DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 6 Nations.
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 14:57

2nd bottom this year then?

I wonder how long before Japan join the southern hemisphere gig.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 6 Nations.
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 17:05

Japan’s World Cup performance while very enjoyable was down to massive investment in the game as hosts of the World Cup, buying players in and having their squad together for the best part of a year.

It remains to be seen whether the level of performance is sustainable - I have my doubts.

Meanwhile Scotland will continue to decline with toonie in charge (I hope I am wrong)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 17:35

Really frustrating the amount of times we have either committed a foul or conceded possession in front of Ireland's posts. It has been a failing of Scotland teams for a few years now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 18:03

What on earth was that Hogg? Awful stuff
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 18:08

Scotland threatening to be a really top team again but mistake after mistake in front of their posts is costing us dearly.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 18:47

Canny blame Toonie with that loss. What do you mean continue to decline. Have we dropped in any rankings since Toonie took over?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 19:20

Scotland don't have enough strength in depth to be a top world team.
We're a top ten team at best.
We have the occasional big win... But being Scotland, a high is always followed by a low... Then sometimes another low lol.
I don't really rate Toonie as an international manager... We haven't really kicked on since he got the gig and we're in real danger of going backwards.
I'm betting Toonie will walk away after the six nations.
We only looked half decent today because Ireland didn't really play as we know they can.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 19:43

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 01 Feb 18:47

Canny blame Toonie with that loss. What do you mean continue to decline. Have we dropped in any rankings since Toonie took over?

Yes - we were ranked 5th in 2017 and are now 9th and unless they have a very good year are staring at the third pot of seeds when the draw for the 2023 Rugby World Cup is made in Paris later this year.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 19:47

Quote:

widtink, Sat 1 Feb 19:20

Scotland don't have enough strength in depth to be a top world team.
We're a top ten team at best.
We have the occasional big win... But being Scotland, a high is always followed by a low... Then sometimes another low lol.
I don't really rate Toonie as an international manager... We haven't really kicked on since he got the gig and we're in real danger of going backwards.
I'm betting Toonie will walk away after the six nations.
We only looked half decent today because Ireland didn't really play as we know they can.

He has factualy improved the team. From your opening comment we are a top 10 team. We dont have the resources to be a top team. We are currently 9th. Would be 8th if Japan hadnt been training together for a year and at home in the wc...possibly. How do you see anyone else improving us more with the same resources.
I think we will overtake Japan then we might swap positions as Irish and Welsh fortunes fluctuate. Other than that???
Six Nations: Have Scotland improved in Gregor Townsend's 1000 days in charge? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51256178

Post Edited (Sat 01 Feb 19:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 20:33

Ireland and Wales (and Engurland unfortunately) will always be above us in the rankings as they have strength in depth.... They can cope when injuries and suspensions rule out key players because they have a much bigger pool of players to pick from to replace them.
As long as Scotland only have two teams to pick players from it won't change... Yes I know we have a few stragglers playing down south and in France but they're few and far between.
Scotland (in my humble opinion) actually punch above their weight all things considered... But only having Glasgow and Edinburgh as our professional sides is hurting us big time.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 21:12

Why blame Toonie then? Should he be able to produce a bigger pool of players out of thin air?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 21:32

We were making good progress under Stern Vern and Toonie got the credit during the change over period although it was still Verns team and coaching
Since Toonie has stamped his own mark and methods we have gone backwards Today should have been better against an Ireland team who are in transition and rebuilding with new young players and coaches Our problem is as a team we cannot do the basics we try to over elaborate a simple game perhaps to make up for our lack of pace and strength That game was ours to win today but the usual errors and failure to turn pressure into points was as always our downfall
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 21:48

It's not so much I'm blaming him... He can only work with the tools at his disposal. But he's taken a side that was on the verge of something good under stern Vern and we're now stagnating. He's not an international coach in my opinion.
We will always struggle because of our lack of professional players to pick from but Vern got the very best out of them... Toonie doesn't seem to have that ability.
With the limited resources we have regarding players, every ounce of talent needs to be developed.
Vern was a master at it at this level.
Toonie is a good club coach... But he's a complete novice on the international stage... And it's starting to show.
The only way is down under his tenure....imho.
I stand by my prediction... He will walk away this year.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 22:11

Problem lies further up the food chain, but toonie is out his depth. The SRU
Don't care about grassroots rugby (if you don't like our setup make your own)
Develop talent from a miniscule pool.
Have imposed the super6 on the regions.
Look after "their boys" and close ranks when questioned(Finn Russell's dad debacle)
Refuse to question their executive committee on their policies and actions despite numerous complaints.
Elevate unsuitable individuals into their higher echelons( Dodson et Al)
Until the basic Constitution and composition of the SRU is changed there will be many barren years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 1 Feb 23:51

Will never understand punting Vern. Best Scotland coach in years and we get rid of him so save cash. SRU are an embarrassment
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 16:09

Englandlandshireshire currently being toshed by the French...
17-0 at the moment with 34 mins to go.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Feb 17:26

Englands party piece thuggery getting more back than they are giving great to see :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 18:54

Ooer Mrs. England gobbing of again

After Eddie Jones said they would put France into a box along comes Lewis Ludlam

Lewis Ludlam says England bring just as much hatred and aggression to Saturday's Calcutta Cup fixture as Scotland, promising the hosts a "war".

The flanker, 24, disagreed when it was suggested Scotland bring more fury to international rugby's oldest rivalry.

"We are emotionally there. They hate us and we hate them. There is no difference," he said.

"We're revved up. We want to be brutal. We don't want to give them an inch to breathe. We're coming for them."

Better Run Boys they are coming for us :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 19:46

Fact is... As much as I hate to admit it... If Engurland are at anything near their best, they will slap us.
We have to play out of our skin to be in with a chance vs them.
But... Ye never know eh 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Feb 21:16

Quote :-
Topic Originator: widtink like | nolike
Date: Thu 6 Feb 19:46

Fact is... As much as I hate to admit it... If Engurland are at anything near their best, they will slap us.
We have to play out of our skin to be in with a chance vs them.
But... Ye never know eh 🤣

We have never been bigger faster or better than England widtink since the professional set up ...what we had however before then was a plan A B and C which confused them... disrupted them and allowed us to compete and hold our own
If we try and match their physicality on Saturday then we will probably get beat we need to play to our strengths... bring a bit of composure back into the team and who knows what might happen .....Its brutal.. Its a war ...They are coming to get us .....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sat 8 Feb 18:36

6-13

No chance for us to win when we lost most of our own line-outs. And had no answer to their scrums. Even more concerning is the fact that, when we get to within a few yards of the opposition's line, we have no ingenuity to fool them and get over the line, same as v Ireland. Having given away so much possession and terrirtory from our own line-outs, really we did pretty well to keep the score down.

Post Edited (Sat 08 Feb 18:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Feb 21:08

Not surprised.... But nearly men yet again...
Toonie oot

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boomer  
Date:   Sat 8 Feb 23:00

Like SC toonie was not on the pitch and not responsible for some basic errors so maybe widtink wants SC out too?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Feb 23:08

Nope... Not sure why you would assume me wanting Toonie out equates to me wanting SC out... You do know it's two different sports don't you?
Just checking.
Or perhaps it was just poor banter on your part...
Anyhoo... Poor stuff from Scotland.
And it's no getting any better under the current regime.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sat 8 Feb 23:20

Quote:

widtink, Sat 08 Feb 23:08

Nope... Not sure why you would assume me wanting Toonie out equates to me wanting SC out... You do know it's two different sports don't you?
Just checking.
Or perhaps it was just poor banter on your part...
Anyhoo... Poor stuff from Scotland.
And it's no getting any better under the current regime.

Tbf it’s no getting any worse either is it?

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Feb 23:31

Well we've just lost the Calcutta cup that we've held for two years.... That's a step backwards for a start.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 00:27

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 00:59

I don't care to know alot about Rugby but we should pack it in. Year in Year out the same old pumpings in the six nations with the occasional plucky victory against the England to appease folk. Rubbish - 20 years since we were any good. Almost as bad as the fitba team.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 02:05

I was interested to read widtink saying we've only got two professional teams. Has that always been the case? I wonder how we were able to do a slam in 1990.

I think we're a decent side. We're competitive. Weren't far off beating Ireland if we had a wee bit more cleverness when close to their line. Same with the England match. How did we not get pummeled by them? Giving them possession from our line-outs so often was a huge handicap - meant that about eight times when we should've enjoyed good territory and ball we were instead forced to defend and chase and work hard; plus our weakness in scrums and yet we lost by only 7, so I don't think we should be hard on our team.

Poor Hoggy, if only he hadn't inadvertently chested the ball over the line. That's all it came down to. He's brilliant a lot of the time but was unlucky there.

As for our scrum, we need more weight. Eat more pies!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 11:07

Another huge disappointment I really don't know why I get so excited and build my hopes up before every game especially against Engerlund
I know the conditions were bad but we make far more mistakes than all the other 5 teams put together
I think we should just stop playing rugby
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 11:18

South Africa apparently (if rumours are true) currently in negotiations to join us after the next word Cup and make it the seven nations tournament.
The more the merrier imo... But the other nations that have been asking to join for a while won't be best pleased.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 11:51

Also....
https://www.theoffsideline.com/analysis-finn-russell-scottish-rugby/

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 14:31

That is a good read widtink thank you
I could not read the Russell article as they wanted me to subscribe ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 14:43

Ah... Apologies.
I didn't notice that.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 15:10

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 09 Feb 14:31

That is a good read widtink thank you
I could not read the Russell article as they wanted me to subscribe ?

Are you sure as it links through fine for me. Pretty damning of the SRU (no surprises) who are almost as inept as the SFA

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 15:12

I note the drinking limit he exceeded was imposed by the players, not by Townsend. He was unhappy that they had agreed this in his absence. No doubt he had a longstanding grievance with Townsend but maybe he was looking for any excuse to challenge authority.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 16:02

Townsend is Dodson's nodding dog. Finn Russell's dad gets sacked for questioning the SRU , takes them to tribunal and suddenly Finn is out in the cold ....As the analysis and whispers say, there is an internal coup going on and the clubs are only waking up to it now. The top 4 exec are paid 78% of what was given to clubs last year and 4 times what the Irish equivalents receive. It absolutely stinks without even bringing the "debt free" claim into play.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 16:05

Putting the issue with the sru aside for a second... It's not exactly been a secret that Toonie and Russell haven't been best buddies for a long long time so this incident is just the tip of the iceberg.
Both are known to be a bit headstrong.... So who's gonna back down?
Rightly or wrongly... Without Russel we are a weaker side (disclaimer =when he's on his game... When he's not on his game he's a liability).
But... Rules is rules... And apparently he did break them.
As much as I'm not a fan of Gregors... If we continue in this run of poor form... He will be the scapegoat because of this whole nonsense.
Which is a tad unfair really.
But.. He wanted the job.
These kinda things crop up from time to time and he carries the can.
If we could get a win against somebody (a long shot... Even against Italy) it would ease the pressure on him.
But if we get the wooden spoon... I've no doubt the media and public will want him to go... And he will imo.
So... To sum up...
The whole things been a bit silly and they should just have a man hug and get back to normal... Otherwise I can only see one loser.
Russell will be fine... He's earning megabucks with his club... But I'd rather he was in the scottish line up... We need all the help we can get.
P. S... Toonie oot 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Feb 17:28

widtink good post
No man is bigger than the team and I think Finn was starting to believe his own press
The captaincy is weighing heavily on Hoggs shoulders he has had two stinkers
I watched Italy today and hope I'm wrong but I honestly think we will struggle to beat them over there .. they played some great Rugby today
I have never been a fan of Toony as a player or manager I also think when he goes and he has to go Dodson should go as well and hand his bonus payment back to the SRU
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 16:01

And now Gregor has released a statement....
Following a newspaper article at the weekend I want to take the opportunity to address a few issues regarding Finn’s involvement with the squad.
“We strive to create an environment for players to be at their absolute best when playing for Scotland. To do that players must be aligned to the high standards of being involved in team sport at an elite level.
“These standards are set out through feedback from players and staff and are driven by the player leadership group or the head coach at varying times during a campaign.
"We have players who come from around a dozen different clubs and it’s really important they commit to an agreed standard of behaviour, which builds trust and is at the bedrock of a high-performance environment.

"These standards don’t change for one player, even if that’s not what they experience in their club setting.
"A really pleasing aspect of the last three weeks has been seeing the group commit to this high-performance standard, bond as a group of young men and show consistency and quality on the training field. They’ve been a pleasure to work with.
“Following the world cup, we reviewed a number of aspects of our environment and how that could lead to improved performances from the national team. This process involved taking lots of feedback from players, coaches, management and external input, on what we need to do better.
"Changes start from what we do as a coaching group and I learned a lot from the experience in Japan to how I can coach the team better. How we run our week’s training to unlock the full potential in the squad is what drives us as coaches.
"We believe we are in a much better place following the tournament and review. We clearly didn’t perform on the field as well as we had planned and, off the field, felt certain standards of behaviour had slipped at times.
"Our team leaders made the decision there would be no drinking after our opening match of the Six Nations and they have been working closely with me on improving other aspects of our environment.
"I’ve loved working with Finn over the past seven years. In that time, I’ve coached him at Glasgow Warriors and with Scotland. He was one of my first signings in the academy at Glasgow. I had watched him train and play the previous season and thought there was a player of real potential.
"That season, training in our academy and playing for Ayr, we felt he had earned the opportunity to be part of the exclusive Macphail scholarship programme in New Zealand. That experience proved to be invaluable and he really kicked on the following season, making his mark for the Warriors then for Scotland.
"He’s been brilliant to coach at club and international level. He’s very coachable and I’ve worked with him in a very similar way throughout those seven years.
"Finn left camp on the Sunday night because of a disagreement over alcohol with fellow players and chose to miss the following day’s (Monday) training and meetings. I arranged to meet with him that evening. It was a really positive meeting where we talked openly about life, rugby and what it means to play for Scotland.
"I left that meeting, after almost three hours, really optimistic that Finn would play a major part in our environment and be a committed team member. Unfortunately, things have not unfolded as well as we would have hoped.
"To play for Scotland takes total commitment. A lot of people make great sacrifices for the opportunity to represent 150 years of history and be among a special group of people who have had the honour of representing their nation.
"A lot of times, everything is not always how you’d like it to be. You might not agree with everything that is there, maybe because it’s a different coach than the one you have at club level or a different way of preparing or playing. What is important is that you commit to the what has been agreed and put the best interests of the team first.
"In the Six Nations and this season we are playing teams in the top five or six in the world and the effort, planning and standards that go into preparing people physically and mentally are really important, as are the bonds that bring people together and the trust that must be created within the group.
"The door will be open to any player with the required level of ability – if they commit to being a trusted member of the team. It’s been made clear that Finn could be a part of that future. However, he stated at the weekend that everything else has to change for him to come back, rather than accept and adhere to the standards currently being lived by the group.
"I hope this situation can be resolved but our focus is on working with the squad and building on the positive work that’s gone in from the players for our first two games."

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 16:22

It's always good to hear both sides of the story before making any judgements. The same could be said about some of the threads on the Football Forum.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 16:34

Quote:-

"These standards don’t change for one player, even if that’s not what they experience in their club setting.
"A really pleasing aspect of the last three weeks has been seeing the group commit to this high-performance standard, bond as a group of young men and show consistency and quality on the training field. They’ve been a pleasure to work with.

What a pity they could not replicate that on the field of play :-(
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 16:37

I cannot see any way back into the squad now for Finn after reading the latest articles and exchanges also the Tom English interview with Toonie I think the situation is beyond redemption
Hastings boy doing well tho and has the potential to be better than Finn
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 22:16

Hastings is not in the same league sadly. Russell may be mercurial but when he's in the mood he's unplayable. Big loss and tbh I'd play him bad boy or not. Toonie just needs to move on, preferably to a different job. But as long as he keeps licking the hands that feed him they'll see him right to the detriment of the country imho. Everything he's done has been with something that his predecessor has built.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 22:24

I'd have to agree... Russell can (and regularly does) dominate a game. Hastings (decent job he's done so far aside), doesn't have that in his locker.
Hastings does the basics well... But he's nowhere near a like for like replacement for Russell.
But Toonie will not back down... And neither will Russell.
So we are where we are... And now without Jonny Gray too.
Doesn't look promising.
Hoggy needs a big game vs Italy for us to avoid the widden spoon....hes been posted missing so far.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 22:43

Good post shrek par

Mercurial ...Aye Unplayable ..No

Not a big loss ...made more mistakes for Country than Gains
Head up his own backside unfortunately

Hastings is in the same league without the risks that Russell offered
and will only get better with more experience

Its a simple game and Adam keeps it simple
Sadly as a Rugby Nation we are going backwards ....Why ?

Either the players are not good enough or listening to their coaches ...Or
The Coaches are not good enough to make the players better

Since the inception of professional rugby we have as a Proud Rugby playing Country been left behind

Also with most of the revenue paid out to the hierarchy as a bonus for abject failure then there is no future for Scotland in a 6 nation set up
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 05:39

I'm sorry he is unplayable when in the mood and that's been on the record from some of the best coaches around. Hastings doesn't have the vision or game changing flair that Russell has. Its like comparing a rough joiner to a cabinet maker.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Feb 08:20

Correct shrek par ...when in the mood
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 15:11

Phenomenal burst of speed from Hogg to score that try.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 15:29

Don't agree.Yes,In years gone by.But not at the prices we are paying now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 00:07

Avoided the wooden spoon. Well done lads.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 00:12

Should've just chucked it after 2 games right enough

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 15:33

Doing no too bad so far.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 15:54

French should have done the slam but indiscipline will always be their downfall.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 15:57

Ye never know what you're gonna get with France... Fortunately for us they seem to be pretty average today.
Hopefully with our numerical advantage we can slap them... But I wouldn't bet on it 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 15:58

Blitz/rush defence working a treat. That French try was a thing of great beauty.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 16:43

Quote:

shrek par, Sun 8 Mar 15:58

Blitz/rush defence working a treat. That French try was a thing of great beauty.

Looks like a shoogly peg has been tightened.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 17:41

I don't pretend to know anything about the finer points of rugby but I presume the commentators and summarisers do. All of them commended Scotland's tactics which presumably were down to Gregor Townsend. Scotland have been competitive in every match so far so I can't understand the hostility towards Townsend. I conclude that his critics don't know nearly as much about rugby as he does.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 18:25

"One swallow does not a summer make" springs to mind here...
We done well...against 14 men... But fixing scottish rugby is more than a decent 80 minutes show.
I don't have any hostility towards Toonie... I just don't think he's the right man for the job at this time.
But as others have said... The main issues with our game will never be resolved without a huge shakeup of our whole system from top to bottom.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 18:25

P. S...
Toonie oot 😉

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 18:51

We were doing well against 15 men as well and, as I said, we were competitive in the games we lost. Hogg's error in Ireland cost us and the weather made the England game a lottery. I don't understand how these were Townsend's fault. Rugby fans seem to be just like football fans. They make their minds up about someone and ignore any evidence that contradicts their opinion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 19:20

We are a small Country with 2 professional teams to choose from
When Rugby was an amateur sport we were up there with the best of them
We have maybe gone backwards since going Pro and perhaps the other teams have improved

During the Vern Cotter years we improved and that carried over to Townsend's first couple of games ....But since he has introduced his own management methods and personality we have gone backwards

No coach can legislate for human error and mistakes but there are times during the 80 minutes that no two players know what each other is doing or going to do

We met a young French team today who collapsed mentally as they are prone to do when under pressure

It was a good win but compared to the England v Wales game it was 3rd rate at best
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 19:42

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 19:50

''We met a young French team today who collapsed mentally as they are prone to do when under pressure''

That doesn't tally with the predictions that were being made by rugby pundits before the game. Is it a Scottish trait to underplay any sporting success we achieve? Some Pars' fans suffer from it as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 20:37

Could be wee eck but it is a game with a funny shaped bouncy thing and 30 individuals to add to the foibles

A win is a win..... and a pundit is just that...... its an opinion

I love it when Scotland win especially against the bigger.. stronger.. faster guys but these days are few and far between now
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Mar 21:17

Great performance today and brilliant atmosphere! Was fortunate to speak to WP Nel after the match and he was happy for Townsend who has taken a lot of stick the squad according to him are 100% behind him. Asked him about Fin Russell but all he said was he isn’t in our group at the moment so basically no comment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 12:24

now postponed until Oct due to the coronavirus lock down measures.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 12:40

What's been postponed?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Mar 13:48

France v Ireland has been postponed. Wales v Scotland is still on at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Mar 15:12

Wales v Scotland tomorrow has now been postponed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Mar 16:35

Wonder how many Scots travelled before the postponement ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 13 Mar 21:42

Most of them

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 14 Mar 09:52

10,000 according to the paper this morning
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 14 Mar 13:12

I believe there were loads of Italians in Dublin by the time that game was cancelled
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Mar 21:09

Townsend taking a 25% wage deferral and Dodson a 30% wage deferral

Am I reading this right ? It is not a wage cut but money that will be paid back to the pair of imposters at a later date ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Mar 22:05

Think you are correct don’t know Dodson at all but imo Townsend is a decent guy. Saying that they should both have done the decent thing and taken a hefty wage cut like most have had to do.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Mar 23:09

The reports are a bit ambiguous. 'Deferral' suggests their full salaries are only being delayed but they also say it's for a period to the end of August which may just mean they're on reduced salaries till then then revert to full salaries. The coaches of Edinburgh and Glasgow are also 'deferring' full salaries until then.

Steve Clarke has accepted a 10% reduction as have Ian Maxwell and Neil Doncaster.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Mar 23:22

There's a bit of an online meltdown about this deferral and the fact they declared the season null and void after handing out three league trophies. They couldn't pick their nose at the moment. Dodson just needs to go along with the rest of the exec and his lapdog toonie. Total car crash of a tenure, one blunder after another and taking a million quid into the bargain for doing it. The clubs need to take the power back and get shot asap. Done exactly the same money thing in his previous job with large year on year increases and left under a cloud eventually.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Apr 17:34

Wage deferral now changed to wage cut
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 16:40

Beeb showing extended highlights of the 1990 grand slam game on Saturday I was at that game
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 18 Apr 20:24

What a great highlights coverage
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 19 Apr 09:46

The forwards were big, but not giants, there were few dangerous tackles and it didn't take ages to set the scrum. Did Scotland get its own coverage in those days or was that a one-off because of the significance of the match?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 16:08

BBC Scotland tonight 7pm ish France v Scotland the famous Toony back flick to Hastings game
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 16:21

Thanks, Bpp. That'll be worth a watch.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Apr 16:53

No worries wee eck also noticed the main BBC had the 1988 Wales v Scotland on this afternoon So you should be able to get that on catchup
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 May 09:12

BBC Scotland Saturday 19.15

1999 France v Scotland .....A cracker
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 May 16:27

I'm not a big rugby fan, only watch the internationals and understand about half of the rules, but do enjoy the six nations and been to a few games at murrayfield...

But didn't realise Scotland have never won the six nations!? Came as a shock for some reason

Post Edited (Thu 07 May 16:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 May 16:40

Yes but surely you are aware that it's only been called the six nations since 2000.
We have however won it when it was known as the five nations... Quite a few times

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 May 17:20

Yeah knew we'd won the five nations, just assumed we'd have won the 6 at least once
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 May 17:28

Nope... We've been continuously rank rotten since it was expanded ... We're predictable at least 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 May 17:47

We have gone backwards since we changed from Amateur to Professional
Back in the Amateur days we could hold our own

We have only 2 Pro clubs to choose from and I know we have one or two players at other clubs who are available

England have 12 clubs in the Premier to choose from and I think 12 in the Championship

There was talk a few years back of a third pro team up in Aberdeen but that never happened

So all things considered we are what we are
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 May 19:15

Tries can no longer be scored by grounding the ball against the posts, World Rugby has announced.

The increasing size of post protectors, for safety reasons, meant it had become "difficult for teams to legally defend this area", said the global governing body.

The change is effective immediately.

Makes sense
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 May 15:12

We came very close to winning the world cup in '91.
But for a missed short penalty in front of the posts and a late drop goal from Rob Andrew (finished 6-9) we would have been in the final that Engurlund went on to win.
https://youtu.be/uv7BpYVkeic

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 13 May 16:21

England lost the '91 final to Australia.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 May 16:29

Scotland v Ireland 1989 BBC Scotland 19.15 Saturday another guid game
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 May 16:49

Quote:

Bandy, Wed 13 May 16:21

England lost the '91 final to Australia.

Lol I just assumed that was the one they won. Ah well we woulda gubbed the Aussies anyway.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 20:20

Without the benefit of the TMO did Ivan Tukelo drop the ball before his first 2 tries and was the 3rd suspect as well
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net