DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Summer house
Topic Originator: bournetobeapar  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 23:11

I have a wee bit of space in the garden and I fancy a wee Sumer House, does anyone have any recommendations where I could get one please?
Thank you in advance.
Kenny

Never steal; the govermnent hates competition
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Summer house
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 28 Jun 23:28

I got a log cabin from Tuin. Very reasonably priced and easy to build. Highly recommended

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 13:03

Whatever you do, make sure that anything you build in your garden complies with your council regulations. I have a pretty large garden and about three years ago I decided to build a 5.0m x 3.5m studio kit in my backyard without planning permission. A HUGE mistake.

Living in a coastal village with plentiful trees and vegetation, I thought it was well enough hidden to never attract the council's attention. After all, the council had never paid me a visit in goodness knows how many years. However, I didn't figure on them using satellite pictures and drones...

The result was that they put me through two years of angst, threatened to have the whole thing pulled down and added some $20,000 to the cost of my project through enforced engineering surveys, revised architect drawings, planning permits, etc.

It was a very expensive mistake, one that I will never repeat again and something I would never wish on anyone. A lesson learned.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 13:13

Sounds nice area oz.Out of interest, I have a fear of spiders,do you get many huntsman spiders.Couple I know,came back after 6 months,after encountering them,they look like my worst nightmare!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 13:37

Yes, twin par, huntsmen are regular visitors I am afraid. I am more frightened of snakes. I have never seen them actually here on my property, but have seen them on the sand dunes near the beach, which is only 400 metres away...

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 14:21

Don't tell you that on those fancy,moving to Australia tv programmes!😃
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bournetobeapar  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 14:43

Thank you for the info reference council regulations OzPar, I’ll look into that. I'll check out Tuin also, da.

Never steal; the govermnent hates competition
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 15:23

Google "summerhouse 1mtr too high" for story on BirminghamLive
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 15:58

Also worth checking, then double checking the rules and regs to avoid any future ramifications.
My parents decided that they wanted to knock out the living room windows and put in patio doors leading to 3 large steps down to a large slabbed area in the back garden.
Done everything through a highly rated architect as planning permission was required... Job got done... They loved it... Everybody happy.
Then... A year later some inspector turns up and claims that the application should never have been granted without a handrail being added to the steps.
Although to be clear.. The application had been accepted without the handrail.
They then had to submit their drawings (through an architect... More money) within a certain amount of time (think it was 6 months) to get the job completed and an inspector would come back to check.
In between all this going on my father passed away so my mother had to get involved.
Just before the point of getting the handrail manufactured she got a visit from an inspector (a different guy) who said "nah you don't need a handrail... Everything is fine here". The whole job was ticked off as done and off he toddled.
You couldn't make it up.
So to sum up...
Check... Then check again.
P. S. ... A handrail would have totally spoiled the look of the whole area anyway 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBS  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 16:06

I got my small summerhouse from Dunster. As far as I am aware you don't need planning permission if the roof height is less than 2,5 metres.
https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/vantage-250-w2-5m-x-d2-5m
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 16:50

If you live in a new build estate or in a conservation area then worth checking deeds and planning.

My friend put a shed in his front garden for bikes. He lives in a terrace so didn't want to drag then through the house. There's a hedge at the front so you can't see this thing (maybe 4.5 feet high) but his neighbour got onto the council as they live in a conservation area. Best bit was that it replaced an old delapidated shed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 11:01

I'm getting a summerhouse in 3 weeks. 10 x 14ft, built complete with base. £1300 all in. There are some amazing deals out there at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 14:18

i remember getting a council guy out to sign off work that had been done in our kitchen (knocked through to the dining room)...

when he arrived, he seemed more interested in my decking that turnout to be more than 1m or something at one corner - the reason we wanted decking was because our old garden had a slop down one side.

in the end he just said it was fine (more ignored it) as otherwise it would have had to gone through similar stuff as noted above
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 14:41

Quote:

davepars, Fri 3 Jul 11:01

I'm getting a summerhouse in 3 weeks. 10 x 14ft, built complete with base. £1300 all in. There are some amazing deals out there at the moment.

Can I ask who you are using Davepars?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:31

Couldn't share link but search gumtree for 'summerhouse' and there's a guy in Kelty selling and installing them
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net