DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Mountain Climbers
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 18:39

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Mountain Climbers
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 18:58

99 times out 100 only up for the weekend and gambling on the weather forecast being wrong or assuming their skill level is higher than they are.Bit like the skiers going backcountry against advice after a big dump of snow and getting 'lanched

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 19:30

I have said for years they should be made to pay the full cost of the rescue or jailed
Stupid.. ignorant ..inconsiderate half wits
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 20:13

Almost as dafter as the dick that went SURFING.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Skerla  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 20:30

Well said Buspass
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 20:38

Amazing that the lifeboat didnt capsize
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 20:51

'Three of them were wearing trainers'.That should be an automatic pay full costs as just clowns who think it's ok to risk other peoples lives to save theirs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 22:55

Quote:

ipswichpar, Mon 10 Feb 20:38

Amazing that the lifeboat didnt capsize

Modern lifeboats don't capsize... They're designed to always right themselves as long as their watertight integrity isn't compromised.
Brave brave men and women who man these vessels... Most of them volunteers.

Admin
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 23:23

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 01:38

<<How can someone dislike my post?>>

Heaven knows, RM. Very odd.

I agree that there should be penalties for blatant disregard of safety warnings in the hills or at sea, indeed anywhere where you are putting others' lives at risk.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 12:47

they aren't mountain climbers, they're stupid erses. Un-prepared, ill equipped stupid esrses.

Even in summer the weather can change quickly up a mountain.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 12:51

HAHA! The curse of the mysterious "dislike" troll strikes again!

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 13:24

They were 'furriners' of course and saved by their phone but lucky to get a signal apparently.

I remember standing at the foot of Ben Nevis in summertime contemplating whether to tackle the tourist route but the big feartie in me held me back after viewing the warning videos and remembering the stories of tourists underestimating the difficulty of the terrain up there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 13:49

The wife and me were half way up Snowdonia when a thick mist started we turned back and got down just in time... Half an hour later the Helicopter was out looking for those that did not get down quick enough
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 15:18

"I have said for years they should be made to pay the full cost of the rescue or jailed
Stupid.. ignorant ..inconsiderate half wits"

Absolutely.

If there's a law against wasting police time then there should be similar for needlessly initiating a call out of the emergency services.

Also, those going up hills etc. should be obliged to have an insurance policy to cover such activities - just as you need for hazardous pursuits on travel cover policies.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 15:42

Unfortunately if people were being billed tens of thousands of pounds to cover the rescue costs they may decide to try and see out the conditions and subsequently die.
What about someone who is involved in a car accident which is down to their own reckless actions such as speeding. Should they be billed for the time and effort of the emergency services in aiding them? I'd imagine most of us wouldn't want a speeding motorist punished in such a way but that is possibly because going over the speed limit (in quite possibly a dangerous manner in the eyes of the law if caught) is something many of us may have done but hiking up a mountain unprepared isn't as common.
While it is certainly frustrating to know that essentially taxpayers money is being wasted on preventable mountain rescues it's a slippery slope once we start billing people.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed

Post Edited (Tue 11 Feb 15:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 16:24

Towk lets not call it billing ....but lets call it fining

We fine drivers who are over the limit or reckless or both
We jail the said drivers

Its not so much about the taxpayers money we waste and god knows how much of that has been wasted over the last 3 years !!

Its the risk of life to the rescue services who have to go out in treacherous conditions to try and help some Tw*t who is ill prepared, ill equipped, ill informed and in- experienced

They should be fined or jailed ......just saying
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 17:16

Fining I can get on board with. As long as the sums weren't overly punitive.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 17:19

Hey Towk we are nearly there :-) not often we agree ...BUT it has to be a punishment to deter other cowboy climbers who put sensible brave folk at risk due to their stupidity
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 18:28

Yes, it's pretty stupid to go up hills in that weather without equipment, but the suggestion of needing insurance before being allowed on the hills is also pretty daft. Should I require insurance to have a wee wander up Ben Cleuch in the Ochils on a nice day? What if I only go up the path to the end of the glen as some families do? Or if I go walking on the dirt trails round the back of my local park? Walking on the beach when the tide isn't fully out? Should the premiums be doubled if you run instead of walk?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 18:42

Socks I have the greatest respect for your posts as they are mostly good constructive sense

But Laddie go back and re read your last post

Unless I have missed the point I never saw insurance mentioned also Socks there is no comparison with mountain rescue in the ochils which I have walked back side and foremost to compare them to the peaks in Scotland ...Just saying
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 18:57

Check out VEs post Buspass.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 19:12

Ach Towk...Socks ...just seen it sincere apologies
However comparisons were not appropriate by Socks
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 21:43

A post from Lochaber MRT on Pussache..

Thanks to everyone for their messages of support to the Team - very much appreciated. The incident has created a huge amount of media/public/government and international interest and comment.
The casualties admit that they made a significant error of judgement and are extremely sorry for the results of their actions. The guys were just members of the public who perhaps were unaware of what they were getting into. Not being from the UK and with very limited English, a lot of the information available to mountaineers and hill walkers would not have been accessible to them, so perhaps there is an element of mitigation in respect of their actions, clothing and lack of equipment.
At present money from the Scottish Government is channeled, via Sportscotland, quite rightly so, into the Avalanche Information Service and for training and education through centers like Glenmore Lodge and agencies such as Mountaineering Scotland. Most of this will be targeted at people who are either engaged in the sport or have an interest in taking it up. Perhaps more thought needs to be given into how to inform the general public/casual tourist about how dangerous our small mountains are and how severe our weather can get and how it will catch-out the unwary and uninformed at any time of the year.
Unfortunately it takes incidents like yesterdays to raise the profile in the media and the message has definitely got out. So there is a positive from the incident. Therefore, let us just cut the guys a little bit of slack. For those who call for charging and insurance for mountaineers/hill walkers, be careful for what ask for, as where do you stop, insurance for fishing, rugby, football all of which have more incidents and injuries than mountaineering.
Mountain rescuers are all mountaineers who volunteer their services at absolutely minimal cost to the public purse. Insurance would lead to a professional service, which, for yesterdays incident would have required about 30 full time paid people on one single shift plus equipment etc to have been able carry out and then you have the admin, health and safety, bean counter et al - all funded by tax payer. Leave as is, as we have a world class voluntary mountain rescue service which delivers via public donations.
To ensure it is sufficiently funded, we need public donations so please give to a mountain rescue team. Not all mountain rescue is about mountains and many teams outwith the Highlands, and even those in the Highlands, do provide resilience cover at times of severe weather/flooding and when the full time agencies cannot cope with scale of an incident. This is also significantly funded by donations for mountain rescue but we are sure our supporters would not grudge some of their money going back to the communities which we live in and allow access to our mountains and countryside.
Finally, we would like to thank the guys from yesterday's rescue for making the donation shown in the picture attached. These were very young guys who without any prompting made a very generous gesture which is very much appreciated. Not everyone rescued appreciates that we are not full time or not paid to be at their beck and call.
Stay safe.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 22:23

The point of my post wasn't to make comparisons, I was making the point that requiring people to have insurance before going up hills is unworkable because it's near impossible to set a boundary between 'normal' walking and 'serious' hillwalking.

You're actually very wrong to say that the Ochils cannot be compared to other peaks in Scotland. I've been walking all over Scotland for years - many local walks up the Lomonds and Ochils as well as 100-150 Munros and maybe 50 Corbetts in all parts of the country. Ben Cleuch isn't as high as some, but it's as steep as anything around, a good test of fitness and certainly not one to be taken lightly in difficult weather.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 23:01

Socks I was born and bread at the foot of the Ochils

I have walked them all my life I have panned the burns of care and sorrow for Scottish gold

I have fished all the hillfoot burns for the wee fat troot

They are a beautiful part of the wee County ...but I am sorry I am not wrong in my comparison ...My Grandaughter walks them with me as well ...even in the occasional skiff of snow

So your not sure if you have climbed 100 or 150 Munro's ?

As an experienced climber I am very interested to know which Munro's you have climbed ....the 100 will do no need to extend into the 50 or so that you can't remember

Let me know their names and your starting point for each and also the special parts of each and every one that only some one who has actually climbed them will know

Regards

Brian
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 23:14

So you are wanting Socks to detail at least 100 or so of the munros that he has climbed? Why? Lol

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 23:42

Are you actually serious? You want me to list 100-odd hills (most of them with gaelic names), the start points and memories of each? Details that for most of them are 10-20 years ago?

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to talk about hillwalking with anyone who also has an interest, but the tone of you comment makes it sound like you're demanding this because you don't believe what I said. I have a diary that has almost every hill walk I've done since 2001 so if I wanted to I could quite easily find out exactly how many I've climbed, but I'd actually rather not know. I find it a wee bit sad that some folk seem to climb hills only so they can tick them off a list, rather than to take any interest or enjoyment from being out on the hill that day. Same with folk that climb Munros only and turn their nose up at smaller hills - apparently they don't realise that smaller hills are often better and harder climbs, since more often they're on rougher terrain.

I'm quite genuine in what I've said and I don't need validation from you. I'm therefore not minded to share any memories unless your tone is more reasonable. Very happy to share my best hillwalking memories, not happy to answer the questions as you've asked them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 00:02

Socks thought that ...night night
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: broontroot  
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 11:35

Got to agree with socks on this , done a fair few hills myself , currently on 272 munros on my 2nd round , and 28 corbetts under my belt , theres been a few lifes lost in the ochils , one quite recent of a very experienced lady Walker , they also have there own mountain rescue team , so if not treated properly can be as dangerous as other larger hills , I'll not bother listing my hills but you can check my number 5735 on the compleators list
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 12:03

"The point of my post wasn't to make comparisons, I was making the point that requiring people to have insurance before going up hills is unworkable because it's near impossible to set a boundary between .'normal' walking and 'serious' hillwalking."

IMO those definitions are not the relevant criteria for assessing the introduction of insurance.

It would be based on nature of terrain, with height limits and at specified time of year.

I once had a national qualification which allowed me to take small groups into the hills, up to 2,000 feet in summer months.

More serious outdoor enthusiasts required a Mountain Leaders certificate - one for summer and another for winter (if memory serves) - this would allow them to go into wilder country, (which is designated) and to higher limits in appropriate months.

Post Edited (Wed 12 Feb 12:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 14:08

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 21:55

A genuinely mind-blowing post from Buspasspar - and not in a positive way.

"So your not sure if you have climbed 100 or 150 Munro's ?"

Must be one of the most ridiculous retorts ever seen on .net - which is quite an accolade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 22:26

"Socks I was born and bread at the foot of the Ochils"

Pan loaf or plain ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 22:41

With it being bout mountains...... Surely Sugar Loaf
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 00:05

I blame the Von Trapps.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 08:46

Quote:-
Topic Originator: veteraneastender like | nolike
Date: Wed 12 Feb 22:26

"Socks I was born and bread at the foot of the Ochils"

Pan loaf or plain ?

vee well spotted .....Always store plain

We did not have a lot of dough back then (hard times) but I was my mothers pride as i always bought her flours ...at yeast we had a wholemeal when we kneaded it... :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 08:51

I’ll raise a toast to that !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 09:02

No good trying to butter me up :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Skerla  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 12:32

“HAHA! The curse of the mysterious "dislike" troll strikes again!“

Not bothered in the slightest are you?

“Socks I was born and bread at the foot of the Ochils

I have walked them all my life I have panned the burns of care and sorrow for Scottish gold

They are a beautiful part of the wee County ...but I am sorry I am not wrong in my comparison ...My Grandaughter walks them with me as well ...even in the occasional skiff of snow

As an experienced climber I am very interested to know which Munro's you have climbed ....the 100 will do no need to extend into the 50 or so that you can't remember

Let me know their names and your starting point for each and also the special parts of each and every one that only some one who has actually climbed them will know

Regards

Brian“

Hahahahaha what a tragic mess of a post!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 12:52

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 11 Feb 23:01

Socks I was born and bread at the foot of the Ochils

Regards

Brian

😂😂😂 are being serious?

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 13:27

He may have a point here though. This 'Socks' character occasionally shows up with some comments about Pars matches he claims to have attended. I would be interested to know how many matches he has actually been at. In fact, I demand to know a specific fact about each game he has been at, that he would only know if he was in attendance at the fixture, such as pie queue length, Sammy routine or number of ball boys in attendance
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 15:27

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 13 Feb 13:27

He may have a point here though. This 'Socks' character occasionally shows up with some comments about Pars matches he claims to have attended. I would be interested to know how many matches he has actually been at. In fact, I demand to know a specific fact about each game he has been at, that he would only know if he was in attendance at the fixture, such as pie queue length, Sammy routine or number of ball boys in attendance

I'd go one step further, I'd like to see each of his posts validated by a solicitor, accountant or policeman.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 17:31

"No good trying to butter me up :-)"

How are you going to get out of this jam ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Feb 17:40

Don't know vee don't spread it around but I'm down to my last crust
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Fri 14 Feb 11:43

I've done Nevis twice. Once in April which was a glorious sunny warm day, not a cloud in the sky, tourist route was like Princess Street on a Saturday afternoon. Myself and my mates were fully kitted out for the weather turning, but the amount folk cutting about in flip flips, shorts and t-shirts was ridiculous. Little did they know that the summit was still pretty much covered in snow. My second climb was the en of July/beginning of August and we climbed in thick fog, wind, rain and sleet. Again loads of folk very ill prepared for the conditions.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net