11:34

When you take the urine and someone takes it seriously. Is this still dafc.net or 4chan? 😂

You`re a naughty boy , it only takes one..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 12:35

The auditors of the SNP`s accounts have now resigned. I recall they gave an unqualified report on the 2021 accounts which included the funds raised for a referendum campaign and the loan from Peter Murrell.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 13:02

A bloke down my lodge recons the investigation has expanded beyond it`s initial purpose. Documents pertaining to groups financed by Gates and Zuckerberg are now the focus of the investigation.

Think he is on duty this weekend but I`ll try to get more info next week.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 13:05

Hahaha good one BP. It`s certainly close to getting to that stage with some of the theories kicking about.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 13:35

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 7 Apr 12:35

The auditors of the SNP`s accounts have now resigned. I recall they gave an unqualified report on the 2021 accounts which included the funds raised for a referendum campaign and the loan from Peter Murrell.

The 2019 account`s totalled £97,000 , that`s what triggered the Police 2020 investigations,
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 13:40

https://yoursforscotlandcom.wordpress.com/2023/04/07/the-snp-need-to-bury-unity-to-survive/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 14:20

Humza now gone full-on Kate Forbes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 14:29

A fine objective report no doubt by the Daily Mail.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 14:30

A fine objective report no doubt by the Daily Mail.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 14:41

Scotsman.

[IP address logged]

Herald.

[IP address logged]

Guardian.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 14:50

Aye, they`re all right behind Scottish independence right enough.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 15:39

Somehow they`ve been given the opportunity to put the "boot in" it`s not they`re fault, this mismanagement has been going on for many years and the MSM have left it to the bloggers to highlight the bad practices.

The MSM did get a sweetener of £3m from the Scottish Government, and now they`ve no option but run with it ...

"GIVE THEM ENOUGH ROPE" comes to mind..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 16:04

What sweetener is that, or is this another conspiracy theory? I can`t keep up with them all.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 16:10

Quote:

Topic Originator: wee eck
Date: Fri 7 Apr 14:50

Aye, they`re all right behind Scottish independence right enough.

So unless it was in The national "it didnie happen."

What other Paper is " right behind Scottish independence"?

"The Glasgow South-Side We Hate The English Gazette"?

"The Banff & Buchan Separatist Star"?

"The Bute House Bugle"?

What publication exactly would it take to make you consider Useless has thrown McKrankie overboard?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 16:28

Back to the playground name-calling, is it?

I`m not questioning the story, it`s the spin they put on it and the glee with which they report it. We`ve now got independence supporters defending the Unionist media!

You told us a wee while ago we lived in an `authoritarian` state.
That hasn`t aged well.

Post Edited (Fri 07 Apr 16:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 17:19

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 7 Apr 16:04

What sweetener is that, or is this another conspiracy theory? I can`t keep up with them all.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/foi-202100199714/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 17:39

Are you saying the £3m the SG paid the newspaper industry for advertising during the Covid pandemic, which served the dual purpose of providing the press with much-needed income and informing the public of key public health advice, was a `sweetener` to discourage them from publishing stories that were detrimental to the SNP?!!!

The SG supported all sorts of businesses during the pandemic, including the football industry. Did they have ulterior motives for all that financial assistance as well?

Post Edited (Fri 07 Apr 18:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 18:24

Many Thanks Bletchley .. These are top guns .. not polis alba

Post Edited (Fri 07 Apr 18:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 18:33

Useless hires expert in ‘allegations of financial crime’ for the SNP. Strange decision when he claimed the husband of TV`s own Nicola Sturgeon was "the sole focus" of the police investigation.

The decision to have such an individual on retainer hint that the investigation will go much deeper.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 18:33

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 7 Apr 17:39

Are you saying the £3m the SG paid the newspaper industry for advertising during the Covid pandemic, which served the dual purpose of providing the press with much-needed income and informing the public of key public health advice, was a `sweetener` to discourage them from publishing stories that were detrimental to the SNP?!!!

The SG supported all sorts of businesses during the pandemic, including the football industry. Did they have ulterior motives for all that financial assistance as well?

[/quote

Just confirming what you obviously didn`t believe happened. Was it a sweetener? What does it matter what I think. Easy to spend money that doesn`t belong to them , they`ve got previous allegedly.

Post Edited (Fri 07 Apr 18:36)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 19:02

So the Daily Mail/Express etc took this money knowing it was meant to keep them quiet and they accepted it without going public?

You`ve really swallowed the paranoia pill.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 19:12

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 7 Apr 19:02

So the Daily Mail/Express etc took this money knowing it was meant to keep them quiet and they accepted it without going public?

You`ve really swallowed the paranoia pill.

We`ll see in due course

Any chance you can reel in the smarmy comments because the narrative doesn`t suit your agenda.....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 19:30

What`s smarmy about it? It`s the interpretation of the narrative that is up for discussion. You yourself say `we`ll see` so where`s the certainty?

By the way, I think you said you were an ex-SNP member who contributed to the referendum fund. If I were you I`d be asking why the auditors apparently came across no irregularities in the years since the fund started.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 20:54

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 7 Apr 19:30

What`s smarmy about it? It`s the interpretation of the narrative that is up for discussion. You yourself say `we`ll see` so where`s the certainty?

By the way, I think you said you were an ex-SNP member who contributed to the referendum fund. If I were you I`d be asking why the auditors apparently came across no irregularities in the years since the fund started.

Funnily enough, I was always sure Tenruh was in favour of independence in the past, but couldn`t actually remember if that was the case, as his posts over the last few years have been very much against the independence movement. I assumed I was confusing him with someone else
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 22:03

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 7 Apr 20:54

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 7 Apr 19:30

Funnily enough, I was always sure Tenruh was in favour of independence in the past, but couldn`t actually remember if that was the case, as his posts over the last few years have been very much against the independence movement. I assumed I was confusing him with someone else

My post`s over the last few years haven`t been against the independence movement, more about the direction the nuSNP has been going in. Removing the powers that the membership enjoyed and trying to and actually jailing fellow independence supporters got me thinking if this is what can happen in a devolved Scotland today, what would the country be like with independence.
So yes I do want a free Scotland but not at any cost.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Apr 13:31

Looks like more paranoia methinks

https://thinkscotland.org/2022/11/theres-not-just-a-ferry-fiasco-the-gupta-scandal-is-even-bigger/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Apr 20:54

Just gave an entire waffling interview with her left hand in her pocket, this from an individual who always gesticulates when they talk.

Taking bets now on the reason for the soon to be announced separation.

1) Irreconcilable differences. 4-5

2) Drifted apart. 3-1

3) Loss of trust. 7-1

4) Moving to Bridge of Allan to take up French lessons. 20-1

(Other prices available on request)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 12:32

Cops have seized and carted off a luxury motorhome from outside Peter Murrell’s mother’s house in Dunfermline.
Apparently it’s been sitting there for two years and never moved ...until now!i

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 12:40

Seemingly police have seized an expensive motor home from the residence of Murrell`s 92 year old mother.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 19:24

Up by Queen Margaret`s Fauld.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 20:41

Hmm it`s not quite the impressive six figure motor home I was expecting. Of course that`s the sticker price, would be a lot less second hand.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 21:02

LOL towk .. its no where near that figure .. Thats more than the average price for a house in that area .. Imagine making yer auld 92 year old Mam live in that for 2 years !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: charlie1  
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 21:07

That motorhome is £110k new. Those bungalows are £250 - 300k!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 21:19

105k second hand.

Post Edited (Sun 09 Apr 21:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Apr 22:52

Quote:

charlie1, Sun 9 Apr 21:07

That motorhome is £110k new. Those bungalows are £250 - 300k!

I wouldn`t trust a 92 year old to drive a Nissan Micra let alone a campervan. I wonder why someone would spend £110k on something she`d never use?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Apr 00:11

I`m more worried about what Michelle Mone has spent our money on. New super yacht anyone

Post Edited (Mon 10 Apr 00:11)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Apr 00:33

See Buspass, those things come with a hefty price tag!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Apr 08:27

Date: Mon 10 Apr 00:33

See Buspass, those things come with a hefty price tag!

Ken towk I wis having a laugh !

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net