DAFC.net
Home 23 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Should national service return?
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 07:33

I see the French are planning to reintroduce a form of national service for 16-year-olds. I think 16 is maybe too young, though in principle the proposal has some merit. I would imagine there will be much outrage and pouting of lips on French social media right now.

Right-wing governments the world over will no doubt be watching this closely. They will be thinking that here's the perfect way to sort out those impatient and entitled brats, give them a new meaning to the term "gap year", take those phones out of their hands and teach them some self-discipline rather than self-obsession.

LOL

:)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-28/french-president-reinstates-national-service-more-than-20-years/9918784

Post Edited (Thu 28 Jun 08:39)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Should national service return?
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 07:58

Whilst there's definitely some young people who need a boot up the backside I'd suggest there's just as many in ALL age ranges.

For example, last night I witnessed two grown men arguing on the A90. They slowed down and had their windows down shouting at each other forcing cars behind to slam their brakes on. Grown men!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 08:02

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 08:04

On reading the article, it's not quite national service as we knew it, Oz.

I wouldn't be in favour of the reintroduction of national service for all, but a case could be made for those young people who get into trouble with the law. The time they spent doing national service would correspond to the severity of their crime.

A more effective sanction than a prison sentence?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 08:09

People always suggest national service as a way of sorting out naughty boys. Do the army really want to have to babysit a bunch of numpties?

I'd quite like a month off to help out with charity work but I reckon my employer would be raging.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 08:16

Absolutely and unequivocally not.

To get into the armed forces you have to pass quite stringent criminal records and medical checks, if you're lucky you'll get through the process in 6 months, you're more likely looking at 8-12 months though. The Army/Royal Navy/Chair Force is not the babysitters for all those who have wronged the law, they have the prison/police force for that who can then enforce community service. Putting loads of offenders through the application and training would be a horrendous use of the defence budget.

Share a thought for those in the armed forces presently, why should they have to work with people who would literally rather be anywhere else? Bad enough as it is, this wouldn't help morale.

An outdated, antiqued idea that has been correctly placed in the bin and left there with the belt.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 10:55

It doesn't have to be a military based device though. It can have a civic or community aspect.
If I were younger I'd be against thus but now I'm too old to be called up I think it could be quite beneficial. It's funny how your views change as you get older isn't it.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Digs  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 11:02

Absolutely no chance. The idea that an entire generation are entitled, lazy and obnoxious and that they need 'sorting out' is preposterous and could be applied to several other generations from what I can see.

My kids are all well rounded, polite and do well in most things they do. I've done my job as a parent to ensure this is the case so having some politician telling me I need to send them off to boot camp because they are part of a perceived troubled generation is clearly nonsense, and I'll argue with anyone who says any different.

My kids will all succeed in whatever they choose to do in life and will contribute to society because that's how we've brought them up. Forcing kids to serve in the forces against their will seems to be advocated by people of a certain generation when the world was a very different place.

The world has changed whether these people like it or not. Yesterday's solutions won't solve todays or tomorrows problems. That solution was an answer to a very different question to the one being posed today as to why it should be applied.

Stair Maistreas na Beatha
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 11:47

We've had this discussion before.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell of National Service being reintroduced in the UK, not least for practical reasons.

Conscripts need to housed, fed, clothed & equipped, transported, trained and cared for medically.

The miltary does not have the resources - it's that simple.

Where is the barrack accommodation, ranges, exercise areas, uniform, kit, vehicles, and weaponry etc. to come from ?

Then there's the attitude of serving personnel - they do not want the burden of non voluntary trainees.

That's before raising the key question after thay have passed out of basic training - what is the military to do with them ?

NS, aka Universal Conscription was introduced in 1916 for obvious reasons and was reintroduced in 1938 for the same. It carried on until 1962 (?) because the military needed manpower to maintain far flung outposts of the then shrinking Empire.

Post Edited (Thu 28 Jun 11:54)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 11:58

Maybe we should call up the generation that destroyed the environment, sent property prices sky high, killed industry in the country and ensured massive university debts for young people. 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 12:43

Also in the age of equality, do the call ups in France also include women?
I haven’t read the details other than the headlines.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 14:01

I think I read that women are included.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 28 Jun 14:19

Quote:

Grant, Thu 28 Jun 08:16

Absolutely and unequivocally not.

To get into the armed forces you have to pass quite stringent criminal records and medical checks, if you're lucky you'll get through the process in 6 months, you're more likely looking at 8-12 months though. The Army/Royal Navy/Chair Force is not the babysitters for all those who have wronged the law, they have the prison/police force for that who can then enforce community service. Putting loads of offenders through the application and training would be a horrendous use of the defence budget.

Share a thought for those in the armed forces presently, why should they have to work with people who would literally rather be anywhere else? Bad enough as it is, this wouldn't help morale.

An outdated, antiqued idea that has been correctly placed in the bin and left there with the belt.

Good post, Grant. I certainly didn't mean to advocate that the armed forces should replace prisons. I was more thinking about minor offenders and community service, but as you rightly point out we have those options available just now.

I take it all back......😔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 02:34

The article I read indicated that the military was probably not the option for the proposed 'national service' in France, primarily as the French military did not have the resources and focus to manage this. It was indicated that the service would be more socially based with work in the community etc., although the military was to be an option for those that wanted to do that.

On that basis, I cannot see a problem with this type of service, but think it should be a mandatory component of schooling in Years 10 - 12 as a 'subject' to be assessed as part of the students overall ranking / score.
I am aware that some religious-based schools do this type of program, but making it across the whole schooling system could create wide-ranging benefits.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 04:57

Totally agree, GG741. People have misconstrued this to mean purely military service, which it clearly is not. I too think it would be highly beneficial for many youngsters searching for a direction in their lives.

I would acknowledge that positive parental influence is hugely important, but the reality is that is not always there.

If kids are introduced to the concept of giving to their community, it often sticks with them through life. Everyone benefits.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 06:37

It'll save a fortune for some people.
They won't need to fly to Syria or Pakistan to learn how to murder. Their government will teach them for free!
Sounds like a win-win for me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 08:23

Well if this fake war with Russia turns real. We're gonna need all the cannon fodder we can get

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 09:17

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 09:33

Here’s one who went through the wars!

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituaries/obituary-harold-davis-rangers-legend-1-4761259

Also on this subject (sort of) a few years ago President Hollande very generously ordered that all surviving British servicemen who took part in helping to liberate France would be awarded the Legion of Honour and many have now received it.
Anyone with an old soldier in the family take note, before its too late.

Post Edited (Fri 29 Jun 11:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 13:15

Would completely oppose this sort of thing, an archaic practice that has no logic in a post industrial era. Young people should be allowed to enjoy their youth, not have some outdated and unnecessary practice forced on them by baby boomers and their ilk trying to push their agendas on everyone.

If 16yr olds are having to do community service etc, get the pensioners, unemployed adults etc that are able bodied and doing hee haw in on the act too, sure they'd love that as much as the teenagers.

;)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 17:46

Worth pointing out the last people to do national service must be well into their 70s now. What's being suggested is anyone younger must therefore be a subordinate swine.

Society has changed a lot since the 60s. I don't think teens these days are any worse than we were in our day. They're just dicks in a different way 😉

Don't even start me on the grown men driving around in noisy crap cars.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 22:25

I would back national service for grown men driving around in noisy crap cars...

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Jun 22:31

OzPar wrote:

> I would back national service for grown men driving around in
> noisy crap cars...
>
> :)

It's because they never had national service. Bloody 40 year olds these days. ;-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Sat 30 Jun 13:45

Anyone a wearing a baseball cap back to front, waddling along knees akimbo and yelling in his phone while waving free hand about, should be lifted and interned in boot camp.
The Navy used to press gang folk like before phones were invented.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 30 Jun 14:17

Yes... Won't do them any harm to learn a bit of discipline at the very least and could actually improve their chances of employment when their service is over.
Or something.... I don't know.... It's too hot 🔥

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sat 30 Jun 16:31

We should definitely be supplying rich old men with young boys to do their murdering and thieving.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net