DAFC.net
Home 12 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 17:36

Have a couple of weeks off coming up in a few weeks.

Can't make up my mind if it would be stupid to be abroad (Spain / Portugal / Malta) very soon.

Some good flight prices from Edinburgh, but only going to be possible if the Scottish Govt removes the need to quarantine on coming home.

What are you all doing?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 17:59

Staying at home. 100%. Spain has already locked down a couple of areas again I believe.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 19:00

No chance.Booked a break up north in October. Not that desperate to get ripped off !
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 19:35

Not for me but a quandary for many ...The virus is resurgent in many Countries and I think most Governments are prepared to gamble in an attempt to re-boot the economies

Its going to come back some time ... Young healthy people cannot stay locked down forever ..... the economy will not survive much longer ....there can't be that many auld codgers like me left to kill of :) ...So maybe take the risk
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 20:02

Quote:

parforthecourse, Sun 5 Jul 17:36

Have a couple of weeks off coming up in a few weeks.

Can't make up my mind if it would be stupid to be abroad (Spain / Portugal / Malta) very soon.

Some good flight prices from Edinburgh, but only going to be possible if the Scottish Govt removes the need to quarantine on coming home.

What are you all doing?


I took a gamble by booking flights to Majorca on the 19th - 26th July for £63 return. Not made up my mind up if I'm definitely going to go yet, so I'll wait til the last minute before booking accommodation. Of course, all that depends on the 14 day quarantine being lifted.

I thought with flights at that price, it was a gamble worth taking.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 20:07

Quote:

MikeyLeonard, Sun 5 Jul 20:02

Quote:

parforthecourse, Sun 5 Jul 17:36

Have a couple of weeks off coming up in a few weeks.

Can't make up my mind if it would be stupid to be abroad (Spain / Portugal / Malta) very soon.

Some good flight prices from Edinburgh, but only going to be possible if the Scottish Govt removes the need to quarantine on coming home.

What are you all doing?


I took a gamble by booking flights to Majorca on the 19th - 26th July for £63 return. Not made up my mind up if I'm definitely going to go yet, so I'll wait til the last minute before booking accommodation. Of course, all that depends on the 14 day quarantine being lifted.

I thought with flights at that price, it was a gamble worth taking.


Similar thought process for me. Can get to the 3 places above for around 70 quid return for 2 weeks.

We've not flown from Edinburgh in the summer for years as it's so expensive in the Scottish school holidays.

Normally drive to Liverpool, Manchester or Newcastle.

Don't fancy being in the middle of a lockdown abroad though, or having to quarantine for 2 weeks on return.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 20:39

Going to Tenerife in September, out there for a month, usual apartment, Easyjet flights, free luggage. 😎😎😎
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 23:36

I'll wait as no idea what will happen.We usually have 4 holidays a year but nothing so far.I've looked at November for a couple of weeks but we'll wait and see.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 22:43

Will not be going abroad, until normality, has resumed. What is the point.Can't sit on the beach,can't sit at a bar and meet up with new friends, and getting ripped off.No thanks, not that desperate, or sad.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Tue 7 Jul 23:19

Quote:

twin par, Tue 7 Jul 22:43

Will not be going abroad, until normality, has resumed. What is the point.Can't sit on the beach,can't sit at a bar and meet up with new friends, and getting ripped off.No thanks, not that desperate, or sad.


Not that desperate or sad just now ut once this is all over you will be!!! 😂😂😂

Please don't book me Admin, it will ruin my life.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Wed 8 Jul 23:06

As said,glad when things are back to normal.Read my post carefully.

Post Edited (Wed 08 Jul 23:07)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 09:45

Do you really want to choose to endure 3 hours (give or take) in an aluminium cylinder wearing a facemask and sitting in close proximity to other passengers - then there's the procedures for comfort breaks.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 12:53

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 9 Jul 09:45

Do you really want to choose to endure 3 hours (give or take) in an aluminium cylinder wearing a facemask and sitting in close proximity to other passengers - then there's the procedures for comfort breaks.


And if you're going to Spain, the 14 days quarantine on return
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 13:16

I'm sure Michael O'Leary will be on soon enough complaining about the addition of Spain to the quarantine list?




It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 13:35

Well Balearics and Canaries banned along with mainland Spain, even though the UK outstrips them all!

Civil Servants had air corridor in place only to be overruled by the Government.

A reliable source on Twitter states it was imposed to give UK a better Brexit negotiating position and to show the economic power that the UK have!

Just wow!!🤔😡😡😡
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 13:40

If that were the case it's hard to understand the Scottish Government supporting it surely?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 14:00

We took the plunge and went abroad.

Easy jet flights from Edinburgh. Wore a mask throughout but no real hardship.

We're currently in a nice outdoor restaurant in Prague.

It's roasting.

It's not what we had planned, but it's extremely nice.

No social distancing happening here, at all. No face masks.

Czech dead are less than 400 for a 10m country.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 14:33

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 28 Jul 13:40

If that were the case it's hard to understand the Scottish Government supporting it surely?


It was seemingly a phone/zoom meeting with all the 4 nations lead by Michael Gove, if Foreign Office ratify it invalidates travel insurance!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 15:25

It is clearly politics dressed up as a concern for people's health

They are now saying "Europe" is experiencing a second wave, so that will help to build up the 'us versus them' narrative that they are going to use for the next 6 months or more.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 15:47

I can't see how the Scottish Government would be willing participants in a UK v Europe scenario.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 16:26

Even after Brexit we're still in Europe. It's the EU were leaving, not the continent. Of course the rhetoric will always be that Europe = mainland Europe = damned Germans/French/Spanish.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 16:40

The Spanish rate of infection has risen to 47 for every 100 thousand. In the UK it's 15. Weren't we all saying the UK government were too slow to put us into lockdown when we seen what was happening in Europe first time around?

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 16:41

"It was seemingly a phone/zoom meeting with all the 4 nations lead by Michael Gove, if Foreign Office ratify it invalidates travel insurance!"

Not sure the FO has any choice but to ratify a government decision.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 17:16

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Tue 28 Jul 16:40

The Spanish rate of infection has risen to 47 for every 100 thousand. In the UK it's 15. Weren't we all saying the UK government were too slow to put us into lockdown when we seen what was happening in Europe first time around?


In certain areas of Spain, Balearics and Canaries way less than UK!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 29 Jul 03:36

There was a poster on here who, a few months ago, was about to head off to Spain on a walking or cycling trip. Did he ever get back?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 15:28

I have a holiday booked for Tenerife (last death due to Coronavirus was in June) only infections seem to be coming from illegal immigrants arriving in dinghies.
Obviously since the Foreign Office have put Spain on the no go list all travel insurance is invalidated and self isolation on return to the UK.
Anyone explain how Real Madrid, travelling from one of Spain's hot spots to an area in England that is in lockdown were not required to isolate?
I understand that they flew in on Thursday, did they arrive from another country?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 16:42

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sat 8 Aug 15:28

I have a holiday booked for Tenerife (last death due to Coronavirus was in June) only infections seem to be coming from illegal immigrants arriving in dinghies.
Obviously since the Foreign Office have put Spain on the no go list all travel insurance is invalidated and self isolation on return to the UK.
Anyone explain how Real Madrid, travelling from one of Spain's hot spots to an area in England that is in lockdown were not required to isolate?
I understand that they flew in on Thursday, did they arrive from another country?


Is this not all about this mystical football bubble again?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 8 Aug 16:50

And backhanders?💷💷💷
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 13:21

Stay at home this year and help the Scottish economy recover.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: penapar  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 13:27

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 9 Aug 13:21

Stay at home this year and help the Scottish economy recover.


Even Boris is saying he is coming for two weeks but does not say where!

penapar
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 13:32

Quote:

penapar, Sun 9 Aug 13:27

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 9 Aug 13:21

Stay at home this year and help the Scottish economy recover.


Even Boris is saying he is coming for two weeks but does not say where!


If we find out can we evacuate the area in time.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 14:15

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 9 Aug 13:21

Stay at home this year and help the Scottish economy recover.


Just don't go to any beaches, parks or pubs. The .net polis will av ya

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 16:54

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 9 Aug 13:21

Stay at home this year and help the Scottish economy recover.


Can't afford it!

Was up Oban for 4 days a few years back, would have been cheaper going to Benidorm, weather better as well!🌞🌞🌞
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 17:01

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 9 Aug 16:54

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 9 Aug 13:21

Stay at home this year and help the Scottish economy recover.


Can't afford it!

Was up Oban for 4 days a few years back, would have been cheaper going to Benidorm, weather better as well!🌞🌞🌞


That's strange. So far this year we have managed to go to two places in Scotland this year. Both for a week at a time. One before lockdown and one after. We have two other breaks planned providing we are allowed. One to the Cullen for a weekend and the Crieff Hydro for a week in October. So that amounts to around 3 and a half weeks holiday all in Scotland.

This has/will cost us a fraction of the price that we paid to go to Magaluf all inclusive 3 years ago. That includes food, drink and accommodation. Also I don't have to go anywhere near a blooming airport.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 17:06

Holidaying in the UK is extortionate.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 18:59

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 9 Aug 17:06

Holidaying in the UK is extortionate.


It can be as cheap or expensive as you make it really. I've done from camping to 5*
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 19:05

A week out on the west coast in October when we should have been going to Florida. Then a few days in Gardenstown on the Moray coast over new year.
As an aside I ended up having to threaten legal action on the Florida villa owner, who has our deposit money, before he would commit to payment dates. We'll see if he sticks to them.
Paypal were absolutely useless in trying to recover our money.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 20:12

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 9 Aug 19:05

A week out on the west coast in October when we should have been going to Florida. Then a few days in Gardenstown on the Moray coast over new year.
As an aside I ended up having to threaten legal action on the Florida villa owner, who has our deposit money, before he would commit to payment dates. We'll see if he sticks to them.
Paypal were absolutely useless in trying to recover our money.


Gardenstown is lovely, some great characters there, and you always get a great bit banter in the pub. Beautiful wee villages like Crovie and Pennan nearby. Might try and get back up there later in the year too
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 20:30

Topic Originator: da_no_1 like | nolike
Date: Sun 9 Aug 14:15

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 9 Aug 13:21

Stay at home this year and help the Scottish economy recover.


Just don't go to any beaches, parks or pubs. The .net polis will av ya

And if they don't the troll fol-dee-rol will
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 21:12

Aye we stayed at Millshore just round the corner from Pennan a few years ago RSP. Converted mill of 3 holiday properties right on a pebble beach.
Really nice week doing nothing but playing with the kids.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 21:46

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 9 Aug 17:06

Holidaying in the UK is extortionate.


It really isn't
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 22:20

Quote:

moviescot, Sun 9 Aug 21:46

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 9 Aug 17:06

Holidaying in the UK is extortionate.


It really isn't


It can be in my experience. The villa we sometimes rent in Tenerife is £650 a week.
I haven't found anything comparable here for close to that money in the school holidays.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 22:22

Always at least have a holiday up north for a week.Nice to have a comfortable cottage. Our labrador loves it. Can't beat it, a log fire and a few gins,usually in October.,braw!😃

Post Edited (Sun 09 Aug 22:26)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 22:35

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 9 Aug 22:20

Quote:

moviescot, Sun 9 Aug 21:46

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 9 Aug 17:06

Holidaying in the UK is extortionate.


It really isn't


It can be in my experience. The villa we sometimes rent in Tenerife is £650 a week.
I haven't found anything comparable here for close to that money in the school holidays.


That's very cheap if it's anywhere near the sea. We usually pay a good bit more
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 22:54

Quote:

BigJPar, Sun 9 Aug 22:35

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 9 Aug 22:20

Quote:

moviescot, Sun 9 Aug 21:46

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 9 Aug 17:06

Holidaying in the UK is extortionate.


It really isn't


It can be in my experience. The villa we sometimes rent in Tenerife is £650 a week.
I haven't found anything comparable here for close to that money in the school holidays.


That's very cheap if it's anywhere. near the sea. We usually pay a good bit more


We have a week for 3 booked in crieff hydro lodges for less than £400 - October hols. Our Cullen trip is £100 for 2 nights in a 3 bed flat. We went to Cromarty for a week for £350 in July and were £450 for a week's stay in a large 3 bed log cabin in Aviemore .

Post Edited (Sun 09 Aug 22:55)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 23:03

Can spend a fortune in Scotland but it's not like for like. A self catering cottage in the Highlands can't be compared to an apartment in a block in Benidorm.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 9 Aug 23:21

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 9 Aug 22:20

Quote:

moviescot, Sun 9 Aug 21:46

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 9 Aug 17:06

Holidaying in the UK is extortionate.


It really isn't


It can be in my experience. The villa we sometimes rent in Tenerife is £650 a week.
I haven't found anything comparable here for close to that money in the school holidays.


£500 for 2 nights in a log cabin. Aye its bargain stuff right enough.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 00:05

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 9 Aug 21:12

Aye we stayed at Millshore just round the corner from Pennan a few years ago RSP. Converted mill of 3 holiday properties right on a pebble beach.
Really nice week doing nothing but playing with the kids.


Ahh, yes, that is a great wee beach. We stayed at Millshore Cottage, which is just up the hill from there, so spent plenty time on that beach. Spectacular views from that cottage
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 07:41

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 9 Aug 23:21

Quote:

JTH123, Sun 9 Aug 22:20

Quote:

moviescot, Sun 9 Aug 21:46

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 9 Aug 17:06

Holidaying in the UK is extortionate.


It really isn't


It can be in my experience. The villa we sometimes rent in Tenerife is £650 a week.
I haven't found anything comparable here for close to that money in the school holidays.


£500 for 2 nights in a log cabin. Aye its bargain stuff right enough.


Who paid £500 for 2 nights in a log cabin?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 07:42

Quote:

jake89, Sun 9 Aug 23:03

Can spend a fortune in Scotland but it's not like for like. A self catering cottage in the Highlands can't be compared to an apartment in a block in Benidorm.


You're right. Much rather have a lovely scenic cottage in Scotland than some minging apartment in Benidorm. And god the food here is much better.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 09:00

There are other places to go than Benidorm. Obviously you know that but chose Benidorm because it paints a picture that supports you're point. As you do.

And I wanted to go away with my girlfriend & my 2 sons for a break in the October holidays. We fancied a log cabin with a hot tub. It cost me £200 per night plus cleaning & service fee. It looks really nice but it's expensive.

I'm sure you'll tell me I could have got a cheaper break. I know I could have but for this type of accommodation (not a tent or a caravan) that's the going rate.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 09:08

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 10 Aug 09:00

There are other places to go than Benidorm. Obviously you know that but chose Benidorm because it paints a picture that supports you're point. As you do.

And I wanted to go away with my girlfriend & my 2 sons for a break in the October holidays. We fancied a log cabin with a hot tub. It cost me £200 per night plus cleaning & service fee. It looks really nice but it's expensive.

I'm sure you'll tell me I could have got a cheaper break. I know I could have but for this type of accommodation (not a tent or a caravan) that's the going rate.


I only mentioned Benidorm because it had been previously used. Never actually been there. Been to Ibiza, Magaluf and a few Spanish Costas in the last 15 years. Also been to Greece and that was the only place that the food was good. By good I mean at least to the standard that I can do at home.

I really don't where you are being asked to pay £200 a night for accommodation in Scotland. We as a family of three went to Aviemore last October holidays. We stayed in a the bedroom house with a large garden, hot tub and 3 bedrooms and bathrooms. The cost for a week was just over £600. 10 min walk in centre of Aviemore.

Maybe you get charged a premium for only booking for one night.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 09:08

Quote:

moviescot, Mon 10 Aug 09:08

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 10 Aug 09:00

There are other places to go than Benidorm. Obviously you know that but chose Benidorm because it paints a picture that supports you're point. As you do.

And I wanted to go away with my girlfriend & my 2 sons for a break in the October holidays. We fancied a log cabin with a hot tub. It cost me £200 per night plus cleaning & service fee. It looks really nice but it's expensive.

I'm sure you'll tell me I could have got a cheaper break. I know I could have but for this type of accommodation (not a tent or a caravan) that's the going rate.


I only mentioned Benidorm because it had been previously used. Never actually been there. Been to Ibiza, Magaluf and a few Spanish Costas in the last 15 years. Also been to Greece and that was the only place that the food was good. By good I mean at least to the standard that I can do at home.

I really don't where you are being asked to pay £200 a night for accommodation in Scotland. We as a family of three went to Aviemore last October holidays. We stayed in a three bedroom house with a large garden, hot tub and 3 bedrooms and bathrooms. The cost for a week was just over £600. 10 min walk in centre of Aviemore.

Maybe you get charged a premium for only booking for one night.


Post Edited (Mon 10 Aug 09:09)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 10:00

We are doing the NC500 in late September and were quoted £135 for a room in a hostel with a shared bathroom in Applecross which is pretty dear to not even have an en suite. Sacked it and paid more to stay at the Torridon but shows you can easily get gouged in Scotland.

I do quite a decent turn renting a holiday apartment in Gleneagles. Immaculate and ideal location and charge £600 pw. I’ve never even considered raising prices for school holidays - just bank holidays and Christmas more as added compensation for not being able to use it ourselves on those dates.

That said the rental agencies apps all are suggesting I bump up prices - presumably to capitalise on pent up demand - but won’t be doing that as doesn’t feel particularly fair.


[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 10:32

I just mentioned Benidorm as a cheap holiday example, I have been there once in 1971.😎

The 2 bed apartment we get in Tenerife is €450 a week, pool plus restaurant, just up the hill from Puerto Colon. 🌞🌞🌞
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 10:40

Peurto Colon? What an unfortunately named resort.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone holidaying abroad this summer?
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 10 Aug 11:04

Quote:

P, Mon 10 Aug 10:00

We are doing the NC500 in late September and were quoted £135 for a room in a hostel with a shared bathroom in Applecross which is pretty dear to not even have an en suite. Sacked it and paid more to stay at the Torridon but shows you can easily get gouged in Scotland.

I do quite a decent turn renting a holiday apartment in Gleneagles. Immaculate and ideal location and charge £600 pw. I’ve never even considered raising prices for school holidays - just bank holidays and Christmas more as added compensation for not being able to use it ourselves on those dates.

That said the rental agencies apps all are suggesting I bump up prices - presumably to capitalise on pent up demand - but won’t be doing that as doesn’t feel particularly fair.


Yeah my wife, who does all this holiday booking, had noticed prices are being pushed up. I suppose that's just supply and demand though. Some are a little higher but there are some who are taking the ....!

We were lucky we had all our holidays booked before all the lockdown. We had to cancel Aviemore in April though but the people happily rebooked us for next at the same rates.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net