DAFC.net
Home 16 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Tax Rises Incoming
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 10:37

Income tax, VAT, and National Insurance have, quite foolishly, been ruled out as a source of raising much needed revenue to help us adequately fund the public services we all rely on. Savings, Capital Gains, private pensions and on a local level council tax will all have to be targeted.
Of course in Scotland the government have made no such promises regarding income tax but with an election 20 months away the snp might not be willing to bump up the tax burden on those with the broadest shoulders but they have to surely have to let councils off the leash so they can raise council tax.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Tax Rises Incoming
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 12:58

I`d anticipate cutting everything "free" unless means tested. You could have a simple calculation that then means you`re automatically eligible. So if you receive universal credit you`re automatically eligible for free school meals, uniforms, bus passes etc. If you`re not, you don`t get it - simple.

I also really hope they get real about council tax. Why am I paying more than my neighbour in a marginally smaller house when his household makes far greater use of council services due to the number of people in it? I`m not suggesting there`s a perfect solution here but paying £300 a month regardless of if you use/need services feels a bit daft.

Rather than tax increases, I`d like to see non-core services paused or cut all together. Unfortunately, this won`t be popular as the first thing I would cut is new cycle paths without obvious demand or strategy. This is something that should be ok planning policy that cycle paths are part of any new development, but also finding towards a master plan for older parts of the town/city. Dunfermline is a perfect case of having cycle paths that take you onto busy roads as the infrastructure isn`t there. Result is that no-one bothers with them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 15:38

If only we could access all the money that is kept offshore, like what the EU planned to do?

The reason for Brexit!🤬
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 16:43

Please,

Paul Kagame
Emmanuel Jean-Michel Frédéric Macron
Michelle Mone
Mr. and Mrs. Stoute

Can we have our money back ?

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 28 Aug 17:23

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Wed 28 Aug 15:38

If only we could access all the money that is kept offshore, like what the EU planned to do?

The reason for Brexit!🤬

That was the only reason Brexit happened, to protect the super rich. There was absolutely no appetite for Brexit happening before the EU announced their intentions regarding offshore accounts. After that the establishments media went into overdrive, and soon double digit IQ Red Top readers were foaming at the mouth for a change that wasn`t needed and has made the majority of people poorer.

Now we have a situation where the likes of Farage, Robinson and the Tory party have whipped these imbeciles up into such a frenzy they are trying to set fire to hotels housing asylum seekers
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 08:23

From Aunty :-

A think tank has blamed "woeful budgeting" at the Home Office for repeated overspending on asylum support.

Over the last three years, the department`s initial estimated budgets for asylum, border, visa and passport operations amounted to £320m.

But the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said it had ended up spending £7.9bn over the period, £7.6bn more than forecast.

The IFS also warned the department had submitted figures it "knows to be insufficient" for this year.

Just 7.6 Billion

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 09:26

An eye watering sum. The hotel bill for accomodating asylum seekers last year was 3.2 billion pounds. That`s a lot of cycle paths Jake!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 11:53

Would be better spent on social care tbh.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 29 Aug 22:38

Of course, I hope you realise that sum of money isn`t what gets to them. That`ll be the amount that ends up being spent on food companies owned by Tory donors, hotels owned by Tory donors, it`s a whole big scam, they make the profits and blame the immigrants when people get angry
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 00:11

The middle class Fabian types will never forgive the working class for voting for their independence from the evil EU authoritarians.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 06:15

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Fri 30 Aug 00:11

The middle class Fabian types will never forgive the working class for voting for their independence from the evil EU authoritarians.

Until the system is changed, so that there`s a minimum intelligence level proved before giving the right to vote, I`m not sure there`s much that can be done.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 12:00

Excellent idea…that’ll rule the Saltire twirlers with their Saltire face paint and wee dugs with Saltire waistcoats oot!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 12:43

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 30 Aug 12:00

Excellent idea…that’ll rule the Saltire twirlers with their Saltire face paint and wee dugs with Saltire waistcoats oot!

And 90% of bluenoses

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 13:37

And parboiled.

The enemy travels by private jet, not by dinghy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Aug 14:06

The last two comments made me 🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 09:33

The blue Tories introduced austerity in 2010 blaming the outgoing red Tories fiscal incompetence.
Now the red Tories are introducing austerity MK III blaming the outgoing blue Tories fiscal incompetence.

Starmers mob were told that there was a £20 billion black hole in their budget pre election……denied of course…..and all of a sudden after they are elected ……poof……there is a £22 Billion black hole…

It does not matter which Tories are in government they are all completely useless, a bunch of self serving t***s that will award themselves pay rises every year whilst preaching to the rest of us to tighten our belts…

The media will blame the SNP for austerity….not sure if the Welsh gov will get blamed also or if the blame is only afforded to the SNP.

I am utterly astonished that the people of Scotland just meekly accept this. We must be one of the richest countries in the world energy/population yet our country is falling apart at the seams and it is only going to get worse.

What an opportunity we missed in 2014. 10 years later and the UK is an absolute mess.
I for one am not in the least bit surprised and in ten more years it will be even worse.
What future for our kids and grandkids ?

Thank you No voters….

Post Edited (Wed 04 Sep 09:35)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 12:05

The SNP or any party in power at Holyrood always have these issues. They HAVE to balance their budget so there`s no contingency for overspends. If they underspend the money gets sent back, which also daft. This approach makes little sense for long term planning. Imagine trying to budget your household with that approach? Might be able to afford Netflix one month then have to cancel the next. It`s a ridiculous way of running things.

Labour are rightly trying to balance things but what happened to the tales of taxing the rich and going after tax avoiders?

Hopefully this Labour lot are a warning to the people of Scotland for the 2026 election. The big concern for me is NONE of the parties in Scotland appear competent.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 12:15

It was suggested that the Scottish Government resign, thus causing an election.

Now that would be interesting!🤔😲🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 12:27

I think everyone needs to be a taxed a bit more to help fund the services we rely on. A little bit for those in the lower income tax bracket and increasing the take for those on the upper tax bands. Same goes for council tax. Band A and B see a small increase in their contributions and increasing the percentage as we go through the bands. Broadest shoulders and all that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 13:01

I think folk still seem to think it`s possible to improve public services without their income suffering. New governments always say it`s possible to do this by growing the economy, so people earn more net of tax, and cutting down on wasteful expenditure but it never seems to work, certainly in the short-term because you have to invest in the infrastructure to improve productivity. I`ve seen nothing to suggest the Labour government is any different from the Tory one in its economic approach.

I don`t think devolution is intended to make things better because Unionist governments at Westminster think if it is seen to work Scots might consider that full-scale independence could be the best option. The media in Scotland, which is largely controlled from outside our borders, is relentless in depicting Holyrood in a poor light.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 14:13

A poor light Eck?

Cast your eyes over the SNP ranks. For many of them the lights are on but nobody’s home.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 14:19

You could say that about any MPs or MSPs in the UK. As you`ve demonstrated countless times with your posts on here you think anything Scottish is inherently inferior. I`m not sure you`re that bright yourself.

ETA - Starmer addressed Sunak as `Prime Minister` at least four times at PMQs today!

Post Edited (Wed 04 Sep 14:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 15:39

Why woulda done want an election right now when there`s one in 18 months anyway?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Sep 11:40

Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks
Date: Wed 4 Sep 12:27

I think everyone needs to be a taxed a bit more to help fund the services we rely on. A little bit for those in the lower income tax bracket and increasing the take for those on the upper tax bands. Same goes for council tax. Band A and B see a small increase in their contributions and increasing the percentage as we go through the bands. Broadest shoulders and all that.

Scot gov have done this and were slaughtered by the media. How often did we hear ministers in WM bang on about Scotland being the “ highest taxed part of the U.K.” ? Most folk actually pay slightly less in Scotland but why let the truth get in the way of a Scot Gov story.

In answers to Jake89 post. My understanding is that Scot gov do not have to send any underspend back. They had a surplus a couple of years back and were slaughtered for not spending it. They carried it over to the next years budget.

Maybe you are thinking about the Jack McConnel days when there was a 1£Billion underspend and the then Labour Scot gov sent it back as they “ could not think of anything to spend it on “. I mean they did build six council houses so I suppose that might explain it !

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Sep 13:11

I read today about the 16 million budget black hole in the Fife Council budget this year. Apparently 1.9 million can be raised by a 1% increase in council tax. A minimum 5% increase should be implemented as soon as possible or even more for those living in the higher bands.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Sep 13:41

I`m even more annoyed about CT banding. I took ours to tribunal as it`s clearly wrong, along with a bunch of others in our village.

The chair came across at the end and said "That`s the most compelling and best presented case I`ve ever seen." And still ruled against us.

I dont know what`s gone on, other than it being related to the age of the houses. There are houses in the next village worth double ours, with much more land and are in band D. We`ve got houses in our village that are much smaller and "cheaper" but are in band G.

System is absolutely broken.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Sep 13:51

SG can underspend but isn`t supposed to overspend. It also doesn`t know how much money it will receive from central government as that is under the control of Westminster. As a result of a lower than expected "grant", it appears we`ll be back to council TV as the Netflix is getting cancelled.

My personal view on tax is that people should be happy to pay more to get good services. Unfortunately, we don`t receive them. My understanding is a big issue is paying interest on legacy debts. That means a tonne of your tax goes to paying the interest on the credit card. Every person in Fife has the equivalent of £3000 or council debt.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 16:22

A vote coming next about the winter fuel payment, let`s see what Labour MP`S have the balls?🤔
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 17:13

I reckon enough will placated by the fact that the triple lock is seeing the pension going up by an inflation busting percentage next year.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 17:38

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 7 Sep 17:13

I reckon enough will placated by the fact that the triple lock is seeing the pension going up by an inflation busting percentage next year.

Yeah, I`m not getting a pension, the triple lock needs absolutely binned.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 18:01

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 7 Sept 17:13

A whole £400 for a year, whoopy f*cking doo!🤔🤬
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 18:50

What do you think is a reasonable number LA?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 19:38

Quote:

ipswichpar, Sat 7 Sept 18:50

What do you think is a reasonable number LA?

Minimum wage for pensioners?

Lowest pension in the Western world and the highest age to qualify, been suggested that the age be increased.

Yet another reason for Brexit, UK being told to increase payments in line with other EU countries!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 21:45

Some pensioners do have it tough but some are like the woman with a Virginia ham under her arm, crying the blues because she has no bread.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 22:35

Shouldn`t matter if a pensioner is rich or poor. If they spent 40 years working they deserve it.

The joke in this country is we all keep putting money in but then are supposed to be grateful when we get some of it back. Years of cuts (before even the Tories) forced borrowing and now it`s costing a fortune to pay those debts back.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 00:35

Pension 100% needs means tested. Should Bojo and Gary Lineker get a pension? Get in the sea. Guarantee you could cut 20-30% off the budget removing the wealthy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 00:46

Isn`t means-testing quite expensive to administer? Anyway Lineker and Johnson, when eligible for the state pension, will be paying tax on it at the highest rate which mitigates the cost a bit. There was a suggestion that the Winter Fuel Allowance should be taxed to mitigate its cost rather than means-test it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 02:23

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 8 Sep 00:46

Isn`t means-testing quite expensive to administer? Anyway Lineker and Johnson, when eligible for the state pension, will be paying tax on it at the highest rate which mitigates the cost a bit. There was a suggestion that the Winter Fuel Allowance should be taxed to mitigate its cost rather than means-test it.

Tbh they should be forced to pay into the system? Sorry but anyone that has 1,000,000+ in investments should get nothing in return.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 11:29

The wealthy find other ways to save it, Sunak paying 21% tax on his income was a bit of an eye opener.

The DWP was supposed to be getting access to people`s bank accounts under the Tories, don`t know if Labour are still doing it?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 23:41

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 8 Sept 02:23

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 8 Sep 00:46

Tbh they should be forced to pay into the system? Sorry but anyone that has 1,000,000+ in investments should get nothing in return.

As mentioned, the costs of administering any means testing system far outweighs the savings.

It`s decades of financial mismanagement that`s got us here, and the current UK government show no signs of fixing that trend so far.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 09:05

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 8 Sep 00:35

Pension 100% needs means tested. Should Bojo and Gary Lineker get a pension? Get in the sea. Guarantee you could cut 20-30% off the budget removing the wealthy.

Means test the pension?

So some old boy who pays his National Insurance for 40 years whilst also saving a bit for his later years gets penalised, while all the feckless who paid little or nothing get a full pension?
Get in the sea yersel’.

A pension is an ENTITLEMENT, not a benefit.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 12:08

All benefits are entitlements. You are either entitled to it or you`re not. Your national insurance contributions weren`t going into a pot to specifically pay your pension. It`s the workers of the present that pay the taxes that pay for today`s pensions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 12:41

Pension is a benefit regardless of what people might think.

The solution for the working person is to have a separate pension pot. That`s how they benefit from having worked when they reach old age. Private pensions used to be seen as a far more optional thing but that`s no longer the case. If you want to keep all your money or not work then you get a basic pension. If you work and put money aside then you should get that basic pension plus too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 13:12

There`s a well established process that if you pay in, you`ll get back.

Putting too much assessment around the entire population is mental. And if someone earned enough for this to be at risk, why do you expect them to pay in.

Everyone should get a pension payment from the government. The issue is (a) how much do they pay in and (b) how much do they get out.

I think the pension reform was way too late, and too little which has put us in this position.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 14:50

Quote:

ipswichpar, Mon 9 Sep 13:12

There`s a well established process that if you pay in, you`ll get back.

Putting too much assessment around the entire population is mental. And if someone earned enough for this to be at risk, why do you expect them to pay in.

Everyone should get a pension payment from the government. The issue is (a) how much do they pay in and (b) how much do they get out.

I think the pension reform was way too late, and too little which has put us in this position.

Exactly.
What would happen if someone is putting away enough that they are guaranteed to be above the ‘test’ limit and they will get no pension ‘benefit’?
Would they be justified in refusing to contribute?

In Lux, one’s pension is determined by both the number of years of contributions AND the actual amount contributed.
There is a base pension, but higher contributors get a higher pension.

There is in addition, a weird (but logical) scenario, if you work and pay contributions for less than 10 years, you are not entitled to a pension, but can, on leaving the country (and signing that you waive any future pension rights) request a REFUND of all pension contributions paid!
(Pension is also pro-rated, working 40 years gets a full pension, working 30 years gets 75%, 20 years gets 50% etc)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 15:05

Topic Originator: jake89
Date: Fri 6 Sep 13:51

SG can underspend but isn`t supposed to overspend. It also doesn`t know how much money it will receive from central government as that is under the control of Westminster. As a result of a lower than expected "grant", it appears we`ll be back to council TV as the Netflix is getting cancelled.

My personal view on tax is that people should be happy to pay more to get good services. Unfortunately, we don`t receive them. My understanding is a big issue is paying interest on legacy debts. That means a tonne of your tax goes to paying the interest on the credit card. Every person in Fife has the equivalent of £3000 or council debt

Scot gov can’t overspend as it is legally obliged not to…apparently. Scot gov does have very limited borrowing powers….£400 million I think, not enough to scratch the surface.

Councils have massive debts because of mis management, waste and of course Labour saddling them/us with billions of pounds of debt due to their PFI contracts.

It is astonishing that people have voted Labour again after the damage they have caused and will cause in this next Parliament. Red Tory/ Blue Tory……get the same, cronyism, corruption, incompetence, fiscal mismanagement, lies,deflection

But at least we know that they have Scotland and the Scottish peoples best interests at heart…….lol

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 19:05

The interesting thing in Dunfermline will be that two of the four high schools will have their PFI lease coming up soon. What state are these schools in and what happens at the end when it`s passed to the council?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:09

Red Tories have just found an additional £ 5.5 Billion for Sizewell C ….and that’s just to conclude the FID. Add the Billions more for Hinkley point and that’s a large sum of money that Scottish tax payers will contribute to but receive no benefit from at all. Neither wonder we are skint…

Scotland is completely self sufficient with regards to energy production but due to WM incompetence we are paying through the nose for nuclear power stations we don’t need…..and for the privilege of sending vast quantities of electricity south to power English homes.

Edit. It’s not incompetence it’s robbery…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:34

Thinking about taking McGlashan back to the 1600s and stopping it going wrong?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 09:03

And how much for the new Thames crossing?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 21:29

Presumably there would be Barnett consequentials from spending on things like Nuclear reactors and bridges? And what should be done with any surplus electricity generated? There’s a limit to how much can be stored – isn’t it better to sell it to someone who may need it?

As for pensions, given the so-called demographic time-bomb, where the number of pensioners is increasing due to improved life expectancy and the number of workers able to pay taxes to provide State Pensions for those pensioners is reducing relatively, shouldn’t something be done, otherwise it becomes unaffordable?

And hasn’t the “lowest pension in Europe/the World/ the Universe” argument been debunked?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 23:10

https://www.almondfinancial.co.uk/pension-breakeven-index-how-does-the-uk-state-pension-compare-to-the-rest-of-europe/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 23:59

It`s hard to believe that Germany and Italy aren`t in the top 30 with regard to state pension provision.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Sep 10:46

Yeah Wee Eck not sure I believe that table. If true though kudos to LA for posting an article which disproves his assertion that UK pensions are the worst in Europe.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Sep 11:50

They`re nothing to be proud of.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Sep 12:01

Never said they were just they aren`t nowhere near the worst if that article is accurate.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Sep 12:08

I didn`t say you did!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Sep 16:41

So the 5 million levelling up money that Dunfermline was to get, may or may not happen, they must really hate Scotland!🤔

Post Edited (Fri 13 Sep 16:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Sep 17:15

It`ll be harder now that Gove isn`t there to lecture on the workings of the Barnett Formula!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net