DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Thank You, Scotland
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 06:44

60 years ago today, was a watershed moment in my life. My family escaped the abject poverty in southern Italy by emigrating to Scotland. Both my parents worked on a dairy farm near Aberdour. It was hard work and long hours (they were up for morning milking at 3 am) but they were paid every Saturday. In Italy they had been tenant farmers on a small piece of land. Two thirds of the produce was the "rent" legally demanded by the land owner. Any animals on the land were split 50-50.

I started at the local primary school after the summer holidays, aged 7.5 years. I had no English, so I joined P1. There were no classroom assistants or Support for Learning teachers, but I was able to make good progress thanks to the efforts of Mrs McCrae and my classmates. I spent 6 months at each stage so that by the time I got to P7 I had caught up with my peers.

By this time, my family had moved to another farm, near Dunfermline, because Farmer Craig decided to retire and sold the farm. (The new owner brought his own farm workers so my parents were surplus to requirements.) My siblings and I continued to thrive in the Scottish education system, even though our parents spoke very little English and could not offer us any home support. (A family friend took me to see the Pars beat St Johnstone 4-0 in November 1963, confirming me as a Pars fan from that moment.) 🙂

After sitting my 'O'Grades, I applied to become a Telecommunications Engineer, but was knocked back because I was not born in the UK, a requirement of 3 generations, so I went back to school and sat my Highers. I had a particular passion for Chemistry so I ended up teaching in my former high school for 35 years, with 2 years at Glenwood HS sandwiched in between. 37 happy years, doing what I loved best, helping young people to learn to think rationally and critically and hopefully grow into well rounded individuals, ready for life beyond school.

I often wonder how things would have turned out if my family hadn't emigrated to Scotland all those years ago. I certainly wouldn't have had the opportunity to study beyond compulsory education age (14) in Italy at that time. Many of the kids of my age moved to the north of Italy and worked in factories for the likes of Fiat and Pirelli. I can't help thinking Somebody up there likes me......

I'm very grateful to my parents who continued to work on the farm until they retired, so that my siblings and I could complete our education. Most of my relatives have ended up working in chip shops, cafes or restaurants. I'm grateful too, to my adopted country, which made us feel welcome from Day 1 and gave my siblings and I the opportunity to realise our potentials.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Thank You, Scotland
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 07:29

Nice post GG. Many Italians have come here over the years, even more recently. I was “inducted” or “invited” to play with the Scottish Italian 5 a side team in the 90’s on occasions. Great fun but Italian was the language used in the dressing room and on the pitch. Fantastic group of players.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 08:25

Lovely post G.G.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 08:35

You are a shining example of why Scotland is a better place because of immigrants.
Just a pity we are shackled to the toxic xenophobia of Westminster so have no control over our immigration policies.

I love the song Scotlands Story by The Proclaimers which celebrates what immigrants have added to our wee country.

https://youtu.be/uOa64BUV5qU
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PeachtreePar  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 08:44

My grandparents were dairy workers as well. Often had to move around the country on short term contracts. It was the way of the land for generations. Such a dedicated and hard life with an early start each day.

Immigrants tend to be hard working and appreciative of opportunities. I think sad reflection today on how the narrative has changed. I think Scotland is a richer society for the immigrants it’s had over the years from Irish, Italian, Polish and further afar. I’m an immigrant myself a Scottish one in the US.

Loved your story and your contribution to society. Have a huge respect for teachers and ended up married to one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 08:45

A truly heart-warming post from probably our most prolific poster; for those of us brought up in West Fife, coming in contact with Italians was probably our first experience of immigrants although we may not have given their origins much thought at that time. They all seemed to be hard-working, friendly people who were appreciative of the opportunities they had been afforded by coming to Scotland. I think we should reciprocate - Thank you, Italy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 09:44

Used to go out with a girl from an Italian family, when they spoke about you they did so in Italian.

Bailed out when I got an offer I couldn't refuse!🤔😉😉😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 10:07

Good post GG.

I have been to Sardinia and Pisa, but would love to go to Barga one day dubbed “ The most Scottish village” in Italy.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 10:14

I'm from Italian stock myself - on my mother's side, so I don't have the surname to show it off.

Part of the Barga exodus, which has resulted in it calling itself, "The most Scottish town in Italy".

Our family did the chip shop thing. Used to have a shop in Inglis Steet and one in Abbeyview - one run by my grandparents, the other by my great uncle. The latter was a huge Pars fan and used to go to the games with my dad and I when I was young.

We used to stand behind the goal in the terracing and it seemed like half the support used to say hello to him, especially those walking past, making an early escape to beat the traffic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 10:38

Nice one GG. The Italians have made a huge contribution to Scotland over the years and indeed Australia too.

There's a street that I love to go to in Melbourne, Lygon Street, which is pure Italy. Ninety per cent of the shops are owned by Italians and that is the language you hear most spoken there. The best restaurants and coffee shops and delis and cake shops and ice cream parlours in the city are there and it is always a lively place to be.

Yes, the Italians make a mark wherever they go.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 10:47

Would that have been a Schiavone or a Macari, LA?

I just about remember the chippy in Inglis Street, DA-go. My friend's mum used to own/work in a clothes shop there and we would go in for some cash to spend on chips or sweets on our walk back from school.

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 10:48

Old GG has done alright. Shame he was pretty pihs at fitba'

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jimbo  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 10:49

Nice post GG. You taught me science circa 1980 and I think I turned out alright.
I have been working as an electronics engineer for over 30 years.
Your sister taught me for a year at primary school as well.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 11:06

Thanks for all the warm comments. I definitely felt a lump in my throat as I read them. Not surprised though, Scottish people in my experience are warm friendly and welcoming. Good listeners, too and always especially interested in learning about my background and how I came to live here.

I should have said in the OP that we actually set out from Italy by train, on the morning of June 28th. No Easyjet or Ryanair then and even if there had been, the fare would have been well beyond our means. Changes of train in Salerno and Rome meant we arrived in Milan on the morning of the 29th - a national holiday in Italy, so no trains wete running. We spent the day sitting in the station and in the evening someone rounded us up and took us to a large building, like an aircraft hangar, with rows of mattresses on the floor and we dossed down for the night. Next morning we embarked on a 17 hour rail journey to Calais and then the cross channel ferry to Dover. Midsummer or not, the sea was extremely choppy and my abiding memory was of passengers vomiting everywhere. Luckily, we hadn't had anything to eat, so I just managed the occasional empty retch. 🙂

A train to London Victoria, a taxi to Kings Cross another train to Edinburgh and then to Aberdour. Farmer Craig picked us up in his tractor and trailer and we piled on. Our farm cottage had two bedrooms, a bathroom, living room and kitchen. My mother wept tears of joy.....

Post Edited (Thu 02 Jul 07:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 11:06

Very interesting, and lovely post.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 11:23

Great addendum G.G. I've got a wee lump in my throat at reading that
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 11:27

How did your family end up in West Fife, GGR? Did you have a choice or was it sheer luck?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 12:03

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 1 Jul 11:27

How did your family end up in West Fife, GGR? Did you have a choice or was it sheer luck?

There was an older uncle, who had worked on a farm as a POW, Eck. After the war, he went home to get married, but kept in touch with an Italian friend he'd made in Dunfermline and through him got a job on a nearby farm. At that time, you could only come over if you had guaranteed work and accommodation. Some years later, my uncle injured his spine while working. The farmer asked him to get him two Italians to work on the farm and as he was unable to carry out heavy work, would act as their gaffer and translator. My dad came over in 1958 and only intended to stay until he had saved up enough to buy a bigger house, but the farmer had other ideas and convinced him to bring his family over. "You're a good worker and I'm a good boss", he told him. "Why would you want to go back to a peasant life in Italy?" He'd left my mum in Italy, with two kids and 7 months pregnant. Dad saw his younger son for the first time when he was 26 months.

Btw - prolific poster = someone with too much time on his hands, doesn't it. ☺

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 12:36

Thanks for that GG. Maybe we Scots not such a bad lot after all.

Italians generally seem to integrate quite easily into Scottish life which at a first glance is surprising. Italy in my experience is a land of bright light, warmth, tasty food and cheerful optimism. Not many would describe Scotland in these terms.

Is there anything particular to Scotland that makes it a good place to come and make a life? I’ve no idea but here are a couple of thoughts. Every culture has a concept of fairness but I wonder if the idea of ‘doing right by people’ is deeper embedded in Scotland. I notice Kenny Dalglish referred to that recently when talking about the values he and his wife had absorbed when growing up in Glasgow.
My other thought might be more controversial. In Scotland I think we have a sense of being outsiders. We’re a small part of the UK and those Scots who own the land and capital mostly educate their children outwith the country. Our Scottish tongue is largely unintelligible south of the Tyne and Wear. This makes it difficult to get on a high horse about immigrants coming into the country since we don’t have a strong feeling of it belonging to us in the first place. If true, that might change in an independent Scotland; something I support but which carries responsibilities that will be new to us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 12:51

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 1 Jul 10:47

Would that have been a Schiavone or a Macari, LA?

No Raymie, not out L/gelly way!

The Alari dynasty from Dunfermline!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 13:13

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 1 Jul 10:48

Old GG has done alright. Shame he was pretty pihs at fitba'

I had the same problem as Alan Gordon at Hibs, as Eddie Turnbull pointedly told him.

"The trouble wi you, (insert name here) is that aw yer brains are in yer effing heid!"

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: storminNorman  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 15:30

remember the chip shop in inglis street and abbeyview many years ago sure it might have been Catignanie we also had the Macari's in St Andrews street and of course the maloco family in the town centre but plenty other Italian family's in and around the town.

Post Edited (Wed 01 Jul 15:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 15:56

Catignani's is correct.

My grandparents also used to live in the house that Jock Stein lived in when he managed the Pars. They had no interest in football though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 16:00

Which farm near Dunfermline did you move to. Wisnae Urquhart was it?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 17:51

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Wed 01 Jul 15:56

Catignani's is correct.

My grandparents also used to live in the house that Jock Stein lived in when he managed the Pars. They had no interest in football though.

I was at school with Chris and his sister Veronica

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 18:13

Interesting stuff GG.

My parents had friends of Italian background ever since I can mind, and I had a girlfriend of similar origins, way back.

Of course - you omitted to tell the punters here that you are a made man in the "Old Country" Mafia and that you often made offers not to be refused........ !!!

BTW - ITV tomorrow night at 9pm - should interest a budding cruiser like yourself.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 18:37

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Wed 1 Jul 08:35

You are a shining example of why Scotland is a better place because of immigrants.
Just a pity we are shackled to the toxic xenophobia of Westminster so have no control over our immigration policies.

I love the song Scotlands Story by The Proclaimers which celebrates what immigrants have added to our wee country.

https://youtu.be/uOa64BUV5qU

Ahem! I wanted to reply to this earlier, but I was flushed with embarrassment after reading the first sentence. 🙂

Thank you, sif. Posts like yours and others on this thread are very humbling. I absolutely agree with every word, but perhaps I'm rather biased. Coming from an impartial person like you, it means a great deal. Diversity enriches a society, it should be celebrated and encouraged, not shackled.

Thank you, too for the link to the Proclaimers song, which I hadn't heard before. I really enjoyed it. Great lyrics.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 19:05

GG, how did you learn to speak english if your folks didn't know the language all that well themselves? Must have been pretty daunting as a young lad to start school in a new country and not being able to easily communicate.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 20:19

What a wonderful story GG Riva. From your posts you come across as a guy who likes to get his point across but is also willing to listen other opinions. I would have liked to have had teachers like you when I was at school. Maybe I would have gone more. You mention the sacrifices your parents made I am sure they thought they were worth it. What you have achieved from your background I tip my hat to you sir.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 22:44

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 1 Jul 17:51

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Wed 01 Jul 15:56

Catignani's is correct.

I was at school with Chris and his sister Veronica

Yes, they are cousins of mine - or cousins of my mum to be 100% accurate.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Jul 23:31

Quote:

PARrot, Wed 01 Jul 16:00

He’ll be in his bed just now, but you are correct.

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 06:27

''GG, how did you learn to speak english if your folks didn't know the language all that well themselves? Must have been pretty daunting as a young lad to start school in a new country and not being able to easily communicate.''

Your parents normally teach you your first language, but not any subsequent ones. My father came over 2.5 years before us, so he spoke a little pidgin English*. We didn't even speak proper Italian but a Neapolitan dialect which those in the north of Italy couldn't understand. (A bit like Rab C Nesbitt in London.) I learned English at school. My teacher and classmates were very patient and helpful. When you're 7 or 8, you don't worry about making mistakes in a new language - you just get on with it. I think I had a good grasp of English after about a year, but it's not an outstanding achievement. I taught a Polish lad who arrived in Scotland aged 11, with no English. He spent a year at primary school before coming to HS. By the time he was in S4, he'd overtaken most of the native Scots in his year. He sat 5 Highers in S5 and went to Dundee Uni to study law. Now that's what I call outstanding progress.

*Dad taught me two useful phrases before I started school:-

"Me no speak Eenglish'' and ''Me wanta go lavatree.''

''What a wonderful story GG Riva. From your posts you come across as a guy who likes to get his point across but is also willing to listen other opinions. I would have liked to have had teachers like you when I was at school. Maybe I would have gone more. You mention the sacrifices your parents made I am sure they thought they were worth it. What you have achieved from your background I tip my hat to you sir.''

Thanks, Ian. You're very kind and make me feel very humble. Through no fault of their own, neither of my parents were able to attend school, so they had no formal education. As a result, they placed a very high value on it and constantly inculcated us as to its importance. When my dad proposed, my mum accepted with a condition. ''Only if you promise me that we'll send any children we have to school.'' I hope you enjoy the book I recommended to you. It's so inspiring.

''Which farm near Dunfermline did you move to. Wisnae Urquhart was it?''

I didn't see this earlier, Parrot, but I was certainly in my scratcher when Ramon the Night Owl posted a reply on my behalf. We actually moved from Croftgarry, near Aberdour, to Colton of Pittencrieff farm at the junction of William St and Golfdrum St in 1963. Young Farmer Graham then swapped farms with his father in 1966 and wanted to keep my dad with him, so we moved a mile down the road to Urquhart where we were able to cheer England on to a famous WC victory on our wee, 12" black & white TV. :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 14:57

Great post GG.

Although never met you in person I am very lucky to be able call Raymie a good friend

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 2 Jul 17:14

Ty GG for a braw story.
As a side note I now have Just Wan Cornetto in my heid.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 04:37

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 1 Jul 23:31

Quote:

PARrot, Wed 01 Jul 16:00

He’ll be in his bed just now, but you are correct.

I think I knew your dad.
I lived on the farm for a month about 1971/2ish.
I used to help two Italian guys milk the cows. Sure they stayed in the cottages.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 06:46

''Great post GG.

Although never met you in person I am very lucky to be able call Raymie a good friend.''

Modesty forbids me from suggesting you would have been much luckier to have met me..... ;-)

''I think I knew your dad.
I used to help two Italian guys milk the cows. Sure they stayed in the cottages.''

Yes, the slim one was my dad, the stocky one was Armando's (of Halbeath chippie fame) dad. We lived in the first cottage as you go in. My uncle's family lived in the cottage later bought by Norrie McCathie when Farmer Graham retired.

It's a small world. You didn't stick it out as a byreman for too long, Parrot. Too much like hard work was it? :-)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 22:57

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 3 Jul 06:46

''Great post GG.

Although never met you in person I am very lucky to be able call Raymie a good friend.''

Modesty forbids me from suggesting you would have been much luckier to have met me..... ;-)

I used to help two Italian guys milk the cows. Sure they stayed in the cottages.''

Yes, the slim one was my dad, the stocky one was Armando's (of Halbeath chippie fame) dad. We lived in the first cottage as you go in. My uncle's family lived in the cottage later bought by Norrie McCathie when Farmer Graham retired.

It's a small world. You didn't stick it out as a byreman for too long, Parrot. Too much like hard work was it? :-)

Lol. I was 9 yrs old. It gave me a serious desire to be a farmer. Unfortunately I started getting hay fever and it was chronic every year from about 10 yr old to my mid 40s.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 00:43

Lovely story GG, and it is great to hear how much Scotland helped you and your family. Although I have lived in Australia for almost 40 years, I am still very proud to be Scottish, and also proud that Scotland is a friendly country and very beautiful. I was very lucky to have an excellent education in Dunfermline and an upbringing that I would never swap. Wonderful memories and it is great that the Pars can unite all of us, wherever we live.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 00:16

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 3 Jul 06:46

''Great post GG.

Apparently my old man also knew and worked on some of the farms as well. I like to remind raymie my dad knew him before I was born ;-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 00:21

Very heartwarming post GG. Most of my ancestors with my surname worked the farms of East Fife from as early as 1650 in St. Andrews, Leuchars, Elie and Ceres and ended up in Kirkcaldy and Burntisland. When you were leaving Italy at the age of 7, I was leaving Fife for Glasgow at the age of 8 but I was taking my Pars scarf with me.

One thing you must have missed about Italy is the weather. The first time I was in Italy, I was 14 and we took the train all the way to the Italian Riviera and Diano Marina. I have since been to Rome 6 times, Florence twice and Venice last year.

I think we can be proud of the educational system that we have in Scotland and there are good historical, if not ecclesiastical reasons for that, dating back to the 16th century.

Scotland's working class heritage and respect for fellow human beings is typified by Rabbie Burns' line "A man's a man for a' that". But I do love the country of your birth too and have friends from Naples, Milan and Sicily. Thanks for the sentiments.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 12:09

wonderful story.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect68  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 12:18

Thanks for sharing GG Riva and others, fascinating read.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ZiggyB  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 12:33

Really inspiring reading this on so many counts GG. Also your parents must be so proud looking down to see how you and all your siblings and their respective families have excelled in your parents adoptive country. Your family history is not so indifferent to many other Irish Catholic incomers also from farming stock back in the day mine included. I think this is why Scotland is so welcoming a country as has been alluded to earlier basically because we are all literally Jock Tamson's bairns but from many a different stock. I know there are a few exceptions to the rules but basically in my walk of life I have always found most Scots friendly and welcoming but this was not always the case as our forefathers would have verified to. I am lucky to have known you both as an inspirational teacher and a good friend along with your siblings but as RTL mentioned both you and your other brother didn't get the Italian football genes maybe the brains though :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 12:56

"Your family history is not so indifferent to many other Irish Catholic incomers also from farming stock back in the day mine included."

Your Irish ancestors (almost certainly) could speak English, GG's could not.

One of the main reasons the Irish were able to settle so relatively easily in the USA following the 19th century potato famine was their ability to speak English.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 16:34

Thanks to everyone I haven't thanked further down the thread from the last time I thanked everyone, if that makes sense. (We foreigners are sometimes guilty of using clumsy English.) It's very humbling and quite overwhelming to read some of the very kind comments on here, even from people I've never met.

There is one thought which saddens me. My family was able to move to Scotland because my parents were prepared to work long hours for a poorly paid job, one which was difficult to fill. I don't say this with any bitterness, because a job with a low wage is better than one with none and my parents were extremely grateful. They worked just as long and hard in Italy merely to survive. The sadness comes from the realisation that people from poorer EU countries will no longer be able to come to Britain post Brexit, unless they can command a salary of at least £30k.

That'll rule out many EU citizens who would normally come over to carry out seasonal work and work in the hospitality sector, as well as farm workers. These people would of course pay taxes and contribute to the local economy.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net