DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Here's a new one: 'Filthist'
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Fri 28 Aug 22:47

No not FILTHIEST.

Ref to AJ27 and Berry on fitba' forum (Gillette Soccer Saturday thread)

I don't have to own up to this but it intrigues me. By and large I don't find female comedians funny either. Seems to me many women stand-ups are even more into filth than men. Some filth is funny to me but most ain't, it's so old hat.

I rarely find anyone at all funny on 'Live at the Apollo'. But I laugh a lot at 'Taskmaster' at both men and women, (some of whom I find dead boring on 'Live at The Apollo'.) On 'Mock the Week' I almost never find the women funny and with some of the blokes I put the sound off, they're so consistently boring, but some blokes on it I find hilarious.

What am I? By and large I find filth boring. Maybe I'm just filthist.

Post Edited (Fri 28 Aug 22:53)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Here's a new one: 'Filthist'
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 01:53

I agree, and I think it is more prevalent in scripted deliveries (e.g. Apollo) rather than when ad-libbing in other shows (when I find a lot of them funnier).

I'm certainly not against what some would call 'bad' language if it is used in the vernacular.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 11:43

What folk find funny is a matter of personal taste but I find it incredible when I have tried to watch 'Live at The Appollo' and the camera turns to the audience and they're sitting there laughing at ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

Well like I say, humour is personal taste. There seems to be two levels. There's making puns, then there's a higher level, which I think the likes of Hugh Dennis and Dara O'Briain, Lee Mack and Andy Parsons are all capable of reaching and often do.

Yes I think you've made a good point there GG, I hadn't thought about it as script versus ad-lib. And maybe when there's more than one comedian they bounce off each other. I wish Greg Dyke would gi'e up wi' his 'Little Alex Horne' bit though. I like Alex. I wish he'd say 'Shut yer geggy ya big feckin' eejit.'

Post Edited (Mon 31 Aug 11:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 14:47

I'm not sure if it's female comedians or simply the ones who seem to make it in TV.

The likes of Mock the Week can be shockingly poor from both sexes (also incredibly funny from both). They should bring back Never Mind the Buzzcocks.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 18:59

Might be something in that Jake. Maybe gettin' on TV some o' their creativity suffers?

Post Edited (Mon 31 Aug 19:00)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 19:39

I think it's down to the format. The quick fire round on Mock the Week where they step in to do things like "Things unlikely to be heard at a funeral" is typically awful yet the people laugh at everything. Some of them come across as if they've stepped in just because they had to say something, anything.

The worst female comedians in my eyes are often the ones who attempt to mimic the crassness of their male counterparts. The male version isn't typically funny, so the female version also fails.

The best comedy, in my eyes anyway, is where you can relate to it. Funny anecdotes about nights out, visits to places, experiences at work etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 20:39

Quote :-

The best comedy, in my eyes anyway, is where you can relate to it. Funny anecdotes about nights out, visits to places, experiences at work etc.

Nailed it jake89
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 31 Aug 20:47

Billy Connolly swore a lot but his jokes you could relate to as they were about things we had experienced ourselves and lets be honest in some of the poorer areas swearing was part of the language.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 1 Sep 10:42

Thought swearing was the second language in the West?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Tue 1 Sep 13:57

Language in this country is, like so much here, mostly about class.

Back in the day when the Normans were in charge it was well posh to use french words because that's what the king spoke.

It was dead common to use Anglo-Saxon words because the dead king who lost did that.

If you wanted to advance in 11th century feudal Britain you had to learn some french.

This echoes to today in loads of ways - most obvious is that names of meats are of french origin whereas the names of the animals the meat comes from are Anglo-Saxon; posh folk eat meat and common folk raise livestock.

Same goes for medical language or language related to the human body - typically the Anglo-Saxon rooted words are considered vulgar and 'filthy' whilst the French rooted equivalent is perfectly fine.

The upshot is that some words are considered vulgar because of thousand-year-old French snobbery.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net