DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Bad News
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 14:19

Why is it that we're constantly told that we like bad news, that it's good TV, sells newspapers and it's what folk want to see and hear? I certainly don't and I can't believe I'm somehow unique, in all of this.

TV news bulletins are almost always full of bad news and only very occasionally, there's a lighter or humorous item tagged on at the very end. In press versions, a feel good story may appear somewhere after Page 5 or 6. More and more I find myself avoiding newspapers and switching off TV news programmes, not because I want to pretend that all is well with the world, but because they're too depressing. The horrific violence being played out in northern Syria at the moment, causing death and injury to thousands of innocent victims, is just another example.

Maybe I'm just going through another Victor Meldrew moment, but there are some horrible people in positions of power, making equally horrible decisions, with devastating consequences.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Bad News
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 14:25

Well I think we should have a "good news" channel oan the telly.
That would balance it out.
You're welcome 🤣

Admin

Post Edited (Wed 16 Oct 14:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 18:25

Apparently they did a good news paper back in the 70s and it went down like a lead balloon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 19:00

I've got to admit I used to read several newspapers regularly but I have given up on them recently. I actually don't trust the media, they all have an agenda, and the way that the same story can be spun depending on the newspaper is unbelievable. Journalism is at a very low point at the moment. I was actually discussing this at work yesterday and said what I would like to see is a newspaper/ news website that just gives me the news presented as the facts only, with no spin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 20:11

Thought this was a wind up at first but SKY have a new Brexit Free news channel on 523.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 22:23

It is depressing at times especially Reporting Scotland Down in the evenings. They love a bad Scotland story.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 22:35

Can I have a Joanna Cherry free channel please.🙏
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 22:41

Quote:

parbucks, Wed 16 Oct 22:35

Wish we could have a parbucks free dafc.net
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 22:58

So you want a dafc.net full of Nat sychophants?

Welcome to the new wee Burney world. Roll on the new/ neverendum referendum.

Gie us peace!

Post Edited (Wed 16 Oct 23:01)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 23:23

I just get sick of your constantly negative attitude. Bet you are a right laugh at parties
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 23:29

“Negative attitude “

I assume because you are intolerant of those opinions you disagree with.
How sad.

Strangely, I am very positive about the future of the U.K. free from the shackles of the EU. How about you?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 23:42

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 02:35

As some others have said, the "news" these days appears to be slanted one way or another. Very few news outlets provide factual information and let the reader / viewer decide based on those facts.
Most "news" items are re-hashed press releases.

Our loss of interest in what is happening around us is good news for some in power, in that they take our non-protest as being support or agreement with their policies.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 07:40

Quote:

parbucks, Wed 16 Oct 22:35

You probably would have if you're beloved party weren't liars, she's just to clever for you England lovers
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 07:44

Reporting Scotland’s political heavyweights are Brian Taylor and Glen Campbell.
Taylor is an old buddy of Salmond, and at a press conference Sturgeon gave Campbell a wee pat on the head in passing.
Indy supporters from their heids to their Saltire socks the pair of them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 08:18

Quote:

Mario, Thu 17 Oct 07:44

Reporting Scotland’s political heavyweights are Brian Taylor and Glen Campbell.
Taylor is an old buddy of Salmond, and at a press conference Sturgeon gave Campbell a wee pat on the head in passing.
Indy supporters from their heids to their Saltire socks the pair of them.

Great news, think Colin Mackay is independence minded also, so a bit of support from the STV, all looking good.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 09:23

It would be strange if people who were interested enough in politics to make a career reporting it didn't have political leanings. I wonder if a neutral observer who knew nothing of a reporter's background could detect his/her political persuasion from the way he/she conducted an interview, say?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 09:49

No quibble with that, but to imply that the BBC up here are biased against the Seps when the Beeb staff canteen is hooching with Saltire twirlers is utterly risible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 10:07

Well, I know nothing about the backgrounds of Taylor or Campbell and would not say their political leanings were obvious from their broadcasts. All political parties seem to think broadcasters are biased against them. Ruth Davidson was a BBC reporter before she entered politics but I don't remember thinking she was favouring Tories in her broadcasts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 10:51

Fair enough, I actually think the Beeb up here are more neutral than the totally anti Brexit London HQ.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 18 Oct 13:35

I occasionally tune-in to Radio Scotland on the internet and to all intents and purposes, it doesn't sound all that different to what it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago. To be honest, I don't think the news programmes come across as overtly biased in any direction politically.

Radio 4 on the other hand...
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net