DAFC.net
Home 07 April 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cancelled package holiday refunds
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 22 Mar 22:43

For anybody who might have issues in respect of claiming refunds.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html

Especially the last two paragraphs.

I'm not clear on the scenario for those who arranged DIY holidays, or went through online travel agents who cobbled together flights, transfers and accommodation as separate elements.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cancelled package holiday refunds
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 10:42

Thanks VEE I hadn't seen that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 10:46

My Son in law paid for himself my daughter wife and granddaughter flights to New York with his credit card ....If cancelled is he covered by the bank ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 10:49

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 23 Mar 10:46

My Son in law paid for himself my daughter wife and granddaughter flights to New York with his credit card ....If cancelled is he covered by the bank ?

Should be a section 75 claim there I would think.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 10:51

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/holiday-rights/

Gives more details.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 12:39

Underlines the advantages of booking a full package holiday from the likes of TUI rather than DIY.

A lesson we learnt in Malta ten years ago when the volcanic eruption in Iceland grounded flights.

We were on a Thomas Cook package and they had a duty of care to provide accommodation and meals until a flight home was laid on - they just kept us in the hotel on same HB basis and chartered an Air Malta plane to repatriate us.

The DIY punters in the same hotel were obliged to pay for ongoing accommodation etc. and eventually had to arrange own way home at considerable expense and inconvenience.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 12:55

Travel Republic have offered a credit note (to be used in the next 6 months for a holiday before the end of 2021) which I've refused. Re-booking a holiday is absolutely the last thing on my mind just now.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 13:26

Thanks LPF
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 13:34

You are very welcome BPP.

Da that's a bit of a shocker. I've just cancelled my parents trip to Venice with Lastminute and I had an automated message saying I would get a full refund with a request not to contact them as they'll be busy and it will take up to a month to process. It didnt state whether it would be cash or vouchers. I think a lot of people would accept a voucher but attaching a time limit on them is a disgrace especially for six months. Nobody is going to want to travel that quickly. I hope you get that resolved to your satisfaction.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 14:19

Just to clarify, it's only to be booked by the end of September. The holiday can be taken before the end of 2021.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 14:29

And what if this doesn't calm do they refund you then?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 14:30

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 23 Mar 14:19

Just to clarify, it's only to be booked by the end of September. The holiday can be taken before the end of 2021.

Sorry despite the fact its clear in your post I completely misread it!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 15:14

Quote:

donj, Mon 23 Mar 14:29

And what if this doesn't calm do they refund you then?

Not sure. I've refused it anyway. Will keep you bored.....I mean posted

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 15:26

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 23 Mar 10:46

After much haggling on Twitter I have managed to get a refund from American Airlines for an internal flight, they were initially only offering a voucher to be used by the end of the year.

Have filled in refund form for Aer Lingus flights, Edinburgh to Chicago via Dublin, still waiting on a response, flights were 2 weeks away.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 15:52

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 23 Mar 13:34

You are very welcome BPP.

Da that's a bit of a shocker. I've just cancelled my parents trip to Venice with Lastminute and I had an automated message saying I would get a full refund with a request not to contact them as they'll be busy and it will take up to a month to process. It didnt state whether it would be cash or vouchers. I think a lot of people would accept a voucher but attaching a time limit on them is a disgrace especially for six months. Nobody is going to want to travel that quickly. I hope you get that resolved to your satisfaction.

I've just had a package holiday cancelled by Lastminute.com and received an email from them saying they will refund in the form of a voucher which will last for 12 months. I've tried to contact them (to tell them that I can't travel again in that time period and that I insist on the money being refunded onto my credit card) umpteen times but to no avail, phone keeps ringing out after an hour on hold, emails bounce back etc.

My holiday insurance covers me for the Covid-19 cancellation but they say to contact Lastminute.com first to get refunded but this is proving impossible. They did say that they would be 'sympathetic' to my claim if I was still unable to get in touch with Lastminute.com, however and that due to how busy they were, I have to contact them 5 days before I was due to leave on holiday to initiate my claim.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 15:57

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.lastminute.com

Doesn't make good reading for some of us. . . .

Post Edited (Mon 23 Mar 17:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 16:14

Quote:

MikeyLeonard, Mon 23 Mar 15:57

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.lastminute.com

Doesn't make good reading for some of us. . . .

Thanks for the heads up mate. I've actually got my own holiday booked through them for November and have only paid the deposit so I could use the vouchers as part payment for that but it's not great for anyone else that has had their travel plans hoofed.

Have you looked at the Section 75 claim if you were sensible enough to book it on a credit card? I stupidly used my debit card so I cant go down that route.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 17:56

Yeah, that's my third option. It was actually someone from my credit card provider who suggested going to the travel company first, travel insurance provider next then if all that fails, credit card provider so I should manage to get my refund from one of those routes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 18:28

Problem with them giving you a voucher is that "will they still be in business?"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 19:10

A very good point actually.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 19:54

"Problem with them giving you a voucher is that "will they still be in business?" "

If they are ATOL registered there is a fund to repay customers where a member company goes under.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-package-holiday-has-been-changed-or-cancelled

From what I've read there is so much pressure on this fund right now that there are fears it will run out of cash - cue the government to cover refunds.

The recent Thomas Cook debacle would have been a major hit.

If the firm is not ATOL registered then there is obviously a problem.

I suspect we'll see a very different travel industry apres le deluge.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 20:11

Does that still apply though if you havent rebooked your holiday and still hold the vouchers? I thought you got treated as a creditor in that scenario but I might be completely wrong on that point.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 21:39

You can still raise a chargeback if you used a debit card if the retailer is refusing to refund you.Unlike Section 75 it is a voluntary arrangement but it is worth enquiring with your bank.The one bonus of a chargeback instead of Section 75 is that the minimum transaction amount is Β£10 instead of Β£100 so if you have only paid a smaller amount as a deposit you could claim back under normal circumstances.

The time limit on making your Chargeback claim depends on which company issue your card:

MasterCard: You need to start your claim no more than 120 days after your transaction went wrong

Visa: Within 120 days of the transaction going wrong (or 180 days for an overseas transaction)

American Express: Within three months of the transaction

Another point worth noting is that if in future you want to be covered by Section 75 all you need to do is pay Β£1 on your credit card, you can pay the difference by alternative means and still be covered for the full amount.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 09:00

"Does that still apply though if you havent rebooked your holiday and still hold the vouchers? I thought you got treated as a creditor in that scenario but I might be completely wrong on that point"

Going by those articles, as I read it, the customer is entitled to a refund if the travel company etc. fails - with the government the eventual guarantor.

Like you I'm open to be educated otherwise.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 09:24

anyone know what happens if you have insurance for the duration of your holiday but owing to flight cancellations, that period has elapsed?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 09:42

There was an excellent guest on Kaye Adams show discussing travel refunds. I am sure you can listen to it through the listen again function. Would advise to listen as he was extremely helpful. Seems anyone who is not ABTA affiliated could have these troubles. He even requested cases be sent to him based upon his guidelines and he would take to government level.
Update. The show was last week.

Post Edited (Tue 24 Mar 09:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 09:55

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Tue 24 Mar 09:24

anyone know what happens if you have insurance for the duration of your holiday but owing to flight cancellations, that period has elapsed?

I'm certainly no expert on travel insurance but I'd assume that as the flight was cancelled when the insurance was in existence then the policy would apply. It might be difficult getting through but I'd try the insurance company.

There might well be a claim under the EU airline regs as well if your daughter and her boyfriend were bumped from the flight so they could sell the seat at a higher price.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 10:16

They tripled price of seats and still taken.
I'm waiting to hear from them.

I would imagine the insurance should cover them but she told me that pandemics were not insure, however her airline has a duty of care under article 9 of the EU regulation 261/2004 but F**K that, if you can make a quick buck

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 11:50

I've just had an email from Aerlingus asking if I want to upgrade my seat on my Chicago flight a week on Friday!!!😑😑😑
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 11:56

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 24 Mar 11:50

I've just had an email from Aerlingus asking if I want to upgrade my seat on my Chicago flight a week on Friday!!!😑😑😑

Flight will possibly be very quiet. You will have 2 or 3 rows to yourself. 😏😏

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 12:52

I wish!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 13:03

Quote:

MikeyLeonard, Mon 23 Mar 17:56

Yeah, that's my third option. It was actually someone from my credit card provider who suggested going to the travel company first, travel insurance provider next then if all that fails, credit card provider so I should manage to get my refund from one of those routes.

That’s a fob off, I would go back and firmly explain you want a chargeback under section 75 as is your right. If you claim on insurance you will have an excess that you will lose anyway but that’s not the point it is the fastest most certain way to get your money back (they just don’t like doing it but that’s not your problem)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 13:43

It is your right but to have a water-tight claim you should contact the retailer in the first instance.Under Section 75 you are only covered if it is the case

(a) that the supplier cannot be traced,
(b) that the debtor has contacted the supplier but the supplier has not responded,
(c) that the supplier is insolvent, or
(d) that the debtor has taken reasonable steps to pursue his claim against the supplier but has not obtained satisfaction for his claim.

If you haven't taken those steps in theory your claim could be rejected. (I have seen it happen)

I wouldn't go down the insurance route, unless your Section 75 claim is declined but you should always contact the retailer in the first instance where possible.

Post Edited (Tue 24 Mar 16:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 16:23

Thanks folks.

I can't contact lastminute.com as they haven't answered any emails, when I call I am put on hold which can last for around an hour before the phone goes dead. Apparently, I'm not alone.

My travel insurance is through my bank account with Bank Of Scotland and my credit card is also with BOS so it seems strange they would fob me off when I'm dealing with the same bank ?

Anyway, I've sent an email to lastminute.com refusing a voucher (if they read it) so I at least have an electronic trail to back up my attempts of trying to contact them should I need to go down credit card route.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 16:36

"I've just had an email from Aerlingus asking if I want to upgrade my seat on my Chicago flight a week on Friday!!!😑😑😑 "

Have they offered an upgrade for the same day return flight when you are denied entry at O'hare International ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 19:03

The plane will be that empty that I've suggested to my wife that we join the mile high club!😜😜😜

I can't tell you the answer!πŸ˜‘πŸ’”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Mar 09:39

The crisis in the aviation industry has just impacted harder.

https://www.cityam.com/aviation-services-firm-john-menzies-axes-17500-staff-over-coronavirus-hit/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 28 Mar 19:48

We're hoping to go on a cruise, the plus point is that it starts in November. However the ship has not yet being fitted out so it hopefully hasn't got any virus aboard it.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 16:39

I appreciate that this is not the top concern for people at the moment but lastminute.com have cancelled my cancellation request and reinstated the holiday despite the fact the flights are cancelled and will not be flying in a fortnight.

In the email I received it said there were no refunds as per the Ts&Cs despite taking a screenshot of a message stating I was entitled to a full refund when I cancelled the booking last time.

Going in to the manage booking option gives the cancellation option again with confirmation that a full refund is due so I've cancelled again.

Just wanted to give other .netters that might have used lastminute a heads up that you might need to cancel holidays that you previously already cancelled.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 16:56

This is happening all across the travel industry, companies and airlines trying to play the "Get Out Of Jail" card in respect of refunds.

Holidays that are arranged as separate standalone components by these firms especially.

Fully integrated package deals from the likes of TUI are better protected by ABTA.

ABTA link

This crisis has clearly identified the disadvantages of DIY arrangements compared to fully packaged holidays.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 21:44

Had full refunds from American Airlines and Aer Lingus, credit notes were mentioned but I insisted on refunds which have now appeared on my credit card statement.

Still chasing my meet & greet car parking, they've suggested I claim from my travel insurance, even though they weren't open!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 22:38

Glad you've managed to get the majority back!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Apr 10:49

Bit of arguing on Twitter but some success!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Β© 2020 -- DAFC.net