DAFC.net
Home 16 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Spike Milligan
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 20:18

Did anyone see Spike on the London Palladium last night? Me and my wife were laughing nearly non-stop. He was so far ahead of his time. Could still top anyone around now.

What's your favourite Spike memory?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Spike Milligan
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 20:59

One of my favourites - Dustbin Dance:

https://youtu.be/D0EBIZahkig
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 21:24

I have all his books and went to see him in Edinburgh .....one of my all time Hero's and influence ....Oh aye and a T-Shirt
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 21:39

I went to see him live at the Linder Auditorium in Johannesburg on what he called his first farewell tour. He was brilliant and on form that night, staying behind for quite a while, brilliantly responding with a rapier wit to questions thrown from audience members at the end of his show. Was a wonderful and very very funny evening. I too was almost laughing non stop.

While at times he could be unfunny and difficult; when on form he was a wonderfully funny and creative genius. For me he is one of the very few people that I remember exactly where I was when I heard they had died (and there aren't too many of these).

I have a biography of him which I last read probably over a decade ago (written I think by his long time lady manager/assistant). One great story involved Peter Sellers arriving at Spike's door late at night after he had gone to bed. Sellers was upset that his new Rolls Royce he had just taken delivery of was making a rattling sound somewhere towards the boot. Sellars persuaded Milligan to get into the boot and gave him a piece of chalk with instructions to please use the chalk to mark where the noise was coming from. With Milligan in the boot in his pyjamas Sellars drove him around so he could listen for, and hopefully mark the source of the noise. Sellars planned to take in the car into the dealer that sold it to him the next day. However while out driving Sellars was stopped by Police and asked to open his boot. Upon seeing Spike Milligan in his pyjamas the officer was supposed to have matter of factly said "Oh it's you" as if this was perfectly normal (considering who was involved).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02qLUMRqN0

Post Edited (Tue 24 Mar 10:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Barry 1968  
Date:   Mon 23 Mar 22:36

Nothing beats his story about Warrington Minge.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 00:10

I can't remember which book I read it in, but the Spike story that immediately comes to mind is when he talks of his childhood and going with his mother every Sunday to church.

"She would always put a shilling in the plate for the poor of the parish. I don't know why... because WE were the poor of the parish!"

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 00:20

Was more a fan of his writing tbf than his TV which was more miss than hit but I guess, like Python that made the best bits even better as it was always creativity.

His war memoirs are fantastic. Often hilarious and at times touching beyond words.
I felt for him in his Italy momoirs as he was clearly besotted and in love with a local girl and while it never lasted, his writing and memories of her were very real and you could feel it in the words.

He's one of my favourite ever people. I'm not sure I'd like to have met him as we wouldn't have got along but from afar, he had the sharpest wit and a compassionate advocate of animal rights.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 08:28

Quote:

Barry 1968, Mon 23 Mar 22:36

Nothing beats his story about Warrington Minge.

That was Peter Sellers

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 24 Mar 11:54

Fred Fernakapan is one of his classics!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net