DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 People in poverty..
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 22:23

Just watched the news. While I believe some folks ,are in poverty, the people in this item, were 4 times fatter than me.Really ?

Post Edited (Wed 04 Dec 22:37)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: People in poverty..
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 22:30

100 posts.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 22:30

Quote:

twin par, Wed 4 Dec 22:23

Just watched the news. While I believe some folks ,are in poverty, the people in this item, were 4 times fatter than me.Really.!

The cheap food is the food that is full of fat and sugar.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 22:46

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 22:57

Oh aye, EVERYONE is going about boasting about how they visit the footbanks, while they use Fifty Pound notes to light their Cuban Cigars and sip on some Dom Perignon. Some folk on here are well out of touch with the issues facing a shameful proportion of the population in the UK
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 23:10

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 23:30

Are 135,000 homeless children scamming the system too?

And you can't really scam foodbanks. You have to be referred.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 12:01

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 13:05

While you must be referred to a foodbank there is no system behind it. So many services,staff and voluntary agencies provide vouchers, no checks are carried out to how many each person has been given. Speak to foodbank volunteers, they have some stories to tell on how its being abused now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 14:25

I think wherever there are benefits of any kind its almost inevitable that a small proportion of the population will try to get one over on the system so I can well believe there are some people that are at it.

The glaringly obvious way to stop that though is to implement social policies that remove the need for food banks anyway.

Nobody can scam the system if there is no system to scam and we would have the added bonus of actually helping people out of a pretty scandalous situation.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 14:42

"No coincidence that the use of food banks has increased since the rise in minimum alcohol has been introduced."

Er the rest of the UK doesn't have minimum alcohol pricing and the rate of food bank usage in England and Wales is increasing as well.

This map tries to track the areas most at risk and it coincides that the poorer areas of England need food banks the most:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/food-banks-areas-most-needed-mapped-uk-food-poverty-mental-health-a8199391.html
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 15:41

"And they call this country Great Britain........there is nothing great about it."

I believe the origins of the term Great in Great Britain are unconnected to any description of pre-eminence etc.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 16:23

Quote:

dafc, Thu 5 Dec 13:05

Speak to foodbank volunteers, they have some stories to tell on how its being abused now.

I am a referrer so I have. You have to in order to go on the training they provide.

I refer clients when they have no food.

Sometimes, but very rarely, that's because they spent their food money on drink or fake Xanax but I'm the referer and I have the person's full story and the skill to interpret it appropriately. whilst the foodbank volunteers are usually lovely they don't know the clients' story and even if they did, it takes a lot of experience to know how to interpret what is being said.

People lie in all sorts if bizarre ways, especially when substance use and/or poor mental health are involved.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 16:51

Same old same old people of here spouting their utter guff. Some disgusting comments on here
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 17:16

When I was mentally ill and on benefits I sometimes went 3 days with only a jar of mustard that I'd have a scoop of every now and then to try a trick my body into thinking it is eating.
No doubt some on here would begrudge me the mustard.
Don't worry, I wasn't doing anything decadent like heating my home.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 17:24

I would go whole weeks without stepping foot outside in daylight or speaking to another human.

Because of that I was able to survive on benefits, but only in the summer. I froze in winter because benefits don't pay enough to be comfortable in the cold. 2010 nearly bankrupted me.

You get cold weather payments, but only if the temperature drops below zero for seven days in a row, which is actually quite rare going by the low number of £20 giros that dropped through my door back in the day.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 17:40

Quote:

renegade master, Wed 4 Dec 23:10

No red star par, I visit these homes and get told by the residents, spend a day in my shoes and I will open your eyes. These are term system scamas who are taking every benefit going with cars on the drive and every mod con going!

Hopefully you've read the follow on comments and reflect on your right wing views.
No need for the dig at the Scottish government who are trying to address the issues
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 23:22

Worth noting that the majority of those in poverty are in work. It's only around 1/3 who are unemployed. We are a nation of working poor.

As someone who has been involved in the research around Minimum Unit Pricing I'll highlight that there is no evidence of people turning to food banks as a result of MUP. That's not to say there aren't example, simply that the existing reports don't point to this being an outcome.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 23:39

Quote:

jake89, Thu 5 Dec 23:22

Worth noting that the majority of those in poverty are in work. It's only around 1/3 who are unemployed. We are a nation of working poor.

We have a few dozen more billionaires now though, so it balances out in the end. Trickle-up economics.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 09:27

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/50663879/general-election-2019-how-do-grimsby-s-food-bank-users-want-to-vote
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 13:43

It's beggars belief to see a guy there say how things bad are and then end by saying he'll vote for "Boris". FFS...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 16:15

Quote :-

Topic Originator: jake89 like | nolike
Date: Fri 6 Dec 13:43

It's beggars belief to see a guy there say how things bad are and then end by saying he'll vote for "Boris". FFS...

Thats why I posted it jake89 ..... It just highlights how feked up most ordinary folk are on who to vote for .....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 17:20

I was off work today so I popped down to Tesco's to buy some stuff to donate to the local food Bank( BPA are having a collection at our game with Altrincham tomorrow ). As I was walking around the store I was thinking how bad our society has got when we need food banks. I also was thinking how many people use the banks because they need to and how many because they can.I live in a city where it is relatively cheap to live so I have always found it hard to believe that folk would need food banks.i totally believe in the welfare state but I also believe that whoever gets into power at the election they need to put a lot more time and resources into finding the source of the problems.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Dec 11:51

By our old house the local library used to deal with the food bank referrals. I'd be in for book bug and you see families sheepishly come and and be sent through a door to collect their parcels. They were there because they were poor, not because they were feckless idiots. The feckless idiots are the ones in suits sat in Westminster fiddling whilst Rome burns.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Dec 09:42

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/darren-henry-broxtowe-foodbanks-payday-loans-1-6414132

Fortunately for us the men-of-the-people are on the case and are constantly putting forward progressive solutions to help people in poverty.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 8 Dec 11:00

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sun 8 Dec 09:42

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/darren-henry-broxtowe-foodbanks-payday-loans-1-6414132

Fortunately for us the men-of-the-people are on the case and are constantly putting forward progressive solutions to help people in poverty.

Doesn't even know he's despised by his party....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 8 Dec 11:33

What a dork.

That's a very marginal seat - what a self inflicted wound by the Tory candidate.

"Doesn't even know he's despised by his party.."

Says a lot about his local constituency party to select him as their runner.

Post Edited (Sun 08 Dec 12:32)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Dec 13:01

I've just read that a Canadian study has found that half of the homeless or vulnerably housed population has had a traumatic brain injury at some point in their lives.

I wouldn't be surprised if the story was similar here.

There's also a much greater prevalence of the symptoms of autism among folk who are homeless.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Dec 14:06

Canada treats it's homeless terribly. If you think begging is bad here, just take a look around Vancouver. The richest and poorest postcodes in Canada are there. Pan handlers on every corner, folk pushing trolleys about and digging through bins for cans and bottles to recycle.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 17:30

One small glimmer of hope is that there are still some good people out there.

Since that BBC report aired, nearly £30k has been raised for the food bank and the lady who was in temporary accommodation. The lady is directing the money raised for her to the food bank who in turn are helping arrange a deposit for new accommodation for her and her son and will use the rest to help others.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-just-14p-name-deposit-21043438
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net