DAFC.net
Home 19 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Queensferry crossing closed?
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 07:31

Can anyone confirm ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Queensferry crossing closed?
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 07:33

Apparently it is. Words fail me

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 07:57

Supposedly Kincardine grinding to its usual halt...

Surely another reason that shows we can’t go back to mass commuting and fighting our way into city centres to work - its stressful, wasteful, miserable and not particularly good for the environment
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 08:04

the bridge that wouldn`t close....

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 08:13

To quote an old army general, “Mother nature is more powerful than anything built by man”

I’d rephrase your statement to ignore nonsense claims by civil engineers to be more like, the bridge that should never need to be fully relied on given modern working practices, technology and more socially conscious location and economic strategies by business
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 08:15

Cheers, DBP :-)

One inch of snow ( well forecasted ) and the east of the country grinds to a halt. It really does my nut in.

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 08:23

Sometimes you gotta look at the bigger picture RTL! 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 09:22

Inch of snow!

Come out here, more like 6 inches, so the wife says!🤔😷😷😷
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 09:43

Open again.

Admin.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 10:00

DBP not everyone that travels on a road is commuting.

And working from home is absolutely sh1te. Anyone who says differently is a liar.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 10:34

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 4 Dec 10:00

DBP not everyone that travels on a road is commuting.

And working from home is absolutely sh1te. Anyone who says differently is a liar.

To the second part - pihs!

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 11:10

I never want to go back to full time commuting to Edinburgh. Would be happy to go into the office maybe a few days a month at most for team/dept meetings, but rather work from home the rest of the time. Never thought I'd say that when I started working from home.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 11:19

Radio Scotland at 8:25am (ish) saying that it was an HGV accident - jackknifed lorry ? to mostly blame.

"And working from home is absolutely sh1te. Anyone who says differently is a liar."

Must be a lot of porky pie types out there then ?

Post Edited (Fri 04 Dec 11:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 11:29

Why would anyone hate shuffling around the house in your baffies and dressing gown until mid morning while you`ve been catching up on latest netflix must see series all the while getting paid for it!

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice.
Unlike the rest of you squares.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 12:01

"And working from home is absolutely sh1te. Anyone who says differently is a liar."

Depends on your situation.

Although I`m back in the office 100% (bubbled with 6 colleagues in a 24 desk office) - WFH was fine for me.
I have a wee office-room where I can shut the door and work in peace.

Some of my colleagues don`t have that `luxury`,
one of them is going nuts, in a small two bedroom apartment with two pre-school kids running about mad - the creche is closed - both him and his wife working from home, perched on a stool at the kitchen table.
He`s desperate to get back to the office...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 12:08

"Why would anyone hate shuffling around the house in your baffies and dressing gown until mid morning while you`ve been catching up on latest netflix must see series all the while getting paid for it!"

It`s Amazon Prime if you must know...……...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 12:48

Wfh for me has been c90 mins less commuting time per day (worse in winter), £60-£70 a week on fuel not spent, £50-£60 a week on food and beverages saved (although still make stuff at home obviously), increased productivity. My quality of life is improved massively from wfh and they will have to drag me back in as I love it.

Do miss the banter to an extent and I know it’s not for everyone, I am lucky enough to have a big house with 2 rooms that can be used as offices so we can both work at home. For those in a small flat it must be torture though - especially in the example above where childcare was an issue.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 14:00

I have nearly identical financial and time benefits to the poster above.

Ideally, I'd work 50/50 office / home, and that's from someone who worked from home for maybe 5 days in the previous 22 years before COVID.

I think I miss out on a lot of visual clues that there are issues with delivery / people when I'm just taking to a disembodied voice on Teams.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 15:33

Worked from home/ travel globally for last 30 years. It is stressful for people with families and if there is restricted workspace. I built an office in the garden and it has made an enormous difference as I was no longer get interrupted by the family noise , distributions and life in general.
People have to live and it was stressful for my family. So for a number of years I have a purpose built shed. TV, refrigerator, lounging area. The productivity is the difference. Travel to / from work time of 2 hours per day equates to over 1 working day per week. Employers know this and know that they are getting better productivity with experienced professionals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 19:30

What if you live in the same town as your work? Not everyone travels 50 miles to get to work?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 20:44

I've recently moved back to Dunfermline having lived in Edinburgh for a few years. Still work in Edinburgh but haven't been in the office since late March. I would love to be able to go back to be honest even if it is a few days a month. Working from Home has it's benefits but it can be a lonely experience where it can be really difficult to keep your own morale up and keep motivated. Appreciate everyone is different but I really miss the office banter and it helped keep my mood up.
Not sure what the future is for work offices and environments - Working from Home obviously works and saves companies a shed load.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sat 5 Dec 10:13

I'm quite happy working from home.

Microsoft Teams or similar is a must though. Lots of chat a through the day, mostly about work and daily, short catch up calls (normally without webcam) and it's fine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 5 Dec 12:00

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 4 Dec 19:30

What if you live in the same town as your work? Not everyone travels 50 miles to get to work?

Very true. People forget it's possible to work locally. I wish there were more jobs where people actually live. Seems ridiculous that there are thousands travelling out of Fife to Edinburgh and Dundee. Plenty of vacant office and manufacturing units sat empty round Fife.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net