DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Milan
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 18 Oct 18:53

Heading over in a couple of weeks for 4 nights and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do, places to see, scran and the occasional beer (occasional = numerous) etc.

Going to the San Siro and also looking at potential day trips to any of Turin, Genoa, Florence and the lakes but any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Have been to Verona and Venice before so not looking to head that way as we'd prefer to see something new.

Spent a day there a few years back so have done some of the stuff in the centre.

Thanks in advance folks!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Milan
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Fri 18 Oct 19:48

Was in Milan in March for day/night but sadly can't mind names of the pubs I visited.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Oct 19:54

Sounds like a good night then 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 18 Oct 21:59

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 18 Oct 18:53

Heading over in a couple of weeks for 4 nights and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do, places to see, scran and the occasional beer (occasional = numerous) etc.

Going to the San Siro and also looking at potential day trips to any of Turin, Genoa, Florence and the lakes but any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Have been to Verona and Venice before so not looking to head that way as we'd prefer to see something new.

Spent a day there a few years back so have done some of the stuff in the centre.

Thanks in advance folks!

We were in Milan about 2 and a half years ago now and it was a pretty good city. I enjoyed it.

We done a few of the touristy things but would highly recommend Duomo Cathedral, was a stunning building and the tour and the layout and architecture was amazing.
San Siro was a good day out as well, we went when Inter pumped Atalanta 7-1 and was a really good game. Stadium looks better from the outside and is pretty run down inside but you can get a beer at your seat which was a novelty.

They love a Tennents Super Lager over there and it is generally sold in most cafes and restaurants which I thought was bizarre.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Fri 18 Oct 22:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 18 Oct 22:06

Sorry just realised you said further afield. Ignore my post.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 18 Oct 22:08

You defo need to go and see the Duomo. Amazing piece of architecture.

Bus and trams are a great way to get around the city.

We went to go to go some park but faced some biblical rain and then my wife got stung by a bee. I cant recommend that part of the Milan experience.

Florence is my personal favourite in Italy. It has an amazing feel to it, for me anyway.

Como is braw. I've only been past Maggiore on the train but it is gorgeous.

Train is a fantastic way to travel over there.

Post Edited (Fri 18 Oct 22:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 05:45

You may wish to consider Siena, Bologna and Pisa, lpf. In each case, the sights worth seeing are located in a small radius, so you can visit them on foot and in a short time. Agree with the poster who advises travel by rail. If you book up early enough (Trenitalia) you can get some really cheap deals. (Economy or Supereconomy.)

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 06:55

Only spent a day there on an excursion from Lake Garda.
La Scala Opera house, the Cathedral, also the glass roofed Galleria all very interesting. The latter is the oldest shopping mall in Italy, the place where the elegant well dressed locals go to see and be seen. Sadly the chap who built it fell off the roof so didn’t live long enough to revel in his achievement...
Not forgetting of course the church that houses the Last Supper but you can forget that unless you book yonks ahead!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 07:59

Florence is a must , been a few times, awesome.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 08:26

Worth checking where the Italo first class lounges are. We ended up using them in some cases which meant free scran and Prosecco. It wasnt monitored so you could end up getting merry if you want to.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 14:05

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Was definitely going to go by train and had seen that the upgrades weren't too expensive if you book in advance.

Sounds like we cant really lose in terms of destination we go for. Thanks again everyone.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 18:43

Definitely a day trip to Florence, intercity train service is superb. Pre book the museum though or you could be waiting a long time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 19:11

If you think about going to Florence then I can recommend this place....the food is delicious.

https://cinghialebianco.com/home-english/

We wandered in on our first night as we were staying along the road. They were full. But they had a separate room in their sister restaurant through the back and we had that to ourselves for around half an hour.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Oct 11:42

Been to Florence couple of times.
Wonderful architecture, steeped in history, and an art lover’s paradise.
Although after about 500 wall size paintings and frescos of disciples, angels, cherubs, and everything else heavenly and holy, you start longing for one of a misty mountain and a highland coo...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 20 Oct 18:56

Me too Mario. Would thoroughly recommend the climb to the top of the duomo. I was knackered but it was worth it. Like GG I also loved Siena and spent a fantastic day in Lucca during a brilliant 2 week holiday on the coast in Viareggio.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Oct 12:06

Yes, also spent a day in Lucca. Got train from Florence.
Walked all round the city walls, but got a bit lost after descending to ground level, some of the narrow streets are a maze.
Enjoyed visit to Puccini’s birthplace and the museum, not a heavy opera buff (except round the middle) but do like his work - Tosca, la Boheme etc
Must get to Verona for a performance in the amphitheater some day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Oct 12:07

edit: deleted. Double post!

Post Edited (Mon 21 Oct 12:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 21 Oct 13:11

Milan is one of my favourite cities. As well as the usual sights such as the Duomo, Galleria Vittoria Emanuele, etc. it's worth checking out the Navigli canal district (get the metro line 2 to Porto Genova) where there are nice bars and cafes, as well as canal tours etc.

Further afield, Genoa is quite nice but not as touristy, with little narrow alleyways and elevators and funiculars up to the top of the hills above the city. The Cinque Terre can be reached from there although I'm not sure how often the boats etc. will be running at this time of year.

Bergamo is an easy day trip from Milan, it's about an hour away on the local train or bus then from the new town there is a bus or a mile or so walk to the funicular up to the old town, which is lovely. There is another funicular at the far end to get right above the city with great views over the plains of Northern Italy.

Florence etc. as above are all doable in a day via train but you won't be doing Firenze any justice if you only do a day trip IMO. You need to have a good three days or something there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 21 Oct 13:25

I too would recommend Bergamo. It's an easy train ride from Milan, close to the Alps and quite pretty.

I went there by mistake in 2013 thanks to my son's complete inability to read a map and was very pleasantly surprised.

:)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net