DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Drug Driving
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 15:38

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/drug-drivers-warned-could-face-20707113

With the new laws coming into force at the start of the week it seems the police finally have the kit to start dealing with this menace. No idea how long some of these drugs stay in the systems but it must surely give pause to those who use these substances and then get behind the wheel.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Drug Driving
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 16:45

While I agree with drug drivers facing prosecution there are serious doubts over the reliability of to roadside tests.
5% of tests show a false positive.
We will end up with innocent people getting banned and if a death is involved in a car accident even if not your fault a false positive test could see you in prison.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 16:52

I find driving to be a lot more interesting when I’m off my chebs. Killjoys.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 17:14

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Fri 25 Oct 16:45

While I agree with drug drivers facing prosecution there are serious doubts over the reliability of to roadside tests.
We will end up with innocent people getting banned and if a death is involved in a car accident even if not your fault a false positive test could see you in prison.

Wont the roadside tests be supplemented by a more accurate station-based test?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 25 Oct 17:48

Like drink driving. Will need to do further tests at station

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 15:13

Quote:

ipswichpar, Fri 25 Oct 17:14

Quote:

You would hope so but innocent people have been jailed in America because of these tests.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sat 26 Oct 20:51

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Sat 26 Oct 15:13

Quote:

ipswichpar, Fri 25 Oct 17:14

Quote:

You would hope so but innocent people have been jailed in America because of these tests.

No roadsidw test can be used in court. They must be backed up by full test at the station. This is the same as drunk driving.

As ever if you fail to provide at the station you will be charged with that offence
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 01:53

Roadside testing for drug-drivers has been in place in Australia for a number of years (and here you don't need to be specifically suspected or in a traffic incident).
There has been recent debate about the accuracy of the roadside drug testing devices, with studies showing a false negative rate of between 9 - 16%, and false positive rates of between 5 - 10%.

Interestingly, scientists have questioned the adopted linear relationship that is applied for drug use and driver impairment. For example, taking THC via capsule will result in a negative result but impairment may exist, whilst passive smoking would likely return a positive result with no impairment.
The limit / impairment for alcohol seems to be more accepted by experts.
Similarly, it has been argued that drivers 'impaired' by THC are usually more cautious in their driving, but could be slower to react in some circumstances.

I have been roadside tested many times (it is not uncommon here and is usually a large number of police testing almost all drivers at a particular location over a number of hours). The police always do an initial breath test for alcohol, but I have never been tested for drugs. I'm thinking it is probably due to my (apparent) age, but knowing a few of my friends, the police shouldn't adopt that approach in all cases.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 03:11

Yes, I agree with GG on the Australian experience. I too have been randomly tested a few times in the past three or four years. I am not sure if age is an issue here, as around these parts the old fogey brigade are just as likely to be tested as the youngies.

I heard somewhere that cannabis can be detected a week after smoking a joint. If true, a good number in my beachside neighbourhood should be concerned...

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Mon 28 Oct 05:37

Strathclyde Police trialled the Drugwipe and Cozart (saliva swab) technology in 1999/2000 as part of a UK trial. Appalling that it has taken 20 years to get to this stage.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net