DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 NWOBHM
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Fri 15 May 17:32

I know there are people on here who either grew up with or were influenced by the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal....
It's been 40 odd years now since we all made this happen, so what are your favourite memories and your favourite bands?
For me it will always be Maiden and Tommy Vance on a Friday night, keeping us all informed..

Thoughts?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: NWOBHM
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 15 May 17:57

Never missed Tommy Vance and even had a request read out from him on the radio just before Donington more years ago than I care to recall.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Fri 15 May 19:08

Friday night rock show was brilliant. I remember falling asleep with the radio on one night and got woke up by the news at 3am telling us we were at war with Argentina.
A lot of those bands have stood the test of time. I've seen Saxon and UFO fairly recently but there's loads more still doing the rounds.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Fri 15 May 19:11

Never got into it, but was obsessed with Metallica in my younger years so I know if it wasnt for NWOBHM, Lars Ulrich would've been tennis player and there wouldn't be a Metallica. Or Megadeth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Fri 15 May 20:23

I was lucky, cos I got into metal/rock then, late 70's early 80's. Loved Maiden, saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang. Everything in fact. Great Bands and great music.

A wee story. Got really friendly with Holocaust, when they reformed, after Metallica had covered The Small Hours. They are from Edinburgh and John, singer/guitarist, was telling me that he doesn't need to work ever again due to the royalties that he gets from Metallica.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 May 21:00

Love UFO and Saxon, dd23, top acts
Thinking back, the thing about NWOBHM was that it dragged me away from crusty old farts like Purple and Rainbow and Sabbath, and introduced a whole new level of fresh and interesting stuff (obviously influential on today's bands too)

One thing I remember about the Friday Rock Show is that as well as the British stuff (which was the focus really...you never heard Aerosmith), there was an occasion which I fondly remember when I was introduced to (for me) a "new band".

Tommy was off sick, or possibly hungover, and Geoff Barton (editor of KERRANG!") sat in and the final song was the live version of "Black Diamond" by Kiss... I've been a Kiss fan ever since, for which I apologise profusely...

Amazing how much good stuff there was to discover back then...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Fri 15 May 22:21

I remember going to a lot of gigs at the Odeon in Edinburgh, late 70's early 80's - Motorhead, UFO, Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest, Magnum, Whitesnake to name but a few was never the same when the Odeon shut and gigs moved to the Playhouse
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Sat 16 May 08:27

Hey AWP these crusty old farts are still going https://youtu.be/QUW7PvvbbO4z

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sat 16 May 11:17

Saw Slade at the Odeon during their “heavy metal” phase supported by Spider - I was down at the front by the huge banks of speakers and was deaf for about 3 days afterwards.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 11:31

David, please... Even back then, they were crusty. They were old. They were farts.
I love Ian Gillan/David Coverdale/Glenn Hughes just the same as you, but they weren't exactly Joe Elliot or Bruce Dickinson at that point I'm afraid.

AJ27, I saw Spider supporting somebody and for the life of me I can't remember where, when or whom.
I do remember them being brilliant though. Wonder what happened to those guys?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 11:47

Was never a big fan of coverdale when he was in Deep Purple to be honest. And preferred Di'Anno in Maiden
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 11:54

You're a bloody Philistine, 67...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 11:56

😀😀😀😀😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 11:58

I did like some of diamond heads stuff. And Demon don't break the circle. First heard it on the Friday rock show
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 16 May 18:03

While all were vastly inferior to Adam and the Ants, I did have a soft spot for The Maiden back in the day. 🙂

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 18:17

Dinnae try and sook up here ya thinly veiled Goth... your alleged love for UK Subs doesn't fool me, son... your excessively theek theatrical makeup and penchant for feathery bunnets are a dead giveaway, as is the fact that you think that Marco Pirroni is a better guitarist than Dave Murray... my ancestors speet on your bouffant New Romantic opinion... PTOOO!

Man, that was quite refreshing, I haven't had a decent go at you in ages...

Hope you're well, squire x

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 16 May 19:09

If there is a maiden and adam and the ants venn diagram somewhere, I'm in the middle.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 May 20:01

Quote:

average white par, Sat 16 May 11:31

David, please... Even back then, they were crusty. They were old. They were farts.
I love Ian Gillan/David Coverdale/Glenn Hughes just the same as you, but they weren't exactly Joe Elliot or Bruce Dickinson at that point I'm afraid.

AJ27, I saw Spider supporting somebody and for the life of me I can't remember where, when or whom.
I do remember them being brilliant though. Wonder what happened to those guys?

I saw them support Gillan.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 17 May 05:17

<<... Even back then, they were crusty. They were old. They were farts. >>

SEEEEEETHING... FUUUUUUUMING... RAAAAAAGING.... oldies everywhere, right now, are directing their contemptive glares in your direction, sunshine.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 May 10:15

Aye ok boomer...

:-)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 May 22:24

Any of you guys saw the Murder In The Front Row documentary about the Bay Area thrash scene? Absolutely fantastic piece of film making.

Such a buzz to have been around then. Saw Metallica at The Mayfair in Newcastle, exactly one week before Cliff died. Never have I been in such a manic, dangerous, awesome crowd. Was black and blue for weeks later.

Tremendous

Post Edited (Sun 17 May 22:25)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net