DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Spooky thing just happened...
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 09:20

Here I am in the sitting room watching a program on the telly on great railway jouneys. The telly is a Samsung large screen Smart TV. I have my MacBook laptop sitting on the coffee table in front of me operating on WiFi from my modem in the corner of the room. About 30 ft away in my study sits an HP printer with WiFi...

I am in conversation with my daughter and the discussion is what we will make for dinner tonight. I comment that we have some chopped beef in the fridge, so shall we do beef stroganoff?

I reach over to my laptop to check dotnet and lo and behold there's an advert for a recipe website with a picture of... beef stroganoff.

Spooky eh? So what is listening to me and feeding the info directly to my computer or is it a coincidence? I am guessing the TV is the guilty party.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Spooky thing just happened...
Topic Originator: londonparsclub  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 09:27

Not spooky, new tech from company’s.
Your not the only one.

My mate was on his phone talking about getting a new car.
When he hung up and logged into a social media app he was bombarded with ads for the same car he was just talking about.

Samsung you say

HF05
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 09:35

https://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/technology/security/samsung-smart-tv-privacy/index.html

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 10:56

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 12:47

Quote:

WORST, Fri 2 Nov 10:56

Dotnet is spying on you too.
When I’m browsing on amazon, gumtree, etc, the items I look at comes up in the advertising space, and there’s no opt out either.

You could try browsing in private/incognito and/or use the app and pay for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 13:30

At work we were talking about this too, one woman was on about how she had been having a discussion with her son about what to buy his gran as a present, and the next time he looked at Amazon the Mary Berry cook book they were discussing was the first thing recommended for him. Another girl had been talking to her friend about how a dr said she would need test for fibromyalgia, and from then on she was getting loads of adverts regarding treatments etc. I think if we knew the full extent of how much we are being watched and listened to, we would throw all our tech in the bin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 14:55

I'm just surprised folk didn't know about this already ... It's been on the go for a while now.
I did read that anyone that has windows 10 can have their devices camera used without their knowledge... But that could aw be a pile of nonsense.
You don't know what to believe these days.
Shh... Ive said too much 😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 15:15

Best to avoid ready up on Parus major then!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 15:48

We should consider ourselves lucky that it's just listening to as to sell us stuff. In some countries it's listening to that they can haul you out of your bed in the middle of the night and take you to a 're-education' camp.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Fri 2 Nov 16:11

Quite an interesting article about Google in China

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/tech/google-china-censorship/index.html
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Opelfruitloops  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 00:04

I get ads about Fibromyalgia treatments. It's cruel as there is no treatment. It's all designed to take your money. By the way the test leaves you in agony for days after but at least you get a proper diagnosis, know what you've got and know what to expect. I suffer from fibromyalgia and wouldn't wish it on even my worst enemy.

Be true to who you are
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 10:51

Quote:

Opelfruitloops, Fri 9 Nov 00:04

I get ads about Fibromyalgia treatments. It's cruel as there is no treatment. It's all designed to take your money. By the way the test leaves you in agony for days after but at least you get a proper diagnosis, know what you've got and know what to expect. I suffer from fibromyalgia and wouldn't wish it on even my worst enemy.

My wife was eventually diagnosed about 3 years ago, getting right medication is a bit trial and error, each day she wakes up is an adventure. Physio says exercise but pains in her legs restrict that, recently been plagued with plantar fasciitis which totally immobilises her. On Gabapentin now which seems to control pain a bit, America seems to be going the canabis route, UK may catch up.
Was in Cyprus last month and we had a room with steps down into the pool, my wife loved it, had her doing exercises in the water, including just walking. Looking for suitable venue locally, but would have to be later in the day as mornings are a wash out.
Patience is a virtue Opelfruitloops!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Mon 12 Nov 02:21

I don't think we have any technology that listens to us, but I'm most likely wrong. A few mobiles, tablets, laptops are always nearby. But I can't imagine what 'they' are going to recommend me after our bottle of red on a Saturday night.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 12 Nov 03:11

Was it a Red Hill Estate pinot noir, GG? That was my choice on Saturday.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Mon 12 Nov 22:09

OzPar - if memory serves me correctly, I think we had a Quealy 'Rageous'. A nice Pinot-based blend; she certainly makes interesting wines.
Cheers
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net