DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Big shout out to...
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 05:57

All the workers who have somehow been classed as “essential” that are being forced to go to work during this mental period. Putting your’s and your families lives at risk so you can sell paint or materials for plumbers in their emergencies like finishing bathrooms are putting outside taps in. Even when other branches for your organisation are being closed yet you have somehow to stay open as you make the most profit, erm I mean deal with the most emergencies, you are still out on the “front line” putting the countries health before your own. Nobody is forcing them you say? A thinly-veiled threat of having no job to come back to once this is all over due to being uncooperative is sometimes enough to put the fear into folk who have families, mortgages and/or debt. You are the unsung hero’s!

PROFIT BEFORE LIVES.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Big shout out to...
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 09:26

Hey c'mon you are in lockdown unless you work in Supermarkets and other food shops,
Pharmacies,
Off-licences and licensed shops,
Petrol stations,
Newsagents,
Bicycle shops,
Home and hardware stores,
Launderettes and dry cleaners,
Garages,
Pet shops,
Post offices,
Banks,
and a whole load of other organisations and companies that managed to wangle a special exemption from the council or government.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 09:49

A lot of the folk who are highly valued in the present crisis aren't so highly valued when it comes to pay reviews. Jeremy Corbyn touched on that in the Commons yesterday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 09:58

We're currently finding out that the definition of 'essential' is actually pretty different to what we have been led to believe.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 10:03

TOWK theres only 2 on that list I've got issues with. Newsagents and off licences. I'd argue the rest are essential or pretty close to it.

I'm sure a lot of the others are being extremely careful even though they're open.

Construction sites are acting pretty irresponsibly if the footage of the canteen on LinkedIn this morning is real. Scary stuff

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Thu 26 Mar 10:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 10:09

My employer still taking the stance that they are going by what the uk government are saying as opposed to the advice the Scottish Government are giving. Uk government saying everybody regardless of job they do should be at work if they cannot work at home. Scottish Government saying it should only be people who are providing a key service in the battle against Covid-19. I’m pretty sure if the advice was the opposite way round they would be listening to Scot Gov.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 10:15

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 26 Mar 10:03

TOWK theres only 2 on that list I've got issues with. Newsagents and off licences. I'd argue the rest are essential or pretty close to it.

I'm sure a lot of the others are being extremely careful even though they're open.

Construction sites are acting pretty irresponsibly if the footage of the canteen on LinkedIn this morning is real. Scary stuff

My wife works in boots pharmacy as a dispenser. I can assure you they are not being protected. Boots have provided no PPE or even any guidance and have left it to local shop managers. Without any equipment all they have been able to do is limit the number of people in the shop at any one time. Currently 4 but soon to be 2. The shop has earned more this year so far than for the whole of the last 2 years put together. So who's making money out of this then?

Just as an aside a man came in yesterday to ask if they had anything for a persistent dry cough. He was quickly ushered out of the shop and the manager had to tell him why that was inappropriate.

People are still being idiots.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARS64  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 15:54

Is it not time to name & shame these employers who put profit before people. I for one know of an employer in Dunfermline who is forcing get their employees to go to work with the veiled threat of redundancy & also not practicing distancing in the workplace. Disgusting!!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 18:10

This is why unions are important. Speak to your union rep if you feel correct procedures are being flouted.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 18:13

Some jobs are non union.
I know cos I worked for a strictly non union employer for 14 years.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 18:46

Quote:

jake89, Thu 26 Mar 18:10

This is why unions are important. Speak to your union rep if you feel correct procedures are being flouted.

Who's in unions these days?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 19:11

Get them named and shamed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 19:56

I've always been in the union. Depressing that some organisations don't have them or people don't join.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 20:11

If you're not in any union you can still report workplace safety violations to the STUC. These are issues for all workers, not just those represented by a union.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 20:54

Quote:

jake89, Thu 26 Mar 19:56

I've always been in the union. Depressing that some organisations don't have them or people don't join.

Never been in a union and never needed one. Now retired so don't think I'll ever need one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 21:26

Quote:

jake89, Thu 26 Mar 19:56

Agreed Jake.

Anyone can join a union, even if your workplace doesn't have one.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 21:40

Not always the case trust me.
Some employers will find a legitimate reason to get rid of you if they are anti Union.
Mind you... I'm going back 10 years... Might be different nowadays

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Fri 27 Mar 00:18

Quote:

widtink, Thu 26 Mar 21:40

Not always the case trust me.
Some employers will find a legitimate reason to get rid of you if they are anti Union.
Mind you... I'm going back 10 years... Might be different nowadays

Oh, I've no doubt some employers could be like that but anyone who works for any company, wishing to join a union can do so.

Post Edited (Fri 27 Mar 00:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 27 Mar 09:52

"Is it not time to name & shame these employers who put profit before people. I for one know of an employer in Dunfermline who is forcing get their employees to go to work with the veiled threat of redundancy & also not practicing distancing in the workplace. Disgusting!!"

Who is that ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Mar 09:55

Please DO NOT name the employer on here.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 27 Mar 10:31

My point exactly.

Calls to name and shame on a public platform are fraught with danger.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net