DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Outlaw King
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 21:43

On Netflix now.
Just going to watch it.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Outlaw King
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 22:42

As it is a three part story I really enjoyed it and concentrated on strategy in war and the internal conflicts between clans and noblemen which were very real then.
Christopher Pine was excellent as The Bruce I thought and didn't go down the superstar route so lots of the others got to shine

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 01:35

Chris Pine was actually the best part of this. It was a decent enough watch and while the battle scenes looked realistic the historical factual narrative could have been better told.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 01:43

Really enjoyed it. Chris Pine was great, but Aaron Taylor-Johnson who played James Douglas was fantastic.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 02:37

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 10 Nov 01:35

Chris Pine was actually the best part of this. It was a decent enough watch and while the battle scenes looked realistic the historical factual narrative could have been better told.

This. Why have Edward die on route when we know he died 3 months after. Edward jnr wasn't there either. No need. Keep it true.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 09:37

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 10 Nov 02:37

Quote:

This. Why have Edward die on route when we know he died 3 months after. Edward jnr wasn't there either. No need. Keep it true.

Because people watch movies to be entertained and documentaries for historical fact maybe?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 10:01

"Why have Edward die on route when we know he died 3 months after. Edward jnr wasn't there either. No need. Keep it true."

What year or which battle are we talking about ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 10:09

The battle of loudon hill.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Bertiesback  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 10:42

I thought Pine was poor. His acting was woeful and half the time he seemed to be somewhere else.

To me at any rate he never seemed fully engaged. Fortunately there were some fine performances from others around him.

A poor choice (and I'm not referring to his accent which was fine) and worrying that this is to be the first of a trilogy (I wasn't aware of that)

The special effects for the battle scenes were spectacular and helped to carry a fairly dull film overall.

I loved the closing song but Netflix obviously didn't as it was cut off on the transmission I watched before it had ended.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 10:55

I thought it was okay. Filled in a couple of hours today. The fight scenes were well done and I had no problem with any of the actors, but I hated the contrived singing in several scenes. That has become such a cliche in historical Scottish pieces.

7/10
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 11:54

They are currently filming Robert the Bruce with Angus MacFadyen as a follow up to Braveheart, which could be interesting.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 12:27

"The battle of loudon hill."

Thanks for clarification.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 15:55

Quote:

P, Sat 10 Nov 09:37

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 10 Nov 02:37

Quote:

Because people watch movies to be entertained and documentaries for historical fact maybe?

I have no problem with a wee bit romance or poetic license but the death of Longshanks was without doubt the most significant factor in the entire struggle. They could have got that right. They didn't need his pup at the battle either. The rivalry was with Aymer de Valence after the rout at Methven.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 16:44

Quote:

Bertiesback, Sat 10 Nov 10:42

I thought Pine was poor. His acting was woeful and half the time he seemed to be somewhere else.

To me at any rate he never seemed fully engaged. Fortunately there were some fine performances from others around him.

A poor choice (and I'm not referring to his accent which was fine) and worrying that this is to be the first of a trilogy (I wasn't aware of that)

The special effects for the battle scenes were spectacular and helped to carry a fairly dull film overall.

I loved the closing song but Netflix obviously didn't as it was cut off on the transmission I watched before it had ended.

Where did you see the story about a trilogy? Seems odd they then give the history at the end, I thought the director wanted to tell the story of one particular year of his life? (Wouldn’t mind seeing others)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dalgety_Par  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 09:34

Know a few people who appeared as extras in this, and they were saying Chris Pine done nothing but complain about the cold, which is why he's not doing another one.

I thought the movie was good. Thought pine done well, even the accent wasn't too bad. Bit weird that they wouldn't take you to Bannockburn, which makes me think there may be another one.

It's common knowledge that Lionel Messi kept a photo of Hamish French by his bedside as inspiration every morning!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 10:12

I was cold just watching it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 16:26

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 11 Nov 10:12

I was cold just watching it.

Maybe put the heating or some clothes on

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Nov 12:48

Several historical errors, for example the ambush at Dalrigh was near Tyndrum, Perthshire, not a west coast loch.

Film spoiled by the nonsense of Edward II being at Loudon Hill and unbelievably being allowed to leave the field.

Elizabeth was held captive until a year or so after Bannochburn, so no romantic reuniting after LH battle.

Enjoyable romp nevertheless if you can ignore the chronological mess of events.

Post Edited (Mon 12 Nov 13:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Mon 12 Nov 13:31

Some of the accents were horrific. Not a bad film but doubt I’ll ever watch it again. Good to see the abbey get so much air time though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Mon 12 Nov 13:58

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Nov 14:17

The trebuchet seige engine early on was a scene stealer, I bet that grabbed the enemy's attention !!!

I mind a TV documentary a few years back when they built and test fired one - impressive stuff !!!

There is a working one at Warwick Castle I believe.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 11:36

Quote:

DRFC_no1, Mon 12 Nov 13:58

The historical inaccuracy at certain points and lack of telling you where half the action was meant I spent half my time on wikipedia trying to figure out if it was true or not! Thought Loudin Hill was Bannockburn at first!!!

Good viewing but just wish they would make an historically accurate moving about that period.

Is wikipedia really the best place to look for accurate information ;-)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 11:45

It doesnt have to be completely accurate. They have to make it entertaining. As someone said, it is a film, not a documentary. Stuff like kings dying and participants in battles is easy enough to get right though, and should be historically correct.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 12:34

Isn't it called artistic licence?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 12:39

Another very important historical omission is Neil Campbell. Cousin and best pal of Angus Og McDonald. He was with Bruce from the start and married his sister Mary.
Angus and Neil were jointly responsible for rescuing and hiding Bruce after Methven.
It was due to this loyalty that Angus and Neil were given lands and power which grew to a point where the Campbell's and McDonalds became arch enemies. A large part of that was due to the McDonalds wanting the Isles to be their Kingdom and so opposing the Scottish kings and often supporting the English to suppress the power of the Scottish kings.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 19:47

Correct, another omission.

Also, the whole thing about Edward II's appearance at Loudon Hill is a joke on every level.

Had it happened, and had Bruce been in a position to hold him he would have done so 100% - and used him as ransom for Elizabeth.

That was standard operating procedure for high value captured enemy in that era - in reality that was what happened after Bannockburn when several major league Earls etc. were collared.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 21:17

Might seem pedantic to some but if you understand all that early stuff it helps you understand the latter stuff and precisely why the Corries lyrics are utter mince. Unfortunately Corries pash like Flower of Scotland and Cruel is the snow are more popular than authentic history books.

Post Edited (Tue 13 Nov 21:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 22:05

Scottish history should really be taught in schools. When I was at school all we got was an airbrushed, very british (ie english) version of events
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 02:49

Can you give an example. Im not aware of that but I was at school in the 60s and 70s maybe things changed. I got the shortbread tin charlie is my darling p*sh.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 14:04

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 17 Nov 11:33

Thought it was average at best. As mentioned above the dreary singing scenes spoilt it for me. Being totally pedantic why was there a guy pushing a cart full of apples in May ?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net