DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 D'ye ever feel like
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 11:51

... Lyin' doon an' disengagin' fae the world for a wee while, listenin' tae the sparraes chirrupin', lookin' at the clouds and let it a' go by ower yer heid...

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: D'ye ever feel like
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 12:03

I prefer to climb up a hill (no a mountain mind)... Or get lost in a forest.
I love a bit o solitude I do.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 12:22

Quote:

onandupthepars, Wed 19 Sep 11:51

... Lyin' doon an' disengagin' fae the world for a wee while, listenin' tae the sparraes chirrupin', lookin' at the clouds and let it a' go by ower yer heid...

Parrots preferably.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 12:24

FEAR

Forget Everything and Run

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 12:46

Quote:

onandupthepars, Wed 19 Sep 11:51

Interesting post my friend.

I'd regard this as actually engaging with the world, but it's all to easy to lose sight of what's important and we all get caught up in day to day nonsense. Work is getting me down a bit just now so I'm looking to get some stuff sorted today and take a couple of days off.

Went out for a 90 minute walk around the countryside today before I started work. No better way to start the day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 13:28

Yes!

It's blowin'a gale here and I've got tae get milk and bread. Do I take the car? No! Walk - see the show - nature in the raw. Tree canopies being blown about tae a rare degree - twigs and leaves flyin' an' lyin' aboot. Might see a squirrel - usually do, then I can pause for a bit and wonder what it's like to be totally immersed in the natural world, without TV, town or car. As our ancestors were.

Get ma heid pummeled. Really ye just can't be botherin' aboot anythin. when yer oot in a high wind.

Hope yer gettin' sorted oot an' feelin' better Ipswich.
What aboot a phoitie, Wid?
Parrot - ye reminded me o' a lovely occasion I spent wi' ma wife at an animal park and havin' a real good chat wi' an African grey.
Thanks for the joke Pompey.

Now I'm off on a great adventure - shoppin'!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 13:39

When I get a bit down, I usually find peace by looking at water - the ocean, a river, a pond or a lake - it doesn't matter. A long walk in the countryside is a perfect antidote too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 16:30

Fire gazing.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 17:09

^^^^^
You just like looking in yer mirror and pecking at a bell 😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 19:48

Keep ma pecker oot o this a tell ye!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Sep 20:46

I'm glad tae see ye's have a' been playin' nicely together while a've been oot.

What a wind - as soon as I got tae the end o' the street I had tae bend intae it like a wis tryin' tae tackle Jonah Lomu!

I suppose in the OP I meant disengagin' fae the civilised world because actually it's by engagin' wi' somethin' else I feel refreshed.

I found that just walkin' and lookin' ahead or at the panoramas wasn't doin' it for me. But I read about Roger Deakin and Robert MacFarlane in the Burren, (naw no in the burn!) they were lyin' face doon lookin' intae a gryke - a big crack in the limestone rocks filled wi' wild plants - and Deakin said what they were lookin' at was "as beautiful and complex, perhaps more so than any glen or bay or peak. Miniature yes but fabulously wild." (1)

A Burren gryke

That changed my way of seeing. When out walking I started to look for wildness in small places - looking at the things close to me, noticing the details more. Now I still appreciate a good panorama but it's the details really that do more for me, and through them I quickly become absorbed in where I am and with the wild things around me.

That's how I get my natural high.

(1) Robert MacFarlane, The Wild Places, 2007, p. 168.

Post Edited (Wed 19 Sep 21:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Thu 20 Sep 09:34

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Sep 11:21

A bet ye did, wi some lovely wild things around ye 😃
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Thu 20 Sep 18:29

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Fri 21 Sep 01:17

I find it absolutely blissful to sit on the beach, late in the day, on a Sunday.
Invariably there will be no-one else in sight.
Doesn't matter what the weather is (unless it is bucketing down).

The sea, the wind, quite a lot of bird life, maybe a pod of dolphins.

And with my head in order, then back home.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Fri 21 Sep 02:06

Moray coast GG741 ?
My favourite chillout is there
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Sep 11:19

Just readin' these is like a soothing balm.

b-a-L-m!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Sep 16:17

i tend not to take ma camera if I'm going for some quiet time ... but I do have a
few pics I've taken that I think would come under the heading of "peacefull" .
enjoy

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Sep 16:20

p.s ... I think I took that somewhere on the road to inverness a few years back.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Sep 16:22

Taken from Newhaven harbour nearing sunset facing north west

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 21 Sep 17:28

I do miss hills. Lovely photos.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Sep 22:07

At a charity shop I picked up a big print of a William McTaggart painting called 'A message from the sea'. Three bairns are on a cold windy beach (about 1880), beachcombing or maybe out to dig for shellfood. One o' them has found a bottle wi' a message in it and they're just in the process o' findin' oot what it says. The painting is in Dundee Art Gallery.

I like the picture because I can hear and smell the sea and I can kinda see things through the bairns eyes and empathise wi' them.

You got any nice big pictures o' the hills you miss Ipswich? Maybe it could help tae keep ye connected wi' them. I reckon Widtink's photies would make good posters. Even at this wee scale I get a sense o' them bringin' the big outdoors indoors.

Post Edited (Fri 21 Sep 22:35)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Sep 08:22

Nice picture, onandup. It captures the wild sea nicely. Incidentally, is your original pic a Lowry? I went to a Lowry exhibition in Perth Town Hall back in the seventies and your pic reminded me of that. I bought a couple of matchstick men prints at the event, though they were more industrial and bleak than your one.

On a side note, widtink's photos remind me that I will often change my desktop picture to brighten my mood. Right now I have a photo that I took in Townsville a couple of weeks ago as it takes me to an enjoyable time engaged in yacht racing with my son... and having a few pints with fellow dotnetter, Townsvillepar.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Sep 13:07

Ref: OzPar
Date: Sat 22 Sep 08:22

<<< the wild sea>> nicely put, is what attracted me to the picture. It has a windy look, with the spray coming up where it smacks a skerry and two cormorants sitting out on the rocks.

'Man Lying on a wall' is by Lowry, Oz. With that and the McTaggart and Wid's pictures we're gettin' a nice wee gallery going here.

Speaking of desktop pictures as mood-lifters, the same applies to me all-round: I try tae surround myself with more o' the things I like (or that have good associations), do new things, have treats and keep away from downers.

I had wanted to go to an agricultural show today but my wife's unwell, so I'll get intae ma books. Currently reading 'The Best of Ernest Thompson Seton' - riveting wildlife stories based on his observations and studies of animals in the wild; and poetry!

'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same... (Kipling)

Might need some o' that at Cappielow today!

Post Edited (Mon 24 Sep 13:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Sep 13:24

I have three books that permanently sit on my bedside table - the poems of Robert Service, the poems of William McGonnagle and Para Handy Tales by Neil Munro.

It doesn't matter how many times I have read them (probably many hundreds of times now), a short extract from any of these books quickly takes away any negative feelings that remain from the day.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Sep 14:02

I hadn't heard of Robert Service, but I looked him up and I've just read 'The Ballad of Blasphemous Bill'. Very amusing, but also 'take-you there' descriptions of being about in the frozen North American trapper country. Superb last line:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46647/the-ballad-of-blasphemous-bill

Yeh it's always a good idea tae keep yer favourite books handy. Sometimes I can't sleep - my head's going on like a never-ending rubbish shute. I reach for the light switch and James Herriot's 'Every Living Thing'. Twenty minutes:sorted. Off tae Nod.

Post Edited (Sun 23 Sep 13:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Sep 21:31

this one I like as it's no very often ye get the river so still

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Sep 00:44

The last time I was over in Scotland, I stayed at the Elgin Hotel in Limekilns the night of a Pars game and went for a walk the next morning along the shores of the Forth. Scotland has some great scenery, but there are few more inspiring views than the bridges on a crisp spring day.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net