DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Blackadder
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 10:14

Making a return to our screens with a 5th series, seeing Edmund as a lecturer.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5399/blackadder_series_5

Good or bad idea ?

Still think the fourth series was one of the best ever made although not a fan of the first and third. The one off specials a bit ropey too.

Just hope it's not going to be another Still Game.

The good old days

Post Edited (Mon 01 Jul 10:15)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Blackadder
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 10:27

Always a risk bringing back a classic. If they get it right it could be tremendous but anything less than its previous high standards could leave folk feeling a bit meh.

Could be hard to live up to the hype that will inevitably come with it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 11:22

Has all the makings of a flop.

Rowan Atkinson hasn't done anything of note in 10 years or more - Johnnie English may have made money at the box office but both films were an embarrassment to endure and I am pretty sure Atkinson would admit that too privately.

The way you describe it, it sounds like Atkinson is doing this solo. Perhaps guest appearances from the previous main characters? Blackadder was certainly a tremendous proving ground for the actors. Fry and Laurie have gone on to great things elsewhere and Tony Robinson has carved a good career with history docos. However, the last time I saw the other guy, Tim McInerney, was in Notting Hill, which must be 20 years ago.

I can't help but think that Blackadder was of its time and that it will be well nigh impossible to revive the humour and energy of the original shows.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 14:13

Will only work if Tony comes back as Baldrick imo. This is good news but will have to see how much they try and change from the original format. Seasons 2 and 4 are honestly some of the best comedy shows for me. Can't be easy making a comedy show set in the trenches but they did it. Wonder if Richard Curtis will be back to write it too
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 14:26

According to "Esquire" online....
The Mr Bean actor will team up with his original co-stars Tony Robinson, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laure, in a new series of Blackadder which takes place in a modern-day setting.
No idea how reliable Esquire are... But just for info

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 14:28

Although seeing as they spelt Laurie wrong it could be less than accurate 🤔

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 14:39

Love the show but feel its a mistake to bring it back. Hope im wrong though.

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 18:29

Maybe they have a cunning plan...
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 19:51

Risk isn't a dirty word. Crevice, now there's a dirty word. But risk isn't.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 20:10

Scraping the barrel.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 20:50

Welcome to .Net 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 21:12

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 1 Jul 20:50

Welcome to .Net 😉

I'm pretty sure that Jake's response isnt the first time that particular piece of feedback has been levelled in my direction....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 21:54

Haha. I was referring to the bringing back of Blackadder. It's rare to see a show return after a lengthy absence. The recent series of Red Dwarf have been pretty good but series 7 and 8 were pretty forgettable.

I'm struggling to think of anything that's made a decent return. Did they not do an awful one-off of Ab-Fab?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Tue 2 Jul 14:15

The Likely Lads came back after eight years as Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads and was even better.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 2 Jul 14:41

Red Dwarf had a pretty bad comeback season a few years ago, but the subsequent season was back to their best. The Jesus of Nazareth episode was brilliant
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 12:06

I think it was because Doug Naylor was so obsessed with film rather than TV. It's only been recently that they got back to filming in front of a live audience. For whatever reason that seems to have improved it massively. Still a shame that Rob Grant isn't involved.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 16:25

Quote:

jake89, Wed 3 Jul 12:06

I think it was because Doug Naylor was so obsessed with film rather than TV. It's only been recently that they got back to filming in front of a live audience. For whatever reason that seems to have improved it massively. Still a shame that Rob Grant isn't involved.

Books were funnier. Often caught myself laughing out loud as on the bus when I was younger.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 16:42

The original books were pretty much an expansion on the TV episodes. Excellent reads. The individual ones afterwards (Backwards and Last Human) weren't as good imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 19:03

Quote:

moviescot, Wed 3 Jul 16:25

Quote:

jake89, Wed 3 Jul 12:06

Books were funnier. Often caught myself laughing out loud as on the bus when I was younger.

I was never one for reading books as thought it was a chore. Last book I read was trainspotting before I had seen the film. Needless to say the morning after scene of needing to wash the bed sheets was worth the read.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net