DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The View from Ireland
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 12:57

https://www.irishpost.com/comment/virus-crisis-reveals-prime-ministers-absolute-incompetence-182331

The writer doesn't miss Bojo or Trumpet - mind you, they're sitting ducks.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The View from Ireland
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 13:18

Unfortunately the structure of US society means that this is unlikely to come without a very large death toll over there.

Hopefully it'll result in an end of Trump and a move to a fairer society, but that's going to be dependent on its citizens, so I'm not that hopeful...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 14:08

No punches pulled there GG most of it true tho :(
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 15:56

Ireland has the benefit of a small (just under 5 million) and generally more dispersed rural population

Just an observation.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 16:11

Pretty poor opinion piece. Light on fact, heavy on rhetoric.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 16:14

Beat me to the punch there TOWK. My feelings on the way BoJo has handled this are well documented over two threads but but there's actually very little on the specifics on where BoJo has gone wrong and even less on Trumps failings in the article.

Post Edited (Mon 06 Apr 16:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 16:42

I agree that it is a pretty vacuous opinion piece, light on specifics. Smug and parochial.

On the subject of Trump: When oh when will someone let loose at him at one of his press conferences? As this crisis deepens, there just has to be an "emperor's new clothes" moment.

Someone has got to stand up at the microphone and tell him directly, in no uncertain terms, what a complete mess he has made of the presidency. His incompetency is dazzling.

The whole world is watching and waiting for that moment. Surely it will come?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 18:14

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 6 Apr 16:11

Pretty poor opinion piece. Light on fact, heavy on rhetoric.

I'll turn that on it's head, TOWK. Do you think Johnson and Trump are doing a good job, as leaders of their respective countries?

I was sent a link to the article by a friend of mine. I thought it was a good read. It's no bad thing "to see ourselves as others see us." I think a few posters are a bit defensive in their reaction to the perceived criticism of our PM. For sure, compared to Trump, he's doing OK, but then Trump is the pits. Johnson has changed tack several times. It's only a couple of weeks since he was talking about "herd immunity." I used to think we couldn't get any worse than Regan and Thatcher.....

The jury is out on Johnson. I'm sure he's cemented and even increased his support, by throwing £billions at the working population in the furlough scheme, but the time to judge his leadership will be when the pandemic is finally over.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 19:12

Well you've summed it up in your last sentence there GG. The time to judge him will be when the pandemic is over which isn't what this journalist has done. All the journalist has done is went for the low hanging fruit by having a pop at Johnson without actually delving into reasons why.

"Of all the European leaders he has looked the most out of his depth, the most shallow, and vacuous."

That might well be true, I don't know as I'm not really familiar with the finer details of how the leaders of Italy, Spain, France and the Netherlands have handled this crisis. From a distance though it certainly doesn't look like he has done any worse. I wonder why the writer hasn't chosen to criticise Conte or Sanchez? I think he knows his readership and having a pop at the British PM, no matter who it is, would go down well.
Personally I think the author is demonstrating a bit of arrogance in how they think Ireland has handled their crisis in comparison to the UK.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Mon 6 Apr 21:36

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net