DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Next time you think China is bad...
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 11:29

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/18/facial-recognition-is-now-rampant-implications-for-our-freedom-are-chilling

Just remember we were subject to the highest levels of CCTV coverage until they overtook us and you bet your mortgage that we'll be subject to unfettered facial recognition screening.

Even some US cities have begun banning it's use even if just on the public sector side just now:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/oakland-city-follows-san-franciscos-lead-in-banning-facial-recognition-tech/

Not only is the potential use of the technology pretty shady it's still got a large error rate at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Next time you think China is bad...
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 11:46

Next time you think China is bad....... remember they are probably much worse than you think.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 11:53

Just wait till the DWP start accessing it, they seemingly have an agreement in Manchester already.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 11:57

We've always been one of the worst for mass surveillance of the populace. They might be worse in a lot respects at the moment but they're further down their application of facial recognition technology.

We're not blocking or regulating the technology's use so we could well end up heading in the same direction in a lot of respects. Credit scores augmented by data collected from facial recognition technology? Can't get a mortgage because you were detected going in to a pub more often than a "safe" credit risk would visit a pub?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 13:06

I'll suggest that China is every bit as advanced as we are in terms of implenting this technology. The difference is in China they don't have a free press to report on it.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 13:47

They're past in terms of technical capability. My point is you dont want us heading in the same direction but that's the way we'll end up heading.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 15:52

China was heading in our direction with CCTV - they just overtook us.

We're both fixed in the same direction - as much government surveillance as they can get away with.

The free press only becomes an issue if it is done openly but Snowden's leak showed that it's not always so.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net