DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Four in a Row
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 13:00

That`s the latest YouGov poll putting Yes ahead.

There have been four polls done since the UK Supreme Court decision that the Scottish Government cannot unilaterally call an independence referendum.

All four have favoured Yes.

Did Westminster make an error of judgement by denying a second referendum or do folk think that this will fizzle out as Westminster seem to be hoping?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Four in a Row
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 22:02

Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 13 Dec 13:00

That`s the latest YouGov poll putting Yes ahead.

There have been four polls done since the UK Supreme Court decision that the Scottish Government cannot unilaterally call an independence referendum.

All four have favoured Yes.

Did Westminster make an error of judgement by denying a second referendum or do folk think that this will fizzle out as Westminster seem to be hoping?

Fizzle out, Nicola has forgotten her secret plan to liberate us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 23:24

I thought it was a masterstroke asking the Supreme Court to rule on the referendum question. I`m sure the SG knew fine they would lose but the ruling would bring it to the attention of the public that WM could veto any aspirations of the Scottish public to have another referendum on independence.

WM will just ignore any polls which show a majority in favour of independence but that strategy will become more and more difficult if the trend continues. At some point the unionists are going to have to explain the benefits of the union rather than concentrate on the pitfalls of independence. They seem remarkably complacent about the fact that support for the union has gradually shrunk since 2014. It`s as if they think the popularity of independence is a fad we`ll get over in due course.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 09:32

I think there`s also an argument to be made that the ruling had very little impact given that pre-pandemic support for independence was increasing, mostly due to Brexit imo. It is understandable that folk`s priorities would change in those circumstances and it seems perfectly logical that support would drop off during that time. However now that we are more or less clear of the pandemic folk are beginning to look to the future again, and often what they might see is that Westminster will continue to ignore Scotland`s wishes and the UK election results will continue to demonstrate those disagreements over fundamental political principles which will have to be addressed before things can go forward in any meaningful way. The Supreme Court decision may be a particularly egregious example (although far from the worst) of this, but it is one among many.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 12:49

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 13 Dec 23:24

I thought it was a masterstroke asking the Supreme Court to rule on the referendum question. I`m sure the SG knew fine they would lose but the ruling would bring it to the attention of the public that WM could veto any aspirations of the Scottish public to have another referendum on independence.

WM will just ignore any polls which show a majority in favour of independence but that strategy will become more and more difficult if the trend continues. At some point the unionists are going to have to explain the benefits of the union rather than concentrate on the pitfalls of independence. They seem remarkably complacent about the fact that support for the union has gradually shrunk since 2014. It`s as if they think the popularity of independence is a fad we`ll get over in due course.

I wonder if Joanna Cherry would have preferred using our Court of Session rather than the UK supreme Court for the Indy2 judgment?
Certainly worked for her when Bojo tried to proroge Westminster.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 15:44

And then it went wrong again and no one wanted to talk about the polls or 4 in a row anymore.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 16:31

It seems that you did.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 20:39

Quote:

halbe, Fri 20 Jan 15:44

And then it went wrong again and no one wanted to talk about the polls or 4 in a row anymore.

People asking for fundamental change is far more worthy of note than people backing the status quo.

"People still want things to stay the same" doesn`t really have the same impact, does it?

I think it also shows that the question is far from settled, with people changing their minds all over the place.

All that aside, a wee vote where we get to choose our fate without being brazenly lied to about pensions or Europe shouldn`t be too much to ask, don`t you think?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 23:14

Latest poll shows yes ahead.

These polls are largely nonsense though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 08:48

Which poll is that?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 09:13

I can`t remember who ran it. If you Google for poll results there`s a site that tracks all the independence polls. I think it`s currently a case that 6 out of the past 8 were in favour. It`s all so tight that you can`t really rely on the data.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 10:35

If my neighbour is anything to go by SNP is losing the female vote.

If someone who who was a party activist who festooned her car with Saltire and Yes stickers says she’ll never vote for them again because of the gender issue…oh dear.

Sturgeon is well and truly stuffed!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 11:01

Your neighbour sounds a muppet, Parboiled. Firstly for having all that SNP crap on her car (why?!) and secondly for changing her mind because of a bill she clearly hasn`t read.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 12:29

Latest poll SNP 43%

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 12:42

Oh btw Wotsit…what pensions lie are you referring to. The one that insists Scots in an Indy Scotland will continue get paid from a non existent UK pot?
There is no pot. State Pensions are funded from current taxation.
Did you no Ken that?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 12:46

How the UK government funds pensions is up to them but I thought entitlement was based on the pensioner`s history of NIC payments. That`s why imminent retirees are encouraged to check their contributions as they approach retirement age.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 14:08

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 21 Jan 12:29

Latest poll SNP 43%

54% Yes, the poll I saw?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 15:51

Post Edited (Sat 21 Jan 15:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 17:55

UK pensions are indeed funded from current taxation. Another piece of economic mastery from the UK Government instead of actually planning properly and investing...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 18:55

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 21 Jan 12:42

Oh btw Wotsit…what pensions lie are you referring to. The one that insists Scots in an Indy Scotland will continue get paid from a non existent UK pot?
Did you no Ken that?

The lie that Scots who had contributed to the UK pension system could lose their entitlement.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 21:40

[Post Deleted] - Reported as abusive
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 21:51

Thanks HJ for confirming that the pension is funded from current taxation.

Poor Wotsit can’t grasp the implications of an Indy Scotland opting out of that. Or will we send our share of tax to another country to continue to pay our pensions?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 22:16

You are ignoring the difference between entitlement and funding. Anyone who has paid their contributions is entitled to their pension from the UK govt. It`s up to them how they fund it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 22:41

because of a bill she clearly hasn`t read

So who has read the bill? Or GRA 2004? Or the Equalities Act 2010? I certainly haven’t.

UK pensions are indeed funded from current taxation.

State Pensions. Presumably there was no fund when they were first introduced in 1908. Don’t other countries use a PAYG system?

You are ignoring the difference between entitlement and funding. Anyone who has paid their contributions is entitled to their pension from the UK govt. It`s up to them how they fund it.

Isn’t it SNP policy that an independent Scotland would fund state pensions including previous entitlement accrued in the UK?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 22:48

Parbroiled - The UK pensions fund is indeed funded by the UK Government. They did not create a pensions fund, nor a sovereign wealth fund because they lack the ability to plan proactively.

The Scottish Government on the other hand recently established the Scottish National Investment Bank, which is a proactive move and will prove valuable over the next decades.

I thought you Tories were meant to be economically savvy? When senior members of the party continue to support economically sanctioning the country (i.e. Brexit) and then a leader crashes the market, it seems a push to call you lot even economically literate...

Post Edited (Sat 21 Jan 22:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 22:55

they lack the ability to plan proactively.

Who is "they" in this instance?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 23:08

Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert
Date: Sat 21 Jan 14:08

Quote:

Latest poll SNP 43%

54% Yes, the poll I saw?

Where did you see that 54% poll?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 23:52

Quote:

red-star-par, Sat 21 Jan 21:40

[Post Deleted] - Reported as abusive

Eh?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 00:54

McCaig - In this case, the Westminster Government collectively. Nitpick as you will.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 10:18

Quote:

halbe, Sat 21 Jan 23:08

Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert
Date: Sat 21 Jan 14:08

Quote:

Latest poll SNP 43%

54% Yes, the poll I saw?

Where did you see that 54% poll?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/national/23267150.majority-scots-favour-independence-poll-finds/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 14:11

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Sat 21 Jan 22:41

because of a bill she clearly hasn`t read

So who has read the bill? Or GRA 2004? Or the Equalities Act 2010? I certainly haven’t.

UK pensions are indeed funded from current taxation.

State Pensions. Presumably there was no fund when they were first introduced in 1908. Don’t other countries use a PAYG system?

Isn’t it SNP policy that an independent Scotland would fund state pensions including previous entitlement accrued in the UK?

I`d hope that anyone changing their vote preference on the basis of a piece of legislation would actually read that legislation!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 19:50

The only poll that matters is the one the U.K. gov are spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on by refusing to release the results, despite being ordered to by the courts. It was obviously horrendous reading for them, albeit it was in 2019. The s*** show that is WM governance continues to deliver its gifts to the independence cause. Nobody in their right mind could possibly believe that staying under their rule is the best option for Scotland.
Unless you are a religious bigot, a dyed in the wool Labour supporter who actually believes they will make a difference, a rabid right wing British Nationalist……or someone who is completely and utterly infected with the cringe..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 20:09

jake, I`m not convinced all the MSPs have read all the relevant legislation...

hj Are you seriously suggesting that no UK Government of any shade over the last 115 years has been able to plan proactively? Is this seeming failure unique to the British?

There are perfectly reasonable arguments against setting up a sovereign wealth fund or a pension fund for state benefits; they have been rehearsed on this forum regularly.

I would be disinclined to hold up the SG as an example of having financial acumen, nor the output of the SNIB which is chiefly famous for Eilidh MacTaggart resigning in mysterious circumstances and getting a six figure sum for doing so.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 20:24

I can tell that MPs in Westminster DEFINITELY haven`t read it! Absolutely disgraceful. What do they actually do all day?!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 21:12

MT - The British Government have an awful record for being reactionary rather than pro-active. Second World War, they failed to effectively deal with Germany to prevent militarisation. They failed to establish an oil fund with the biggest oil reserve in Western Europe, which will always be on the wrong side of history however you try to paint it. The Falklands war came about because of a failure to plan the islands` defences properly. The list goes on. Compare this to other Western European countries and their economic reforms and modernisation plans, then it truly is shameful for a country that likes to project itself as a so-called "World Leader".

While I know you like to be a contrarian rather than contributing a new point to the debate, can you actually tell me a field in which the UK is world-leading?

Can you actually make a positive case for the UK? What tax and economic reforms would you recommend take place in the short, medium and long term? How can the UK effectively plan for the effects of Brexit going forward? How can they restore pre-Brexit levels of Economic growth outside of the EU?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 21:54

Jings HJ you’ll be blaming Brits for the riseof Napoleon and Mussolini next..and why are the Germans so reluctant to send tanks to Ukraine? There was a time when they were sending tanks all over Europe!

Post Edited (Sun 22 Jan 21:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 22:32

Topic Originator: jake89
Date: Sun 22 Jan 20:24

I can tell that MPs in Westminster DEFINITELY haven`t read it! Absolutely disgraceful. What do they actually do all day?!

Plot and scheme to increase their own personal fortunes and that of their wealthy chums. Take back more and more control from the citizens of these islands, the very people they are elected into office to protect and serve. Lie lie lie and then lie some more, push the envelope as far as they possibly can. Be as dishonest as is humanly possible, avoid scrutiny, change laws they don’t like, ignore laŵs they haven’t changed yet, forget to pay taxes, shovel as much as they can into offshore accounts, happily sit back and watch billions being paid to shareholders whilst telling workers there is no cash left to give them a decent wage. Lift the cap on bankers bonuses . Preside over the the biggest fall in living standards in modern times whilst facilitating the ever expanding gap between rich and poor. Deliberately run down the NHS and impose austerity on the population ( again ) purely for political reasons. All of this done whilst laughing and sneering at us all.

It should come as no surprise that very few of them therefore have anytime to properly scrutinise bills or be on top of their briefs. They are just too f*****g busy…..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 22:42

That`s what`s so disgusting about politics - the blatant corruption.

I`d never suggest we shouldn`t have wealthy politicians as that would be daft. No-one should be discriminated against. However, all donations etc should be transparent. It seems to me like the current lot are complete crooks.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 23:02

They are indeed crooks Jake. If there was proper scrutiny many of them should be behind bars…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 01:20

Parbroiled - I do love these attempts at flippancy.

Is the Mussolini mention a reference to his being on the payroll of British intelligence during the First World War as a Journalist in Milan? Or a reference to the British diplomatic cables with Fascist Italy in 1935 during the Abyssinian Crisis? Please do regale us with your well-researched historical tales.

I do have to admit that I`ve never really read much on France or Napoleon, so I would love to hear more there as well!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 13:21

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 21 Jan 12:42

Did you no Ken that?

https://twitter.com/barbwired_/status/1616810432492146688?t=4PauLVyD8c6fFfaJSGbTbw&s=19
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 13:56

Cor just think HJ…if it hadn’t been for the Jook of Wellyton there would have been no ABBA …!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 15:45

I`m not sure if you`re being facetious Jake but why should there be any particular requirement to read proposed legislation from a different parliament? Other than Alister Jack, they have no locus.

Speaking of the latter (and this may be better stated on the other thread) I can`t see that a Judicial Review has any prospect of success. If Alister Jack has taken legal advice the GRR bill may, if implemented, have an adverse effect on the operation of the law as it applies to reserved matters, then it`s game over, surely, as he has reasonable grounds for invoking Section 35.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 16:30

Surely if said Westminster MPs are making their views known about the bill then they should have at least read it and not just formed their opinion on reports and bullet points in the press?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 16:42

It depends on what they are saying, but I broadly agree TOWK

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 17:05

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Tue 24 Jan 16:30

Surely if said Westminster MPs are making their views known about the bill then they should have at least read it and not just formed their opinion on reports and bullet points in the press?

Exactly this. How can MPs stand up and support/oppose Jack if they haven`t actually read and understood the bill?

My impression is many seemed to have gotten their information from the gutter press. It was all "what if a man dressed as a woman comes into the toilets?" and strong inference that trans women are predators.

I often think people like Nicola Sturgeon and Ruth Davidson (before her move to the Lord`s) are really solid speakers. I think the reality is that the rest of them are just so mediocre.

What is really frustrating is that the GRA is now acting as a smoke screen for issues affecting millions of people across the country.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 21:00

Topic Originator: Parboiled
Date: Sat 21 Jan 12:29

Latest poll SNP 43%

Poll today shows that almost 55% of voters would back independence supporting parties at the next GE if it is a de facto referendum.

Labour on 23% . Tories 12% SNP 52%.

Also support for independence will always rise during a campaign as it did in 2014……

Add in 16/17 years olds and EU citizens then support for Indy must be close to 60% now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 21:23

Add in prisoners and postal votes for actor luvvies who dinnae live here it must be 105%

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 21:58

We won’t need them……….your side might though….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 22:36

Quote:

Parboiled, Tue 24 Jan 21:23

Add in prisoners and postal votes for actor luvvies who dinnae live here it must be 105%

You don`t think prisoners should have a say?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 13:27

https://yoursforscotlandcom.wordpress.com/2023/01/26/any-fears-over-the-state-pension-are-unfounded/

Post Edited (Thu 26 Jan 13:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 14:20

That article confirms that the myth RUK would continue to pay current pensions in a Indy Scotland while we kept all our tax/NI is nonsense.

The article does state that NI collected up here exceeds pensions paid up here, but that is corrected by a comment pointing out that NI helps to fund many other benefits as well as the pension!

Thankfully this is all hypothetical anyway. The thought of this shower up here getting anywhere near my Pension is enough to make my grey hair fall out…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 14:37

So you think it`s in safe hands at Westminster?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 15:12

Quote:

Parboiled, Thu 26 Jan 14:20

That article confirms that the myth RUK would continue to pay current pensions in a Indy Scotland while we kept all our tax/NI is nonsense.

The article does state that NI collected up here exceeds pensions paid up here, but that is corrected by a comment pointing out that NI helps to fund many other benefits as well as the pension!

Thankfully this is all hypothetical anyway. The thought of this shower up here getting anywhere near my Pension is enough to make my grey hair fall out…

Well if you`re not happy you know what to do...BO
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 15:19

Why should I BO? You’re the the one living in a UK you hate!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 15:30

And you live `up here` and no doubt love it!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 17:19

We can have a whip round to help with your removal costs!🤔👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 19:21

I would certainly pay into that whip round, the man is a c vnt!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Jan 09:27

That’s the second time you creep. Spell it right if you’ve got the guts…
And no, it wasn’t me that got you deleted first time

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Jan 17:57

I guess that my main (though certainly not only) point about how unionists fear monger about pensions is that the rump of the UK could not both "keep" historical "Scottish" National Insurance contributions whilst also failing to pay out on said insurance premiums without it being interpreted as defaulting on a debt.

People`s existing state pension contributions would only be at risk in so much as they would remain open to the UK government`s obvious financial incompetence.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Jan 19:41

The National Insurance "fund" is used to pay the national debt!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 27 Jan 22:20

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 27 Jan 19:41

Of all the debt the UK has ever had less than 1.5% of it has ever been paid back.
They pretty much only pay the interest on the loans without paying anything back. Can still manage tax cuts for the most wealthy though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Jan 09:31

A long read, but explains the workings!

http://www.singernet.info/southwarktv/spag/spagNIFund.asp
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Jan 06:53

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 27 Jan 19:41

How come Norway doesn`t have a national debt Mario ?
Cannot be anything the Scottish Government does surely ? We only get what England gives us.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Feb 19:22

They pretty much only pay the interest on the loans without paying anything back.

This can`t be true - what do you think happens when a gilt matures?

According to the Debt Management Office the treasury has redeemed £979.4 bn in the last 20 years.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Feb 22:05

Can`t be true. Sunak said today the Tories had reduced debt...😏
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Feb 17:07

So latest UK poll puts Labour in power and the SNP as the opposition!

@election mapsuk...findoutnow.co.uk
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 9 Feb 17:48

A lot of not all of the borrowing(debt) trillions in this Governments tenure are bonds bought by the wealthy or Torys or wealthy Torys .. and then redeemed at the fixed rate at the end of the loan period to make them even wealthier .. so it actually suits them to be trillions in debt

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Feb 17:53

A lot of not all of the borrowing(debt) trillions in this Governments tenure are bonds bought by the wealthy or Torys or wealthy Torys .. and then redeemed at the fixed rate at the end of the loan period to make them even wealthier .. so it actually suits them to be trillions in debt

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 Feb 18:17

I think it is actually pension funds that are the biggest holders of UK government debt.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Feb 08:35

Everyone in a personal or occupational pension scheme is a Tory then?
Even Simon the Pieman?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 10 Feb 13:27

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 9 Feb 18:17

I think it is actually pension funds that are the biggest holders of UK government debt.

£745 billion (give or take) a few pennies owed to the BoE. Bring it back under control by HMG, write the debt off to ourselves and hey presto we`ve knocked about a third off our debt 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Feb 13:30

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 10 Feb 08:35

Everyone in a personal or occupational pension scheme is a Tory then?
Even Simon the Pieman?

Close but not quite. Everyone in a pension scheme is bailing out the country for the p!ss poor management by the Tories that caused the debt in the first place.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Feb 14:55

Pension schemes and Life Assurance companies are big purchasers and owners of government bonds because they are a cheap way of matching their liabilities.

They don`t yield very much in real terms - being seen as virtually "risk free".

There seem to be two conflicting attitudes to the national debt.

One is that it is way too much.

The other is that public spending should increase (presumably by borrowing more).

I`m not altogether sure that these attitudes are held by two entirely different sets of people.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Feb 15:09

I think there will often be an overlap as you can think the debt is far too high but one of the best long term strategies to reduce the debt is to increase public spending and drive more growth through borrowing as it will have a long term net positive benefit which is more successful than the austerity we`ve had which has left us worse off with a higher debt.

Post Edited (Fri 10 Feb 15:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 10:26

[URL/]www.holyrood.com/inside-politics/view,lord-ashcroft-poll-reveals-gulf-between-scottish-government-and-voters-on-independence-and-gender-reforms[URL]

Another poll showing support for independence dwindling and I`m not in the least surprised.

P.S Can someone tell me what I`m missing here to get the link to work? Done it loads of times but I`m not getting it right now.

Post Edited (Mon 13 Feb 10:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 11:59

A couple of things:
You have the "/" on the opening tag instead of the closing one & it should be before the letters.

I think URL should be url.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 12:03

www.holyrood.com/inside-politics/view,lord-ashcroft-poll-reveals-gulf-between-scottish-government-and-voters-on-independence-and-gender-reforms

Thanks for the reply but no it`s not working trying it that way either.

Post Edited (Mon 13 Feb 12:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 12:29

www.holyrood.com/inside-politics/view,lord-ashcroft-poll-reveals-gulf-between-scottish-government-and-voters-on-independence-and-gender-reforms

Tried but no workee

Post Edited (Mon 13 Feb 12:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 13:13

Edit: it was already working.

I tried the two links above and they didn't work. Replied to the original one with my suggested edits, it worked but then so did the two above. FIIK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

Post Edited (Mon 13 Feb 13:17)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 13:15

Aye, that`ll be a good one from Lord Ashcroft, former deputy chairman of the Conservative Party!

Did he just phone his pals?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 14:36

He`s done many polls over the years and many of them have shown leads for yes as well as predicting the snp landslide in the 2015 general election. Now though because they show support for independence declining they must be discredited.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 15:13

Did he not get a PPE contract?

They couldn`t lie straight in their beds!

I'm sure that the 2000 that were asked were a genuine cross section of the electorate?🤔😲🙈🤣

Post Edited (Mon 13 Feb 15:21)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Feb 15:48

Yeah I think a firm that he was involved with received a sizeable contract to provide ppe. He also wasn`t a prominent supporter of independence whose business then got a contract to build ferries......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 18:42

And on it rolls!

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23330608.new-poll-puts-snp-greens-command-23-seat-majority-holyrood/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Feb 21:30

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sat 18 Feb 18:42

And on it rolls!

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23330608.new-poll-puts-snp-greens-command-23-seat-majority-holyrood/

The nuSNP fan boy comic

Joanna Cherry says today's Westminster Poll predicts
Lab 30 (+29)
NuSNP 21 (-27)
Con 3 (-3)
LDM 5 (+1)

Hardly an indorsement for Independence
No wonder Sturgeon has done a runner

Post Edited (Sat 18 Feb 21:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 16:52

Not going very well, is it?🤔😉👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

://talkingupscotlandtwo.com/2023/03/20/yougov-poll-snp-lead-highest-since-january/

Post Edited (Mon 20 Mar 16:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Apr 15:39

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 20 Mar 16:52

Not going very well, is it?🤔😉👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

://talkingupscotlandtwo.com/2023/03/20/yougov-poll-snp-lead-highest-since-january/

Indeed

https://wingsoverscotland.com/whatever-else-may-change/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Apr 15:49

Tories telling people to vote Labour ain`t going to help, still they`ve been in cahoots at regional council level!🤔😲😡😡😡
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Apr 16:23

Still got the GE to look forward to before the Scottish Executive election.

It`s going to be interesting when the Scottish election comes around though with the yoons already shown they`re prepared to work together to keep the nuSNP out of local government .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Apr 18:04

No such thing as a Scottish Executive election.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 06:51

Quote:

jake89, Sun 2 Apr 18:04

No such thing as a Scottish Executive election.

Or nuSNP?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 07:19

Absolutely no idea what "nuSNP" is, Tenruh, but believe you meant Scottish Parliament. The Scottish Executive hasn`t existed since I was a student many moons ago. It was replaced by the Scottish Government.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 08:38

It’s an assembly with some devolved powers. Salmond changed the heading on Holyrood correspondence, signage on buildings, and gradually introduced it into everyday conversation. The pointless promotion of a second language, spoken by hardly anyone south of Outer Teuchterland has also been pursued.

Important matters such as defence, making war, foreign policy, overseas aid are reserved. This has however not deterred the waste of money on trips all over the place and opening pretendy wee embassies.

Also reserved is Antarctica, much to the relief of the native penguins and seals, and Outer Space though you would perhaps think otherwise when looking at some of the vacant eyed Zoomers sitting alongside and behind Scooter Humza.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 09:46

So we can add `Teuchterism` to xenophobia, homophobia, sexism, fatism as another of your prejudices. Do I detect a hint of Islamophobia as well?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 10:01

A language that if you look on any map of your country, you will see peppered all over it describing the landdcape

A language who`s words and structure you will likely use without even knowing

It was all parties (including your beloved unionists) that rightly voted to support and promote our language
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 10:16

Quote:

jake89, Mon 3 Apr 07:19

Absolutely no idea what "nuSNP" is, Tenruh, but believe you meant Scottish Parliament. The Scottish Executive hasn`t existed since I was a student many moons ago. It was replaced by the Scottish Government.

NuSNP is a term used to describe what was once the SNP, previous to 2020 the members decided who could and couldn`t serve on the National Executive Council but sneakily the officers removed the members powers and that`s when democracy within the party ended for me.

Post Edited (Mon 03 Apr 10:17)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 10:24

Much of English is derived from Latin, which is now a dead language. English is very much alive and kicking all round the world.

Names of hills, glens and lochs may be derived from Gaelic, but that language might as well be as deid as the dodo for 99% of us

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 13:50

In Parboiled`s Scotland there would be no foreigners, everyone would be heterosexual and beautifully-proportioned. All significant positions in society would be held by men and Scottish culture would be positively discouraged, particularly traditional music including the bagpipes. I`m not sure what would have happened when the Queen visited Balmoral as she evidently loved a pibroch in the morning.

We would all have flag-poles in the garden to display the Union Flag and at the end of transmission each day the BBC would play `God Save The King`.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 14:21

I actually love the sound oF bagpipes..fading away into the distance. I wouldn’t mind seeing the UK flag up the pole on govt buildings more than once a year and giving wifies the vote was definitely the thin edge of the wedge.

As for Gaelic this must be the only country on earth where every govt building, reams of govt paperwork, rail stations, emergency vehicle - cop cars, fire engines, ambulances and gawd knows what else is festooned in two languages; one of which is double Dutch with bells on to 98.8% of its citizens. Absolute nuts.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 14:55

Doesn`t it happen in Wales and Ireland? Why not ask the people who are in the minority what they think of it?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 16:42

This clip comes to mind. https://youtu.be/9KzmZ17uD1M
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 17:47

we should have been taught gaelic in primary school

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 18:24

Buspasspar wrote:

> we should have been taught gaelic in primary school
>
>

Why not Pictish? 😀

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 19:16

LOL !! ^^^^

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 20:11

Quote:

Parboiled, Mon 3 Apr 08:38

It’s an assembly with some devolved powers. Salmond changed the heading on Holyrood correspondence, signage on buildings, and gradually introduced it into everyday conversation. The pointless promotion of a second language, spoken by hardly anyone south of Outer Teuchterland has also been pursued.

Important matters such as defence, making war, foreign policy, overseas aid are reserved. This has however not deterred the waste of money on trips all over the place and opening pretendy wee embassies.

Also reserved is Antarctica, much to the relief of the native penguins and seals, and Outer Space though you would perhaps think otherwise when looking at some of the vacant eyed Zoomers sitting alongside and behind Scooter Humza.

The headings on Holyrood correspondence would hardly have changed given it was and is the Scottish Parliament. The Scottish Government is a different thing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 12:26

Busspasser, a lot of the kids in my school were English from the Naval married quarters. You could be playing footie with them one week and never see them again.
I doobt Gaelic would have been much use in Portsmouth or Devonport!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 16:50

Made me smile parboiled

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 19:31

56% in favour according to STV.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 May 14:52

https://twitter.com/SpaceCadetStu/status/1659170378319646722?t=vgqMp61jrY1VwMaXFxvj9g&s=19
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 May 14:56

October but what year was that ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 20:30

Despite a coordinated attack on independence by UKGov and the media aided and abetted by the SNP shooting themselves in the foot multiple time support for independence is at 53%…..looks like we have past peak British Nationalism…

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net