DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Jehovah’s Witnesses
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 22:42

As a lass of no religious tendencies other than worshipping at the temple of EEP I’ve had the good (?) fortune of having a couple of lovely ladies at my door these past few months, representing JW. Creation seems to be the topic of the day and they’ve been keen to hear my views.

I’ve yet to let them in - they have the whole corridor to themselves anyway - they appear to time their visits perfectly in line with my jimjam wearing on a Sunday morning and have skedaddled a couple of times when I’ve had company (usually just the cat 😂).

Are they to be viewed upon as annoying / helpful or do I continue to leave them chittering in the close?

All advice appreciated.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Jehovah’s Witnesses
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 23:01

Had them in my street, but not at my door.Don't particularly agree with their views, but,hey ho,you don't have to answer your door.Everyone to their own.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 23:06

I'm not religious myself... But I realise that a lot of people are. I was once told that if you engage them in conversation, they won't leave you alone and will come back again and again.
So, being a non religious person I just say "no thanks" and close the door.
Last thing I need is a discussion about something I've no interest in to be honest.
That's my take on it.
I'm not nasty to them ... I just say "no thanks" and close the door.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 23:14

Know a friend, who invited mormons in.Biggest mistake ever.They came back, week after week,.Eventually, the conversation got round to money.Door soundly shut after that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 23:31

Jehovah Witnesses can be toxic.

I remember reading about one family where the mother became a JW and eventually converted the rest of her family.
Some time later she started having doubts and left the JW's and they forced her family to shun her and cut her out of their lives.
A shocking and despicable way to treat people.

You also need to give a third of your income to the church.

Really friendly people but it's a known tactic of cults called "lovebombing".

There are countless other stories of how they destroy families. Be cautious is my advice.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 23:38

Thanks folks.
FWIW I’m never rude to them.
I’ve no intention of becoming or being recruited by the JW. I am guilty only of not answering my door and hoping they get fed up; and seeing I’m moving soon it’ll be the unfortunate new owners who will have the pleasure of their company (should they return).

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 00:15

Just put on Hell Awaits by Slayer, Buff as soon as they come in. That'll do the trick

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 01:49

I got approached by two guys on the street one day. At first I thought they were selling insurance. I ended up taking their magazine, 'Was Life Created?' It doesn't say 'The Watchtower' on the front these days. When I realised it was a JW magazine I was wary but curious. It's quite cunningly written, it took a bit of effort to spot the sleight of hand stuff and know why it's wrong.

What I only noticed recently in it is this: 'Publishers: Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Britain (Registered in England as a Charity)'

A charity!

When any of them appear at the door offering a leaflet, I just say, 'We don't want any thank you.' Don't see them often.

I wouldn't view them as helpful, Buffy. It's the same old story with religious folk, they're not open to sensible debate, they're only gonna want you to conform to their views. I have several religious friends, none of whom are approachable on such matters. One is a catholic who said to me he believes that when he receives the wafer and the wine it's not just a metaphor, it actually miraculously changes into the real blood and body of 'our Lord.'

There's a lot of bonkersness in this world. But my friends who are bonkers regarding religions are not completely bonkers in other ways, so I just have to put up with it. I can hear some folk saying they wouldn't have such friends. Yeh, well if I was that intolerant it would mean I'd have no friends and probably no wife!

I've often longed for a friend who is along the lines of a freethinker. That's the nearest term for me.

Freethinker

'Freethought is a... viewpoint which holds that positions regarding truth should be formed only on the basis of logic, reason, and empiricism, rather than authority, tradition, revelation, or dogma.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

Post Edited (Tue 25 Feb 02:10)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 07:01

I get monthly visits from a couple of JW ladies and I am always happy to chat with them on my doorstep for five minutes. They are always pleasant and give me a wee magazine that I never read, but I haven't got the heart to tell them to bugger off. I don't like to do that to people unless they are being unpleasant.

When I was about 21, I came so damn close to finding myself in one of those controversial sects.

I was on holiday in Trondheim at the time and was approached by a couple of the most stunning Norwegian women you would ever see. They were recruiting for the Children of God and made it pretty clear that this was going to be my lucky night. However, my girlfriend emerged from a shop, game them the evil eye and before I knew it, they were off.

It took me a long time to get those Norwegian ladies out of my mind.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 08:19

Just imagine them as Falkirk fans selling the virtues of their team to you
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 08:28

Or play this when they're at your door

https://youtu.be/EJC-_j3SnXk
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 10:20

Unfortunately my sister in law is a JW convert, the amount of family rows this has caused over the last 40 years is unbelievable, some strange ideas!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 10:36

Lol Dave :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 10:40

The pars and EEP is the only religion you need!
Now I know doubters may say there's no such thing as fitba at EEP, but they've never experienced the joy of seeing Nisbit!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 10:59

Nice one, Dave.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 18:12

Tell them you work for the NHS blood transfusion services - they’ll disappear pronto !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 05:51

PMSL Dave!!

That’s on the Amazon list 😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 07:47

I don't want to go all 1970s comedian on you, but it should be illegal for people to come to your house to tell you how to live your life unless it's the mother-in-law.

I get JW about once a month. I usually give them about 10 seconds to start their routine then I politely interrupt and ask 'Are you Jehova's Witnesses?'. They then realise that their clever cover (of looking like JWs, dressing like JWs, and carrying JW books) has been blown and their faces drop. I then tell them that I am not particularly interested but I hope that they have a nice day.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net