DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Commercial Inn
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 10:05

Notice on the door of the pub states it’s now closed.
I understand from a friend in the pub trade that owner Les is / has been ill.

A great shame if this was a permanent closure. It’s been a favourite haunt of mine and friends for a long time, since The Postgate days; hoping Les is ok.

On a separate note the former PO building across the road has been bought by the Adamsons ~ another pub / hotel in the making?

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Commercial Inn
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 10:18

Quote:

buffy, Thu 19 Sep 10:05

On a separate note the former PO building across the road has been bought by the Adamsons ~ another pub / hotel in the making?

I'm sure it was in the Press this week saying it is going to be a beauty salon

[IMG]https://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 10:41

Quote:

parak obama, Thu 19 Sep 10:18

Quote:

I'm sure it was in the Press this week saying it is going to be a beauty salon

Another one? The town is just hair dressers, beauty salons and cheap tat shops nowadays. Awful place to shop for anything
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 11:50

sadly expected after being cash only and minimal stock available for last couple of weeks.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 13:31

Quote:

Notice on the door of the pub states it’s now closed.
I understand from a friend in the pub trade that owner Les is / has been ill.

A great shame if this was a permanent closure. It’s been a favourite haunt of mine and friends for a long time, since The Postgate days; hoping Les is ok.

The Adamsons must own about every boozer in Dunfermline these days. They are doing very well for themselves in an age where many Publicans are struggling to make an honest living
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 16:15

The toon is murder. This is just another nail in the coffin. A great pub gone
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 16:22

That's really sad.

Last time I was in, they didn't have a till, and were putting cash in a cardboard box behind the bar. Half the taps were off. Should have seen it coming I suppose.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 17:01

That is really sad news.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 17:31

Be really surprised if this is the last we see if the Commercial. It's a great pub and well loved. Sad if this is due to the owner being ill. Hopefully they're better soon.

If it's being taken over then I would hope they keep it as a place to get a decent pint of ale rather than a generic Greene King/Belhaven job.

I thought the hair salon was going in the old toilet block along from the Commercial on Queen Anne Street?

Sadly, town centre retail is dying on its backside. It's more about leisure now - restaurants, hairdressers, nail bars, pubs, art galleries, theatres etc. Here's hoping the Alhambra pull of their plans for a studio with art house cinema in the old Watt and Dewar building.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 18:41

If the council set reasonable rates, then we might see a few more retailers having half a chance?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 19:10

Business rates are set by the Scottish Government based on the rateable value. I'd imagine there are plenty of discounts dished out around Dunfermline and Fife as a whole.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 19 Sep 21:34

So many beauty salons and so many ugly women.....something is not right.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 05:38

Plenty of tidy burds kicking about the toon. None of them speak english though. A bonus really.

Post Edited (Fri 20 Sep 12:51)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 07:06

Press reporting it now. Probably lifted the story from Buffy's post.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 10:07

New owners announced for the old De Brus bar and brewery down canmore street. Appretite there for opening venues again hopefully similar good fortune for the commercial

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 10:11

Seems the post office is sold but there's no details about potential usage. Still convinced I read one half of the toilets is to be a beauty salon or hairdressers. The top level of the old Woolworths/What everyone wants is to be a soft play.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 10:23

I thought the top level of Woolworths was now the British Heart Foundation?

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 10:31

yeah heart foundation furniture place with Ballroom (old Reillys) above that

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 14:04

There's 2 floors of pool hall. The back of the building is taller than the front. Across from Giacomo's is a wee door that looks like a fire escape. Apparently behind it is a lift (probably from when it was Woolies) and that goes up to the top floor.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 15:07

Sad news, many a good night in commercial. And that one bad one I had on a pub golf.

Is Ballroom doing well? dont stay in dunf now so membership long expired. Good wee place.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Fri 20 Sep 21:08

Jake
The wee door was a fire escape for the levels above, no lift in the building at the moment although there is a shaft on the far side that will probably be used for the soft play(?).Poundstretchers/bank comes right below BHF, two floors of pool hall above BHF and a roof with great views and phone masts. My meeting room in BHF was where the original Woolies escalator came up. Loads of nooks and crannies and original features behind the scenes with some big spiders too. Supposedly haunted but seen nothing myself. Glad to see Queen Anne St getting development but the commercial is a big loss.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Sep 11:57

Cheers Shrek. That's interesting to know. They should do tours of this sort of thing. Imagine a final tour round the old Co-op building. I'm *ahem* too young to remember it being open but it was obviously a massive part of the town. Shame the plans for the gap site never came to fruition.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 21 Sep 12:21

I can just about remember a kids Xmas party in the big co-op hall.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBS  
Date:   Sat 21 Sep 14:22

I am old enough to remember the Commercial as the Douglas Hotel, there was also a lounge bar upstairs with a seperate entrance on Douglas st ( now blocked up). The supposed beauty salon that has planning permission is for another post office/shop on the corner of Couston st / Appin Cres, the original doorway will be for the salon and the window in Couston st will be converted into a door to a much smaller shop. The soft play area is above the Ballroom and the access will be via an old fire escape doorway on Cross Wynd and will be operated by the same people who own the Ballroom. The old toilets in Queen Anne st are also being converted into two restaurants, I'm sure the old "ladies" is going to be a take away and the old "gents" is going to be a sit in. Again the planning applications are from the same people that run the Ballroom. Re the Commercial, wouldn't it be ideal if someone like Brewdog took it over? Interesting news from Buffy regards the Main Post Office , could be an ideal spot for a Boutique hotel.

Post Edited (Sun 22 Sep 17:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hail2Crail  
Date:   Sat 21 Sep 15:43

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jan 13:50

having re-opened will close on friday for around 3 weeks for some renovation work.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Mon 6 Jan 18:28

Hopefully the loos...genuinely an absolute toilet.

Fine upstairs though, so hope changes there are minimal.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net