DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Concept Albums
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 17:10

Tonight I am going to see The Antlers perform their acclaimed concept album Hospice for its 10 year anniversary tour.

I was trying to think of other concept albums I like but couldn't think of many.

What I have so far are
Chumbawamba - Pictures of Starving Children Sell Records.
Chumbawamba - Nevermind the Ballots.
Dexys - One Day I'm Going to Soar
Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart
The Who - Quadrophenia
Jeff Waynes - War of the Worlds

Anyone got any good recommendations for concept albums?

I don't like anything by Pink Floyd or Tommy by The Who.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Concept Albums
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 17:16

Rush 2112
Rush. Clockwork Angels
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 17:39

Maiden. Seventh Son.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 17:42

I suppose the early ones would be the Beach Boys Pet Sounds and the Beatles Sergeant Pepper, but you would best do a Google search for Progressive Rock; that's where the concept album really came into its own.

Off the top of my head, I would include just about every album by Emerson Lake and Palmer, Rick Wakeman, Alan Parsons Project, Moody Blues, Mike Oldfield and Jethro Tull. Not to mention the kings of the concept album, Pink Floyd - but seeing as you don't like them, I fear your musical soul is lost to the devil...

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 20:33

Yeah loads of Prog albums are concept.

Moody Blues - Days of future past
Home - The alchemist
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
ELP - Pictures at an exhibition & Welcome back my friends
Spocks Beard - Snow

Boringly I still listen to them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 21:10

Mansun's Attack Of The Grey Lantern is almost a concept album, but they don't fully realise the concept until their album Six. Both are well worth a listen.
Berlin by Lou Reed is a classic concept album, however I wouldn't recommend listening to it.
Although it is amazing work of art, it is widely regarded as "the most depressing album of all time" with very good reason.
I have found that listening to it can affect my mood for a couple of weeks- it's hard going, so much so that I have hidden it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 21:22

The excellent Frank Zappa albums Joes Garage

Springsteen's classic Nebraska could be described as a concept album

Johnny Cash Bitter Tears album must have been one of the first and a brilliant album
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 22:47

Titus Andronicus - The Monitor and The Most Lamentable Tragedy

The first loosely on the American Civil War, try No Future Part III, the second a double (triple on vinyl) all about drug addiction and descent into madness. It, and they in general, can be a bit long winded and self indulgent (especially for punk) but there's loads of good stuff in there. The Magic Morning is half a dozen songs from it in one video and a good summary of the album while leaving out their greater excesses. It's how I got hooked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 22:59

I guess there's also a set of concept albums currently being formed with Einaudi releasing the set of Seven Days Walking albums over seven months. The mood affecting comment above reminded me as his music certainly can alter mine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 23:32

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 00:01

Lou Reed New York and also Berlin as mentioned earlier. Got to disagree about Berlin as still listen to it and saw it performed live.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 00:08

Pink Floyd Animals.
Belter of an album imo

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 07:14

I never owned the Pet Sounds album, and only ever heard the singles from it, but the making of it was featured on BBC Classic Album series.

Surprisingly, for me anyway, much of the instrumentation was by hired session musicians.

Even more surprising that the lyrics also came from an outsider - Tony Asher, who took time off from his day job writing jingles for adverts to pen the words for Brian Wilson’s music.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 07:59

Anthem of the Sun - Grateful Dead
The Point - Nilsson
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 10:43

What’s Going On by Marvin Gaye. Immense and important.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 11:15

It took me quite a few goes to get into The Streets but the second album A Grand Don't Come for Free is definitely in concept album territory.

I preferred Original Pirate Material but I'm not sure if it's really a concept album.

Quite a few of Future Sound of London's albums could be considered as concept albums if you like electronic ambient stuff but I prefer picking the tracks I like on Spotify rather than listening to their albums in one go.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gem 1977  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 12:18

SF Sorrow by The Pretty Things

Here's to the first of the day, fellas! To old D.H. Lawrence.
Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 14:40

The gig last night was simply beautiful.
A stripped back version of most of the songs.

Will try and listen to a few of these recommendations over the next week or so.

Already have Pet Sounds not really my idea of what a concept album is. I know technically it is one.
I like when all the songs are related and have a theme running through them.
Having different "found sounds" on all the tracks doesn't fit the bill for me.
Pet sounds is a fantastic album, one of the greatest ever but not the type of concept album I'm after.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 15:16

Worst concept album - Kiss Music From The Elder ( I'm an enormous fan of Kiss, but this was simply appalling..)

Best concept album - Styx Paradise Theatre (not a bad track on this thoroughly outstanding record, based on the true story of the rise and fall of a real theatre in Chicago...I used to have the laser etched version on vinyl, which would probably be worth a few bob now if I could just get it back from the person I stupidly loaned it to...)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 17:06

Probably not the vein you were thinking about but The Duckworth Lewis Method have two concept albums about cricket, their self titled debut album and the follow up Sticky Wicket. I've not heard the latter but the former is excellent. Age of Revolution and Test Match Special in particular are stand out tracks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 22:17

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Nightwish
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 12:11

Another STYX album. Kilroy was here

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 15:37

Quote:

Bandy, Mon 22 Apr 22:17

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Nightwish

Imaginarium. Also Nightwish and they also made a movie about the album.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 17:31

Yeah - I like Imaginareum too (Storytime being an all time fave song), but I think EFMB shades it for me, mostly because I think Floor is a more compelling vocalist that Annette (and Tarja for that matter)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 19:48

Quote:

Bandy, Tue 23 Apr 17:31

Yeah - I like Imaginareum too (Storytime being an all time fave song), but I think EFMB shades it for me, mostly because I think Floor is a more compelling vocalist that Annette (and Tarja for that matter)

Not sure I like Floor. I did buy a vinyl copy of the album. Seen a couple of live concerts on you tube and felt she struggled a bit. I saw Nightwish live in Glasgow with Annette singing and thought she suited most of the songs better. Was never a big fan of Tarja.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 19:49

Yes album, saw them playing it at the Kinema 1971, superb musicians playing prog rock.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 07:40

Probably around 1995, I took my family to see Deep Forest in concert at the Arts Centre in Melbourne. It was probably the most complete and enjoyable live music experience I have ever had.

Deep Forest were (and I think still are) leading exponents of the World Music scene. Though I can only speak for their first few albums, I think it is safe to say that they would comfortably fit in the concept albums category.

The first album, the self-titled Deep Forest, is just wonderful.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 09:48

"Not sure I like Floor. I did buy a vinyl copy of the album. Seen a couple of live concerts on you tube and felt she struggled a bit. I saw Nightwish live in Glasgow with Annette singing and thought she suited most of the songs better. Was never a big fan of Tarja."

I came to Nightwish late so Floor was the first one I heard - I had to go through the back catalogue to hear Tarja and Annette, which is probably why Floor's my favourite. That and the fact she sings the bridge in Storytime (Annette used a recording), and for the final note in Floor's version of Ghost Love Score. Wow.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Apr 16:42

Quote:

Bandy, Wed 24 Apr 09:48

"Not sure I like Floor. I did buy a vinyl copy of the album. Seen a couple of live concerts on you tube and felt she struggled a bit. I saw Nightwish live in Glasgow with Annette singing and thought she suited most of the songs better. Was never a big fan of Tarja."

I came to Nightwish late so Floor was the first one I heard - I had to go through the back catalogue to hear Tarja and Annette, which is probably why Floor's my favourite. That and the fact she sings the bridge in Storytime (Annette used a recording), and for the final note in Floor's version of Ghost Love Score. Wow.

Great band. Tarja was a bit of an acquired taste. Did sing one of their best tracks in Nemo though.

There is a great video of Amaranth with Annette as the singer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 19:45

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 19:52

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison.

Thats cons kept not concept
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fergie  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 13:50

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 23 Apr 19:49

Yes album, saw them playing it at the Kinema 1971, superb musicians playing prog rock.

Wow never realised that Yes played the Kinema, Thanks for that. Gem of a fact Lochgelly. I have seen yes several times and followed them since the 70s. Loved their stuff
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 17:02

Go to Kinemagigz website, you will see we were treated to the best, including The Who 4 times!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Mon 29 Apr 20:45

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Marillion - Brave
Rush - Hemispheres
Savatage - Streets
Savatage - Gutter Ballet
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:47

Yoshimi battles the pink robots by The Flaming Lips.

Genius.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:54

Songs for the deaf by Queens of the stoneage is another fabulous concept album. It sounds like you're listening to the radio for the whole album.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 11:56

Stay Human by Michael Franti.

The album is set in a radio station where two announcers discuss the forthcoming execution of a nun. The commentary is interspersed with some really funky tracks by Franti and his band. An unusual approach, but well worth a listen if you haven't already.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 09:52

King Crimson
In the Court of the Crimson King.
As strange an album as you can get.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 10 May 16:53

Quote:

OzPar, Tue 7 May 11:56

Stay Human by Michael Franti.

The album is set in a radio station where two announcers discuss the forthcoming execution of a nun. The commentary is interspersed with some really funky tracks by Franti and his band. An unusual approach, but well worth a listen if you haven't already.

So much this.....
If you get the chance to see live do so, incredibly good.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 22:53

Rasta, I couldn't agree more. I've seen Michael Franti in concert three times now down here in Oz and each time it has been a joyful occasion.

Moviescot, I wouldn't describe that King Crimson album as strange, more as overwhelming. It is the perfect accompaniment when on a long drive in the car - it will keep you alert and awake. The Court of the Crimson King sits right up near the top of my Spotify account.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sat 11 May 06:56

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 10 May 22:53

Rasta, I couldn't agree more. I've seen Michael Franti in concert three times now down here in Oz and each time it has been a joyful occasion.

Moviescot, I wouldn't describe that King Crimson album as strange, more as overwhelming. It is the perfect accompaniment when on a long drive in the car - it will keep you alert and awake. The Court of the Crimson King sits right up near the top of my Spotify account.

Yeah agree, really uplifting experience, he had my mum up on stage once and it was beautiful, the man's a class act.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 11:09

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 10 May 22:53

Yes. It took me a while to get into it. Anytime I play it to someone for the first time though they call it a bit strange.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Sun 12 May 20:43

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 12 May 22:27

I bought the re-issue version of “War of the Worlds” CD which had the additional so called bonus tracks.

Not convinced that added anything of artistic value to the original album.

Folsom Prison was Johnny Cash’s first recorded jail album, the (probably) better recognised San Quentin album followed the next year.

Cash had previously performed at SQ in the late 1950s when inmate Merle Haggard was in the audience.

Years later JC persuaded Haggard not to deny his criminal past as his star status in Country Music was developing. They remained friends for life.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net