DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Queensferry crossing closed?
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 07:31

Can anyone confirm ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Queensferry crossing closed?
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 07:33

Apparently it is. Words fail me

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 07:57

Supposedly Kincardine grinding to its usual halt...

Surely another reason that shows we can’t go back to mass commuting and fighting our way into city centres to work - its stressful, wasteful, miserable and not particularly good for the environment
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 08:04

the bridge that wouldn`t close....

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 08:13

To quote an old army general, “Mother nature is more powerful than anything built by man”

I’d rephrase your statement to ignore nonsense claims by civil engineers to be more like, the bridge that should never need to be fully relied on given modern working practices, technology and more socially conscious location and economic strategies by business
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 08:15

Cheers, DBP :-)

One inch of snow ( well forecasted ) and the east of the country grinds to a halt. It really does my nut in.

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 08:23

Sometimes you gotta look at the bigger picture RTL! 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 09:22

Inch of snow!

Come out here, more like 6 inches, so the wife says!🤔😷😷😷
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 09:43

Open again.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 10:00

DBP not everyone that travels on a road is commuting.

And working from home is absolutely sh1te. Anyone who says differently is a liar.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 10:34

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 4 Dec 10:00

DBP not everyone that travels on a road is commuting.

And working from home is absolutely sh1te. Anyone who says differently is a liar.

To the second part - pihs!

https://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 11:10

I never want to go back to full time commuting to Edinburgh. Would be happy to go into the office maybe a few days a month at most for team/dept meetings, but rather work from home the rest of the time. Never thought I'd say that when I started working from home.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 11:19

Radio Scotland at 8:25am (ish) saying that it was an HGV accident - jackknifed lorry ? to mostly blame.

"And working from home is absolutely sh1te. Anyone who says differently is a liar."

Must be a lot of porky pie types out there then ?

Post Edited (Fri 04 Dec 11:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 11:29

Why would anyone hate shuffling around the house in your baffies and dressing gown until mid morning while you`ve been catching up on latest netflix must see series all the while getting paid for it!

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 12:01

"And working from home is absolutely sh1te. Anyone who says differently is a liar."

Depends on your situation.

Although I`m back in the office 100% (bubbled with 6 colleagues in a 24 desk office) - WFH was fine for me.
I have a wee office-room where I can shut the door and work in peace.

Some of my colleagues don`t have that `luxury`,
one of them is going nuts, in a small two bedroom apartment with two pre-school kids running about mad - the creche is closed - both him and his wife working from home, perched on a stool at the kitchen table.
He`s desperate to get back to the office...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 12:08

"Why would anyone hate shuffling around the house in your baffies and dressing gown until mid morning while you`ve been catching up on latest netflix must see series all the while getting paid for it!"

It`s Amazon Prime if you must know...……...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 12:48

Wfh for me has been c90 mins less commuting time per day (worse in winter), £60-£70 a week on fuel not spent, £50-£60 a week on food and beverages saved (although still make stuff at home obviously), increased productivity. My quality of life is improved massively from wfh and they will have to drag me back in as I love it.

Do miss the banter to an extent and I know it’s not for everyone, I am lucky enough to have a big house with 2 rooms that can be used as offices so we can both work at home. For those in a small flat it must be torture though - especially in the example above where childcare was an issue.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 14:00

I have nearly identical financial and time benefits to the poster above.

Ideally, I'd work 50/50 office / home, and that's from someone who worked from home for maybe 5 days in the previous 22 years before COVID.

I think I miss out on a lot of visual clues that there are issues with delivery / people when I'm just taking to a disembodied voice on Teams.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 15:33

Worked from home/ travel globally for last 30 years. It is stressful for people with families and if there is restricted workspace. I built an office in the garden and it has made an enormous difference as I was no longer get interrupted by the family noise , distributions and life in general.
People have to live and it was stressful for my family. So for a number of years I have a purpose built shed. TV, refrigerator, lounging area. The productivity is the difference. Travel to / from work time of 2 hours per day equates to over 1 working day per week. Employers know this and know that they are getting better productivity with experienced professionals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 19:30

What if you live in the same town as your work? Not everyone travels 50 miles to get to work?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 4 Dec 20:44

I've recently moved back to Dunfermline having lived in Edinburgh for a few years. Still work in Edinburgh but haven't been in the office since late March. I would love to be able to go back to be honest even if it is a few days a month. Working from Home has it's benefits but it can be a lonely experience where it can be really difficult to keep your own morale up and keep motivated. Appreciate everyone is different but I really miss the office banter and it helped keep my mood up.
Not sure what the future is for work offices and environments - Working from Home obviously works and saves companies a shed load.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sat 5 Dec 10:13

I'm quite happy working from home.

Microsoft Teams or similar is a must though. Lots of chat a through the day, mostly about work and daily, short catch up calls (normally without webcam) and it's fine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 5 Dec 12:00

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 4 Dec 19:30

What if you live in the same town as your work? Not everyone travels 50 miles to get to work?

Very true. People forget it's possible to work locally. I wish there were more jobs where people actually live. Seems ridiculous that there are thousands travelling out of Fife to Edinburgh and Dundee. Plenty of vacant office and manufacturing units sat empty round Fife.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 07:09

Closed again!

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 09:24

It's brutal living in a house with someone who is working from home. . .for both of us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 10:43

Road work signs in crombie,traffic lights,but nobody working.Causing absolute carnage.Plus a hgv, broken down near crossford junction.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 12:37

Quote:

jake89, Sat 05 Dec 12:00

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 4 Dec 19:30

Very true. People forget it's possible to work locally. I wish there were more jobs where people actually live. Seems ridiculous that there are thousands travelling out of Fife to Edinburgh and Dundee. Plenty of vacant office and manufacturing units sat empty round Fife.

For years I lived and worked in Edinburgh ... both quite central but it still took me half an hour door to door, so that’s 5 hours or almost 1 working day wasted travelling each week, plus the bus pass money, still getting wet when it’s raining etc.
Because I was in the office I had to buy lunch which was more expensive than going through to my kitchen (and the stuff you but is not good for you).
When in the office, yes I could speak to folk but then you forget all the usual downsides (person nearby speaks so loud you can’t hear yourself think, trying to find quite private places for more sensitive conversations, trying to book meeting Rooms (all of which is provided in my more comfortable, better laid out, better equipped, more private and quite home office).
I don’t need to go to work for my social life or to see pals, work is something I do and shouldn’t be somewhere I have to go, with all the wasted time, money or hassle
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 13:47

"For years I lived and worked in Edinburgh ... both quite central but it still took me half an hour door to door, so that’s 5 hours or almost 1 working day wasted travelling each week, plus the bus pass money, still getting wet when it’s raining etc."

...how is it "wasted" if the end result is that you work & earn money to live?

"Because I was in the office I had to buy lunch which was more expensive than going through to my kitchen (and the stuff you but is not good for you)."

You didn`t "have to" do anything - make a lunch the night before & take with you! Healthier & far less expensive. Easy.

"When in the office, yes I could speak to folk but then you forget all the usual downsides (person nearby speaks so loud you can’t hear yourself think, trying to find quite private places for more sensitive conversations, trying to book meeting Rooms (all of which is provided in my more comfortable, better laid out, better equipped, more private and quite home office)."

If there are people in your office who speaks loudly then tell them politely to pipe down! I get that you can work away in your "more comfortable, better laid out, better equipped, more private and quite home office" but that`s not typical of the situation the majority of us find ourselves in. I`m stuck in a corner of my bedroom. Many more are sharing a dining room table etc. My next door neighbour is currently getting an extension built (joy) - add to that bin lorries, fish vans, etc & bairns charging around houses during the day & it`s hardly peaceful.

"I don’t need to go to work for my social life or to see pals, work is something I do and shouldn’t be somewhere I have to go, with all the wasted time, money or hassle"

I don`t need to do this either but I`ve met some of my best friends at work in the last 30 years. I`d never have met them if I sat in my bedroom for 30 fkn years. And the people I grew up with & went to school with have, bar 1 or 2, become no more than FB friends.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Jan 13:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 17:48

Was on furlough for about 2 months hated it. Missed the banter etc much rather be at work (can't work from home in my role)

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 22:00

Is hardly grounds for an argument. Working from home suits some people, working in the office suits others. Nobody is right or wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 22:06

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 21 Jan 22:00

Is hardly grounds for an argument. Working from home suits some people, working in the office suits others. Nobody is right or wrong.

Yes but hardly an argument. Heated debate 😁

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 22:14

My job can easily be done from home meaning I save time commuting and save the cost too.

I used to take my own lunch so no saving there.

I'm lucky that I'm in regular contact with my team and others but I'd imagine it must be quite isolating for some.

What I'm interested in is who is still going back and forth (no pun intended) over the Queensferry Bridge apart from lorries. The guidance is you should not be going into the workplace unless absolutely necessary.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 22:39

After the issues with falling ice last winter, I was under the impression that a solution was to be put in place for this year. I know that there's other more important things happening just now and a fix for the problem won't be a small job but the government deserves criticism for not having this sorted or the old bridge operational in reserve.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 22:55

Apparently there is no fix for the problem... Not yet anyway.
Some guy in a shed somewhere will come up with a solution.all the best inventions come from sheds.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 23:07

Quote:

widtink, Thu 21 Jan 22:55

Some guy in a shed somewhere will come up with a solution.all the best inventions come from sheds.

So it would seem. How ridiculous is it that there are 2 great bridges there sat side by side and people are having to take half a shift and drive an extra 30 odd miles to get to work via Kincardine.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 23:18

Found this online...

Transport Scotland said it has not found any method or technology that would completely remove the problem of ice build-up.
Operators of Denmark’s Oresund Bridge, the Uddevalla Bridge in Sweden and the second Severn Crossing in England, and many others all experience the same problems.
Bridge operator BEAR Scotland said a system of weather sensors meant it could monitor conditions and take action.
Director of roads Hugh Gillies said: “The better we understand the conditions that cause this issue, the greater our chances of success.”
In a letter to Labour MSP Alex Rowley, Gillies said: “A review of measure on other bridges has been undertaken to explore the options available for the Queensferry Crossing.
“As a completely successful prevention or removal methodology has not been identified, currently most operators close the bridge and wait for the ice to fall.”

So it looks like we're stuck with this nonsense whenever there's a cold snap ... But I did read that they plan to divert traffic over the old bridge in the future . But they can't do that just now because of ongoing planned maintenance on the old bridge.

Admin

Post Edited (Thu 21 Jan 23:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 03:25

The new crossing has been open three and a half years and we are talking about planned maintenance on the FRB?
What have they been doing all this time ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 09:29

"What I`m interested in is who is still going back and forth (no pun intended) over the Queensferry Bridge apart from lorries. The guidance is you should not be going into the workplace unless absolutely necessary."

I`m gonna go for NHS workers, supermarket staff, warehouse workers, food providers, pharmacy staff, delivery drivers amongst plenty of others. Pretty naive to think that only Lorry drivers should be on the road

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 12:43

That shouldn't be a significant number though. The bridge should be fairly quiet.

Interesting that some media outlets are branding it an embarrassment. It's an issue in many places.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 12:46

You can add an amazon shift change to that too

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 12:52

It IS fairly quiet but when you take those numbers and add them to the traffic already heading for Kincardine then factor in the bad weather, the outcome is a mess.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: D4FCB  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 13:31

Quote:

Solution - Trace Heating

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 17:03

Quote:

Stock the Forth full of sharks with laser beams on their heads?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 17:22

Hmmm... I think the crocodiles would eat all the sharks

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 18:02

Other bridges have had the same issue for years. There's supposedly no solution. They suggested fitting wee heaters but assume they don't work.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 18:43

Didn`t the heating system getting discounted at the planning stage because of the cost? I believe it was certainly discussed at public planning meetings.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 19:23

They could fuel it using the gas that's been coming out of the Dunfermline landfill for the past few months. The developer at Wellwood must be raging. Not sure the smell of eggy farts is what people are looking for.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 19:38

Plenty of fart gas next to the bridge courtesy of the sewage treatment plant.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Fri 22 Jan 22:28

Electric heated strips only turned on when temperatures are forecast to be low has to be the solution. The system is used on every set of railway switches in Scotland already.

I have seen in Canada that they drop a set of circular chain links down each cable every hour to prevent build up, however this need to be manually done, and is only required because of the extreme temperatures.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 00:24

No need for any scientific gadgets - just get the FRB in use as a back up

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 02:10

Just read on the BEAR site that the FRB is now open as the southbound expansion joints have been replaced and the Northbound expansion joints replacement is scheduled to start in March.
However... They state that if the new bridge was forced to close during peak times because of ice... The traffic would still be rerouted via Kincardine as it is not possible to rejig the approach roads at peak times.

Admin

Post Edited (Sat 23 Jan 02:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 12:52

I guess this is the article you`re talking about:

https://www.theforthbridges.org/news/forth-road-bridge-main-expansion-joints-southbound-carriageway-works-complete/

Quite an interesting read and obviously it`s pretty major work to replace these.

An aside to this - as an enginner in a completely different field, I always find it really annoying that people are often very quick to criticse things produced by engineers, without really trying to understand the technical issues at play. And yes, I have just had a pishy week at work with exactly this issue!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 13:11

I really don’t understand why it should take hours and hours to set up a diversion to the FRB ?
I’d like BEAR to be more specific

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 13:14

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sat 23 Jan 13:11

I really don’t understand why it should take hours and hours to set up a diversion to the FRB ?
I’d like BEAR to be more specific

It's easy on the Edinburgh side but the Fife side has enormous crash barriers. Really it should have been better configured to allow for a fairly simple re-routing. The simplest way just now would be to send people down the Ferrytoll slip road, but that introduces delays due to the roundabout.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 13:39

So in summary:
These issues are well known about on this type of bridge in colder climates.
The diversion is unpalatable for obvious reasons.
We haven't designed the approaches to the bridge to factor-in diverting to the old bridge quickly and safely when required.

Conclusion - someone's cocked this up. Quite possibly not an engineer by the way. They are not normally the decision makers.

And what makes it worse, they knew about it a year ago and did nothing about it (by the sounds of it) except pray for a good winter this year. Imagine the uproar if we had a couple of weeks of bad weather.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 13:41

It was a BEAR site that I read Socks but it's pretty much word for word the same.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 14:08

I`m not sure why they need to be any more specific, Raymie. The barriers need to be moved and a load of cones put down because there won`t be road markings taking the raod to the old bridge around the points of the split. I`ve never put out a load of cones to set up a diversion so I don`t know how long it takes, but it won`t be a 10-minute job.

"Conclusion - someone`s cocked this up."

Why is that the automatic conclusion though? One of the things that is rarely taken into account by those not familiar with engineering is that it`s all about making compromises. You try to make it the best you can, but ultimately you have to accept that nothing you produce is going to be absolutely perfect. At least one of time to produce it, cost, battery life, size or functionality will always be seen as `wrong`, regardless of how diligent you have been in designing it.

The design of the new bridge will have taken into account all kinds of factors. Cost and ease of maintenance will certianly have been considered, as will the wind shielding. I`m sure there will have been many other things as well, many of which I wouldn`t understand fully as it`s not my field. It`s possible that ice wasn`t considered and it`s possible that it was but the design that was produced was ultimately decided to be the best balance on all relevant factors. I don`t know, do you?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 14:17

Socks, I do believe you can access the FRB easily off the ferry toll roundabout?
Similarly, on the south side, exiting at the Queensferry roundabout would lead you to the FRB?

I appreciate there would be tailbacks at peak times but surely preferable to tailbacks and a 35 mile detour. ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 15:52

Its not the "automatic" conclusion Socks. By cocked up I mean that reasonable mitigation of the ice risk hasn't been put in place. I'm not one that just criticises the authorities just for the sake of it - especially when something can't reasonably be foreseen or the costs involved in a solution are unpalatable. The fact is that this happened last winter and it would be reasonable to have planned to avoid a repeat of the disruption. Or at the very least warn the public via news bulletins and the like if the weather forecasts show that closure is a possibility.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:19

It might be an option to do that, Raymie, at least for short periods before the barriers can be switched and cones put down to do the diversion properly. But, having all traffic go on and off the bridge via roundabouts with traffic lights would probably cause huge delays, and maybe the thinking is that it just isn`t worth it. I remember a day in 2006 when there were emergency gas roadworks on the A8000 that needed temporary traffic lights - I couldn`t get moved anywhere around Inverkeithing.

JTS - I`m not sure I get you. Your earlier post seemed to say that it was a c*ck-up because ice issues are well known, the Kincardine diversion is not a good option and there`s no quick way to easily divert via the old bridge. Your later post seems to say that it`s a c*ck-up because something has not been put in place after what was learned last winter. Which is it?

It looks likely to me that the intention was to finish the expansion joints on one side of the FRB in 2020 and use that bridge as a contingency this winter if required, with some trials before winter to see how well it worked. It doesn`t seem ridiculous for that schedule to have been delayed by constuction having to stop for several months due to Covid, as mentioned in teh article I linked above.

The one thing I`m curious about is why ice build-up was (apparently) not an issue on the old bridge. I`d genuinely be interested to know.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 20:30

A total guess but I wondered if it might be from where the suspension cables meet each tower. All the cables will be closest together at that point so ice may be able to build up around them because of this.

There's only really one suspension cable on the old bridge with the deck suspended vertically by far thinner cables so less likely. I'm not an engineer however!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 21:26

Socks. Its both really. I'm sure that the design of bridge selected would have been studied in terms of its use in various parts of the world. In that sense I'd be surprised if it wasn't known that the ice would be an issue. Maybe it wasn't considered a big enough risk, who knows.
The bigger issue for me is not having put in place a reasonable alternative in the past 12 months.
I'm sorry but for this type of project, Covid is no excuse. Interior projects with much higher Covid related risks have continued while losing very little time countrywide. This type of civil work in the open air should not be drastically affected. The site management equally so since they just bring in more cabins and space everyone out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 08:26

How many times on average per year has the QC been closed to cars?
How many times average per year had the QC been closed to high sided vehicles?

Same question of the FRB?

How much money would it cost to ensure it was open those days and is it worth spending public money on that versus other priorities?

I have no idea of the above but anecdotally, I used to commute to Edinburgh on motorcycle and the FRB seemed to be shut a lot. my pals who still commute that way seem to have a much better experience on the QC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 11:06

You're absolutely right DBP. I'm not an Edinburgh commuter btw.
First point I would make is that the bridge project was apparently completed well under budget. I remember that being trumpeted a few times. And that was even including those stupid eye level lights that you have to endure when entering the bridge. What are they all about?

Secondly, a system that allows the traffic to be easily diverted to the old bridge safely and in a controlled fashion, needn't cost a lot; relatively speaking.

Thirdly, it looks like we've been lucky so far this year and this has only happened once. Imagine the outcry if all the essential workers and hauliers had this to endure for 3 or 4 days?

Lastly I think if you were one of those that took 3-4 hrs to get to work on Thursday you might be thinking that a solution that avoids the diversion is exactly what the government should be spending our money on when you remember that each one of them has had their own additional costs to bear.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Jan 11:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 13:23

"I`m sorry but for this type of project, Covid is no excuse. Interior projects with much higher Covid related risks have continued while losing very little time countrywide. This type of civil work in the open air should not be drastically affected."

Well sorry, but whether or not you think it should be affected, going by the quote in the article, it definitely has been affected:

"The pandemic resulted in a three-month suspension of work on site earlier this year and a subsequent modification of working practices."

Losing 3 months completely (which would have been the best 3 months of weather as well, given how dry and sunny last spring was) is obviously significant. I don`t see how that can even be in dispute.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 13:50

I guess we could go on and on with this. Clearly they've lost time. My point is that other projects I've been involved in lost very little. The new government office site at the back of Waverley station was closed for 2 days. They lost more time than that but not a lot.
A hotel project down south was closed for 6 weeks. Arguably it should have closed again since the turn of the year.
The point is that people were massively disrupted on Thursday and it didn't have to be like that.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Jan 13:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 27 Jan 15:46

Anyone planning on going over the water late Friday /Saturday /or early Sunday should read the link
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/forth-road-bridge-open-cars-19708816

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Jan 08:29

Just saw the info on Twitter Widtink. Seems like they are doing something constructive. Pity it had to wait till now but good all the same.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Jan 09:11

Fa-dum, fa-dum, fa-dum, fa-dum...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Fri 29 Jan 21:13

Why would you need to remove the barriers etc? Surely just send traffic down to the roundabout and shut off all other traffic to the roundabout.
Local traffic is sent up to 1C to join, this solution involves less than 100 cones!

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net