DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 A wee holiday job
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 17:33

About twenty years ago tour bus in Menorca called in at a big leather outlet. A couple of local girls were modelling the women’s stuff, but the regular chap was late or something and I was pressed into service to model men’s jackets.

Oh the spotlight, the glamour of the catwalk..if only the chance had come when I was young, a career leading my own brand of undercrackers would surely have beckoned...

A while before that in Rhodes, the local taverna suffered damage to the roadside pole holding its illuminated sign. The bar staff were trying to weld a repair, the Scots guy at the table next to us was shaking his head, his missus was waving a finger at him.

Go for a pee, came back and sure enough the wifie was sitting on her own with a face like fizz while her man was happily torching away. Free kebabs and Mythos for the duration I think.

Anyone else on hols found their services were unexpectedly in demand?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: A wee holiday job
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 18:55

"Anyone else on hols found their services were unexpectedly in demand? "

The Algarve, summer of 1983, hotel staff strike across the whole area, maybe even all Portugal for 2 or 3 days.

No chefs, no waiting staff etc.

The management turned to the cooking duties and a whean of guests helped out serving tables and mucking in.

We did OK.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 20:26

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 23:06

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 26 Apr 18:55

The Algarve, summer of 1983, hotel staff strike across the whole area, maybe even all Portugal for 2 or 3 days.

The management turned to the cooking duties and a whean of guests helped out serving tables and mucking in.

We did OK.

SCABS
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: broontroot  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 23:27

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 26 Apr 23:06

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 26 Apr 18:55

We did OK.

SCABS

THIS ^^^^^^
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 03:01

I spent most of 1975 serving as Third Officer on a cruise liner called the Windsor Castle (you can look up pictures of the ship on Google).

On one voyage, we had the BBC radio Wimbledon commentator Max Robertson and his wife Elisabeth Beresford as passengers.

Ms Beresford was the creator of The Wombles, which was a popular children's TV show at the time. Anyway, just prior to the ship arriving in Las Palmas she asked a purser if she could organise some folk to volunteer their time while the ship was in port.

I became one of those volunteers and found myself dressed in an Uncle Bulgaria costume dancing not too enthusiastically on the back of a flatbed truck to the tune of "Remember you're a Womble" as Ms Beresford got interviewed on Spanish TV.

:)

Post Edited (Sat 27 Apr 05:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 07:43

Rms Windsor Castle OZ?

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 09:21

Yes indeed, Widtink. A magnificent ship.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 11:17

My Tom Jones turn at Rhine Hotel party night.

Delilah was murdered in more ways than one!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 21:17

"SCABS

THIS ^^^^^^ "

How wrong can you be - there was a big whip round for the staff and they probably got more than if they'd be at work !!!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net