DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Block paved driveway cost
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 16 Aug 22:14

Currently got a tarmac driveway but fancy a block paved one instead. No idea on dimensions but it takes two cars. Before I call about for prices I was curious about roughly how much it costs. If it's loads then I'll stick with the tarmac.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Block paved driveway cost
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Mon 17 Aug 06:23

Last time I enquired it was about 50 quid per m².
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 17 Aug 18:26

It ain't cheap I know that.
Some brickies do monoblock on the side for a lot cheaper than the normal rates.
Worth asking for testimonials though as there's probably more than a few cowboys out there.
My parents were looking at monoblock but were put off by the prices until a brickie they know told them he'd do it for a lot less.
Good job he done of it too.
Can't give you his name as this was over 15 years ago and the guy is no longer with us unfortunately.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 17 Aug 19:11

jake89
I have had a mono block drive for years It looks good when relatively new but there is the downside that unless you power wash it every 2nd year and keep the moss and weeds controlled every year it is actually more bother than what its worth

The power wash is a dirty job ... OK it removes all the stains and weeds but the whole house/ windows/ doors need washed down after.... also you will need to re sand it as well

If your tarmac is in good nick stick with it

If not I would consider the cement alternative with the block pattern imprint
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 17 Aug 19:19

Had tarmac done about 15 years ago.Guy worked on roads in Ireland. He used the same grade as they use on roads.Good as the day he put it down,cost about 12 hundred. Council, did it at that time,but wanted 3 thousand just to patch existing tarmac.Worth getting to know guys that do it on the side,but obviously, you have to be careful, luckily I knew the guy,so it was a bargain.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 17 Aug 19:31

Thanks all. Cleaning is a good point. There's nothing wrong with the tarmac but would like to widen the drive a bit. I reckon I'll live with it a bit longer. Main concern would be getting it done properly. See a few round here that have sunk round the manholes and/or where the tyres have sat.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Mon 17 Aug 19:33

My brother does tarmac for a living if your wanting a quote on it getting redone
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 18 Aug 01:29

Tarmac is a good and practical option for driveways. If you decide to reinforce and widen the tarmac, make sure you get them to put wooden stoppers down to give you a clean and straight edge. Otherwise, it can look quite messy.

Pavers look good for a while but they stain easily, especially with oil which is very hard to get rid of, even with a power wash. Worst of all, are the weeds and moss which grow between the gaps.

And I would certainly not recommend the small white stones that I have here on my driveway. They come into the house on people's shoes and are a nuisance to get rid of. Because the stones settle over time, I have to order a ton of them every couple of years to redistribute over the driveway.

Yes, tarmac is the easiest option, by a long way.

:)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 18 Aug 08:47

Surely there are a bunch of our Traveller friends hanging about, just waiting to do you an amazing job?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew C  
Date:   Sun 6 Sep 11:18

Would be about 3k for a driveway that size I reckon, contact G Cleland, best mono blockers around.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net