DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Life sentences
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 13:06

How is it possible to be handed 33 life sentences with a minimum sentence of 30 years?

What an absolutely ridiculous system.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Life sentences
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 16:07

Life sentences don't necessarily mean life in prison. They can be released on licence (parole) after the minimum term if they are deemed to be safe.

A whole life sentence is when someone is told, in advance, that they will never be released.

Makes sense to me: why keep someone locked up out spite, costing money, if they are no longer a risk to the public?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 16:40

Quote :-

Topic Originator: Wotsit like | nolike
Date: Mon 9 Dec 16:07

Life sentences don't necessarily mean life in prison. They can be released on licence (parole) after the minimum term if they are deemed to be safe.

A whole life sentence is when someone is told, in advance, that they will never be released.

Makes sense to me: why keep someone locked up out spite, costing money, if they are no longer a risk to the public?

Cannot agree with any of that Wotsit .....locked up out of spite ffs ?

This man should be put down never mind in gaol

Joseph McCann's victims were aged between 11 and 71 and included three women who were abducted off the street at knifepoint and repeatedly raped.

He was found guilty of 37 offences at the Old Bailey on Friday.
Mr Justice Edis said McCann, who must serve a minimum of 30 years, was "a threat to children" and "a paedophile".

The judge described him as a "classic psychopath" and called for an "independent and systematic" investigation into why "the system failed to protect" McCann's victims.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 9 Dec 22:31

Then his sentence allows for him to never be released.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 10 Dec 14:02

I think we would mostly agree that a character such as McCann should never be released. So just say that: i.e life imprisonment never to be released.

It seems we have gone down the American line of issuing sentences that are basically meaningless- the 'Life plus 99 years' sort of thing- that is presumably done to reassure the public that the system is tough on serious offenders.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Mon 16 Dec 17:58

Life sentences come with a tariff of years. This is the amount of years that HAS to be served before they can go to a parole board. There is 4 years of courses and paperwork to complete to get to that point. If refused then they have to do the 4 year period over again. The only way they will never get out is if they get an order of lifelong restriction. That pretty much means they will never be safe to get out of prison. People get confused with the years of a life sentence. If they parole board deem them unsafe then they could be in for life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: istvan kozma  
Date:   Mon 16 Dec 20:33

I got a life sentence the minute I signed up to this forum!

KOZMA

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 16 Dec 21:01

Quote:

pars no1, Mon 16 Dec 17:58

Life sentences come with a tariff of years. This is the amount of years that HAS to be served before they can go to a parole board. There is 4 years of courses and paperwork to complete to get to that point. If refused then they have to do the 4 year period over again. The only way they will never get out is if they get an order of lifelong restriction. That pretty much means they will never be safe to get out of prison. People get confused with the years of a life sentence. If they parole board deem them unsafe then they could be in for life.

I understand, but 33 life sentences and a minimum term of 30 years?!?

If he did get out at 30 that's less than one year per crime.

The law is an ass.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Mon 16 Dec 23:40

He will be in prison for his life. No parole board will release him. The problem you get with life sentences is it’s really hard to get a consecutive sentence. Most sentence will be concurrent. It is very hard for someone with a life sentence to get out. They have to prove they can be trusted. The slightest mishap and they go back to the beginning again. In this case the guy will never get out again.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net