DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Escape from Dubai
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Mon 10 Dec 19:16

A this world documentary on bbc iplayer, i’ve never had any inkling to visit this place, now justly cemented i shall never set foot there, have a watch and then ask yourself if you really want to go there?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Escape from Dubai
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 10 Dec 20:27

Quote:

calpar, Mon 10 Dec 19:16

A this world documentary on bbc iplayer, i’ve never had any inkling to visit this place, now justly cemented i shall never set foot there, have a watch and then ask yourself if you really want to go there?

I have no idea why anyone would go here and I don't even need to watch the show.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 10 Dec 20:50

One of my brothers lived and worked there for years. Always raved what a great and safe place it was, then one day had to leave in a hurry. I was never tempted to visit but one of my daughters did and she loved it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Mon 10 Dec 22:27

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: diskodeek  
Date:   Mon 10 Dec 23:31

just back. gid holiday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 11 Dec 03:14

Got married in Vegas. Great place. NY is great too. Miami was fantastic. Dubai - why go there? Can someone who has been explain please?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Dec 09:47

Its not really a ‘show’ moviescot, more lifting the lid on how this particular part of the world is really run, bit of an eyeopener, and would perhaps dissuade some from entertaining them
Worth a watch
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 11 Dec 12:14

Moviescot. Dubai is a perfect one/two night stopover if you are flying Emirates between Australia/NZ and Scotland. I have broken my journey there several times.

I first went there with work in the 1970s and there is no comparison to today. Then, the city of Dubai was clustered round the historic creek, with fascinating markets (souks) selling goods fresh off the dhows that filled the creek after having sailed south from Iran and Iraq or north from India and East Africa. The air was filled with the aroma of exotic spices and there was a nerve-tingling danger about the place, especially in the narrow dark alleyways, that made it all the more exciting to visit.

Today, it is a tourism paradise and if you stick to the rules, quite safe. Hotels and shopping malls are everywhere and they are overflowing with tourists gaping at in awe at the ever-taller buildings that surround them. But the city has no character and no visible history. Buildings seem to have a lifespan of 15 years in Dubai. Imported labour does all the work. And woe betide any foreigner who crosses their draconian legal system. It will be jail time without an escape key.

The indigenous Arabs appear to contribute nothing except money as they swan about in Mercedes and Porsches between air conditioned buildings meeting up with their counterparts for coffee and tea during the day. In the evening, they are to be found in dark corners of hotel night clubs and bars pouring champagne to a pouting crowd of Russian hookers.

It is all quite depressing really.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 11 Dec 21:45

You really should watch the program, its not just how they treat foreigners......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 12 Dec 07:40

Holiday in a place with harsher rules than here....haud me back.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 12 Dec 09:32

I watched the documentary and struggled to garner much sympathy for the narcassistic little spoilt brat who wanted to escape her gilded cage. That she could readily access $400,000 to finance that escape tells you all you need to know.

There are far more important and deserving cases when it comes to defending human rights in this world.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Dec 21:39

My point being if thats how people of wealth and ‘stature’, she is basically royalty, are treated, then imagine what they are getting away with against normal joe public, foreigners, and others that would speak out, all it seems with the assistance and ignorance of other developed/developi g countries

They are the biggest bunch of hypocrites going, and the west kow tow to that whole lot out there
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Wed 12 Dec 21:59

Quote:

OzPar, Wed 12 Dec 09:32

I watched the documentary and struggled to garner much sympathy for the narcassistic little spoilt brat who wanted to escape her gilded cage. That she could readily access $400,000 to finance that escape tells you all you need to know.

There are far more important and deserving cases when it comes to defending human rights in this world.

I think the programme went straight over your head.

It's to show that money isn't worth anything if you are kept prisoner and don't have any freedom. If she is treated like that then what about the normal women in the country. What chance do they have.

It explained all about the law of guardianship over women.

It showed how the bottom that is in charge is basically a dictator that controls everything and has a huge state of the art surveillance network.

Post Edited (Wed 12 Dec 22:01)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net