DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Peace and Quiet and Birdsong...
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 30 May 10:08

replaced by car noise, bbq's, loud music and shouting

can we keep lockdown for a bit longer please?
...really don't want it all just to go back to what it was before
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Peace and Quiet and Birdsong...
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 30 May 10:18

Agreed. It's been getting worse for past couple of weeks. The silence has made the wee fan dans in their jailbait wagons (mum's old Corsa with a straight through exhaust) more noticeable as they tear along Aberdour Road.

A few weeks ago a friend sent me a picture of Glasgow Road in Edinburgh. Normally this is one of the busiest roads in the country (in the top 5 for pollution). It was empty.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 30 May 10:21

Mossmoran breaking the silence out here, sounds like a safety valve has gone off, high pitch sound throughout the night.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 30 May 10:34

Noise is the one thing that's made constant working from home quite difficult for me. I'm very sensitive to it, especially when I'm tired, and I find that if I'm doing something that needs a lot of concentration then my head is throbbing if there's any kind of semi-loud music at the same time. The teenagers next door are generally OK, but I often get a burst of music at 3pm for an hour and sometimes a half-hour bagpipe practice which is a particular joy. They're generally quite considerate and it's unreasonable to ask folk not to make any noise at all, but it is hard to work through that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 10:40

yeah, i've said before that if we all work from home a lot more then we all need to appreciate that just because i'm off, doesn't mean my neighbour is as well (who probably doesn't want to hear my favourite band/dog barking/etc anyway)

it's funny because we're generally quiet as a family anyway. e.g. if we're sitting out in the garden, we don't feel the need to bring the speaker out with us out of consideration to those around us. we neve cut the grass on a sunday, as that's the day people (myself included) want to relax before starting work again.

bit of consideration needed all round, but everyone is so wrapped up in their own world they don't think about anyone else i guess...

Post Edited (Sat 30 May 10:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 30 May 11:04

So when do you cut the grass?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sat 30 May 11:09

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 30 May 11:04

So when do you cut the grass?

When it gets too long!

Touché!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 30 May 11:12

Did you just touché your own retort?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 30 May 11:14

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 30 May 11:12

Did you just touché your own retort?

Probably 🤷‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sat 30 May 11:30

Was out fly fishing last night and it done more for my mental health than anything I've tried for the last 10 wks. The only noise was the birds, the line swishing through the eyes of the rod and the slap of water on the underside of the boat. Maybe I had built it up as the "fix" but this morning I'm not stressed,worried or tired as I have been lately. Even caught a couple of fish.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 30 May 12:01

These early light mornings are not conducive to sleeping - then a couple of days ago the dawn chorus started at 3:45am !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 30 May 12:15

I kinda get what your saying but Sunday has always been lawnmower day up Dunnikier Estate & personally I don't have a problem with that. Surely that's not going to be barred under the "new normal" world some of you seem to crave?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 12:54

I'd love it if they're was one day per week where we could sit out and enjoy some peace and quiet... Like the guy above, i need that time to enjoy the garden, to hear the sound of nature and to read a book before going back to work.
Hearing petrol strimmers and lawnmowers being fired up all around kinda ruins it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 13:08

Quote:

shrek par, Sat 30 May 11:30

Was out fly fishing last night and it done more for my mental health than anything I've tried for the last 10 wks. The only noise was the birds, the line swishing through the eyes of the rod and the slap of water on the underside of the boat. Maybe I had built it up as the "fix" but this morning I'm not stressed,worried or tired as I have been lately. Even caught a couple of fish.

Where were you fishing shrek?

My mate is a Craigluscar member and says that the stock they put in has been cleaned out by poachers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 30 May 13:23

Quote:

DBP, Sat 30 May 12:54

I'd love it if they're was one day per week where we could sit out and enjoy some peace and quiet... Like the guy above, i need that time to enjoy the garden, to hear the sound of nature and to read a book before going back to work.
Hearing petrol strimmers and lawnmowers being fired up all around kinda ruins it.

Living near the A92 it's like the Indy 500 is on most of the time. Lawnmowers are peace and quiet mate 😁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 31 May 09:02

Quote:

DBP, Sat 30 May 10:08

replaced by car noise, bbq's, loud music and shouting

can we keep lockdown for a bit longer please?
...really don't want it all just to go back to what it was before

Of course, then there are folks who won’t know a difference as their neighbours have been breaking lockdown rules since the very start...

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sun 31 May 11:00

At the start of lockdown, my neighbour took her kid with her to live at her boyfriends in Glenrothes and would only come back to her house (with her kid) to have people (with their kids) round to sit and drink wine in the garden. She’s been breaking the rules for ages and totally not even trying to hide it. It’s hard enough trying to explain to my 3 year old why he can’t see his friends and family without him seeing that it’s ok for the neighbours. There are some people who I’d be quite happy to see get a virus.

Post Edited (Sun 31 May 11:01)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 May 12:01

The wife's pal, who is high risk, was at her daughter's bbq on Friday night with another dozen folk!😡😡😡

Meanwhile my daughter is barricaded in her house!🤔🤔🤔
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 31 May 16:00

I’ve been lucky enough to have continued to work during all of this, but over the last few weeks, I’ve been finding it harder and harder not to get annoyed when I get home and look around and all I see is people essentially breaking rules and effectively getting pissed with friends whilst getting paid by the tax payer

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 May 18:53

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 31 May 16:00

I’ve been lucky enough to have continued to work during all of this, but over the last few weeks, I’ve been finding it harder and harder not to get annoyed when I get home and look around and all I see is people essentially breaking rules and effectively getting pissed with friends whilst getting paid by the tax payer

Agree and it gets my back up. Also now that lock down is releasing the neds in their Corsa’s (other vehicles also) are going to be dodging about much more often. Cycling is back to watching and listening to the speed and ferocity of the car coming up behind you :-(
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 31 May 19:35

The Corsa drivers are being held at bay as MaccyDs is still closed so they can't take their underage girlfriends there for milkshakes.

I think this question has been asked before, but why don't cyclists use the cycle paths? I don't cycle (been trying and failing to order a bike) but if I did, there's no danger I would choose to go on the road given all the fan dans driving around.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 May 19:56

Massive queue outside KFC today, they must all be starving!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 31 May 21:04

Quote:

jake89, Sun 31 May 19:35

The Corsa drivers are being held at bay as MaccyDs is still closed so they can't take their underage girlfriends there for milkshakes.

I think this question has been asked before, but why don't cyclists use the cycle paths? I don't cycle (been trying and failing to order a bike) but if I did, there's no danger I would choose to go on the road given all the fan dans driving around.

Funnily enough I borrowed a bike today to see if I wanted to get one and I ran the 5km to pick it up and as it’s the first time I’ve been on a bike for 15 years I took a route back to minimise road use and maximise cycle paths & trails. That meant my journey back was nearly 9km so maybe folk don’t want to double the length of their journey 🤷🏻‍♂️

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 31 May 21:09

Cycle paths are fine if you're out for a short, fairly slow run with children or you just want a gentle half hour of exercise but they're often not great if you're even slightly more serious than that. If you're out for a decent length ride then it's not great having to constantly stop to cross roads and pass walkers out with their dogs. Some of the surfaces are not suitable for a road bike either.

There's only two locally that I use and even then, not always. Fordell to Hillend is quite good, especially when you're coming uphill and the newish one from Thornton to the top of Kirkcaldy is OK as well. I did 50 miles along to Crail and back today and noticed a new section of path near Anstruther. Didn't use it though, as it was just too short to be worthwhile. Noticeable increase in the number of people driving aggressively today though and surprisingly that included a few on motorbikes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 May 22:03

No large horse gifts on the Thornton path Socks?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Sun 31 May 22:16

A lot of the "cycle paths" aren't fit for purpose, like Socks says, if you are out for anything more than a saunter, with mountain bike tyres. The one through Grangemouth is particularly bad as to the untrained eye it will look like the cyclist is purposely just ignoring it to be a pr*ck but its completely unrideable.

I haven't noticed difference in the aggression in drivers but there are more cars out now and with that more scary moments but that is par for the course. The vast majority of people out there give you a good wide berth, I think the more cyclists on the road in the last decade and indeed the last 2 months means more drivers are partaking or have loved ones doing it, changes the mindset.

I think I am now of the opinion that lock down for society at large is over now, people are done with it and save for something horrific reoccurring its finished for good.

Post Edited (Sun 31 May 22:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 1 Jun 10:43

Sunday is long run day and half marathin distance in mid-day heat isnt fun so was a 6:15 alarm, up dressed and out the door. Long streth from bottom glen gates passed mckane park down to limekilns with nothing but the sound of wildlife and birdsong. One of my favourite routes locally as even though you are just mins away from the rosyth-cairneyhill road which is always busy especially with Lorries the road tends to be peaceful. Can mix it up by cutting into Pattismuir estate as well.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 22:11

Saw a pair of goldfinches today when out walking the dog ... first time I have seen them for many years ... stunning wee birds ... hope they are here to stay
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 22:22

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 7 Jun 22:11

Saw a pair of goldfinches today when out walking the dog ... first time I have seen them for many years ... stunning wee birds ... hope they are here to stay

Put some sunflower hearts out in your garden. They love them, as do the finches, tits, starlings, robins and the rest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 22:31

We've got a family of bluetits currently nesting in our bird box... Was watching the parents come and go for a wee while earlier.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 22:34

Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Collered Dove, Pigeons (will check my book to find out the breed) and even a rabbit in my garden. Deer and Oyster Catcher in the park just beyond the garden. Bees and butterfly at all the wild flowers. See some House Martins and Oyster Catcher on the way back from work.

Will miss all the wildlife when I eventually leave.

[IMG]https://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Fri 19 Jun 08:34

I had put up a bird house on the cycle path so the kids can look at at it when we were out on our daily walk. The bird house stayed there for weeks untill last week when I was at work the wife took the kids along the cycle path and noticed it had been ripped down with the bracket still attached to the tree. Thankfully nothing had been nesting in it as of yet due to the time of year we put it up. The kids love the walk as the wildlife on the cycle paths seems to have flourished since the lockdown started and now lifted slightly so much so where I stay in the flats next to east end I opened up the curtains ready to head out to work I thought 8 was seeing things when I seen a deer run passed my window up the road. Now weve even wrapped up old books to put along at random places for folk to lift and pass on also if things are going to get pinched I may aswell try and help out folk by reading some books. Today's walk is townhill woods after two days of walking townhill loch
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 20 Jun 05:01

Love the dawn chorus, listening to it now. I have had a particularly noisy Mistle Thrush in my garden for weeks now, what a racket but it has a beautiful song. I have been in this house for 9 years now and I am sure it is the first year I have had one.

Got loads of the usual suspects, but never seen any Goldfinches might put those flowers out as suggested to see if I can attract them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jun 11:33

Blo*dy pigeons cooing and wooing at 5 o'clock this morning!!!

Gimme a gun!!!😉🕊🕊🕊
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 04:29

On the recommendation of a gardening chap on my local radio station, I started hanging blocks of birdseed on the trees around my house when the lockdown started. Ever since I have been delighted by the range of birds that they attract to my garden.

In this part of Australia, the birdlife is generally quite colourful, but there is one particularly pretty bird that I don't think I had ever seen locally until I put the seeds out, and that is the rainbow lorikeet, a species of parrot.

They occasionally come in flocks to my garden and devour the blocks in minutes. Just seeing them close up in all their glory and listening to them chattering makes the whole exercise worthwhile.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 07:19

I have seen the rainbow lorikeet and fed them by hand with little pots of nectar but for the life cant remember where I done this with my wee girl. Obviously this was not done in the wild here in Scotland but Edinburgh rungs a bell for me
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 07:20

Just looked into it there and it is Edinburgh zoo that do it they have videos of it aswell
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net