DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ready for a pint yet?
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 09:01

I read that tomorrow is the big day for pub reopenings. The newspapers are calling it "Super Saturday".

I was wondering, who among you plan to head out for a pint as soon as it is legal? Or are you just a little bit reluctant to go back to the old ways?

:)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ready for a pint yet?
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 09:11

I certainly won't be going out. I'm not that desperate to have a pint.

I also hear there will be limited time for everyone and queues.

I don't do queuing

I'll wait until it's safer to do so

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 09:22

No Danger will i be going to the pub ....Aldi keeps me going for now :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 09:27

Only pubs in England open tomorrow.Beer gardens open Monday in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 10:58

Agree with Raymie - queuing is for the birds.

I've heard some incredible stories regarding queues.

90 mins for a McDonald's.

2hrs to get into Primark.

FFS!

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 12:01

Agree.Who the hell would stand in a queue for 2hours, for both those places.Some folks need to get a life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 12:02

Not a hope of going to the pub for at least 2 weeks until all the idiots have calmed down...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 12:02

I’m not one for queueing either and had a dig at a family member for sitting in a 45 minute queue at McDonald’s when it opened. Their answer to that was “what’s the difference between sitting in the house doing nothing and sitting in the car doing nothing for those 45 minutes?” It was a good point to be fair. We’re not able to do much so what’s the difference? Lol
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 12:05

I’ll stay clear of the boozer for a bit. They are the most unhygienic of places plus pints in plastic tumblers? No thanks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 12:05

As Donj says it is only in Englandshire tomorrow. Lizzie beer garden will be open on Monday , mind you if the weather does not improve can’t see many people going.

I can wait.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 12:26

I think Louie Brown's in the Bay are opening their beer garden soon as well but aren't taking bookings which seems strange. It's popular in the summer at the best of times and I reckon there will be plenty of groups turning up and then having to either mill about outside waiting or being frustrated at going for nothing as I can see it being rammed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 12:52

Imagine the "idiots" having the audacity to want a pint with a pal in the pub? How very dare they.....

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 13:05

C'mon mate that's not what MS meant..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 13:17

Are you allowed to use the toilets?

Being in my sixties it's essential!🙄🙄🙄
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 13:30

Fair enough choose not to do some or all of the things that we've been banned from doing the last 4 months. Just don't see the need for slagging off those who want to, whether its having a pint or going to Primark, now that we've been told it's ok to do so.

There are a fair few humans out there who crave more than just staring at 4 walls until they pop their clogs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 13:45

None of that contradicts the point being made.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 13:45

It's a big event thing. Big nights out always attract a few idiots with Black Friday being a prime example. The opening if pubs is going to to feel like a big event so it feels like an inevitability that there will be more idiots out for a beer vs the norm.

You'll be hard pressed to find a bigger drinker than me on here so I can understand folk wanting a bevvy but I think there will be a few sites out and about once the pubs are open and quite possibly more than your average Monday in Scotland!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 15:11

Quote:

allparone, Fri 3 Jul 12:02

I’m not one for queueing either and had a dig at a family member for sitting in a 45 minute queue at McDonald’s when it opened. Their answer to that was “what’s the difference between sitting in the house doing nothing and sitting in the car doing nothing for those 45 minutes?” It was a good point to be fair. We’re not able to do much so what’s the difference? Lol

Why would anyone "sit in the house doing nothing" for a long period of time? I'm sure it's possible to read, watch TV, etc.

I'm reminded of an exchange with a pupil some years ago. Tbf, it was a hot day and the lab had a whole wall of glass, which caught the afternoon sun....

"Sir, do we have to work today? It's boring."
"What would you rather do, Nicola?"
"Can we no' just sit and do nothing?"

And not a hint of irony. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 15:47

Shows how bad your classes were 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 15:51

“Why would anyone "sit in the house doing nothing" for a long period of time? I'm sure it's possible to read, watch TV, etc.”

You can do that sitting in the car in a queue for McDonald’s I suppose as well as listen to the radio.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:01

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 3 Jul 13:45

It's a big event thing. Big nights out always attract a few idiots with Black Friday being a prime example. The opening if pubs is going to to feel like a big event so it feels like an inevitability that there will be more idiots out for a beer vs the norm.

You'll be hard pressed to find a bigger drinker than me on here so I can understand folk wanting a bevvy but I think there will be a few sites out and about once the pubs are open and quite possibly more than your average Monday in Scotland!

I was on roughly 40 pints per week a Year ago LPF is this a challenge?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:06

Sorry I've just realised that kind of reads like a billy big baws challenge doesnt it 😂

Just for a bit of clarity I was trying to show my enthusiasm for a beer but probably haven't phrased that well.

That being said I think I it would be a high scoring game by the sounds of it!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:12

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 3 Jul 15:47

Shows how bad your classes were 😉

Boom! Boom!

I tried my best to introduce mitigating circumstances and give the lass a way out, but she wasn't cut out for school. I can't say the same about her mothering instincts. I saw her in town a few years later. She proudly introduced me to her 3 children aged 4, 2 and 9 months. I asked her how old she was now. 21.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:17

Sorry mate I couldn't resist that one.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:18

Quote:

allparone, Fri 3 Jul 15:51

“Why would anyone "sit in the house doing nothing" for a long period of time? I'm sure it's possible to read, watch TV, etc.”

You can do that sitting in the car in a queue for McDonald’s I suppose as well as listen to the radio.

True, I just picked two poor examples, in the context of the discussion, but I didn't want to use household chores for obvious reasons, but they do need to be done. Personally, I'd rather make my own meals than patronise McDonald's or other fast food chain of dubious quality, but each to their own.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 17:09

Quote G.G Riva :-

I tried my best to introduce mitigating circumstances and give the lass a way out, but she wasn't cut out for school. I can't say the same about her mothering instincts. I saw her in town a few years later. She proudly introduced me to her 3 children aged 4, 2 and 9 months. I asked her how old she was now. 21.

Shame-full post G.G.

We had two kids before we were twenty one as well G.G. and like yer pupil extremely proud ...Luckily we had a girl and boy so that was the full set
They have been great kids not a bit of bother but although we were young parents we brought them up old school

They still both live near by and we have a beautiful Granddaughter now 14
I have never regretted having the kids when we were young as we had the energy and mindset to spend of all our spare time with them

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

Post Edited (Fri 03 Jul 19:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 17:49

Pubs are opening up here in Spain, but I'll be giving it a miss for a while. Strange for me since I'm not an inherently paranoid person, so stop fkn looking at me like that, right...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 20:57

I'll leave it until its back to some sort of normality, doesn't appeal at the minute.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 21:28

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 3 Jul 17:09

Quote G.G Riva :-

Shame-full post G.G.

We had two kids before we were twenty one as well G.G. and like yer pupil extremely proud ...Luckily we had a girl and boy so that was the full set
They have been great kids not a bit of bother but although we were young parents we brought them up old school

They still both live near by and we have a beautiful Granddaughter now 14
I have never regretted having the kids when we were young as we had the energy and mindset to spend of all our spare time with them

Not quite sure why you feel my post was shameful, BPP. I just meant she wouldn't have a spare minute to be bored with 3 young children to look after - she was on her own, but even with a full time partner, you don't need me to tell you that's hard work. As I said she had a strong mothering instinct and obviously found school work less appealing than looking after her family.

Perhaps you felt I was having a pop at the girl because of her age. Not at all, but I must admit I thought she'd missed out on a part of her adolescence by going almost straight from school to being a mother. It's a huge responsibility and she'd have had to grow up really fast. I got the impression she was taking it all in her stride.

Having kids at a young age like you did has lots of advantages, but there is a price to pay. Some folk choose to have them later on in life and others again choose not to bother. It's not my place to judge them and I certainly wasn't doing that with my ex pupil.

Eta. If you re-read my earlier post, you'll see that I was replying to LPF, who made a humorous comment about my the quality of my lessons and I was replying to him in similar vein, so maybe you took it out of context?

Post Edited (Fri 03 Jul 21:32)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 23:40

Post Edited (Sat 04 Jul 02:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 23:47

Buspass I think you have totally misread the post by GG.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 23:48

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 3 Jul 23:47

Buspass I think you have totally misread the post by GG.

This. What a massive overreaction

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 23:52

post deleted bpp drunk :)

Post Edited (Fri 03 Jul 23:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 00:04

Gagging for a pint and a catch up with mates but I'll leave it for a month or two until it calms down a bit. The Corn Exchange Beer Garden/Car Park is booked out until the end of August so there is obviously a demand for it. My Honeymoon got cancelled and my new house has been delayed 8 months so a month or two for a wee beer is nothing.

Although I should say we got our wedding the week before lockdown happened so we were really lucky.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Sat 04 Jul 00:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 05:56

Looks like I missed some fun games last night. 🙂 No worries, BPP. It's often hard enough to interpret accurately what another person is trying to get across when we know them and they're in front of us. Without the body language and with a few drinks inside us...... I hope you don't have too much of a hangover this morning. 😍

Back on topic. I'm not missing the pub for a drink, but I do miss the social side of it. I'm fortunate enough to meet up with 3 different groups of lifelong friends some 3 or 4 times a year - former classmates, former colleagues and my best mate, his brother and a couple of their pals. Given the vagaries of the Scottish climate, we usually arrange to meet up in a pub for lunch and a few beers, but if we get a nice day, we've been known to break off for a game of putting, crazy golf or bowls.

Better out in the fresh air, having a good laugh, than sitting in a pub for most of the day.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 08:21

Apologies to all... especially G.G. ..Mixed the grape and the grain ...ouch ...I will have to stop posting when I'm inebriated as I make a complete erse of myself :(
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 08:49

Boris and his crew must be doing a raindance and hoping for a downpour today - Super Saturday could be a monumental drama if the weather turns out nice.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 09:40

Don't you just love Scots being sanctimonious about other folk going for a drink!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 10:24

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 4 Jul 08:21

Apologies to all... especially G.G. ..Mixed the grape and the grain ...ouch ...I will have to stop posting when I'm inebriated as I make a complete erse of myself :(

No apology necessary, neebs. I learned fairly early on in my career that when my pupils didn't understand something, it wasn't because they were dopey, but because I hadn't explained it well enough. I almost always found that changing tack and/or using a familiar analogy would do the trick.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 11:00

Thanks G.G. for what its worth i am ill this morning :( I should ken better at my age :(
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 11:19

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 4 Jul 11:00

Thanks G.G. for what its worth i am ill this morning :( I should ken better at my age :(

I hope you're not looking for sympathy as I'm fresh out of that this morning. 😃

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 11:31

Opening Times for Super Saturday

11 .00 ==== Red Lion

12.00 ====Kings Head

13.00 ====Royal Oak

14.00 ====Rose and Crown

21.00 ====NHS Nightingale
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 12:14

I imagine I will go for a pint when I feel like it, suspect it will probably be the golf club before the local as more of a natural seque from course to pint. Won’t be avoiding pub but won’t be scratching at the door to get in either. Just like any other time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 12:57

I hope you're not looking for sympathy as I'm fresh out of that this morning. 😃

No G.G. 100 lines will do
I must not mix beer red wine and whisky
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 14:05

Yes, 100 lines sound pretty appropriate. But, you must change the order of the drinks on each line...

whisky, beer, red wine...

beer, red wine, whisky... etc., etc.,

With a hangover, that should keep you occupied for an hour or two.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 17:05

100 lines is like 5 grams, at a pinch...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 18:08

Well, here south of the border, local cricket club quite quiet so had several pints , then walked to next pub which looked distinctltly busy so gave it a miss.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 18:14

Good man Wetherby
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 11:34

Predictable scenes from England late last night.

Reading stories of a number of Scots getting the train down to Carlisle to have drinks with complete strangers. Don’t get it

I wonder what work colleagues and family members work think ? All named in the report

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 05 Jul 11:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 12:35

Whilst I'm sure it's perfectly safe, why take the risk? Plus the cost of a train down to Carlisle or Berwick is presumably on top of your drinking money. Sounds like a bunch of Instagram fannies wanting so show their followers how "wild" they are.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 13:18

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 15:05

Safe is perhaps the wrong word. What I mean is low risk. Nothing is really safe.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 16:28

here's the article

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thirsty-scots-defy-warning-head-22303377

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 23:03

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 5 Jul 16:28

here's the article

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thirsty-scots-defy-warning-head-22303377

Surely not Scots being "idiots" too?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 01:16

Just caught an interview with the Governor of Texas and he says the one thing he wishes he had done differently was to not open the bars as quickly as he did as he's now reimposing some restrictions as things flare up again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 07:33

Quote:

BigJPar, Sun 05 Jul 13:18

Quote:

jake89, Sun 5 Jul 12:35

Whilst I'm sure it's perfectly safe, why take the risk? Plus the cost of a train down to Carlisle or Berwick is presumably on top of your drinking money. Sounds like a bunch of Instagram fannies wanting so show their followers how "wild" they are.

What makes you so sure it's safe.
I'd say sharing toilet door handle with 100s of strangers, some of whom don't even wash their hands after a p!sh to be a high risk of cross contamination.

Best thing I have ever seen was a female toilet attendant in Schiphol lounge, chasing down a guy who left the bathroom without washing his hands after being to the urinal. Marched him back in, cleaned the door handle and made an example of him to the full lounge. Been a long time since I have touched a bathroom door handle even before this incident.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 09:36

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 10:19

Anyone ken what beer gardens are open around rosyth/Dunfermline anyway?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bowie  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 10:43

Rumblingwell, Lizzie, PJ's, Monarch, can't think of any in Rosyth, maybe Cottars.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 10:55

Barley Sheaf.

Cottars isn't opening

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bowie  
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 11:12

Doesn't look like anywhere in Rosyth is opening till the 15th, also the Pitbauchlie opening at 12 today, outside obviously, if you fancy somewhere nicer than a car park.

Post Edited (Mon 06 Jul 11:15)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 11:35

Quote:

bowie, Mon 6 Jul 11:12

Doesn't look like anywhere in Rosyth is opening till the 15th, also the Pitbauchlie opening at 12 today, outside obviously, if you fancy somewhere nicer than a car park.

Auld Mill House Hotel

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 17:08

Is the Auld Mill still open? Did they sell it? It was on the market for ages.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 19:51

Chaos at Hugos this afternoon.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 20:02

In what way, Donj?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Jul 20:06

You had to see really.Huge queue to the bar,people standing between tables,tables packed with people,kids running about.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net