DAFC.net
Home 23 February 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Coronavirus
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 09:43

First cases in U.K. Just been confirmed.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Coronavirus
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 10:24

I spoke to Singapore and the important day set in the Asian calendar is next week 6th February for countries outside China as this gives the real indication of the status of the virus, 2 weeks after the shutdown in Wuhan. Keep your fingers crossed that the reaction time was quick enough
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 13:55

I flew out of Bangkok on Wednesday and just about everyone in the very busy airport (including myself) was wearing a mask. I don't know how effective they are, but anyone who coughed was met with many questioning stares. It is easy to grasp how quickly mob panic could ensue from such a virus.

Glad to be home in Oz, despite the temperature being 42C today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 14:06

Worth noting that most masks don't keep germs from getting in, they are designed to stop germs getting out.

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 15:21

Also added to the fact that nobody knows how this is transmitted. It reduces the potential risk but that is all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 15:28

Don't worry, like all the other life ending diseases over the last 40 years it will disappear without a trace....

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 15:48

Not everything is a conspiracy Rasta.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 16:20

I'm actually intrigued as to what Rasta's theory is behind the Chinese Communist Party exaggerating the risk.

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jose_Mourinho  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 17:21

How are they going to stop it spreading? Ban all flights, no travel and everyone has to stay home? They won't do that, although I've heard that Hong Kong have closed all schools till March. Meant to be going to Thailand in 6 weeks for a wedding, better buy a hazmat suit!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 17:30

Quote:

Grant, Fri 31 Jan 15:48

Not everything is a conspiracy Rasta.

Not saying it is...in any way shape or form.

How many diseases have been going to wipe us all out world wide pandemic style in the last 40 years?

Quite the list and yet we have scientists talking population control....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 17:50

The other diseases didn't wipe us out because they were taken seriously and didn't spread. They might well have if the world didn't stop them.

It's a bit like the Millennium Bug - because the preventative work was done well nothing appeared to happen and loads of folk took that to mean there was no issue to begin with.

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel the warmth.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 17:56

Quote:

Wotsit, Fri 31 Jan 17:50

The other diseases didn't wipe us out because they were taken seriously and didn't spread. They might well have if the world didn't stop them.

It's a bit like the Millennium Bug - because the preventative work was done well nothing appeared to happen and loads of folk took that to mean there was no issue to begin with.

Regardless, it will disappear like the rest of them.
No need for all the hysteria.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 18:04

Think Rasta has a wee point here Chinese deaths 213 Chinese population 1.4 Billion !!....Also most of these types of virus tend to kill people with underlying health problems .... Heart, Respiratory etc .... I would still hope the UK medical team are prepared and confident that the Virus will not spread and kill the most vulnerable...... Time will tell
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 18:08

My son lives and works in China so while we're all worried, spoke to him yesterday and he seemed quite relaxed about the whole thing.

Post Edited (Fri 31 Jan 18:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 18:16

I’m with Rasta as well. Bird flu, swine flu, sars etc have had the media whipping the hysteria in recent years. The boy who cried Wolf springs to mind though. One of these times we’ll be in trouble but we’ll be that immune to the warnings we won’t give a monkeys.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 18:29

I sincerely hope so. I sat next to a guy on a flight from Schipol to Denmark last week who was wearing a face mask.
It was very disconcerting.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 19:23

You might notice that is isn't really the scientists making the fuss.

It's mostly coming from governments and the media.
Governments don't want to be criticised for not doing enough, and the media want to sell papers and get clicks.

One of two things is likely to happen in the coming months. Either the methods of control stop it from spreading and it starts to disappear, or it spreads everywhere and joins the list of common cold and flu viruses that circulate every year.

I think the latter is the most likely, and once we start to get more data we will probably realise that the case/fatality ratio is nowhere near as bad as it looks at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 31 Jan 19:27

As said above, these surgical masks won’t stop you from catching anything. They’ll stop fluids escaping into the atmosphere from your own nose or mouth but that’s about it. A lot of infections/viruses aren’t caught by breathing them in anyway. If anyone has been through a face fitting course for things as simple as dust masks you’ll realise how useless these hankies on elastic actually are.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 02:42

This virus has a fatality rate of around 2%.
So it is fairly serious.
The Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918 resulted in the death of between 50 and 100 million people. The fatality rate for that was only slightly higher than Coronavirus.
It's not one we want spreading everywhere.
On a brighter note SARS had a fatality rate of 11% but only 774 people died from it due to the control measures that limited the numbers catching it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 15:43

Surprising how flippant some folk can be about so many lost lives. Glad governments are taking it seriously.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 16:10

Don't think anyone is being flippant just realistic. More people have died from malaria worldwide since the game kicked off just over an hour ago than have died from the corona virus ever. Doesn't quite get the same media coverage though when it's thousands dying everyday. It just becomes the norm.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 16:20

The symptoms are literally the same as what you would experience after catching Influenza. Deaths have pretty much exclusively been older people or those whose immune system would already be compromised. Not worried in the slightest.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 23:43

Quote:

Andrew283, Sat 1 Feb 16:20

The symptoms are literally the same as what you would experience after catching Influenza. Deaths have pretty much exclusively been older people or those whose immune system would already be compromised. Not worried in the slightest.

Good for you.
I know lots of wonderful old folk and vulnerable folk and Whenever there is anything like this going round. I worry for them.
Im guessing you don't have anyone in those categories in your immediate circle.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 23:48

How is that different than flu season twice per year? Weather changes, old people get ill and don't have the immunoresponse to deal with it and die. Tragic but it happens every year and nobody panics about Influenza which most people contract atleast once a year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 00:07

Yep. I worry about the flu every year too and Im getting closer to that vulnerable category every year. This virus will be a further threat but hey ho if you aren't, "Concerned in the slightest"eh! Nice.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 00:08

Quote:

Andrew283, Sat 1 Feb 23:48

How is that different than flu season twice per year? Weather changes, old people get ill and don't have the immunoresponse to deal with it and die. Tragic but it happens every year and nobody panics about Influenza which most people contract atleast once a year.

I certainly worry when flu is about. I am in the vulnerable category and although I get my jab every year it is still a worry when stuff like this comes close to your door. In Thailand here a normally fit taxi driver caught it from a passenger and during a recent trip last week I read a hotel receptionist caught the virus too.
Maybe when you yourself have an underlying issue you will be wary of where you go etc.

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 00:57

Topic Originator: sadindiefreak like | nolike
Date: Sat 1 Feb 02:42

This virus has a fatality rate of around 2%.
So it is fairly serious.
The Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918 resulted in the death of between 50 and 100 million people. The fatality rate for that was only slightly higher than Coronavirus.
It's not one we want spreading everywhere.

Your maths are a bit off, the correct rate was between 15-25% depending on the country.

2% at 100m would be 5billion infectious, that’s everyone in the planet getting it at least twice.

The main reason for the high rate was the second wave which was particularly bad but also corespondent with huge troop movements, which had the opposite effect of normal infectious. Normally as the disease evolves it effects less people as when it becomes more deadly it is therefore transferred to less people.

Personally I think this is just all scaremongering, I went to Hong Kong during the SARS, probably safer than crossing the road in India.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 06:28

Have they stopped rioting in Hong Kong yet? No hearing much about that anymore...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 08:36

Yeah sorry, just not buying into the usual "We're all gonna die better get your untested vaccine " bull that gets spewed out by the media.
And I'll tell you what's flippant, all those deaths from regular flu every year, no thread got them eh, no just those that get the hysterical foreign virus....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 14:44

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died.20 Jun 2019

Coronavirus is a spit in the ocean compared to the above stats.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 15:11

I guess concern is what would happen if 42 million people contracted the corona virus.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jose_Mourinho  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 15:46

Apparently someone in China has bird flu as well, good start to 2020 this...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 15:59

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 2 Feb 15:11

I guess concern is what would happen if 42 million people contracted the corona virus.

Not an awful lot given most cases are very treatable.
Put the hysteria down.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 16:15

Quote:

Rastapari, Sun 2 Feb 15:59

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 2 Feb 15:11

Not an awful lot given most cases are very treatable.
Put the hysteria down.

2% of people are dying from it.
I would consider 840000 people dead pretty worrying.
Hopefully the "hysteria" means it ends up being contained and we don't see this number of people getting it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 16:31

And treating 42 million would prove to be a logistical challenge.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 17:11

Hysteria? Again more nonsense, let’s just not give the Coronavirus any thought or serious attention even though its just turned into a global emergency.

Sorry but I’d rather we err on the side of caution and potentially overreact than not bother our xxxxx at all.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 17:29

Two Beechams powders and its gone according to the BMB
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 18:09

The 2% should be taken with a pinch of salt at the moment.

It is based on the number of confirmed cases at the moment, but no-one knows how many people have unconfirmed cases (i.e. those who stay at home with two Chinese Beechams powders and wait until it passes).

I wouldn't be surprised if the real number of cases is 10 times higher.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Feb 05:59

Which hysteria is worse. Being hysterical about catching it or about governments just doing whats expected of them and trying to prevent it spreading.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 16:08

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 3 Feb 05:59

Which hysteria is worse. Being hysterical about catching it or about governments just doing whats expected of them and trying to prevent it spreading.

By far the hysteria by media, that's the hysteria that makes people take an untested vaccine and believe the government cares for you....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 16:14

I find that doubtful. I've never had a single vaccination in my life outside of MMR and other compulsory vaccinations as a child. Only people if one does get manufactured that will get it is the young and old. Happy to believe some conspiracies but vaccination rumours are just complete tosh with 0 backing anywhere.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 16:29

I regularly get the flu vaccine to stop me from giving the flu to half of edinburgh's homeless population and frontline staff and the only side-effect I've had is a wee sniffle the day after.

Those vaccinations are essential in managing the risk of critical care services from being thrown into chaos for a fortnight or longer by flu.

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel the warmth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 17:23

Vaccinations are vital in some cases. A great example is HPV. This has been found to help protect males too so high school aged boys will now be receiving the HPV vaccine.

Got a pal in China (Beijing). It seems business as usual for him. He's mentioned it but it doesn't come across as being a big deal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 20:46

Talking about vaccines. I never used to have the flu jab because I thought I heard somebody say it gave them the flu. My reasoning was that the vaccine is a wee bit of the flu bug that fires your immune system into action to boost it up so it's easily mobilised any time you get a bigger dose of infection.

WRONG, according to my Pharmacist. She said you can't get flu from having the flu jab because the stuff they give you is dead - it's a mixture of the three most prevalent or virulent? virus strains that are circulating and it's dead virus material so it can't infect you.

So I got my jab for the first time this year. I was lucky. Felt nothing at the time and no after effects. My wife had a sore arm. (Not from my jab her own!)

Post Edited (Tue 04 Feb 20:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 20:52

Vaccines are generally the shell of the virus where the vRna has basically been destroyed so your white blood cells will consume the innate cells, and form antibodies to deal with them in the future. The reason you can get symptoms from the vaccine is that often the symptoms are based on your body fighting off the virus rather than the virus causing the symptoms directly
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Tue 4 Feb 21:05

ref: Andrew283
Tue 4 Feb 20:52

<<< the symptoms are based on your body fighting off the virus rather than the virus causing the symptoms directly>>>

Sorry Andrew, I'm not sure what you mean there. D'you mean you might get symptoms from your white blood cells consuming the dead cells?

Minor symptoms such as the 'wee sniffle the day after', referred to by Wotsit (at 16:29 above)?

Post Edited (Tue 04 Feb 21:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 07:05

Flu vaccine 100% will not give you flu. Google "flu facts" and check the NHS Inform site.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Feb 15:19

Exactly right onandupthepars. Your cells cause an immoresponse based solely on the reaction to antibodies reacting to the shell of any virus. This means increasing and fluctuating body temperatures etc as a mechanism for destroying the virus.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 09:30

Got to feel for those quarantined on the cruise ship. Confined to quarters for 14 days is going to be a bit different from their dream holiday...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 20:50

Sad to read that the Doctor who first raised the concerns has died of the virus.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 15:11

Before he died though the Chinese government forced him to sign a 'confession' for spreading false information.
Now he is dead; theirs is the future.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Feb 19:39

China is the literal worst place any new pathogen can arise (And with their population, diet and government probably one of the most likely for it it arise). The whole place is a ticking timebomb
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 08:22

Breaking News on the Beeb

The UK government has declared coronavirus a "serious and imminent threat" to public health, as it announced new powers to fight its spread.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 10:05

Unbolted stable doors spring to mind here.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 10:54

Ah the old "new powers" being rolled out, took them a while this time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 12:39

Maybe they have seen the tactics the Chinese are using and thought 'we'll have some of that'.
Though it's probably just a sensible precaution to try and prevent a outbreak that will be fatal to many.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 15:05

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 10 Feb 12:39

Maybe they have seen the tactics the Chinese are using and thought 'we'll have some of that'.
Though it's probably just a sensible precaution to try and prevent a outbreak that will be fatal to many.

Mortality rate currently running under the normal winter flu virus level.
Let's have these extra powers every year.....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 15:58

Those extra powers wouldn't help to contain the flu virus though. How many hundreds of thousands of people in this country got a flu vaccination because the flu could kill them or at least make them very ill. Those people aren't guarded in anyway against this virus. If as many people in this country contract the corona virus as contract the flu how well do you think the NHS will cope?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 16:29

I've just spent 5 hours at the Western General with my Daughter who has been ill since before Christmas
The did a swab test blood test chest and heart x-ray
They thought it was pneumonia at first but it is the full blown flu virus not nice and can see why it could be fatal so the less healthy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 16:56

Indeed Buspass and I hope she makes a speedy recovery. I think a lot of people think the flu is something they get every few years when in fact you'd be unlucky to get the proper influenza more than twice in your lifetime and probably not even that much.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 17:11

Many thanks Towk I had the flu one Christmas a few years back and I NEVER want to catch it again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 21:29

I don't think I've ever had it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 08:26

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 10 Feb 17:11

Many thanks Towk I had the flu one Christmas a few years back and I NEVER want to catch it again

I had the proper flu in February 86. Each morning for 5 nights, we had to change the bedding as everything was completely soaked in sweat ( too much info, I know) and I felt like someone had given me a right good going over with a baseball bat.

Many people who have a bad cold mistakenly think they've got the flu.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Tue 11 Feb 08:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 08:52

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 11 Feb 08:26

Quote:

I had the proper flu in February 86. Each morning for 5 nights, we had to change the bedding as everything was completely soaked in sweat ( too much info, I know) and I felt like someone had given me a right good going over with a baseball bat.

Same a few weeks ago, easy 5 days of the same....and a lot of pain.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 09:47

Topic Originator: GG Riva like | nolike
Date: Tue 11 Feb 08:26

Quote:

That was the same here G.G. Also during the sweats if I moved less than half an inch in bed than I started to shiver uncontrollably I was a Postie back then and got up boxing day to go to work but my wife and son put me back into bed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 01:34

Three matches in Serie A postponed over fears of corona virus after two elderly people die from the illness in Italy.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net