DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 What constitutes stockpiling....
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 14:42

I was wondering how much was too much given the comments in the press.

We bought in a bit more canned stuff last week just in case me and wife came down with something and the kids couldn't get out. None of our normal fresh meat and veg turned up though, so it about levelled out.

The Retail Consortium lady was just saying that there was 1Bn pounds more food in households than before.

Assuming 27m households that about 37quid extra on a weekly shop (or two, I wasn't quite sure what time window she was referring to).

I know some folk will be going nuts, but that didn't seem such an excessive amount to me which they had been indicating.....the supply chain margins must be really thin. I'm sure a couple of weeks will let the supply catch up. The bottleneck appears to be people and lorries so it should be relatively easy to fix.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What constitutes stockpiling....
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 16:20

In Aldi yesterday morning to get some bits and almost everyone had a pack of bog roll.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 16:34

Everyone has a bottom

Post Edited (Sat 21 Mar 16:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 16:46

In London this morning folk standing all the way round the car park at Tesco waiting to get in at 6am ,I would say are not casual shoppers

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 17:03

Was in Lidl on the Bridges in Edinburgh just there and they had everything I needed, including eggs, carrots and tatties, but were being strict about quantities.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 17:34

Toilet roll is clearly the modern day woodchip or anaglypta. Similarly when this is all over we will all be so much healthier having adopted a Mediterranean pasta diet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 17:46

Like it parplod
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 17:47

To be fair toilet roll is one of those items I wouldn't want to run out of.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 18:15

I think the shops and supermarkets have now just about got it right with the allowance of 1 item per customer

The original 4 per customer was wiping shelves out big style and many elderly vulnerable were losing out

Our local Nisa store who are a credit to our Town have split the toilet rolls down into 1 per bag and they are free when you do a shop with them
They also deliver to all us auld codgers as well

There are many greedy selfish people going round buying as much and as often as they can with no consideration for others

I'm alright Jack all over again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 19:02

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 19:34

🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 19:35

Indeed BigJ I could improvise but I'd rather not have to wipe my backside with old towels and then stick them on a boil wash.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 19:43

Aye Towk pound them in the boiler with the big wooden plunger and then put them through the wringer before hanging them on the line with the wooden clothes pegs that the gypsies selt ye :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 19:52

Haha aye I'd hate to have to cut up my best benidorm beach towel.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 21:38

Denmark have ended panic buying very easily. One hand sanitisers €2 , two hand sanitisers € 90......job done.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 21:57

Still remember torn up papers as bog roll many many years ago.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 22:09

Aye Donj plenty Daily mails and daily express out there if need be.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 22:12

Can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: penapar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 22:26

Quote:

desparado, Sat 21 Mar 21:38

Denmark have ended panic buying very easily. One hand sanitisers €2 , two hand sanitisers € 90......job done.

Read this on twiter the other day, great way to stop bulk buying, surprised it has not had greater coverage

penapar
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 07:49

Turns out it was 3 weeks. Which means, on the backdrop of people eating out much less, that the same people who have diverged from the WHO PPE guidance because they dont have enough of the right equipment are now telling everyone else that they should be ashamed for increasing their weekly shop by, on average, 12 pounds.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 09:17

Some people have been spending a lot less though Ipswich. Especially those whose shifts make it impossible to get to the shops in the morning or who can't get a spot for delivery.

Are you telling me that queues of dozens of folk waiting at opening times are normal? Are three week waits for online shops normal?

Averages, especially means, are misleading.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 09:31

Quote:

desparado, Sat 21 Mar 21:38

Doesn’t stop different members of the same family going in at staggered times but good initiative to stop the absolute rockets in our society

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 10:24

Good point about some folk spending less wotsit. Of course, the points about means and queues are obvious but the overall increase does seem to suggest that there's not much slack in the system at all.

Hopefully they can get this sorted so there's enough to go around.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 10:39

I think there probably isn't much slack in the system because the supermarkets have never needed it before.
Their systems will be set up for efficiency with minimum waste.
Supermarkets will probably know how much they are going to sell of each product to within a few percent every week.
They will know about specific fluctuations and can prepare a few days or weeks in advance (ice cream sales in hot weather, beer during football tournaments, etc), but the amount of pasta and bog roll they sell is probably unbelievably stable so even a 12 percent increase will cause problems.
Add to this the fact that some drivers will be off sick and it makes it more complicated.

So the answer to the initial question is anything more than you would usually buy (especially when everyone is doing the same)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 11:40

Most supermarkets will work on a just in time approach to avoid needing large store rooms. Aldi is particularly good at this. Problem that then occurs is that people clear out the shelves on a Tuesday but the next delivery is Friday. People see empty shelves and panic so buy loads when it comes in on Friday. The process repeats itself until there's no space in freezers/garages and people go out and buy new freezers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 12:27

I'm not sure that we can take t as a given that both countries would be equally on top of things regarding testing, either before or after reporting the first recorded case. I suspect that both will be using different systems and projection methods based on individual circumstances.

Not even deaths is i good measure really since there iscould different health provision in each country but, unless either health system breaks down entirely or we test everyone, it seems to me to be a more accurate figure to track progress.

Testing everyone we can is the key going by those countries who have contained it a bit better.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 12:33

Wrong thread Wotsit but I get your points!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 12:40

Hah!

Life is confusing enough already, sorry!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 13:13

A lot of supermarket leftover/nearly out of date goes to the homeless. I wonder if that supply will be drying up now as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 13:35

It hasn't dried up quite yet but it will. I delivered a dozen food parcels this week and they were all decent quality. This is still stuff that made it through before the New Reality really took hold though, so who knows what the future holds?

One thing that has had an impact for a few services is the restrictions on quantities for online supermarket shops since many services top up donations this way.

Souper Saturday normally buys enough for 75 cooked breakfasts for instance, but were obviously unable to do that this weekend. However there were loads of amazing businesses and individuals willing to help and I understand that folk got fed.

My work is looking at finding a way to get takeaway vouchers or food deliveries out to folk but things are still a bit uncertain with regard to food supply for people who are homeless or vulnerably housed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 13:41

Sadiq Khan apparently taking 600 rooms in Hotels in London to take homeless people off the streets to keep them safe from có id.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net