DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Booking flights in another currency
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Fri 25 Jan 16:12

Been keeping an eye on flights to Perth for mid April time. Unfortunately the flights have jumped by around £200 each in the last week. However, when searching on skyscanner.au I have found flights at about £750 each rather than the £900 odds on skyscanner.net.. my question is will I be hammered for a foreign transaction fee/poor exchange rate from the bank? The flights are through go to gate, which is coming up as the Australian website & everything in $.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Booking flights in another currency
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 25 Jan 17:56

Depends on your credit card fees. My Santander one doesn't charge much extra..my others would nail me for it. There should be ts and cs on the credit card website if you have mislaid your paper copy.

If the website offers to let you pay in pounds, watch for this too. They will probably sting you.

All that being said....I'm not sure if there are other problems buying on the Aus site....my only recommendation is tread carefully!

Hope you get a good price.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 25 Jan 18:44

I use a Revolut card for foreign currency. Costs £10 but no currency fee, but never booked flights with it.
Might be an option.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 26 Jan 01:02

Some good guidance in here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

My girlfriend got a Monzo card last time we were going away and it was excellent. Transactions get updated on the app within minutes so you know what you've spent.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sat 26 Jan 09:50

You may find on trying to pay for flights that the airline system only accepts credit cards in the local currency.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Jan 20:23

Cheers folks. Might go down the travel card route, had one when we went to Thailand years ago and it was perfect.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 27 Jan 02:11

Bamba, Just as a point of comparison, have a look at webjet.com.au

I very often use this site when looking for the best flight prices.

Oz
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 27 Jan 08:08

There are several credit cards which give the so called “near perfect” exchange rate when buying goods & services abroad, with no added fees.

Halifax Clarity is well rated.

Monzo is a debit card and is only fee free at foreign ATMs up to £200 per 30 day cycle - Starling is the best debit card for foreign travel.

An Aussie firm will charge in Aus. Dollars but if you opt to convert in local currency (avoid £s or you pay more) you’ll get the best deal.

Post Edited (Sun 27 Jan 10:39)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Mon 28 Jan 23:34

Flight to Perth?? Better driving?

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Jan 19:36

Wondered how long it would be..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Thu 31 Jan 20:18

I have a Transferwise card which is pretty good. You can pre-load it with pretty much any major currency. Charges 2% for ATM withdrawals right enough but I find it very handy since I live close to Denmark - particularly with the Nordics moving toward being cashlesa societies - and am in Japan often. Also good for use aa a savings account since you can put your money in growing currencies like Chinese Yuan or Filipino Pesos or you can opt for safe currencies like Japanese Yen or Swiss Francs. Automatically chooses the local currency balance and you can shift your pre-loaded money around in different currencies too. Can all be done on the phone app and you get instant updates on your phone, assuming you have Internet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 31 Jan 21:11

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 27 Jan 08:08

There are several credit cards which give the so called “near perfect” exchange rate when buying goods & services abroad, with no added fees.

Halifax Clarity is well rated.

Monzo is a debit card and is only fee free at foreign ATMs up to £200 per 30 day cycle - Starling is the best debit card for foreign travel.

An Aussie firm will charge in Aus. Dollars but if you opt to convert in local currency (avoid £s or you pay more) you’ll get the best deal.

Monzo do not charge for paying f/c with their debit card and use Mastercards rate with 0.0% commission so would work for this transaction. The ATM limit is correct but debit card is the best way to use it. Pretty sure mastercard use money market rates - but happy to be corrected?

Monzo must have a very high risk appetite as when I opened mine the card was in my hands within 3 or 4 days of opening on the app.

Anyone use Curve as that looks interesting too but a bit more complicated? You carry one card and power it via an app which debits your other cards.....I think, not read up on it in detail yet.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Feb 13:21

"The ATM limit is correct but debit card is the best way to use it."

Starling Bank debit card is the best, it does not have the Monzo fee free limit of £200 per 30 day cycle for ATM usage abroad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 1 Feb 14:44

Something I forgot to mention is that one of the credit cards might be the best option as you get Section 75 cover in a lot cases. Might be worth thinking about just in case anything goes wrong as it's a fairly large transaction.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 1 Feb 18:35

Last 2 posts are both good advice. Starling limited to 300 quid a day without fees, or was during the summer. Really rate everything about it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Feb 20:42

The best credit card for travel is Barclay Card Platinum Travel Cashback, no ATM fees or even interest charges (unique deal) as long as you settle the full balance by the next monthly statement payment due date.

Likewise no fees for goods and services abroad if settled as above.

It also pays 0.25% cashback for all purchases.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net