DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 MOT news
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 11:22

Six month temporary extension granted to vehicles due after 30th March.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/drivers-given-temporary-mot-extension-due-to-coronavirus/

'Er indoors wee runabout due on Tuesday - that's a decent relaxation by the government.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: MOT news
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 11:26

My mot 22nd April.I had it booked in for the 4th but got call from garage yesterday saying cancelled as they close this Friday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 11:29

Here's the gov.uk link I put on the Coronavirus thread earlier

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 11:45

Just think of all these vehicles running around which might not be roadworthy. It's amazing how strict rules are ditched so quickly in an emergency.

I've just seen a message on social media saying you can't renew your road tax online if you don't have a current MOT!

Post Edited (Wed 25 Mar 12:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 12:51

Wee Eck that was definitely the case last time I tried it, on my old car my MOT used to run out 4 days after my car tax and it wouldn’t even let me do it. However I changed to monthly instalments and that worked, this was a few years now so might have changed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 13:06

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 25 Mar 11:45

Just think of all these vehicles running around which might not be roadworthy. It's amazing how strict rules are ditched so quickly in an emergency.

I've just seen a message on social media saying you can't renew your road tax online if you don't have a current MOT!

The MOT is a joke. All it does is say that in the one day your car is in the garage it is fit to drive safely. As soon as it leaves that assurance is gone
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 13:16

I'm sure "current" will still apply to vehicles that have an extension on their current mot's.
That would make sense anyway...

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 14:08

I suppose even with a few dodgy bangers going about it'll still be ok due to the roads being almost empty.

Having said that, I work on the street and I'm getting so used to them being empty that I've nearly been run over a few times because I'm paying less attention.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 19:35

Shame the MOT doesn't cover things like eejits modifying their exhausts to sound like someone rattling marbles in a drum.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 10:53

Wonder how the car insurance companies will deal with this, especially if your involved in a collision?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 10:55

Nothing they could do about it I'd imagine as the car will now still be legal.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 11:25

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 26 Mar 10:53

Wonder how the car insurance companies will deal with this, especially if your involved in a collision?

It has a valid MOT do they have to deal with claims.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 11:43

I checked the mot website and it still says the normal date so luckily I had already renewed my road tax or I might not have been able to pay my zero and would be driving an untaxed car.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 11:56

From gov.uk site

You can check your MOT history to see when you have been issued an exemption. It will not be updated straight away, so keep checking back if your new due date MOT is not yet showing.

You will not get a paper exemption certificate.

If your vehicle tax is due, you can tax your vehicle as soon as your MOT due date has been updated.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 13:12

Quote:

donj, Thu 26 Mar 11:43

I checked the mot website and it still says the normal date so luckily I had already renewed my road tax or I might not have been able to pay my zero and would be driving an untaxed car.

What date
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Mar 17:22

Like I said no problem for me but what I was saying is that if they haven't updated your mot on the site you end up driving an untaxed car.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 30 Mar 20:56

Have been trying to pay Vehicle Tax online for several days without success - tried tonight and the MOT status of the vehicle (which expires tomorrow) has been updated for six months, so payment went through OK.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net