DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Andy Murray
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 02:13

I think we are seeing the final sporting days of one of Scotland’s greatest sportsmen and what a joy it has been watching him lifting the Wimbledon titles.
When I was younger watching the champions of Borg et al, never had I expected to see such a thing as a Scottish champion of the premier tennis tournament
Such a joy to see this and a bit of a card with wry Scottish humour to boot.
Take a bow Sir Andy Murray and enjoy whatever happens from now on.

Post Edited (Fri 11 Jan 02:15)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Andy Murray
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 04:56

Agree, prob the hardest era to ever reach number 1 given Fed, Djokovic and nadal around.

Think he’ll get pumped in the first round and call it a day. It’s not worth risking your future mobility over and he’s set for life now.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

Post Edited (Fri 11 Jan 07:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 08:06

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 09:02

Waking up to this news is really sad. The man is my(and many others,hero). I'm at a loss for words at the moment but that footage of him in front of the Australian media just breaks my heart.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 09:07

Ps let's try and keep all the mean and envious comments to a minimum please. Having read some comments online this morning just reminded of how petty and despicable a large amount of people are.

Rise above it people, or if you've nothing nice to say, just be quiet for once.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 09:43

I think Andy would be better to call it a day now in case he does further irreparable damage to his hip which might affect his quality of life in the future. I can't help wondering whether that marvellous year when he put himself through hell to achieve the position as world No 1 took its toll on his body.

Following tennis won't have the same attraction for me when we don't have Andy to cheer on. Hopefully he can find a role in retirement which will keep him involved with tennis.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 10:05

Yes a sad day for him, as Parsmad said watching tennis in the 70s and 80 s I never thought that one day a Brit (never mind a SCOT) would actually become World Number 1 and win Wimbledon.
Andy has given such unbridled joy to the country I hope he stays in tennis and perhaps develops the next generation. Whatever he decides to do , with his energy , his keen sense of right/ wrong and his contacts I am sure we will hear a lot more of him in the years to come.
Thanks for the memories Andy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 10:07

Yes. Calling it quits now makes sense but I'm sure is the hardest decision. He's not going to be happy without operating at the very top level and his style of play is so physically demanding that I doubt he can get back there.

I'm so sad to see him go. But he has given me some amazing memories.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 10:30

He’s obviously gutted but he has achieved a hell of a lot and when he sits down and reflects, he will come to terms with it.
Better to have had that injury at 31 rather than 21
If I was him, I’d pull out of the Aussie open and then take some time off and prepare a little for Wimbledon.
Get on centre court against hopefully a low ranked opponent. Use your experience to get through and then retire, going out on a win

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 11:47

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 12:21

The problem is there aren't many players ranked lower than he is now who qualify for a major. He has a tough draw in Australia and it would probably be as tough at Wimbledon.

Post Edited (Fri 11 Jan 13:03)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 12:50

In my eyes the finest sportsman Britain has ever produced.

Raymies' plan would be ideal for me. One last game at Wimbledon. He gets the send-off he truly deserves win or lose.

Then he can retire & enjoy the rest of his life with his wife & kids. He fully deserves it.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 11 Jan 22:51

Stopped playing but far from finished. I think he will get involved in bringing on new Andy Murrays.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Sat 12 Jan 11:14

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 12 Jan 18:45

I wouldn't say I'm gutted for him, but it is a shame.

He's got millions in the bank, a wife and two children, so from a family perspective it might be a blessing seeing how much travelling he'll have been doing.

Try not to feel too sorry for the boy. I'm sure he'll be alright.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 13 Jan 09:23

Quote:

Berry, Sat 12 Jan 18:45

He's got millions in the bank, a wife and two children, so from a family perspective it might be a blessing seeing how much travelling he'll have been doing.

This has nothing at all to do with his wealth.
The guy has sacrificed most of his life to tennis and has to call it a day at the young age of 31.
I'm fairly sure money was the last thing on his mind in that emotional press conference.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Jan 11:42

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Sun 13 Jan 09:23

Quote:

Berry, Sat 12 Jan 18:45

This has nothing at all to do with his wealth.
The guy has sacrificed most of his life to tennis and has to call it a day at the young age of 31.
I'm fairly sure money was the last thing on his mind in that emotional press conference.

I know it's got naff all to do with his wealth why he's upset about retiring. I've not alluded to that in what I've posted and not once said he was thinking about the dosh...correct me if I'm wrong...but suggest a re-read....

I mention his wealth because he can retire and spend quality family time doing whatever they want now so whilst he'll be gutted, long term it may be a blessing. His wife I imagine has sacrificed a lot to allow Murray to continue playing tennis.

Outside of tennis he's still got a good life. That's why I said I'm not gutted for him, but acknowledge it's a shame.

Millions of folk would love just a taste of what he's experienced in life.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Jan 19:20

I get what you are saying Berry. I just don't get why you felt it needed to be said.
It is reasonably positive (for you) but sufficiently negative to be unneccessary.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 13 Jan 19:58

Never his biggest fan but sad it came to this and no way anyone could watch the press conference and not feel for him.

31 doesn't actually seem that old for tennis players to retire, think over the years i can remember the likes of Ferrero, Kuerten, Kafelnikov, Saffin and a few more have called it a day due to injury at a similarly relative young age. Must be one of the most physically demanding sports there is.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Jan 21:28

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 13 Jan 19:20

I get what you are saying Berry. I just don't get why you felt it needed to be said.
It is reasonably positive (for you) but sufficiently negative to be unneccessary.

I'll take the compliment ;-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 13 Jan 21:59

You are very welcome. Keep working on the positivity. It could be the new you.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 10:57

Latest...

Fourth set: Murray* 4-6, 4-6, 7-6, 3-3 Bautista Agut (*denotes server): All of a sudden, it’s 0-30. Another sniff of a chance for Bautista Agut. Murray needs all his grit now. He also needs a bit of luck. A drop shot at 15-30’s begging for punishment, only for Bautista Agut to whip a forehand wide. Another dink from Bautista Agut goes wide, making it 40-30, and Murray serves well to hold. Grit levels: still high.

Live Updates...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2019/jan/14/andy-murray-v-roberto-bautista-agut-australian-open-2019-live
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 10:59

I let out a roar when Murray won the tie break in the third-it felt almost as good as winning the match.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 11:36

Andy Murray wins the fourth set 7-6 to force a fifth set!

Fourth set tie-break: Murray* 7-4 Bautista Agut (*denotes server): Murray slices a serve to the forehand and Bautista Agut nets a sliced return! “Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaarrrggghhhhhh!” Murray cries. He’s forced a fifth set! Can you believe it? No. But also yes. Because it’s Andy Murray, so the illogical makes sense.

(Guardian online live stream)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 11:45

Turned on Eurosport. Saw Murray get broken. Turned off again.

Feckin jinx
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 11:58

tea's out now - last thing he needed was a five set match

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 12:25

Remarkable to come back from two sets down.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 12:29

Roberto Bautista Agut beats Andy Murray 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-7, 6-2
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 12:44

Will need an op to have any chance of making Wimbledon.
Not worth it - time to call it a day now I think.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 13:42

surely he can rest up for 3/4 months and play at Wimbledon? I'd be amazed if he bowed out now

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: preston par  
Date:   Mon 14 Jan 14:42

Was quite hard to watch at times, not moving properly, wincing at every step etc.
That being said, very strange for the Australian Open to show what was basically a retirement tribute when it's not actually confirmed.
I think he'll hang on and make it to Wimbledon.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net