DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Rosebank gets green light
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 27 Sep 13:53

And Green Patrick Harvie turns purple..will Humza blockade access to developers using wet suited Lorna Slater as a shield?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosebank gets green light
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 27 Sep 18:04

That`s funny, I`m sure we were told in 2014 that the oil had run out.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Sep 08:31

Who said that?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Sep 10:16

Who said it? The same folk who understated the extent of oil reserves in the North Sea when they were first discovered because they boosted the case for independence.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Sep 11:41

I see the main financial beneficiary from the development of Rosebank will be a NORWEGIAN company. The UK government has even granted them tax incentives as an extra sweetener. What a shambles the UK is in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 28 Sep 16:00

Correct wee eck .. all part of the scaremongering .. oil would run out and you cant keep the pound

Many Scots to this day have never heard of the McCrone Report. A lot of people haven’t, and that’s by design. For those who aren’t aware, the report was composed by the Scotland Office’s chief economic adviser and given to the prime minister some 49 years ago. It revealed the astonishing wealth lying in Scotland’s seabed, and set out how profitable it could be. The document was hidden away with the aim of suppressing growing support for Scottish independence at that time, and it didn’t resurface until it was revealed by a freedom of information request in 2005.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 28 Sep 17:13

Was it not Sir Ian Wood that told us the oil was running out?

Amazing what a knighthood does!

Interesting that Rees Mogg was knighted yesterday for services to twattery!🤔🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, forgot Priti Patel as well, for services to cruelty!👹👹👹

Post Edited (Thu 28 Sep 17:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 06:26

Well, I`m sure that the all-wise, all-generous and economically savvy British Government shall not squander this second opportunity to create a Scottish sovereign wealth fund and invest in the development of Scotland`s rural communities, including Orkney and Shetland. Or is that wishful thinking on my part?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sat 7 Oct 19:05

Just a quick comment.

Often you have a choice between spending and saving. Do you buy a new pair of shoes now or put money away and buy them later? There could be good reasons for either course of action.

Similarly, as I’ve said before, you don’t put money into a rainy—day fund if it’s already raining, you buy an umbrella.

So it goes with the notion of a sovereign wealth fund. (And I’ll repeat, the oft-quoted example of Norway is in a materially different situation from the UK).

But I’m interested in what HJ is advocating. Is he suggesting the UK should bypass Holyrood and give the money directly to Orkney and Shetland? (Because if you give it to the SG won’t they squander it in Glasgow or Dundee)

And of course, there is already a Trust fund set up for the benefit of the people of Shetland with contributions from the oil companies.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Oct 23:04

MT - Let`s be clear about this: The failure of the British Government to invest even a small portion of the revenue from the North Sea is like a citizen refusing to invest any of their income in their pension. How sensible would you consider such a decision? Would you have made such a decision during your working days? I know (at the age of 31) I certainly would not!

If the UK was in such a bad economic state in the 1970s-2000s when Oil was in its prime that it meant that all the dividend revenue from the North Sea needed to be spent to balance the books, then is that not another damning insight into the manner in which the UK Government managed the economy? Moreover, is it not an indicator of an Imperialist mindset that they refused to recognise the significance of such an asset to Scotland, one of the UK`s constituent nations?

Redarding regionalisation (which is where I believe you`re going with this), I am hugely in favour. The Shetlanders and Orcadians should absolutely receive a chunk of the dividends of the North Sea industry. The SNP have being guilty of being Glasgow centric, but there are several instances of the Unionist coalitions in the councils simply playing silly buggers for the sake of it - that nobody can deny with any integrity.

The comment about the squandering money in Dundee and Glasgow seems to be an attempt at Whitabootery. In spite of their management failings, the SNP have been instrumental in the establishment of Scottish Development International and the Scottish National Investment Bank. While these organisations are in their infancy, their creation is still a damn sight more than the British Government or any Unionist party would ever have done for Scotland.

What you`re doing here is essentially acting as an apologist for decades of British Economic mismanagement, largely because of your affiliation to the Labour party.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Oct 06:21

The SNIB does what is told by the SNP govt.

Example: £9m “ loan” to Circularity Scotland of which not a penny will be repaid.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Oct 11:53

And what about the other holdings in the SNIB portfolio Parboiled? How have they fared? Who specifically directed investment in these companies?

Working in Fintech, I`d be very curious to hear about whether you believe every fund in a portfolio will perform well? And upon what basis would you make such an evaluation? We`ll see if we can get you a wee job at Baillie Gifford or ABDRN!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Oct 12:27

HJ I have some investments in Baillie Gifford funds. I would have better keeping the dosh under the bed in my colour coded undercrackers storage drawer..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Mon 9 Oct 15:04

Quote:

Parboiled, Mon 9 Oct 12:27

HJ I have some investments in Baillie Gifford funds. I would have better keeping the dosh under the bed in my colour coded undercrackers storage drawer..

Must say Parbo , you know how to deal with all the young upstarts....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Oct 00:54

As do I parboiled, which is why Id like to hear about your obviously extensive knowledge on the functioning of such funds and, in particular, the performance of the SNIB portfolio. Or are you gonna do the usual "dodge the point"?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 10 Oct 07:11

Shetland is an interesting one.

Arguably, it is their oil. However, they are part of the UK so the profits will be spread across the UK to build on economic growth in the more populous areas. Shetland already receives more money per head than elsewhere in the UK. Hang on, this is starting to sound a bit familiar...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Tue 10 Oct 18:42

jake89 wrote:

> Shetland is an interesting one.
>
> Arguably, it is their oil. However, they are part of the UK so
> the profits will be spread across the UK to build on economic
> growth in the more populous areas. Shetland already receives
> more money per head than elsewhere in the UK. Hang on, this is
> starting to sound a bit familiar...

To slightly misquote Wee Eck from another thread:

‘under the present arrangements, there is no democratic route to Shetland’s independence…’

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Oct 19:23

So are the Unionists saying there should be a democratic route for Shetland (and Orkney presumably) to leave Scotland and therefore the UK? That`s quite a breakthrough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 10 Oct 22:05

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 10 Oct 19:23

So are the Unionists saying there should be a democratic route for Shetland (and Orkney presumably) to leave Scotland and therefore the UK? That`s quite a breakthrough.

It`s comical really
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Oct 21:16

HJ

I’m not acting as an “apologist for decades of British Economic Mismanagement”. Nor am I saying they were a success. I’m pointing out that your initial premise is flawed. NS revenues were not hypothecated, so it is impossible to determine to what purpose they were put, but HMG did plenty of direct investing in those years.

Are you saying that UK Governments are uniquely incapable of managing the economy? (To the extent that this is possible or desired).

I’m not sure what relevance your reference to other councils has to this discussion, nor how it is possible to be “unionist” in this context. Are bins collected in a particularly “unionist” way. Is a nationalist treatment of potholes in some way superior?

Maybe my reference to Glasgow and Dundee was “whitabootery”; nevertheless there is a tension between your proposal of interference by Westminster and the current constitutional arrangement.

SNIB is not a great example at the moment whilst Eilidh MacTaggart’s sudden departure remains unexplained. But blaming the UK for not setting up something they couldn’t really do is a bit like blaming a player for not taking a chance when they weren’t playing.

As for my so-called affiliations to the Labour party – this allegation was nonsense when you first made it, it’s even more preposterous now. But thanks for giving me a giggle.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Oct 08:17

MT - So weeks pass and that`s the best response you have?

So if you`re not Labour, what are you then? Pretty sure you were called out on here a while back for being affiliated with one of the parties.

You always seem to find some way of excusing the UK for its mistakes, such as not creating an oil fund, failing to invest in infrastructure, indebting English students...the list goes on. If we compare the economies of Norway and the UK (or Scotland for that matter), which do you think is the more prosperous and economically secure country? We can also look at Sweden or Denmark as a country that has successfully manage its affairs, even without oil. Why is Scotland not on the same level as these two? Why can the UK not match the performance of these two countries and provide their citizens with the same provisions that are? Especially with all the strength and resources that we keep hearing about...

Based on their track record, I would say that the UK is either unwilling or incapable of managing the Scottish economy. Either way, its the same result for Scotland - stagnation.

Are you going to deny that there is a concerted attempt by certain councils to paint the Scottish Government as incompetent? It`s quite well documented that many Labour and Tory counsellors are teaming up to keep the SNP out and all costs.

If you`re up-to-date on the SNIB, why not talk about the performance of its portfolio. I asked Parboiled on the other thread to do so and he dodged the point as always, so why not give that a go?

I have honestly never seen you make your own positive case for the Union. Why not actually try that?

I`ll await your reply in 4-6 weeks...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Dec 21:40

Is that the six weeks up? You will appreciate that I felt obliged to respond to wee eck first.

By the way, I’m not your student, so I don’t actually have to do any homework that you set me.

However, turning to your points:

I don’t remember being accused of being Labour before on here, but If someone did make that accusation then they were wrong too. I do remember someone thinking I must be Murdo Fraser or someone, which was amusing, if not a little concerning.

Sorry to break it to you, but you don’t have a monopoly on wisdom. It should be possible to hold different opinions. For example, the UK did invest in infrastructure - roads and hospitals and the like. You won’t remember what the A9 was like before it was dualled.

Whether an economy should be managed by central government or not is a whole different question. However, it seems clear that the SG is quite anti-business (coalition with the Greens - they wanted to stop oil and they may be about to get their wish - high taxes, continued constitutional uncertainty and so on) and this can`t fail to have an effect. Furthermore. although it was not I who brought up local councils, it doesn’t seem a stretch to paint the SG as incompetent. (By the way, I assume you mean councillors).

I don’t claim to be up to date on the SNIB (although ironically it was suggested recently that I might like to apply for a job there - some of these algorithms are a bit dodgy) but I don’t think it’s been on the go that long, so wouldn’t you say it’s a bit early to give a reasonable assessment of their portfolio performance (although I think Circularity Scotland has been a bit of a duffer)?

However, I did enjoy the look on Al Denholm’s face when quizzed by Edward Mountain at Holyrood recently.

As for the case for the union - I’m sure I’ve given one more than once - the next time there’s a referendum I might do so again.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Dec 02:45

So weeks again, and we get more absolute bumph.

I`ve never claimed to have a monopoly on wisdom, however I have always been driven by gathering knowledge and experience. At 31 and having lived and worked in Scotland, England, Germany, Sweden and Australia, spending a lot of time in Japan and now being seconded to Hong Kong, I think I have a fair basis to say that I`ve gathered considerable experience that very few folk my age will have. More than many oldies in Scotland have as well.

Simply put, if you never live in another country nor work within another system, can you ever really be properly critical of your home nation`s system?

Funny that you mention the A9. Much of my Dad`s work encompasses investigating car accidents and so I`ve been with him to many an accident locus on different parts of the A9 which we often did on the way to Caley or Ross County away. So I actually do have a good idea of the road and I can ask my Dad to fill in the bits I don`t know. The majority of the work on it has actually been directed by the Scottish Government.

I do also remember the Pro-British parties, namely Labour and Lib-dem, using a Tory-created scheme called PFI to fund schools that were going to cost 30x as much over the course of their rental life-times as the initial construction. All of this simply because Westminster didn`t want to give Scotland the borrowing powers. What wonderful economic competency. I`m sure you`ll have an excuse for this though...

More generally though, if you genuinely think the UK is on the same level with its infrastructure development as the likes of Germany or France then you really need to do a bit more research or actually go and visit these places. I`d much rather see Scotland on the level of Denmark than stagnate as it currently is.

Frankly, what you often find with Unionists is that many of them have very little world experience outside of the UK and as a result are very close-minded.

Very telling though that you`re not up-to-date on the SNIB portfolio and don`t want to state a positive case for the Union. I`d guess the latter is because there really isn`t one.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Dec 02:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Dec 18:12

HJ

I’ve postponed my festive preparations so I can respond – I trust you appreciate this dedication.

I’m not sure where we’re going with the A9 chat (Thurso maybe?) but the road has been so-named for over 100 years (and in existence for a long time before that) so it seems a stretch to suggest that the SG has spent more money on it than others. But my point is that your argument appears to be inconsistent: on the one hand you berate HMG for spending and not saving, then you criticise them for not spending enough. You can’t have it both ways.

I’m afraid I don’t know anything about PFI. (Maybe you can give me a lesson?) But Scotland does have borrowing powers, some of which the SG has maxed out, and some of which it hasn’t used at all as far as I remember.

And perhaps you would also like to critique the SNIB’s investments? What is my reluctance to do so telling you?

Merry Christmas!

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net